EDH/Commander General /edhg/

"Two Months Later and Still Mad About This Abomination" Edition

Last Thread: RESOURCES

>Full C17 Decklists:
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/commander-2017-edition-decklists-2017-08-11

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question:
Did C17 make tribal any more viable? If so, what cards fixed it, and if not, what would cards would you have liked to see to pushed more aggressively?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/marrow-gnawer-and-his-army-of-rats/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Thread Question:
I'm happy about Edgar because I'd been trying to make a tribal vampire deck AND have Sorin, Lord of Innistrad but Vish Kal while good, wasn't really what I was looking for.

It hink the only one of the new C17 commanders that ouright enabled a tribe is Arahbo, and even that's not really for commander in general. Wizards is way too broad and if Inalla is good I can bet dollars to donuts that she won't be part of an actual wizard tribal deck. Edgar might be okay since making a free body by doing what your deck probably wants to do anyway might be good but it's not as clear to me. The dragon was just fat dragon shit. It'll be a pretty good commander just for the free mox for all dragons but I don't think it's going to make or break anything. Interestingly due ot then ature of eminence he can really be any combination of colors you want since you never have to cast him and probably don't actually want to cast him ever anyway just due to mana.

3rd for Mairsil is /ourguy/.

>Did C17 make tribal any more viable? If so, what cards fixed it, and if not, what would cards would you have liked to see to pushed more aggressively?

No, because it focused on shit tribes, instead of the strongest tribes. The strongest tribes weren't viable at high competition levels, so making weaker tribes only slightly stronger isn't going to work.

The only exception to this would be the wizard tribe. I haven't examined all the cards, but there may be some that make Azami Wizard combo slightly stronger.

Though, Edgar is unique because he allows you to combine all the main vampire colors for the first time and you get a free little thingy for doing it so I guess in that Edgar also kind of enabled a tribe, at least in a way it was not really a thing before. I desperately wish his tokens had lifelink though.

>Lord of Innistrad with Edgar nets you free 2/1, 3/1 if you're lucky, vampires for life

Now this is progress.

>Edgar and Inala not being the SOLE reason to run a Tribal deck
>Ur-dragon making your shit cheaper and draws you cards and cheats cards out later in the game
The Tribal support is amazing.
Just because Inala is better suited for bullshit combos doesn't mean you can ignore her innate synergy.

Ith was in the cage, not Lim-Dul.

If you can cast it (whichyou should since Azami actually does plan to cast Azami), Kindred Discovery (?) is probably pretty good in Azami. Making all your wizards draw 2 cards instead of one for 5 seems pretty sweet.

>Dragons
No.
>Cats
Only Arahbo, Hungry Lynx, and Qasali Slingers. None of the other new cards have synergy or cats matter effects.
>Wizards
Beats the shit out of me, but seeing as how most other people say the wizards deck is gimped, probably not.
>Vamps
Edgar, Patron of the Vein, and Bloodline Necromancer. It helps them more than cats because Vamps already have a good tribal going for them.

>Lim-dûl
>Not Barl
Brush up on your fucking lore.

It sure is compared to what I was working with before.

You don't have to use my jank decks.

Cats are "I'm going to at least kill one person per game" tier after C17 in metas that don't end after 4 turns.

fuck

You're never going to cast Ur-Dragon and 5 color dragon tribal was already thing. Ur-Dragon as probably the least impactful of the 4. He may not even be the premier one because of Scion, but getting a free moxen is powerful in its own right. Point is in general it didn't enable a tribal deck that didn't exist before.

Inalla doesn't really make a real wiard tribal deck because so many cards are incidentally wizards and because it's a free ability you get from the command zone, you don't need to build around it.

does rings of brighthearth work with inalla's eminence ability if she's in the command zone? or is that technically a trigger ability?

Repostan from other thread

Let's hold your hand through this.
>Be design
>Take half greek myths and make a plane demonstrating shallow understanding of greek mythology
>Take other half of greek myths and add legionnaires
>Make a plane demonstrating shallow understand of roman mythology
>Rake in shekels

Who is the best 5-color commander?

Does it say "When" or "Whenever" in the ability rules text?

I was really hoping he made vampire knights for a subtribal theme but I like him too.

It's a trigger.
Tazri, heading Tazri Food Chain. Sliver Overlord otherwise.

who cares

Depends on what you want to use it for. As far as just what's good and that's all that matters, Tazri Food Chain is the best followed by Hermit Druid Scion iirc.

Sliver Overlord is not better than Scion Hermit Druid.

>5 color dragon tribal
If you ran scion as anything besides commander damage/recursion/combo then you were basically running craw wurm tribal.

>you don't need to build around it
What I just said about ignoring it's innate synergy.
We've gotten a lot of options this time around.

Fixed it.

Slivers being good is a meme

>Did C17 make tribal any more viable? If so, what cards fixed it, and if not, what would cards would you have liked to see to pushed more aggressively?

The general "Pick a tribe" cards like Herald's Horn and Path of Ancestry should help a little with less supported Tribal decks playing consistently, but I would have liked to see a few more artifact or otherwise colorless cars helping with "Tribes Matter" that could go into any deck.

