pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:

Tell me bout the times your PC's sided with the usually evil race

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PvY6YQH9kE4
readcomiconline.to/Comic/Dungeons-Dragons-2010
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Reposting from last thread for DEM ORKS

Currently, the walls are very patchwork, though the party have the option to replace or repair it for higher stats.

The human rams are enough to batter a hole in the wall in one hit at the moment using the mechanics I'm working out.

I'm quite hyped for the battle, but there's a lot to plan. Using a combination of the mob mechanics from the DMG and some home material.

Wouldn't mind a review if anyone's willing to do some mechanics thinking:

Each band of 10 is treated as an individual monster with total damage equal to the total damage of all units contained within the band divided by the number needed to hit, rounded down.

For health, it's the combined hitpoints of every unit in the band, but a unit is lost at every hitpoint interval.

DMG 250:
Target's AC - Attack bonus = minimum d20 roll needed (review attached table)

Orcs
===
(Chance for one to hit Humans: 11/10/10/8)
Orcs needed to hit: 2
Melee Damage per Orc: 9
Ranged Damage per Orc: 6
Range: 30 ft
Max Health: 150
Hitpoint Interval: 15

Humans
===
Guard Block
---
**4 blocks**
(Chance for one to hit Orcs: 10)
Guards needed to hit: 2
Melee Damage per Guard: 5
Max Health: 110
Hitpoint Interval: 11

Ram Block
---
**2 blocks**
100% hit rate
Damage to Wall: 40 per hit
Max Unit Heath: 110
Max Ram Health: 100

Trebuchet Block
---
**2 blocks**
Mob Rules not applicable
+5 to hit / 44 damage
Max Unit Heath: 110
Max Trebuchet Health: 150

Archer (Scout) Block
---
**4 blocks**
(Chance for one to hit Orcs: 9)
Scouts needed to hit: 2
Ranged Damage per Scout: 6
Range: 150 ft

What are the best printed adventures? Both HC and adventurers league.

>Tell me bout the times your PC's sided with the usually evil race.

One time I was in an all-human game.

How often do people have sessions? 1 a week isn't enough, I need more

Join another game.

The Elemental Evil adventures for Adventurer's League has great variety. My favorite is the Drowned Tower, has a little bit of everything from detective work to kung-fu sequences. It's also only $5 on DM's Guild.

Thinking of playing a sea bloodline sorcerer what are peoples opinion of it.

Out of the Abyss, Curse of Strahd, Lost Mine of Phandelver, Tales from the Yawning Portal.

That or stone since it's clearly an attempt to move the swordmage from 4ed to 5th

>Party's Artificer got her soul sucked out by The Void card
Perfect.

I'm currently at 3 tables, 2 of them online. Try roll20, you can play more if you don't have to waste time commuting to someone's house.

Currently 1 weekly. 2 a week is optimal with an occasional third one. I don't feel like running a second game now and there's nothing that'd interest me in playing, so I'm staying at 1 for now.

Every time I'm reminded this comic is dead it hurts a little more

How would you guys build Artemis Entreri in 5e? Fighter/rogue?

I DM a game that is every other Thursday, well into it's second year.
Gives me optimal amount of time to create a solid story, organize maps, and make pawns.

I've often wished we could get together weekly, but we get together consistently and I avoid deadline pressure this way.

I play in a game ever other Sunday as well.

I DM a 5e game on Tuesday, two Pathfinder games on Saturday, a Pathfinder game on Sunday and then a once-a-month 5e game whenever the whole group can meet.

Try reading the PHB.

Why the pathfinder games?

I really liked S2 as well. I can also recommend Shadows of the Moonsea from S1.

Likely because autistic Dice'an is easy to prep for.

Tika being as dexterous as Artemis, were the writers fucking retards?

I enjoy both systems, as do my players I run them for.

Not autistic. Just a college student with free time.

That description makes him sound much more like a STR rogue than a fighter. Even Tika sounds more roguish than fighter.

