How is that bad DMing?

How isn't it?

How isn't it not?

It rhymes. Like poetry.

I once met my previous PC.

He tried to steal my fucking sword.

Did you kill him?

Nah, he got away.
Met him again later, but by that time there were bigger problems to worry about.

Don't reply to trolls, dummy.

btw:
Rey is not confirmed a skywalker.
they imply, but she actually has the manners of a kenobi or a (good graces!) Palpatine

>last combat
>swinging my sword at an orc
>miss every time
>finally, someone else surprise attacks my orc and kills it
>turn around and use my longbow to shoot at the last orc left
>it's been hit several times already
>crit
>it dies to minimum damage
Dammit.

>today
>swinging my sword at some living twigs
>miss three times
>all the twigs on our side get thunder waved to death
>turn around and shoot at the last twig monster left alive on the other side of the room
>crit
>it dies instantly

DAMMIT

all of those are bad options, thats the point. If they weren't hacks they would be able to make 1 movie without the main plot/characters of the original movie present. RIP SW EU (the only good part).

Do you even space opera ?

She's still a massive Mary Sue.

>"Mary Sue"
>user uses buzzwords and didn't watch the movie.
GG user. GG

>Have a GM that does this.
>Often hear bardic songs and other legends about our characters from previous campaigns.
>They're often hilariously wrong.

Not the same user but she is, though. Handed iconic lightsabers, starships, and skills just because.

>being this much of a failed abortion

I have a friend that do this the other way around, his new character is the father of the previous character(and they are all barbarians).

Almost... kinda... I mean, sort of... like Luke...

not knowing that mary sue is an subjective term and that the movie is using many tropes popular in space opera.

>Runs screaming from a lightsaber
If this character counts as a Mary Sue, I never want to hear another faggot complaining about Luke and power converters ever again.

Could... you... make... your... point.. without.. d...o...i...n...g... this... maybe... please...?

..........N.......... . . . . . . . . . . .... . . . . ... . . o....... . . . . . .. . . ... ... . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . ?

Luke was established as a racer and was familiar with how to pilot x-wings beforehand. In addition Obiwan was watching him because of his relation to Darth Vader and gave him his father's old lightsaber. Lastly Luke didn't win a single lightsaber fight till the last movie and still needed to get bailed out at the end. Bait harder.

Our group's been doing this, where after a full year game IRL we swapped to new character after a 20-year timeskip. A couple of us are playing second-generation characters, but the rest are playing entirely new ones. The first campaign was loosely based on Kingmaker (very, very loosely) with added personalized Mythic progressions. My LN Tactician became the king and turned out to be the reincarnation (maybe?) of Aroden.

New character is his non-mythic daughter, who started CN but has steadily swerved CE, who hates dealing with her stick-in-the-mud dad, who is now the quest-giving NPC.

>Luke flew small spacecrafts because he flew something similar before
>Luke wasn't able to use mind tricks until RotJ
>didn't even use lightsaber in combat in ANH
>didn't actually use the force until ESB
>the first time he went to solo with BBEG he got demolished, and he recieved at least basic training from one of the setting's greatest force masters
Meanwhile
>Rey is on board of the Falcon for the first time and flies it better than Han
>uses mind tricks like it's no big deal
>suddenly wins an almost lost duel because just use force dude lmao
>it all happens in the first episode

Luke had to be taught most of what he knows. He was a skilled pilot from the start of EP4, trained with Obi-Wan & Yoda & his original stuff came from experience or his refusal to kill Vader.

Luke actually had a really long training montage and still sucked at most things. Rey, on the other hand, is able to spontaneously do whatever she needs and does everything better on her first try than people who trained all their lives, in addition to getting handed free stuff and adored by everybody for no reason. That is pretty much the definition of a Mary Sue.

Yeah it's mentioned off-hand that he was trying out for the pilot academy or something.

They really should have had the last fight in ep 7 go the opposite way. Rey fights and loses, and the stormtrooper fights and holds the line (because he has combat training to counter jedi).

Him being a pilot is mentioned a few times through the movie. Usually in casual conversation (and occasionally in cut content), so people tend to forget about it.

I say that Rey should have lost against Kylo in order to show she's not perfect & that despite her abilities, she still has lots of room to grow. Now that she's winning 24/7, her wins don't mean much.

>He was the best star pilot in the galaxy, and a cunning warrior. I understand that you've become quite a good pilot yourself. And he was a good friend.

>But who's going to fly it, kid! You?
>You bet I could. I'm not such a bad a bad pilot myself! We don't need to sit here & listen.

He'd also shoot wamp-rats or whatever they were called, I remember him mentioning that when they were talking about the size of the weakness in the Death Star.

But yeah, Luke took a while to manage anything. He had some basic training from Obi-Wan, possibly some skills he'd gathered between the 4th and 5th movie, then he had to spend a lot of time training with Yoda.

The problem is a lot of the problems with Rey could have been explained with just a few lines of dialogue or brief scenes. Need to explain how she can fly the Falcon? Make it clear she's piloted other ships, or spend time doing more than just salvaging them. Try to give the character a chance for some build-up. But I understand I'm biased because I like the storm trooper and his rebel buddy a lot more, and I wish the movie had stuck with the same atmosphere they'd had immediately after their escape, what with them quickly forming a friendship and getting ready to take on the galaxy together. I liked that.

I'm glad players enjoy it, I enjoy doing it when I run the game. My group had a campaign that ended abruptly when someone else was DMing, so the future of the characters is largely unknown. I made my character fuck up bargaining with demons and create a mess that moved the current campaign along, the new party finding him on death's door pleading for them to make things right, dropping his name before dying. The group dug it, and were pleased to inherit some items they recognized from the other adventure.

