Warhammer 40k general /40kg/

assault centurions makin' a comeback Edition

>Necromunda is returning, much to sister player's butthurt
warhammer-community.com/2017/08/13/breaking-news-necromunda-returnsgw-homepage-post-1/

>Konor Campaign: Chaos keeps losing and even GW begging can't help it. Lost again!
konor.warhammer40000.com/

>Check your local store's contribution to the Campaign. Hell, maybe you'll even play (no you won't)
warhammer40000.com/fate-konor-galaxy-flames/

>GW FAQ (1.1):
warhammer-community.com/2017/07/23/updated-faqs-and-boots-on-the-groundgw-homepage-post-2/
>FW FAQ (1.1):
warhammer-community.com/2017/07/15/new-and-updated-forge-world-faqs-july16gw-homepage-post-2/
>Codex: Space Marines FAQ
warhammer-community.com/2017/08/10/codex-space-marines-errata-now-available/
>Codex: Chaos Space Marine supplement for Daemons, Thousand Sons and Death Guard players
warhammer-community.com/2017/08/13/daemons-and-thousand-sons-in-codex-chaos-space-marines-aug-13gw-homepage-post-2/

>Rules and such. Use Readium on pc/iphone, lithium/kobo on android:
>Everything 8th edition in pdf & epub, SW:A, WIP and BB are here too, no novels.
mega.nz/#F!64wmnBZR!rWcm37EkOOeToeueqhPjpA

>Other Megas
mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg
mega.nz/#F!9NchGZyZ!-V1LhJALxDp9Tw97WzEQGA
mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ

>WIP Math-hammer doc (Chart-user doing the Emperor's work)
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h0hk_IdJ7fivDEjMiIpKM5yMMB8HTm64lZHuKdLZCIU/edit?usp=sharing

Thread STILL pre-emptively claimed for Malal since OPs are lazy as hell

Thoughts?
Filename?

Fresh bread, fresh lists. I think this is quite flavorful, will use either salamanders, Raven Guard, or ultras for CT

HQ
>Captain on bike- teeth of terra, storm shield
>Lieutenant- power axe
TROOPS
>5 Scouts- sniper rifles, camo cloaks
ELITES
>3 Assault centurions- flamers, hurricane bolters (225)
>5 assault terminators- 2 LC, 3 TH/SS (242)
FAST ATTACK
>Bike squad- 2 plasma guns, combi-plasma
>Bike squad- 2 plasma guns, combi-plasma
HEAVY SUPPORT
>devestator squad- missile launchers (165)
>whirlwind scorpius (215)
TRANSPORTS
>razorback- twin assault cannon (100)
FLYERS
>storm eagle gunship (348)

Only thing is I'm not relying much on troops for anything and they are quite expensive, is dropping some scouts for a Dreadnought worthwhile even at a loss of CP's?

nth for how good are the quality/delivery time of Pop goes the monkey on shapeways? How much do you pay for, I guess international delivery?

>will use either salamanders, Raven Guard, or ultras for CT
dont fucking do this
pick your goddamn chapter and stick with it

Try again with an actual army and not this teenager crap.

>Blood Angels with and without armour

>what puberty did to me

Optimal grandmaster dreadknight loadout?

Heavy psycannon+psilencer and sword? Not seeing the real upside of the daemonhammer plus it looks dumb

285 points for a big beat stick that can reliably get a 2++ and deepstrikes doesn't seem too bad

>not 'cumming on Alexander Dembski-Browden for Chaos' Edition

What's the best bodyguard unit in 8th other than Drones?

You want all the CP you can get and you're going to have a hard time scoring

Define BodyGuard,

Blobs of Conscripts/Cultists are excellent meatshields.

Anyone have any Khorne daemons listbuilding advice? No shoot or psychic to speak of, deep striking is gone.

> mah fluffy list
> conveniently can use the best three Chapter Tactics
> literally nothing about it is fluffy for any of them besides 'RG like scouts rite guis'
> uses term bread instead of thread
4 strikes user. I'm impressed.

I want to rail that tranny on the left.