Really what's even the point of rogue if they pin literal assassins as fighters?

Battlemaster 11/Assasin rogue 9, good enough.

Tika actually succeeded at some of her adventures. Artemis is a total jobber.

Artemis is a fighter, but he also is an expert rogue, and with assassin qualities. He should be built as an npc.

What the writer wrote in that snippet was pretty shit.

She is a retard though, and she only succeeded because she was carried by the others in her party.

Artemis has a fearsome and deserved reputation as a consummate fighter, can go toe to toe in intrigue with the best of them, fooled dark elves and more.

Your Tika a shit but she pretty.

Anyone know where I can find a full copy of "Hyperlanes"?

I want to make sure it's worth the price tag of 20 dollars for a PDF.

I can't seem to find many reviews, or anyone going into much detail.

What makes a sneaky fighter different than a rogue thematically?

Artemis has nothing but the reputation and an overinflated opinion of himself. He's not nearly as good as he thinks he is, as indicated by the fact that he can never, ever succeed when it counts.

A rogue isn't usually a fighter, for one.

So his action scenes as written by RA Salvatore were all because of his overinflated opinion of himself? Do you listen to yourself?

He was up against Drizzt, the only opponent known to have bested him.

What's the point in that woman's top? The moment she does any serious twisting or movement it's going to hike up and bare her breasts to everyone.

There's a PDF share thread.

>First session
>Paladin in group
>'We can't do it that way, it's against the law'

Artemis doesn't care about opinions, only about the quality of his craft. You really have no fucking idea what you're blathering on about do you?

Does this mean rangers are better fighters than fighters?

What's wrong with that? He's keeping you on the straight and narrow.

That's a guide on making characters, they were only at the same point at level one, Artemis would be a higher level

You realize Drizzt is also a fighter don't you? He trained at Melee Magthere by the greatest swordsmaster Menzoberranzan has ever produced.

He was* trained

So Drizzt the ranger is just a convoluted lie?

Wat. He's a multiclass.

No, it means protagonists are more successful than antagonists, unless you're watching French noire cinema.

Have you read any of the Drizzt novels?

Granted, he had to be a loser because of his role in the story and the fact that he's focused on antagonizing the main character. That still makes him a loser from an in-story perspective.

Has anybody here tried running a game for the sake of learning a foreign language? 5e basic rules are released in Japanese and I'm toying with the idea of looking for a bunch of nips to play a one-shot or a campaign with.

But multiclassing would make him even worse than a pure fighter or ranger

From what I remember, he doesn't demonstrate a single ranger class feature. He doesn't cast spells, and his "animal companion" is a magic item rather than a class feature.

Correct.

Or this It also means this poster is a fucking retard.
Wizards at that time were under obligation to not to allow antagonists to ever triumph, Ed Greenwood wasn't allowed to have the Zhentarim succeed at anything, and evil forces in the FR were fucking retards.
Entreri was actually written to be a highly fearsome, competent swordsman and thief and assassin.

Only if you're autistic.

He's better written up as an NPC build.

Spell-less ranger, he is apparently great with animals and highly emphatic with them. He knows woodsland lore and shit like that.

So Drizzt is actually a pure fighter and he always wins vs Artemis because Artemis gimped himself by MCing rogue. I get it now.

Also why does Artemis have a woman's name?

Why do power gamers and optimizers multiclass so frequently then?

Protagonist armor and see and .
Maybe try being less autistic.

Did you even read my post? The opinion that matters to him is his own. He has to think of himself as the best, even though he isn't. One time he killed Drizzt, but he couldn't accept it because he was being helped with magic, and he threw a fucking hissyfit to get him brought back.

Sane fighters accept victory in any form it takes and believe that any fight you can walk away from is a good one, but Artemis believes in combat as sport rather than combat as war. It's an especially harmful worldview for someone who can't actually win a swordfight fair and square.

