Can your party handle hostage situations delicately, or do they go full Spetsnaz?

Can your party handle hostage situations delicately, or do they go full Spetsnaz?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_theater_hostage_crisis
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beslan_school_siege
youtube.com/watch?v=ej5Z8f8-DcQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Crossroads
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_Task_Force
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Three casters, a paladin and RIP AND TEAR in Goliath form
That's a solid no from me.

>Way back
>Had captured a major villain, and was dragging him somewhere or other more secure than where we caught him.
>Managed to get ourselves surrounded by a small army of his lieutenants and such, and we were pretty severely outmatched by their combined force.
>But of course, we have a guy holding a knife to said leader's neck, so a standoff develops.
>Bard eventually breaks the stalemate, by pulling out a Deck of Many Things and threatening to rapid-fire draw cards until he (and probably everyone else nearby from what it summons) is dead unless the baddies back off.

I feel there's space for a misogynistic interpretation of the pic in question but I'm too tired to fill it with one.

>assuming xir's gender
Woah sexist and racist much?

Regular shitposting is still shitposting.

Somewhat related...
>Supposed to infiltrate a "church" that is actually a front for a thieves guild.
>Go to their happy-friendly recruitment drive held at a local inn.
>Find out the food is laced with some sort of poison. Probably to knock us out before SPOOKY INITIATION RITUAL.
>Rogue and sorcerer slight of hand, ranger and barb (me) try our luck with con saves and fail. The last person left to eat is the Paladin.
>Goes full Deus Vult because these guys are obviously EVIL, pulls out her greatsword and goes lethal at the drop of a hat.
>Luckily my character and the ranger wake up at enough time to turn the brawl that would have swamped the party into a full on murder-fest with no survivors.
>In the eyes of the law, we just slaughtered twelve holy men.
>Fuck.

The party had a situation with one of the members called out to a duel, with hostages being held at knifepoint in front of a farmhouse to keep the others away. The group snuck through the house and successfully executed a coordinated maneuver and incapacitated all targets like a SWAT team.

NEVER surrender your weapon. If you do, you are likely to become the next hostage, or just be shot.

>full Spetsnaz

Oh, but there's so many delectable flavors of Spetsnaz

>or do they go full Spetsnaz
What do you mean by this? Is it like a good thing or a bad thing.

>no survivors
>no witnesses

Willfully massacring large numbers of hostages with BTR fire, thermobaric rockets, and small arms because you're too incompetent at Special Operations to even try to infiltrate and rescue. Of course, if you talk to deluded slavaboos this is apparently a good thing because boy golly you showed those hostage takers not to fuck with you!

>Willfully massacring large numbers of hostages with BTR fire, thermobaric rockets, and small arms
Repeating your dumb bullshit again?

Read that as
>or do they go full Spinoza?
and now I'm picturing Spinoza ramboing the shit out of things.

Can you show examples of this?

I'm not really sure what you're talking about, but I'll assume you're one of said deluded civilian slavaboos with a weird obsession with the mysterious eastern "special" operators that gets booty blasted every time someone makes fun of them. Don't worry, the Russians just started issuing socks to their guys a few years ago. They're moving on up in the world and their combat arms surely won't be a laughing stock to every competent Western military soon lol

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_theater_hostage_crisis
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beslan_school_siege

t. western propaganda organ

My character *was* the hostage, and still went full Spetsnaz.

The party is comprised of a cleric, 2 paladins and rogue/flagellants.
So full deus, Spetsnaz, burn them all, vult.

Last time they encountered hostages
they burnt the building down,
built a shrine on the ashes,
and the rogue is still selling "holy" finger bones.

>I'm not really sure what you're talking about
You know what I'm talking about. This is not the first time you post your dumb shit on this board. Because apparently talking about how 'competent' yet somehow useless Western military is relieves your existential suffering. I politely ask you to go fuck yourself.

The most famous Spetsnaz action with civilian / hostage casualties was liberation of... something in Georgia (Sakartvelo) about a decade ago. It's considered "good thing" that the response was so indiscriminate because Russians loathe Georgians for their independence. And that reputation rolled with them since.