>more viable
Well, yes. They would have to print anti-tribal to make them less viable.

The question is, I don't think any of the printed tribes got viable enough. I feel like the tribal support will just be used in better tribes.

No you didn't

God fucking dammit.

>resolve Sliver Queen
>infinite slivers, gg

These are all the new mythic legends. How would you rank them from best to worst? Or favorite to least favorite. Whatever you want.

You already posted this, bring something new.

Kindred Summons going straight into Horde of Notions.

You forgot there's another part to that combo and they still don't have haste so it takes a whole turn around the table to swing unless you have a haste engine.

You're still basically running "Craw Wurm tribal" with this, except instead of getting a free entomb for dragons to reanimate them and cheat them out while also getting for a turn anyway, you play your craw wurms cheaper and get a lot of ca in exchange for a much bigger upfront cost.

Ur-Dragon is my favorite because I dig dragons, but I really like Nazahn, Revered Bladesmith because I do bladesmithing as a hobby.

As much as I like Kamigawa, O-Kagachi is kinda a fail, really should have been atleast an 8/8 or something.

Well that was 3 or 4 threads ago and I also forgot to include Ramos in the last pic.

Edgar, Kess, Ramos and Ur-Dragon will be the ones that will be worth a lot once some time had passed.

I think Wizards are the most improved by far. Inalla's passive is absurd, the only thing keeping her from being OP is a relatively low number of Wizards being able to synergize with it. The Wizards that can however get so much better. Even cards that are otherwise janky in EDH like Master of Waves become so much better.

+/-2
>kess
>mairsil
>mirri
>edgar
>nazahn
>ramos
>arahbo
>ur-dragon
>inalla
>mathas
>licia
>o-kagachi

this list is very slapped together and filled with bias btw.

>desperately wish his tokens had lifelink

You're just gonna be skullclamping then anyway

Activated abilities have : in their text.

>ree entomb
Er, sorry, it's not free. I realized after saying it. I recognize that you still neeed to cast scion and pay 2 to get it. I knew that but i was contrasting it with effects you actually literally get for free so it can be misleading.

People are having fun hating on the cards but I can't bring myself to dislike any of them, even O-kagachi is finally filling a role in spirit tribal that has long been barely filled by having Child of Alara as your commander so you could slow down the game with a recurrable boardwipe.

You're always running Overlord as your commander because having a tutor as your commander is how you reliable assemble combo pieces.
Once you resolve Queen with Overlord of the field it's gg because you're going to either explode with mana echoes or ashnods and kill everyone with any number of ways that you've included in your deck.

>Not arranging them in columns

Okay, Hitler.

I'm weirdly drawn to Edgar.
I usually hate aggressive strategies and heavy tribal strategies, but I dunno. For some reason he seems really fun to play.

I know but it would be nice if he actually worked with the lifegain matters vamps. It's not a power level thing. Jut a synergy thing.

>Best
Ramos
Kess
Inalla
Mirri
Edgar
Nazahn
Mairsil
Licia
Ur-Dragon
Arahbo
Mathas
O-Kagachi
>Worst

I feel like "whenever you cast a thing you get a free 1/1" has some johnny ness about it that makes you wonder what you can do with it.

I was gonna throw in a True Conviction because so many vamps have stuff that triggers when they hit things.

yeah. it's more like a combo enchantment than a tribal lord.

The only catch is you do actually have to play vampires to do it which will probably hurt his potential by a lot.

>counters and tokens
>in a deck with no green
He's really interesting, and providing free chumps, sac fodder all game until you're ready to swing wide or combo is a great incentive to actually run subobtimal vampires over the many certified staples of the format.

It's a push in the right direction.
or maybe it'll end up being completely busted, speaking competitively.
Otherwise the jank is really fucking strong in this set and I love it.

but the vampires which are available are diverse and have lots of potential sacrifice synergies and lord abilities amongst them.

if i was gonna use edgar i probably wouldn't plan on ever actually playing him.

>once you have queen it's gg after you already have these cards on the field

So after you have overlord and queen and a haste enabler and mana echoes/ashnods alter (which the latter isn't an infinite) then everyone better look out lest they be defeated by this Rube Goldberg Machine of a deck.

How does this look

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/marrow-gnawer-and-his-army-of-rats/

Will never not be mad about O-Kagachi.

>Effortlessly defeated Yosei
>Destroyed the Eiganjo Castle protected by the plane's strongest enchantments and soldiers
>Strongest spirit in existance until Kyodai and Michiko merge.
>Literally destroys an entire army.
>6/6

>Rube Goldberg Machine
What part of "tutor for a commander" didn't you get. Basal SLIVER is another sac option you can tutor for with your COMMANDER if you don't happen to draw into either one of those.
You don't even need a haste enabler at first because you can destroy every last one of their permanents and then take them down next turn, fuck, you can even MILL them if you want. Like I said you have at least 15 wincons in your Sliver deck.
Slivers might not be tier 1 but if you take them lightly they will take the game.

