Any one else noticing a growing trend of people livestreaming their gaming session, then posting them like a let's play?

Any one else noticing a growing trend of people livestreaming their gaming session, then posting them like a let's play?

I have no thoughts one way or the other, but it's something I feel like I should point out.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/-NcanVthL8A.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Any one else noticing a growing trend of people livestreaming their gaming session, then posting them like a let's play?

Yes I have

> Do I care?

No I don't

What's the harm? I feel like watch some RPG "let's plays" has made me a better GM and player.

Cool foot

Yeah it's weird honestly. There is no fucking way I would stream my sessions.
All the more power to 'em, they're more confident in their GMing ability than I am.

Its cool if done right: good GM with great narrating abilities, decent likeable players who appear to have fun and are sporting, interesting setting.

RPG let's plays are really useful as RPG games are such a difficult medium to translate unless you show them to people. Text alone can't translate the medium properly and you can tell that pretty much anyone who starts forum rules arguments about the minutia of the text doesn't actually play the game.

I've found some players are scared to play and just want to 'watch' but I don't let that shit fly in my games you play or go home. So let's plays are at least a useful way for those players to watch.

Likewise personally I find them useful mostly as it's difficult to guage how good you are as a DM but when I watch let's plays of other groups I realise how much better I am than the vast majority and I feel a lot better about myself.

I'm noticing a trend of people filming their shit and putting it online as if anyone cares, yes.

Personally, as soon as anyone pulls out a video camera during a session, I will get up and walk out. End of session. If they do it again, same response. If they haven't learned and do it a third time, I walk out and do not return.

Sometimes if I'm trying to learn how a game works I'll look up a few podcasts/videos of the game just to get a feel for it.

This has RARELY done me any good since 99.99999999999% of this shit is D&D and PF and I already know those games. I don't know why I keep trying.

Yeah, this.
I stopped bothering to find stuff. Even when I find links to non-3.5/PF videos, nearly everytime the links are dead, if they're not, the players and/or GM really suck and shouldn't be recording, much less sharing, their sessions.

There's an interesting YouTube channel 'How we roll' where they have the designers of a game DM it for a group.

>>youtu.be/-NcanVthL8A.

This one's for apocalypse world, they also have burning wheel and a few other games up.

It has far too few views for such an interesting concept and is well worth a look.

>a channel that shows actual play of games that aren't fucking D&D or PF
Let's give it a look-see
>All games I either already know or don't give a shit about
Goddamnit.

>This has RARELY done me any good since 99.99999999999% of this shit is D&D and PF and I already know those games. I don't know why I keep trying.
I know your pain...

One famous youtuber in France did it with 4 other guy, so far, he is the only one doing it and it's working pretty well
I don't think it's going to become more popularité/starting a new trend.
Dont know how its going in other country I only know about Critical Rôle which is apparently quite popular

swear to god i know this chick, or at least a doppelganger. sorry OP for derailing

>One famous youtuber
I can honestly not tell if you mean Bob or Fred, and that should tell you what the problem with that sentence is

>He is the only one doing it
>Never having heard of Donjon Et Jambon
>Not being aware of the unfathomable amount of Donjon de Naheulbeuk videos

>Watching Youtube videos.
>French Youtube videos.
>Reminding me Naheulbeuk exists.
Pourquoi ?

So instead of just saying "hey that makes me uncomfortable" you storm out like a child having a tantrum? Mature as fuck. 10/10

Because Naheulbeuk is my religion.
It introduced me to RPGs and it forever holds a special place in my heart

Also, for the youtube part: I'm too poor to afford other means of entertainment

>2 players in my group unironically want to podcast our having sessions
Is it too late to kill myself

Do you have a particular problem with those sessions being recorded, or do you just think the idea is stupid? If it's the latter, why not just let them do it?

>Because Naheulbeuk is my religion.
That's very sad. My recommendation is that you go play hopscotch on the highway. It's cheap too.

Like anything else broadcasted over the internet, I can only see it be entertaining if the participants were charismatic and interesting. A friend one time brought up the idea, but really, why would we want to show to the world how dysfunctional and annoying we all are.

