Cyberpunk VS D&D

>Cyberpunk VS D&D
Which one is better & Why?

Well one is a science fiction aesthetic and one is a tabletop game, dunno how you can even compare the two.

Veeky Forums is suffering the persistent file bug again.

I enjoy the cyberpunk theme more than general fantasy theme. I've been fascinated with tech since an early age and enjoy futuristic and dystopian settings, so cyberpunk makes sense for me.

I still enjoy fantasy, though.

Why not have a cyberpunk game based on D&D rules? That would be very cool

i guess Veeky Forums would probably be able to give you a more accurate answer

Cyberpunk as a general rule in theory, but usually D&D in practice.

This, pretty much. It's a matter of taste really.

But if you're talking about the games (which I imagine you are, since we're on /vr/), I would say D&D has more and better games overall.

There are several. Notable pic related but Star Frontiers and Gamma World might also fit although mainly sci-fi/space themed.

There is also a tabletop RPG called Cyberpunk that's pretty decent. Most people go straight to Shadowrun though. It does have the richest well of source material out of all cyberpunk RPGs although Rifts is pretty good too.

Did you mean to post this on Veeky Forums?

1) why not both
2) setting or mechanics? I heard that Shadowrun has some fucked up rules and D&D is pretty much made of skub

There are over five editions of D&D and Shadowrun.

I think it's a matter of taste, but I personally like d&d fantasy more.

Apples are the fruit of knowledge.
Oranges are Trump's lost brothers.

>Rifts is pretty good too.

Yes and they didn't lift off. As usual d20 can't do anything well but hack & slash fantasy (and arguably superheroes with M&M).

Each of them worst than the other.

Seriously though, basically all of SR is a clusterfuck of autism, with editions only changing which how the autism is distributed, and the only editions of D&D with legit good, purposefully designed rules are the BECMI and 4e

Cyberpunk

Almost ironically, it tends to have more power spread evenly across the players.

This exactly.

The ability to get funky with tech levels of all sciences makes a more balanced party. Mutations, implants, nanotech, etc.

Everything Fantasy can do, Cyberpunk can do with nanomachines son

Everything Cyberpunk can do, Fantasy can do with magic crystals (see: Cryptomancer).

So at that point, it comes down to aesthetic. Both are hilariously corny when done well, but I'd overall go with fantasy.

would cyberpunk work for a Dredd campaign where the players are judges?

Dredd is pretty much literallly cyberpunk

Nah, they have some very strong thematic lines that divide the two

...says user whilst posting on Veeky Forums.

user originally posted this thread on /vr/

Cyberpunk is a setting not a game, unless you're speaking of Cyberpunk 2020. D&D is a set of (extremely mediocre) TTRPG rules.

4th edition. Good.

It's still better than 3.5 and 5E

And like that no one cares about any edition of dnd after adnd. They are all bad get over it with your mediocre systems.

I have more fun fantasy sessions than I have fun cyberpunk sessions.

The players and the DM might be at fault for that but I doubt it since cyberpunk is too preachy and full of social media bs (thematic messages) for something that supposed just to be a fun time for nerds.

>Setting vs. Rules
Which is more important?

I prefer cyberpunk to fantasy, but shadowrun's rules are a cluster fuck, dnd5e might be shit, but at least you can pick it up quickly.

Give me a rules system that's like 3.x difficultly to parse and is cyberpunk and I'll be happy.

>>Cyberpunk VS D&D
why not both

elf cyborg

Rules

Kinda unrelated:
Is there like a scifi version of Exalted where you can play as ancient alien beings or extraterrestrial demigods with ludicrious amounts of power but also reality scale conflict.

Like if you could play Lensmen, Culture, or whatever Forerunner/Progenitor/Old One tier 1 races