There are survivors, Sergei? Why can't you follow your orders, Sergei?

He's making reference to theses, and their general tendency to be, overly heavy handed.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_theater_hostage_crisis
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beslan_school_siege

Depends on what you think is good and bad, respectively.

What's wrong with offing everyone on site? Anyway, it's our people, not yours, so we do what we want to them, not what foreigners want.

Dats dictator talk

It's suppose to teach the terrorists that hostages aren't worth shit as human shields. Dunno if they took the lesson to heart or the political climate just change but I don't remember seeing another hostage situation in Russia.

>yet somehow useless Western military is
???

If you were actually a Russian infantryman I'd tell you to use your ancient footwraps that you just replaced with advanced sock technology to wipe away your tears, but I know you're a weird little guy that's most likely not even Russian but somehow feels obligated to defend your favorite incompetent embarrassments, likely because you spent a significant amount of your life jerking off to fantasies of secret squirrel operationally operating operators that you actually know little to nothing about. Stay mad tho lol

пoцeлyй мoй хyй

Not only as "human shield", but that taking hostage in general will lead nowhere.

нaхyй пoшёл

Yes comrade friend, it is the right of the state to spend human resources how it sees fit, for the glory of the mother land.
youtube.com/watch?v=ej5Z8f8-DcQ

No no no
You take your favorite combinations of words 'competent Western military' and get out of here into eternity of masturbation, my dear /pol/ shitter

Woah oh oh, hooked on a feeling? Tied to this ceiling and you're so. good. to me, whoa oh oh

Because it's not what we want to our people, comrade

typical bydlo think only about image, if government is doing "strong" things = good, if "weak" = bad.

this image never fails to get a chuckle out of me

The Warrior Summoner and the Warlock? Yes.
The Mentalist? Hell no. He gets "bright" ideas that wind up putting allies in more jeopardy than they already were. Like teleporting a pirate ship out from under it's crew (and the WarSum), to a mile over their heads, so when it crashed it nearly capsized the boat the party was on.
He's also nearly killed Romeo Exxet when the party was trying to HELP. HIM. by throwing a goddamned tree towards the compound they were trying to retake, crushing Romeo and the dude he was fighting under it.

Don't forget knock out gas, lots and lots of knock out gas.

Current group goes RP to Takers while our rogue element crafts an idiotic plan with far too many moving parts that never survives contact leading us into a bad spot, only to be rescued by the 'reason and diplomacy' folks.

Again.

Yes, this is a running gag in group. The players change, but the basic show must go on.

Raise Dead, that's your hostage negotiator.

i dont think hostage situations work good in fantasy.

We would certainly try and we MIGHT even succeed.
Party of Arcana cleric, Bladesinger wizard and fiendlock.
Depends on exact situation, but i see at least few options - Hold Person, Sleep, Repelling Blast, Invisibility. Warlock's 20 charisma (too bad the player feel RPing is waste of time).

They can't even handle an NPC offering them what they want

We have three simple tenants for situations involving hostages
>Shot first, ask questions later
>Let god sort them out
>If they are dead you can't prove that they weren't enemies

kek

Didn't that Moscow Theater hostage situation fiasco happen after that?

The one where the Spetznaz went full "Gas them all with nerve agents" and then forgot to tell the paramedics on scene about it.

full spetsnaz

King of Manpigs had a hostage and demanded a trade with a wounded party member, they answered in suppressive fire right the fuck away

Are the memes in this picture even based on anything, or did whoever made that just pull it out of his ass?

see Moscow theater 2002
Beslan school 2004

Military in-jokes for the most part.
The US Army Rangers one, for instance, is common banter aimed at the rangers by the green berets - despite the Rangers being the only one of the two authorized for Direct Action missions. If the USASF is in Direct Action, they fucked up. Bad.

>ranger and barb (me) try our luck with con saves and fail
Why do people do retarded shit like this?