Protagonist armor is why Artemis has a woman's name? Did Drizzt go back in time and force Artemis's mom to name him that or something? Kinda makes him sound like an asshole.

That's just Outlander background.

There is only one solution. Reroll as an Oath of Insurrection Paladin.

Did you even read the novels? Did you even read your post and my response to it? He thinks of himself as being highly disciplined and trained, sacrificing morals and emotions to be the best not that he has an overinflated opinion of himself. He doesn't.
Hence why he cannot fathom while Drizzt who his friends, who has his humor, who has his morals would be better than him.

He convincingly wins swordfights, just not against Drizzt.

I think he has a woman's name because R. A. Salvatore doesn't know anything about mythology. Maybe he'd heard of men named "Artemus" and didn't know it was spelled differently.

Artemis Fowl, autistic retard.

Why is that girl wearing such a big hat? That's silly!

Some men have vaginas and some men have womyn names, get over it.

>can't understand how people who aren't him do things better than him
Sounds like he has an over-inflated opinion of himself

>Artemis Fowl is named after a woman
>This somehow contradicts you

More differing worldviews, do you understand what an overinflated opinion of yourself means?
For one, it isn't supported by your actions. Artemis' reputation is fully supported by his actions/deeds.

He wins swordfights against people even worse than himself. That doesn't prove anything. He thinks he's devoted to perfecting his craft, but he can't process the idea that someone is better than him. Sure, he practices, except in that novel where he does nothing at all for months because he's depressed about Drizzt, but Drizzt has had more years of practice at a better school, and his experience outside the training room is also superior because he willingly goes on adventures against a variety of foes instead of repeatedly harassing one guy.

More like it's a unisex name. Not like there's an Artemis the goddess in his world is there?

Not like... a physically present one? It's still the same origin as in the real world.

He wins swordsfights because he trained himself to be a master swordfighter.
Also Artemis and Drizzt fought for length in their multiple encounters on equal standing, Artemis' shortcoming was he was always only by himself but Drizzt had his friends.

>He thinks he's devoted to perfecting his craft, but he can't process the idea that someone is better than him. Sure, he practices, except in that novel where he does nothing at all for months because he's depressed about Drizzt, but Drizzt has had more years of practice at a better school, and his experience outside the training room is also superior because he willingly goes on adventures against a variety of foes instead of repeatedly harassing one guy.
This isn't what having an overinflated ego means.
Also Artemis repeatedly harrassed Drizzt because here was finally an opponent that was at least his equal.

Then you are reaching.

Being unable to accept differing worldviews as a valid means to the same (or apparently superior) end is a symptom of a narcissistic personality. A normal person would think "well maybe I've gone above this wrong", but Artemis thinks "DRIZZT SHOULD NOT BE! I WILL PROVE MY SUPERIORITY!!!1" because he's full of himself.
>Artemis' reputation is fully supported by his actions/deeds.
Except the losing to Drizzt part.

>he trained himself
You see why that would produce an inferior result compared to someone who went to an actual fencing school. Artemis' teacher knew nothing about the subject he was trying to teach.

youtube.com/watch?v=PvY6YQH9kE4

Narcissistic=/overinflated ego.
Artemis wants to prove he is superior because he sacrificed so much, not because he's full of himself. Read the fucking books.

Only you can prevent caps lock abuse and autism.

So losing to that one opponent, especially Drizzt, means he is a shit fighter? Ok.

He thinks that surely his efforts matter, because they're his efforts, and everything he does is wonderful. He thinks that all he has to do to succeed is try, and he can't imagine the possibility that his best efforts are still shit. That's an overinflated ego.

>get to throw my players at a deck of many things for the first time next session, hope they're gonna be dumb fucks and draw a lot.
cackling mad fortune tellers are a fun story device.

>Narcissistic=/overinflated ego.
You seem confused. Those are indeed the same things.

Don't count on it. I gave my party a Deck of Many Things and none of them have even dared to touch the fucking thing. They have it locked up in the basement of their guildhouse. Pussies.