But shit, these days everyone is broadcasting nearly every facet of their lives to the internet in hopes of feeling like they're important (or getting that ad revenue), so why not stream yourselves rolling dice to determine whether or not you can shove stolen magical tomes into a stuffed bear without anyone noticing, it wouldn't be the worst thing people recorded for the internet.

I remember hearing somewhere that in Japan, books have been sold that are essentially transcripts of a D&D campaign.

But on Veeky Forums there was a general for a Naruto game, /nsunsg/ F and some guy was running some sort of jury rigged version of 5e to run a Naruto game with OCs and shit. There was a dropbox with all the summaries he posted and one of the players was a drawfag who did a few lewds of his character, it was pretty good but I dunno if it's still going on or anything.

People acting for an audience will act differently to naturalistic unrecorded sessions. These are invariably bad habits like encouraging a continual flow of "epic" moments rather than allowing climaxes to emerge organically.

New players will come to see this artificial, performative style of game as normal when it is in fact poor form.

They're called "Replays," it's basically a genre of light novels where the story is based on RPG campaigns. The most famous example is actually Record of the Lodoss War.

>There's an interesting YouTube channel 'How we roll' where they have the designers of a game DM it for a group.

Sounds like a good concept. So thank you, I will check it out.

This series is interesting just for the fact that it is an actual D&D campaign.

I also highly suspect that Slayers is at least inspired by D&D or Sword World. If it is, it must have been an awesome campaign. It would also be a testament to caster-martial imbalance.

Reflets d'acide is a million times better tho.

> Storm out
No, just pack up and leave. People know my opinions on attention-whoring, and ignoring my input means I will just leave on their ass.

There is no room for negotiation when my answer is 'no', and will always remain 'no' despite their persuasion.

So you storm out like a child having a tantrum?
Got it

Going out is literally the opposite of throwing a tantrum.

Do you make your opinions about such things know when entering into a new group or keep quiet about it until they doing something "attention whorish" and then go "they knew! but they did it anyways!"

If you actually communicate beforehand, then yes, it's their fault. But if you don't, you're literally throwing a tantrum.

>I can't interact with other humans at an adult level
I mean, you're on Veeky Forums so we shouldn't be surprised, but...

Sperging out and leaving without a word is throwing a tantrum, yes. Of course this has never happened. No group has ever tried to get you on camera, because they don't want to expose the world to the weird autist who starts twitching every time anyone takes a photo of themselves.

The camera is a device which traps the soul on silvered glass, if you willingly let somewhat steal your soul that way you're an idiot.

What about digital cameras

No and no. Watching others play is not fun anyways. There are a million betters things to watch that cannot interact with already, so what is the point?

We toyed with the idea of making a podcast, even recorded a few sessions. But we realized we are faaar too vulgar for most audiences. However i have had a lot of fun listening to them on long drives and remembering the campaigns associated.

I snapchat our games to my normie friends to entice them to try it but thats about it.

lol what an autist
I bet you're fat

>Any one else noticing a growing trend of people livestreaming their gaming session, then posting them like a let's play?
No, I don't frequent sites like twitch or YouTube because they're full of retards.

He's just trying to avoid violating the masquerade

>Be french
>Watch french video on YouTube.
Youtube is of shit no matter the country, we have some crap youtuber Chanel but Joueur du Grenier is probably the best one there is on youtube

What I am pretty sure is that if I stream - I'll be a better GM. If I have an audience - I'll strive to make the game better.

My current game is with a group I run RPGs for years now. So if I’m lazy, I can just improve something, and not prepare. It will not be as good, but decent. If I stream – I’ll have to do extensive prep for the game to be… “presentable”.

Some are great and scratch my RPG itch when I can't get a game going myself.

The flip-side is that many "show" games are run very poorly or are super over the top with the lolrandom players or DM constantly allowing dumb stuff to keep the show entertaining. this has led to an influx of players (5e mostly) who's only exposure is from these games and expect a real session to be just as "fun".

Anyone got more recommendations for good Veeky Forums podcasts?

damn, they should have contacted you before doing it to see which games you wanted them to play

Nobody say it.

I think DSLR cameras still have mirrors.

I stream, but mostly out of boredom. It's fun and kills the loneliness while I wait my turn.

>GM decides to stream a game
>as soon as the stream begins a high pitched reee fills the room
>dice float up from the table and fly out of the room.