Ooga cha cha ooga cha cha

>he doesn't remember the time seals infiltrated target trough toilet

This could be great way to commit a terrorist attack

Depends on the exact situation. I can easily shoot any target we need to, our cleric can talk people down and fuck shit up stealthily if need be, our bard can do a ton and is generally pretty smart, our druid is smart but can't do much beyond rip and tear (all that multiclassing), and our other bard is a piece of shit that'll solve the situation by killing all the hostages and join the hostage takers (I wish I was kidding).

I'd be going the DEVGRU route, the three other competent party members would go either Alpha or Foreign Legion, and the last guy would either go Unit 777 or SOF.

I like Joint task Force 2 one, being a leaf. Is the joke just that you don't expect us to have a competent military, or is there something more to that I don't get?

A combination of you guys not being expected to have a military at all let alone one as competent as they are. You guys are actually kind of scary.

The joke is that JTF2 was kept secret for over a decade and is still mostly shrouded in mystery

Gurkhas do have a (fictional) reputation for taking trophies from their defeated enemies. Headhunting, cannibalism etc etc too. They're nice guys in reality, very polite, they'll whip your swede off with a fuckoff great knife if you cross them but everything else is stories.

The one exception would be the Gurkha in Afghanistan who took a Taliban commander's head back to his CO, but that was a cultural misunderstanding rather than headhunting. To a British officer, 'come back with proof of death' involves getting your camera out and taking a photo of him. To a Gurkha, it apparantly means 'remove the cunt's head and leave it on your CO's desk before heading to the scoff house for dinner'.

An early recurring villain ended up, after a series of lucky magical effects with the Wand of Wonder, stripped nude and tied to our horse for a few sessions.

Drow sorceress. She wasn't happy.

>Drow sorceress ended up stripped nude and tied to our horse for a few sessions.

More information is needed for scientific reason.

Fun time activity: where is the implied JTF1?

fun fact: the name stormtroopers actually originated im what the germans called the Canadian troops in WWI, because we always seemednto accompliah our missions, even when they were suicidally impossible (vimmy ridge, anyone?)

I thought it was one of those cases where they called it two so that you would think that there is another group out there.

Probably using the British method of giving your units random numerical designations so no one knows how many you've got.

JTF-1 was the (temporary) group that conducted nuclear testing at Bikini Atoll

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Crossroads

There are dozens of JTFs and it's not a unique moniker for specops

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_Task_Force

Well, the last group i playedbwith was shadow run, so going by them... Depends how directly i take command. I once cleared about 20 out of 24 guards in the course of ten minutes, utterly silently so that noone knew what happened. When i called the others to help me deal with the final four, they went so loud I thought we'd bring reinforcements down on us despite being in the middle of nowhere.

On another occasion, after the face got caught trying to inflitrate a group, i carefully moved through the crowd before drawing my katana and slicing three of them to death while leaving the leader bleeding on the ground(split attacks+revels in murder+high as fuck blades, yay), and then the sniper nearly shot us(through a wall)with her rifle that i suddenly learned was essentially an artillery piece.

At one point a failed infiltration lead the sniper to steal a generic rifle and use it to snipe guards patrolling what was, in essence, a military compound.

>Playing modern tactical RPG
>Based on Delta Green
Hostages or "non-exigent threats" are the people we kill who aren't holding guns.
There's a reason the whole party is addicted to one or more things (including one actual recreational serial murderer)..

Well she was a DM favorite, crafty bitch. Typical Drow villain though. Hot, spider web dresses, magic all over.

We decided upon presented with her unconscious that we didn't want to kill her, just render her powerless. We had no idea what lf her gear was her mysterious artifact, so we stripped her to her underwear, and then decided better safe than sorry and stripped her of those too.

We gagged her with an Apple and some string, because spellcaster, and the barbarian actually broke two fingers on either of her hands just to make sure.

I'm too scared to try a hostage situation. My players can't even do interrogations properly.

>well the NPC didn't tell us everything he knew the first time we bluntly asked, so if the GM is going to be obstructionist like that I guess we'll just have to murder this NPC