>not playing blood Ravens
I mean I just feel sorry for everyone that's not unknown founding or first founding, stuck with uniform CT's and not even getting parent stuff is lame as hell. At least I can adapt as my playstyle changes

Well, I do play blood Ravens, and I started as a teenager, but that was years ago. Face it man, gimmick lists are high rollers in 8th. Or are you referring to centurions?

CP, to what end? They're good for fighting twice, infiltrate, and all the super gimmicky stuff. That's it. I probably missed something though

Also troops are lame now, it's either fighting non-troops so you get it auto or blobs, where you're fucked. The snipers are more for blasting characters and backfield objectives

Hey guys I haven't played or collected since 3rd edition. Is it possible to play with fluffy lists without getting consistently curb stomped by everyone? Assuming the people you play with aren't ultra competitive ?

How do I arm my Renegade Knight?

>I think this is quite flavorful
>but I haven't picked a chapter yet
Then how the fuck can it be flavourful? You need to pick a flavour first you jabroni.

Marine honor guard are unbelievably good for their cheap point cost

>no longer a teenager
>still playing marines
I really hope you are not doing this.

>plus it looks dumb

The loadout isn't the problem.

> melee army with no fast movement options available
> also little ranged anti tank
Sounds like you are dead in the water thb

At what point did ADB go from competent writer to Chaos fan-wankery given consciousness?

Woah, I never said fluffy. I said FLAVORFUL, as in interesting and fun to play, which I think it is. Anything above hyper-casual friendly play featuring 3+ HQs and a specified amount of assault, dev and Tac squads with transports, 2-3 elites and minimal artillery support isn't fluffy.

Bread is more fun than thread

> bread instead of thread
/hhg/ refugees get the fuck out

>CP to what end?
For your list, flakk missiles will be phenomenal

Roughly when Carnac started posting about him.

Can you embark a unit in a transport after the pile in at the end of the fight phase?

I have checked the rules and it says after moving but then says that pile in is a "move". The guy I was playing was convinced it was possible and despite being obvious that it has to be in the move phase there is no way to prove otherwise.

>tfw you like ADB's work
>tfw people hate him not for his writing, but because he writes well for a faction they dislike

Honestly, any daemons but tzeentch or undivided are having a rough time.
you could run multiple Bloodthirsters+Heralds in a supreme command Detachment and summon some daemons in their face. This also lets you pick the units you need not the ones you brought, but yea its not optimal

You also have the skullcannon to shoot but its not much.

The good thing about Renegade Knights is that they arent forced to pick certain weapons

Unless you know your opponent also brings his own Knight-Equivalent. Just go maximum dakka as this is the only way to make buying the Knight-Body make up his points. Melee Weapons just arent good against anything less than Heavy Vehicles and you can stomp all the way with your feet

If everyone hates ADB's chaos, who do I read for chaos?

>54893075
>>tfw you like ADB's work
I've only read Betrayers but I liked it.

Cultists seem amazing now that they can reinforce.

Twin Lascannons or Twin Autocannons

Eh, not my cup of tea. Thanks for the idea though

But it's all ded, there's like three autists screaming about armor marks and 'ded gaem' and that's it. Plus 8th is nicer

depends on the list and player. get yourself a character or 2 to spam auras

i've had some luck running mono slaanesh getting in close and fast with seekers but i have no staying power. unless i'm rolling hot with lots of 6s they don't pop through units fast enough

>tfw Moriana is hinted at being Euphrati Keeler or a similar figure

Black Legion has been absolutely top tier, I love when writers make previous characters have a cameo in other related works.

depends on the rest of your list and which army and CT/LT you play

>but because he writes well for a faction they dislike
No, he really doesn't. He used to, but he's basically writing anime nowadays.

>playing generic power armor? What are you,12?
>you should play a mature army for mature gamers like me and muh edgy power armor, space elves, space orcs, space bugs, blue weebs, normal human soldies, space tomb KANGS, demons, burny space nuns, edgy space elves or spcae clown elves
Lets not act like any faction of 40k is some mature sophisticated thing

It's fantastic, with your cherub it's a 2+ to hit D3 mortal wounds against anyone with fly for 1 CP

I wonder what sort of anti-tank Death Guard will have when their new stuff comes around.