I don't see the problem here.

yeah. huge failure.

they should have made it 3wurbg 9/9.

Literally 0 of the eminence commanders are actually worth casting, following the footsteps of Oloro. I mean they're fine but why would you bother wasting the mana? I just think the deck needs a high concentration fo vampires to consistently get and abuse the trigger, but there aren't enough actually good vampires to make him a real deck. This is as opposed to, say, Inalla, who you don't actually need to build around because so many powerful cards incidentally are wizards, and the power of making a temporary copy of any of the good ones is enough to play her as commander.

Making a 1/1 for free off any vampire is ok but not that powerful in and of itself in commander, but making hasty copies of even just dualcasters magus of the wills or snapcasters for 1 is worth it. Thisi s tough line to walk design wise so I'm not all that surprised WOTC wasn't quite able to nail it perfectly, getting that perfect thing where it makes a tribe powerful enough but isn't still powerful when you don't have to play the tribe.

Funnily enough, the card actually does most of these things, all but 1 if you want to make fun of Kamigawa's generally low power level.

Oh never mind it's all but two since I forgot they actually made it nonland permanent, lol

Edgar is definitely worth playing and attacking with when you have board presence.
Ur-dragon is worth playing if you can land it on the board and swing with it.
The others are eh when casting.

Swap the second row with the third row for cats, wizards and dragons to show the most viable subcommander and you're golden.

It trades with Yosei and is no where near the highest p/t spirit.

They were almost there with the flavor too. It's hard to represent a nearly omnipotent being with numbers. They should have really just gone whole hog with it and made him, like, a 0/1 indestructible.
Then give him haste so he can actually trigger his ability and get revenge consistently, and make his revenge trigger exile a permanent from the hand as well to really sell the feeling of "the living concept of revenge is fucking pissed at you for messing with him".

I corrected myself right after that sentence that they're actually fine for the mana but you don't have to so you generally won't. I actually do think if you really do build a dedicated Vampire tribal deck that that deck actually does plan to cast Edgar though so fair enough.

O-Kagachi not having indestructible is the one flavorful thing they got right about the card.

It just exiles Yosei whcih also prevents his ability and there's more to strength than p/t. He's also not the strongest in that sense either but as I said it was a joke.

My LGS has a playset of Patron Wizard for $30 (they spiked to $20 each), I'm only having second thoughts about it because who the fuck would want to trade 4 of them later on

>The strongest tribes weren't viable at high competition levels
What "strong" tribe isn't? You have Krenko, Ezuri, Merfolk, Gisa/Grimgrin/Scarab God, Karthus.

>The oe nflavorful thing they got right
The card is literally defined by the fact that someone crossed you and you punish them for it. It probably wasn't the correct portrayal of that punishment but this is like, factually wrong.

3wurbg
flying, trample, haste

o-kagachi cannot attack a player unless they attacked you or targeted a spell or permanent you control last turn.

11/11

But didn't MaRo say that Theros was too shallow?

That it's not a correct portrayal of the punishment due to being insanely weak for an all-powerful god card means it's not a flavor win.

Thinking about building him, what are some cards I should include?

I genuinely think they could keep it as is and just have it exile all of that player's non land permanents instead of just and the flavor would be fine. And yeah it hsould probably have haste.

>all of that player's non land permanents
they should have just made it exile a number of permanents equal to the amount of damage that it did to the player

I love granddaddy markovs art, totally going to buy the playmat.

Looter Scooter so you can turn him into a helicopter at will.

The only ones I don't like are Licia, Mathas and O-Kagachi, everything else I can dick around with.

no tribal is just a boring and subpr way to play magic

RIP the dream.

It's just alphabetical.

No, the thing you like is a subpr way to play magic.

>all-powerful god
The Kami war was unnecessarily drawn out, hence O-Kagachi not bring full bear to the table, you'll swoop down, take some shit out and do it again later. You're pissed but you've still got all the time in the world.

I dunno did he?

Lotus Bloom, Apprentice/Doomed Necromancer, Quicksilver Elemental, Lab Man/Mirror-Mad Phantasm/Demonic Consultation if you're scum like me, Necrotic Ooze, Faithless Looting/Cathartic Reunion/Tormenting Voice/Fact or Fiction/Intuition/Frantic Search/Careful Study/Deep Analysis, Thermopod, Feldon. My secret is Kozilek's Translator.

Morphling, AEtherling, Torchling.

Someone send this to blogatog so he can take the hint and stop fucking up cards based on renowned characters from lore in supplemental products.

Maro isn't even on the teams for supplemental sets.

Stop baiting.

Are you kidding me? I mean the trigger is better but it still only takes one thing, and it's bigger. That's it. Is that really all that matters, that it's bigger?

Maro hasn't been on any of the Commander teams. It's these twats:
Design
>Gavin Verhey (lead)
>Ben Hayes
>Jules Robins
>Mark Gottlieb
>Bryan Hawley

Development
>Bryan Hawley (lead)
>Glenn Jones
>Jules Robins
>Mark Globus

>tfw ordered one for 6€ on thursday
>has not shipped yet

I really hope the seller won't cancel my order, fuck.