In a setting where undead and monsters that make use of corpses exist and are a know threat people still use burials

>In a setting where undead and monsters that make use of corpses exist and are a know threat people still use burials.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=86f_U_q4SFg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Undead and monsters aren't always everyday occurrences, or even things people have previously dealt with in settings where they exist.

Yeah sure let's just not put people to rest and have a shitload of banshees and ghouls and ghosts and shit running around. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Presumably it happens in waves.

Some necrofucker wrecks a bunch of shit with undead hordes, and for a generation or two, everyone burns corpses, so potential necromancers can't get off the ground. Then enough time passes and people start doing burials again, and another necromancer fucks everyone's shit up with a horde of the undead and the cycle repeats.

So..? Just do sky burials instead, problem solved.

Well, burying them is a pretty good way to keep anything underground. Nobody's going to Kill Bill their way out of a cheap coffin and six feet of dirt.

But if it comes to that, it's cremation for everyone. And if that's for some reason impractical, dismemberment, burying the body under a lot of heavy rocks, and fitting coffins with iron bars are also options. If salt still works against the ethereal in this setting just add a pinch over the corpse to ward off evil spirits. Burning sage is also pretty good at that, just include it in the cremation process.

There's a whole lot of options to disable a corpse and make it generally unusable. Most traditions include some form of ritual or mark that provides enough protection. Well, shit, a burial itself is one of those rituals, rather than just putting a body under dirt, and cemeteries are often located on consecrated ground where evil entities can't hold sway.

Like, there's a bit more to a burial than just putting a body under dirt, and half of it is a lack of ritual that causes bodies to become vulnerable to evil influence.

I assume the OP is more pro-cremation than just hacking up bodies until they're no longer useful for necromonglers and tossing them in a pile

>And if that's for some reason impractical, dismemberment, burying the body under a lot of heavy rocks, and fitting coffins with iron bars are also options.
I prefer burying the dead face-down so if they wake up they'll start digging the wrong way. Or cutting the corpses' heads and putting them under their feet so they can't reach for them inside the coffin.

In line with real-life mythology (or mythologies), burying your dead properly was actually the surest way for them NOT to become an unread horror. Several feet of dirt (often next to a sacred structure) would do well to keep anything from springing up easily

It's just when circumstances -ususally involving massive dieoffs- happen, people don't always have the chance to bury their loved ones properly. And that's where necromancers, and scorned late family members, become a problem.

given that skellies and zombies mostly exist underground or in dungeons
its probably not something you have to worry about unless there is a necronancers tower within marching distance

Man they buried people in the old days when belief in vampires was still a common thing. They just dug up one suspected of being undead every now and then and jammed a stake through him or whatever the local custom said would help, then reburied him.

>burying your dead properly was actually the surest way for them NOT to become an unread horror. Several feet of dirt (often next to a sacred structure) would do well to keep anything from springing up easily
That's a very good point, actually.

>Several feet of dirt (often next to a sacred structure) would do well to keep anything from springing up easily
Then why do zombie hordes spring up from church graveyards so often?

Obviously coffins, sacred ground and church bells are doing squat.

you dont notice them when they do work, since the headline "church prevents zombie apocaylpse" wouldnt sell

for all you know, they would rise up every tuesday without them

Those churches followed the wrong dieties or didn't pray enough. If they were sufficiently devout towards a proper god, that wouldn't happen.

Cremation?

Do you wanna get firegeists? Cause that's how you get firegeists.

>so often
what do you mean "so often"

Hordes of the walking dead aren't exactly an everyday problem, and most necromancers likely resort to grave robbing to get their raw materials.

Denying the dead a proper burial is how you get angry ghosts.

All you have to do is persecute necromancers and post a guard at the cemetery.

So, the only way to truly thwart the necromancers is to pursue some form of eternal life? Because that's the message I'm getting.

That's why the emperor declared that all corpses will be cremated henceforth, and since the emperor is basically also the pope, this doesn't cause problems with improper corpse dispensation because it literally becomes the theologically correct way to deal with a body.

This is how my Cleric opened a brilliant burial scheme, by literally throwing the deceased into the plane of positive energy.
He made fuckloads of money, made people adopt his faith and follow his god even if they only did to undermine his buisiness and prevented the undead from ever occurring, forever.

It's not like a necromancer is going to go in there, right?

What is the easiest way to gain eternal life other than pursuing necromancy?

Why do YOU think the world is teeming with necromancers? They all started out wanting to thwart the evil necromancer too...