Not sure on getting Predators when the plaguecrawler tank might serve a similar purpose.

Just use a trip already. Sick of seeing this gif. Also get a pred on ebay

He doesn't write well about Chaos though. I like CSM because they are above all powerfull individuals that want to shape their own destiny, and are not afraid to sacrifice others to achieve their goals.

ADB however turns them into the tragic misunderstood anime anti-heroes that only do things because "muh prophecy" or "muh legacy" ... including waifus.

>=>54893075
>he thinks that any self admitted fanboy who writes for the faction he fanboys for is well received in any medium
I remember Ward getting shat on for the same thing with UMs despite being a Necron fanboy and copypasting C:UM wholesale.

He heard the word of Lorgar and saw the truth.

Damn, that's a good point. Thanks brah

Not sure if sarcasm ...

If true, that's almost worse than him turning Drach'nyen into his own personal OC doughnutsteel unstoppable daemon that can't be defeated.

Because Ward isn't interesting to read at all, ADB makes interesting fluff for everyone involved usually. His custodes stuff is superb

At the shoulders

No he doesn't. He's mediocre at prose, but his plots and esspecialy his characters are really shitty.
>fellow blood raven bro
My battle brother. List looks pretty good to me. I would drop some point to get a land speeder to use for the whirlwind stratagem. It works with stuff with the WHIRLWIND key word, right, not just units of whirlwinds?
Also, I'm not sure that 3 scouts squads with sniper rifles is the best choice. Mass scouts are best used for completely denying opponent alpha strike, and they do that very well in my experience, but if you're using them for that, which you should, why spend that many point on it? I'd do one or two squads of snipers and use the extra point to get more min scouts for that sweet turn one board control.

Submit to inspection!

I think someone's been handing out one too many rations to Guardsman Stevens

The Space Wolves don't answer to you!

The Daemonhammer is more consistent in terms of damage, turning any 1s or 2s rolled on damage into 3s. Hitting on 3+ ain't too bad anyways. That being said, the difference is rather minor between the three melee options and you should go with what looks best for you. For what it's worth, I have a sword on mine though every now and again I keep thinking if I should go fists instead...

Probably was sororita to the left, even has forks on her armor.

Emperor help us

Just picked up the codex. Any suggestions on what's looking good to take advantage of the Legion traits/stratagems? I'm already looking to pick up a Hellforged Contemptor with a Butcher Cannon or two.

Ward is better than ADB.
ADB's custards fluff is especially shit, and it revealed he doesn't even know how Lions work.

>dat absolute lack of effort from the guardsman

Why bother if you're not doing anything to make it look good.

>Keeler
>the first Imperial saint and one of the most loyal to the Emperor and his divinity

c'mon now, I defended ADB for MoM because it wasn't his fault he was given that task, being a chaosfag, but this is too much

So should I get that autocannon battery or the lascannon battery?

To be fair a sword/fist costs exactly the same as fist/fist.

The sword gains 1.5 damage per hit on average in exchange for wounding T6 on 3's instead of 2's. Not a gigantic difference.

Brilliant idea on the Scouts, I finally have a use for them here. I'll drop all the crap on 2 of them, freeing up 80 points, and redirect it somewhere else.

I can still take an apothecary on a bike, right? If so I think that'll be good for saving the bikers+rezzing possible centurions/terminators

What are you talking about user?
How can you not like my super special character who serves the gods of war, disease, rape and change but really doesn't serve them, no he'a just using them and he's got a sword that can kill anybody, and he loves his human waifu, but she died because the imperium is evil, but he's fighting to save the imperium from itself, because he's really the good guy who's been fated to win, because he's the best evar!
Truly this is the epitome of what makes chaos interesting, right?

Well, I do own some Tzeentch daemons as well I guess.

Wards fluff style was a large part of why Kirby era GW almost went under.

