The Church of Light

>the Church of Light

>Church betrays you

The Church was worshippin an eldritch monstrosity all along

I really enjoy cliche's like that though.

me too

>the Church of Dark

>The Church was worshipping an eldritch monstrosity all along
>Said eldritch monstrosity is benevolent and protects its people against eldritch-er monstrosities

>The gods of the setting either don't actually exist or are pretty much entirely apathetic to even their most devout followers.
>The Church is always corrupt to its core, with no redeemable qualities found anywhere
>The Church suppresses free thought and the progression of technology and there is a distinct fedora clad culture that has attained further technological progress through not having any religion whatsoever.

>The church tries to photosynthesis

>The church of light and church of dark were worshipping the same god all along

Darkest Dungeon Occultist in a nutshell.

>"the inquisition" all wear clothing from the 1600's in a high medieval setting

>Church is corrupt to the core
>Dissident priests know the truth
>Inquisitorial body sympathises with the dissidents, but doesn't let it stand in the way of their duty

You know my suffering

I have absolutely no problem with anything posted in this thread so far.

Yeah until you find out the Occultist made the deal with the Eldritch you are meant to stop.

>Sanguinary pirates that are actually civilized in their homeland and have a deep and complex culture
Or
>Sanguinary pirates that are always sanguinary, even their homeland culture
?

You know what goes on in churches?
You know what those fucking people do?

They throw parties and spend all your money. They have orgies. They watch television all day and read upsidedown bibles.

Every fucking church is a god damn satan infested den of inequity. You'll find better odds on your soul at a whorehouse!

>Sanguinary pirates that come from a civilized homeland, but are always sanguinary, hence why they're pirates

Due you mean sanguine as in elated or sanguine as in bloody? Neither seems to make sense in this context.

He meant sanguinary as in bloodthirsty.

>it's pretty dark on the inside
>everyone is too scared to light a candle, believing it to be a blasphemy, as if saying that they can create a light brighter than the one created by the Holy Light
my dick is diamondtanium

I thought choleric people were the ones who were more prone to aggression.

>Church of God

Who calls their god God??????

>>the Church of Light
>>The church tries to photosynthesis
I'm putting these two together to form a church of plant people that worship the sun.

Apparently I cannot quote properly.

>Sanguinary pirates that are so sanguinary that their homeland is gone, which is why they roam the seas

>The Veil
>The Sundering
>The Eye

>The Wall
>The Fall
>The Rift
>The Legion

What's the problem with those?

>Mages are persecuted by the Church

>Church of who now? C'mon GM, I'm just here to roll dice and kill goblins, not listen to you wanking off you donut steel snowflake setting. Just give me something easy to remember.

>Church of the Stormborn, Queen of the Andals and the First men, Mother of Dragons, the Unburned, Breaker of Chains

People of a deep and civilized culture put their dissenters, criminals and general murderhobos on boats and point them at their rivals. You know, like _Britain_.

Manichaeism doesn't get enough love in fantasy settings.

>Certain schools of magic like evocation and abjuration are actively approved of and taught by the Church, while summoning, necromancy, and mind-related magic are prohibited
>A pseudo-Gnostic heresy approves of all magic and believes the Church is a tool being used by a fake god to prevent other people from reaching godhood via magic

Good idea or boring and predictable.

>Good idea or boring and predictable.
Yep.

Funny thing is, in my system, all clerics are technically practicing necromancy:
Communicating with the spirit of their God
Gaining powers directly through a connection to that spirit
And often, manipulating life energy to heal and the power of death to resurrect.

Oh nice
I'm stealing this one

SMT.

So yes, second.

Like... Christians?

>god or gods actually exist
>they're not focal characters
What's the point?

>kings and nobility actually exist
>they're not focal characters
What's the point?

>Fantasy god has no restrictions against spilling blood
>All clerics still carry maces

Maces are good weapons if you are a walking tank. Also good against skeletal enemies.

>Not being able do spill blood with a mace
What are you, a femboy?

The difference there is fantasy settings rarely have the king invested with actual, real divine right for some reason.

> The gods left/disappeared/died long ago.

That's for hunting down terrible beasts with heavy natural armour.

>the gods just showed recently

>I am the God.

clerics using maces to not spill blood is a medieval meme.

The closest you actually get to that is old russian bible translations that make the commandment "you shall not strike people with swords" or somesuch, so the monks or priests or whatever they have over there used big axes and flails.
the flails were pretty cool, they were metal disks tied to two long leather straps so the monks would use them as belts.

> "Just passing by this eon, sup?"

>The Church is actually good

>the gods need prayer for power