Two things

1. How does your character treat the concepts of god and religion (give as much info as you need about your character so as to make it coherent)

2. Listen to the following green text and help me figure out what to do with them.
>Party (a paladin two fighters and a bard) enters the Underdark hoping to rescue a prince whose kingdom failed to lower a sacrifice to Torog before he gets dragged too far to reach (Torog's followers are 5 one of them a priest the rest are mooks and a day's journey down from the party a week away from their 'point of safety', currently unaware of a chase)
>They complete the first day of the hunt deciding to rest at a relatively shallow and 'safe' part of the underdark
>Bard recognizes a statue as an altar to Torog, decides to take a lion's share of HIS gold and make an offering
>Paladin spots him
Following conversation ensues:
>Paladin: What are you doing?!
>Bard: ....Petitioning for a passage
>Paladin: You're praying to Torog, an evil god, you gonna ask him to have his followers return the boy too? Or maybe you're telling him what we're doing?!
>Bard: We are entering his territory, if we are to have any chance of survival we must sho-
>Paladin: *Smashes Altar*
>Bard: WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!
>Paladin: ....we don't beg forgiveness from monsters
>Bard: You doomed us all

Naturally both leveled up for that little show.

As for consequences I prefer something subtle, but anything you give is appreciated.

My characters are typically religious opportunists. They don't worship a god unless there's a reason. They might make tributes if it has any chance of helping though.

So far as your players, I would expect that encounter die may roll above level more often while they're down there.

The paladin is right, his gods approve, he gains some small intervention to help get to the prince in time. A distraction makes Torogs followers ignore one warning that something is after them, if the path splits the a small sign helps party choose the right one. Something like that.
The bard is a pussy. If he follows some other god, he is displeased and creates some incoveniences for him after the adventure. If he followed no god, he caught Torogs attention and gets some small bonus that would actually be horrific for a good guy, like someone he dislikes but doesn't want dead gets kidnapped, tortured and killed courtesy of Torog, thanks for trying to warn his priest,

This is a new point of view
I'll consider it

Fuck no. It's fucking shit.

Take the roguelike approach.

The Paladin now has "a debt" for actively offending Torog (fighting against Torog isn't a problem, He expects his enemies to fight him - but they fucking MUST PAY RESPECT, Torog is a GOD after all) and the Paladin must do penance.

If the Paladin doesn't do penance, the debt will increase with increasingly painful results.

And the Paladin won't get any support from his God, because Gods gotta stick with the Gods, fuck mortals. If you diss one God, you diss them all.

But the only real way he can show respect to Torog is with self harm.....

I think I can work with this. In fact I think I can work with both

what kinda roguelike are you talking of

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup has a pretty good, fair and above all FUCKING DEADLY system. IVAN has one too, but IVAN is a bit silly (in the "ROCKS FALL YOU FUCKING DIE" way) so it's not exactly the best fit for a tabletop game.

There's also Spelunky, but Spelunky's system is a bit barebones compared to actual roguelikes.

Sounds like the bard had the right idea. When in Rome, don't call the emperor a cunt and tell him his lions are shit.

That's what I thought,
can't complain about the Paladin though, he's had serious religious upbringing and made the expected roleplaying reaction.
I really want to punish him, but I really want to reward him too

Introduce a third faction. Some demon, or an evil god antagonistic to Torog. Some force that doesn't care for the Paladin's god or Torog.

The paladin's God wants the Paladin to do penance, to treat his fellow gods no matter how evil they are as gods - you're playing D&D right? In D&D all gods, good AND evil fought together against whatever the fuck lives in the Far Realm. They're all comrades in arms. They might disapprove on each others politics, but there's still some bond. To insult Torog by smashing his altar is to insult the paladin's god. This is a slight that MUST be fixed.

Of course, the third party doesn't want the slight to be fixed. This third party wants to see either the paladin fallen and in his grasp, or the paladin dead, killed by Torog for the insult (Torog is angry, paladin's God has lost a follower).

>....we don't beg forgiveness from monsters
That's really really fucking bad.

He didn't just destroy the altar, he called Torog a monster.

Torog might have let this slide if the paladin had called Torog an (evil) god, but by calling Torog a monster, he fucking insulted Torog.

And if I remember my Greek mythology, the worst thing you can do is attack the ego of a god.

This is difficult....
What other god can be watching?
It sounds lawful evil if it cares enough but there aren't many lawful evil Gods who would care(maybe Ashmedai)

Maybe a minor god but then I really don't see the point, and I don't want to make it more complex from a plot-management standpoint

Then take the easy route and make up your own lawful evil devil-thing, that is trying to become a god.

That wouldn't be so hard to do to be honest, seeing how Torog is unique as in that he seeks death by the hand of a mighty hero. This devil or demon might try to gather power through gaining followers, to kill Torog and take over Torog's portfolio.

I second this
The paladin has done as expected i'd say, and depending on the god he follows, should get a small reward, On the other hand, Torog should be upset and demand penance

On the other hand, the bard, now this is an opportunity. He has shown respect, and Torog could speak to him, offer a deal
> Get the paladin to penance in exchange for some powers

>The paladin has done as expected
>as expected

He fucking called a god a monster in front of his destroyed altar.
>In D&D all gods, good AND evil fought together against whatever the fuck lives in the Far Realm. They're all comrades in arms. They might disapprove on each others politics, but there's still some bond. To insult Torog by smashing his altar is to insult the paladin's god. This is a slight that MUST be fixed.

What does Torog appear as in a dream?

Also:
What does Naaru appear as in a dream?

Common problem, people act like pantheons in D&D are like interconnected monotheist cults. People should read up more polytheist myths on how gods with wildly different moral stances joined forces whenever a mortal got too uppity and insulted a single god.

Torog dooms the Paladin, but not in a lethal way as not to anger the Good Gods. Until he makes an apology, he will suffer a massive penalty to all checks that will allow him to avoid being restrained or otherwise denied freedom.

This doesn't just apply to snare traps and thick webs, oh no. This also applies to him being accused of crimes, or getting stuck into contracts that are dodgy as fuck. Also the entire fucking underdark seems to conspire against him. Mushrooms he goes near turn out to be shriekers, and any time he goes off he just HAPPENS to run into some drow elves. All this happens to the Paladin, and only the Paladin.

The price he must pay for defacing the altar is 150 hitpoints worth of blood shed in a single day.

Torog doesn't use such methods. If he wants to deal with you, he deals with you personally.

In person, or like carved messages on cave walls?

Spelunky is a roguelikelike not a roguelike

Likely a messenger commanding you go to him, or him coming straight to you depending on his mood. He is unable to leave the Underdark because of Gargash cursing him, so it would probably be something telling you to go to the Underdark and Torog himself meeting you.

Also, he doesn't use aspects or illusions. If you see Torog, it's literal Torog.