Ah shit THIS is how you get positive energy zombies and those fuckers don't get smote easy

I would like to point burning cremation historically was much more costly then most burials even with grave goods and grave markers. It takes a lot copped wood to burn up most of a human body. Also smells like ass without the uses of very costly incense in large amounts.

I would like to point out that in many of the old myths the act of cutting up the dead would case undead beings to haunt people.

All the dead are buried wrapped with heavy chains and leather belts, so even if they rise they will not be able to move.

This also provides industrial development.

sky burials are probably the easiest way to completely destroy a corpse. One man with a knife and a large hammer prepares the corpse including its bones to be consumed by vultures. and scattered to the winds.

This method has been tried multiple times by Mr. Ozwell E. Spencer and his subordinates on different occasions with hilariously devastating results for everyone involved.
It doesn't fucking work, at all.

Because something has to happen in the movie!

And this is why druids don't usually have to deal with undead hordes.

That's why burials need to be heavily regulated.

Ashwraiths are even fucking worse, it's like small pyroclastic flow that can chase you uphill.

>what is Frankenstein

Hey, if you want to put together little splinters of bone and greasy chunks of vulture hork, be my guest.

>It's begun.Young heroes, I was once like you. You have come to this place seeking to bring judgement upon the damned. You will venture deep into forgotten lands. You will see wonders beyond imagining. But, be warned. The land itself will rise up against you. Long forgotten terrors will smother your courage. Sacrifice everything as the final darkness falls...

>In the end, all that awaits you is death. Only then will you understand. You've been following in my footsteps all along. So come then, you heroes! Come in all your power and glory! For in the final hour, all must serve the one... true... king...

youtube.com/watch?v=86f_U_q4SFg

>in a real world where viruses and bacteria are everywhere and people still go out without a hazmat suit

Sometimes the risks aren't that severe.

>DO SKY BURIALS
>NEIGHBOUR CITY NEWS: ITS RAINING FUCKING CORPSES

Get your curseswords and horned helmets boys and girls, its time to save the world from the forces of Good!

Years ago I heard a hilarious story about some of the ressurectionists.

>Scoping out fresh bodies in a city cemetery
>Young woman being buried with her pricey wedding ring that day
> Ressurectionists return at night for body and bonus wedding ring
>Digs up body and begin work
>Tries to pull wedding ring off, but its stuck
>Pulls out knife and starts cutting off her finger
>She screams
>They scream
>Grave robbers leg it and reconsider their job options
>Newly un-dead housewife wanders home in the early hours of the morning covered in blood and grave dirt
>Family at home still awake and upset at her untimely passing when they hear a knock at the door
>Husband opens the door and dies of heart attack

Several undead creatures of myth are a response to improper burial.

Especially spectres, poltergeists, phantoms, apparitions, revenants, and all manner of extremely dangerous undead.

There are also many religions where, even if it doesn't create an actual undead, it will seriously mess up the afterlife of the deceased. This is why I will always disagree with "good/industrial necromancy". The mere act of disturbing a corpse can fuck with the soul that used to be attached to it. Raising their body to perform manual labor has to really mess it up.

But think of the economic benefits! Why, if you plan for your lower-class workers to die so you can raise them as FREE workers, you'd save millions!

I'm just saying

The Buddhist and Hindu countries very rarely have to deal with the undead

Makes you think

They use proper burial rites to ward off monsters and evil magic, dummy

I love how in Warhammer the cemeteries are big mazes guarded by knights in plate armor.

Actually there are evil spirits possessing corpses (vetalas), ghosts (bhutas), corpse eating monsters (pishachas and sometimes raskshasas)

Reincarnation is a mockery towards creation.
It's just necromancy in drag.

>Vetalas
Very rare, because some fool wasn't cremated. Some Brahmin didn't do his job.
>Ghosts
They can still happen even with proper burial if the person had built up much bad karma.
Fuck you and your mother u fuck. Reincarnation isn't the same as necromancy anymore than recycling is.

Necromancy IS recycling. And so is reincarnation.

I would agree with "industrial" necromancy causing problems but I still think there's room for a more benevolent sort.

It'd revolve around the techniques involved, honoring the spirit of the dead and respecting their body being central tenants. Disturbing a buried corpse in any manner is immensely disrespectful and most "positive" necromancy would probably be about utilizing the ethereal more than the corpus.

A paladin lord calling upon the honored dead of his order, raising a holy army to fight a rampaging demon horde, or a wizard consulting the spirit of his former master in order to complete some important world-saving ritual. A more mundane example would be speaking with an freshly-slain murder victim to identify the killer, before burying the body respectfully.

Sorry that I don't accept a demoting and degrading restart-button philosophy towards life.