MoM and the first heretic had great custodes fluff and set the standard for the golden bananas

>maybe from the commissar in front of the marine
>sees legs
fuck no

The Sororitas in the back is totally tranny, right? The bone structure, the height, the soulless eyes of depression as he tried to make a smile for the camera but knows he'll never be happy. It's all there.

Every faction in 40k sees themselves as the good guys even Chaos, and the majority of the Chaos Characters ARE tragic/misunderstood Anti-Heroes like Ahriman or Lufgt Huron which are literally manipulated into following their "destiny/legacy"

Just because CSM are immsensively Powerful it doesnt mean that they don't have feeling or worries, they are still human.

Im more pissed by them sometimes being cartoon villain evil for evils sake instead of having solid reasoning behind their actions.

Wrath of Magnus was great because they had a justified vendetta

Go for a mix of MSUs and characters to get the best of Night Lords.

Nurgle Raptors with icon are -3 LD by themselves, a single character is -1 since he is a unit too.

Consider also Slaaneshi ranged murder teams.

Maybe go for daemon prince with warp time.

Whats the best heavy weapon on deathwing terminators? Are the missile launchers worth the 40 points?

What do you want to do with it? Lascannon looks good against flyers, Autocannon looks better against infantry of all kinds.

Its mostly my head cannon but the similarities of both characters are there, Keeler and Moriana both believe in the Emperor's divinity, both were instrumental in the creation of the Cult of the Emperor and since Keeler was also close to Malcador it is also possible that both were members of the Inquisition and both are able to see into the future with uncanny precision. They are either the same person or close colleagues that may or may not have a fallout of sorts.

>Wards fluff style was a large part of why Kirby era GW almost went under.

No it wasn't.

>MoM and the first heretic had great custodes fluff and set the standard for the golden bananas

No, his Custode fluff is shit. Generally it's
>I'm a bit autistic and very arrogant

No more boring characters have ever been created.

When in doubt, hordes. Bloodletters got cheaper so run em in squads of 20 and advance them up the field. Run some CSM if you really need shooting but if the thought boils your blood, there's always Soul Grinders or Dinobots (they are daemon robots so they count). As for mobility you have Bloodthirsters who can and will punish anything in melee and a turn or 2 of advancing with the bloodletters should see them in charging distance if not in combat already.

Granted, everything I just said may be invalidated by your meta so take with grain of salt.

I don't see Tzeentch having a very good time either unless you're referring to burning horrors. Pink horrors are pretty bad for their cost, burning chariots are too weak to get anything done before they blow up, and Lords of Change are too pricey for what they can do, which is essentially just smite spam and being an ok melee man.

user, GW was going under during the end of 3e and during all of 4e.
It started coming back with 5e.
You one of those "erhmagawd tattoos" shitters?

As a long time Necron player I have lost interest in faction for the time being until the get a codex.

The sweet sweet call of chaos is all I can think about. The problem is with chaos being so diverse I can't really decide on what direction to go in.

Ideas /tg?

The cyclone is well worth the points as it also comes with a stormbolter that can be shot at something else. The cyclone also gives the deathwing the ability to threaten tanks and other big scary things before going in to punch it thereby increasing the amount of things they can hurt in a given turn. As such, the cyclone has my vote.

>no it wasn't

It really was. The "invincible exemplars who win absolutely everything" became the standard of writing from 5th to 7th and contributed to why codex sales tanked.

>I'm a bit autistic and very arrogant

This is literally Matt Ward writing except Matt Ward didn't intend for it to have any negative connotation, unlike ADB who actually makes flawed characters

Aie. She be tainted by Chaos.

Neither, plasma is better in literally every situation, and it's cheaper. I'm not kidding, unless maybe like a T9 opponent

Crossplayer, user.
This is the nerd board, don't you people go to cons and larps and shit?

the two in the front are your average sorita/conscript

I particularly don't like them being a biopharmacist and all but I can accept the appeal for others

concerning this loadout:

>DP with Mark of Slannesh, S7 and 4A base
>twin claws so +3A to 7
>intoxicating elixirs relic for +1S/A so both are 8
>diabolic strength psychic power (6, so virtual guarantee) to get +2S/+1A to S10 A9
>take +1A warlord trait to have 10 strength 10 attacks hitting on 2's and rerolling 1s

if you use the strategem to change your aliegance from slanesh to tzeench does the relic stop working? (so you could have a tzench sorc cast the bonus to invuln save)

General heavy hitter I think. I want something to contend with Kastelean robots, Dunecrawlers and other army's long range support like lascannon predators and those dumb missile tau suits.
But mostly shitting on Kastelean robots.