Rey is actually the reincarnation of the Light Side (which identifies as feminine) after the Force Tree on Luke's island world separated its essence into two beings, a brother and a sister. Since masculinity is violent and forceful, the brother was a reincarnation of the Dark Side of the Force, and in his rage slew his Sister only to deeply regret his actions.

Where do you get that from ?

>I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home. They're not much bigger than two meters.

I toss in stuff from the last campaign often, but since my entire group is normally different, no one gets the reference except me.

I've had a few GMs weave things together pretty well, like getting to talk to a character from a one off during a later campaign in the same setting.

It's a joke about the SJWization of Star Wars.

the deleted/re-added scenes with biggs usually mention his piloting as well

no, it's a joke about a horrible trio of episodes from TCW, where anakins actions really do lead to the Brother (the dark side) slaying the Sister (the light side). it gets worse when you realize that this ties into the shitty fate of the jedi novels as Abeloth is very possibly the Mother

While I can take or leave having a every game set in the same setting. I can appreciate that if it were to happen there is a sense of continuity. And I can respect the commitment of time and effort the players and GM have put into it. I wish I could have gaming groups with that much stick with-itness. But I'm old and we all have adulting to do.Enjoy it while it lasts user. Chances are it won't.

>it all takes place in le same universe xD
This is how I know you're millennial trash. Your urge to have all of your stories take place in the same "universe" because you've been told that it makes for a good story.

Generational story sucks because it means the setting doesn't change much since it all takes place in the same region/planet/country.
What's great is to have wandering minstrels from faraway lands singing the praise of their homeland heroes (which are your previous party) or have one of said heroes retiring on the other side of the world that your party eventually meet in their adventure. Makes the world seems large since your previous heroes didn't cover the lands your current heroes are in now, but it also makes the old heroes seem legendary since even here their legends are known.

The risk I find is invalidating a player's former characters, especially if they're still around as NPCs. If they're big-name heroes, why haven't they stopped whatever bad thing is happening already? The GM has to awkwardly make sure they can't interfere with things for whatever reason, which might mean messing with the characters themselves - giving them flaws or changing their outlook on things. They might even get killed off as part of an emotional hook.

You sound like a very bitter, sad, lonely person.

Kylo is also a skywalker

You stop that.

>and flies it better than Han
He won it in a card game and NEVER understood how it worked. Chewy barely did. Remember when they got C3PO on and he was telling them how to actually fix shit?
And Rey canonically does know her shit: she built her speeder, and had to know good ship components from bad if she expects to sell them.
>uses mind tricks like its no big deal
After exposure to a natural holocron (the lightsaber), three tries, and against someone who was brainwashed into being easy to domineer since they were a child. There are Star Wars characters who have gone much farther on much less.

I like the way Runequest handled this back in the 80s. High-level ex-PCs are just too valuable to risk in low-level operations. If they were present, the risk was too large for them to be able to handle on their own. It was a community effort where the PCs were still relevant.

>tfw met my character from a previous campaign
>he's enslaved to an epic level dragon (campaign ended at 12)
>he's a dick because my DM had basically a one dimensional grasp of the character (also he's enslaved)
>he's a end-of-early-game boss that the party breezes by with minimal risk
>it turns out the dragon, Epic Level Enslave and all, is a good gal

feels bad man

Bear in mind that A) the trio of episodes is literally "it was all a vision" by word of Dave, and B) Abeloth wasn't linked to Mortis until the last book of Fate of the Jedi, which was released over a year after the episodes were.

Have a great deal of knowledge and understanding of mode of transportation operates in technical terms does not in any way shape or form translate into practical driving/piloting skill.

If I spent years studying how airplanes function and got to know their inner mechanisms inside and out to the point where I was considered a leading expert in the field, would you be confident in letting me pilot one in difficult conditions in spite of the fact I've never piloted one before?

Leaving aside the fact that she pilots the ship better than Han, the simple fact that she can perform what are clearly difficult maneuvers with the thing (such as navigating narrow spaces) is enough to destroy my suspension of disbelief.

TFW waiting on the consequences of current campaign to design a world forged by the impact the characters had

Can you explain what is actually wrong with a shared universe that you play multiple adventures in? It seems like as long as the world is good, it's a way for players to become increasingly attached to the setting and allows for some great moments where previously established material comes back up. It can definitely be done wrong, but I don't see how it is intrinsically a bad idea.

>Played through a generational campaign that lasted 10 real years
>Takes place between two worlds
>Each generation fought an evil goddess and couldn't kill her, so they'd try different methods of trapping or banishing her only for her to show up a century or so later
>My initial character actually betrayed the party to work for the goddess while secretly sabotaging all her efforts and putting the blame on her other minions
>Every time she returned after that, her evil immortal General was an almost copy of that character except fully loyal
>A thousand years later, that generation has no idea how to deal with the goddess and her General and decide to resurrect my initial character because history recorded him as "the clever one" for destroying her from the inside out.
>Informs the party that the fucked the goddess and that the evil immortal General is his son
>He runs off at the first chance he gets, steals a ship and vanishes because he did all this shit once and didn't want to do it again, especially now that he's got family on both sides.

>shitting on Greyhawk

You're retarded. If the campaign is comprised of important events that have impact on the world, the players will see the effects of their actions when they return to it in the next campaign. It has nothing to do with the quality of the stories, but rewarding your players and encouraging their investment in the game.

That's an understandable concern. It's hard to find an explanation for that, unless they're old or the threat isn't so big that they feel low-level adventurers can't handle it. Perhaps they've retired and devoted their time to other pursuits, and are now out of practice and largely unable to fight effectively.

I'd laugh pretty fucking hard if she was a Kenobi.

You know god damn well Obi-wan died a virgin. She's a Skywalker.