I'd like to have one or two Contemptor Mortis Dreadnoughts as well with either autocannons or lascannons.

24" range though.

>Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

>purity seals are model magic
>epaulets are sagging
>primer has a barcode on it
Almost

I was in your boat about a year ago. I ended up going Thousand Sons because of their new release and because of all the psychic goodies they had which Necrons didn't get.

You could also try Slaanesh for a pretty good mix of shooting, melee, and magic.

I wouldn't reccomend Nurgle since Plague Marines are essentially Immortals from 7e

Khorne is fun but you'll be missing out on the Psychic phase which is something I was always a little envious of playing Necrons.

>that feel when you get first turn as Dark Eldar so you get to unleash your 15-20 dark lances on your opponent's vehicle-heavy list

For Night Lords? As a night lords player who has a bunch of games with their legion stuff, don't build around it because you'll only be disappointed. The most success I've had with it is just letting it happen. The extra -1, 2, or 3 Ld usually ends up picking off a model in situations where it otherwise wouldn't have, such as smaller units, which does well against elite units. Contemptors are solid. I think twin butcher is a waste. You're better off with a Butcher and a chainfist with Soulburner.

Ignore this user.
>Go for a mix of MSUs and characters to get the best of Night Lords.
Wrong. You're just asking to get picked apart for free VP, especially when you're in melee range where bigger units have the advantage. Smaller units also make for terrible use of In Midnight Clad. I mix bigger units and smaller units to keep my opponent on their toes, but that has nothing to do with "maximizing" our Legion trait.

>Nurgle Raptors with icon are -3 LD by themselves, a single character is -1 since he is a unit too.
This is fine, though I'm still iffy on raptors. I love them and hate them at the same time because they never actually much. Use them to pick on smaller units to force a Ld check.

>Consider also Slaaneshi ranged murder teams.
This is just food advice in general, though I prefer my nightlords to be mark less for fluff reasons.

>Maybe go for daemon prince with warp time.
Keep in mind that DPs DO NOT HAVE LEGION TRAITS because they're neither infantry, bikes, nor Hellbrutes. I've also not been using mine in favor of deep striking a lord and sorcerer with my termies.

>It really was.

It really wasn't. His fluff set the pace for modern fluff.

>This is literally Matt Ward writing

It's not. Not at all.

>unlike ADB who actually makes flawed characters

ADB makes sad sack characters, "funny" characters, or autist characters.

We just sit in front of the computer and shitpost all day. Most guys here don't even play the game.

The change allegience thing is a just a meme for Word Bearers.

It lets you pick one if you were undivided, not change one when you already had it. It's like the stratagem SM have to split a unit into combat squads.

Who cares?

How is this as my first list to aim for?

Archon [4 PL, 58pts] - Agoniser, Splinter pistol

Troops

Kabalite Warriors x10 [5 PL, 115pts]
Dark Lance
Blaster
Blast Pistol

Kabalite Warriors x10 [5 PL, 115pts]
Dark Lance
Blaster
Blast Pistol

Fast Attack

Hellions x10 [9 PL, 170pts]

Reavers x6 [10 PL, 210pts]
Dark Lance
Dark Lance

Dedicated Transport

Raider [6 PL, 115pts]
Dark Lance

Raider [6 PL, 115pts]
Dark Lance

Venom [4 PL, 95pts]
Splinter Cannon, Splinter Cannon

TOTAL: 993pts

>I can still take an apothecary on a bike, right? If so I think that'll be good for saving the bikers+rezzing possible centurions/terminators
It's in the index so yeah.

And yeah, scouts are amazing for that. I'm suprised more people don't use them more often

Why are so many FW units just better versions of GW units?