Actually because it's an excessive admiration of oneself, that isn't really something that he has.
An overinflated ego could be excessive confidence but isn't necessarily narcissistic.
He doesn't even have excessive confidence, only the certainty that he wins because of his demonstrable fighting prowess.

>He thinks that surely his efforts matter, because they're his efforts, and everything he does is wonderful. He thinks that all he has to do to succeed is try, and he can't imagine the possibility that his best efforts are still shit.
Where's that in the books?

You guys haven't given further evidence why he's a shit fighter because he loses only to Drizzt.

>everything he does is wonderful.
Where's that in the books?

Ask /wbg/

Good point, probably a better fit there.

Imagine a player coming into a game with Deity needs and having to do all that research for your setting. They'll ask questions you haven't planned for, it'll get ugly.

Maybe comparing him to Drizzt would be unfair if he didn't define himself by comparing himself to Drizzt. Even if we assume (with no evidence) that the people he's beaten are actually good, he's placed second in the competition he invented for himself, and second place is first loser. He's a loser.

It's implied by the fact that he thinks his efforts and sacrifices should pay off by making him better than everyone in the world. The world doesn't work that way. Lots of people try their best, and they can't all win.

>d8HP
>Martial weapons, Medium armor, Shield
>Arcane INT-caster
>1/2 warlock pact magic progression
>spell points variant
>three subclasses: heavy-armored combatant; utility caster with extra-casting features; light-weight roguish one

Would you consider playing it?

>He doesn't even have excessive confidence, only the certainty that he wins because of his demonstrable fighting prowess.
Except that time he lost to Drizzt.
He can't grasp that people better than himself can exist, because he's so high on beating inferior opponents he believes in the core of his being that he is the best. Drizzt should not be by his worldview, because Drizzt is better than him and that's impossible. Because Artemis has excessive confidence in himself.

What comic is it?

Then you've moved the goalposts. I'll post more but need sleep for work.

He's a loser in what context? Again the fights with Drizzt in their all of their conflicts have been more or less on equal footing, with Drizzt being a little quicker because he's an elf and had friends with him. Will you be saying Artemis is a loser because he was born human?

This is a sense of overinflated ego how?

IDW's D&D fourth edition comic by John Rogers

Since my DM is gone for the week, myself and the other players of my group are running a Battle Royale between our characters tonight.

To spice things up, I was considering scattering tokens around the map which represent Random Magical Effects which could either help or hurt myself and the other players, which would be rolled for whenever anyone ends their turn next to or on top of one of these tokens.

I was hoping you guys could help me come up with some interesting things for a Random Magical Effects table.

So far I've decided I'd like whatever a 1 is to be something truly dangerous, and potentially deadly. Our characters are all around Level 3 if that helps.

2-10 would be other bad things, but progressively less horrible as you climb up to 10. Maybe something like a slower movement speed their next round, penalties to attacks the next round, a lower AC the next round, etc.

11-19 would be good things, progressively getting better the higher the number. Maybe something like a faster movement speed their next round, bonuses to attacks the next round, a higher AC the next round, etc.

20 would be something like recover to full Hit Points. Possibly adding some Temporary Hit Points as well.

Any ideas for these 20 Random Magic Effects for me to include in this 3rd Level Battle Royale?

The fights between Drizzt and Artemis are not close calls, because he loses every single time. A competitor who's only a little bit inferior will still pull out a win every now and then. It takes a real shitbag to lose every time. He thinks he stands a chance when evidence and common sense show that he doesn't. Why does he think this? His ego.

Fell's Five. Good read.
readcomiconline.to/Comic/Dungeons-Dragons-2010

It isn't excessive confidence, merely confidence and Artemis has beaten drow weaponmasters. Are they all losers in comparison to Drizzt?
And it's not overinflated ego, do you understand the distinction?

He can't accept being worse than Drizzt even when Drizzt has the biological advantage of being an elf. Drizzt is physiologically superior but Artemis for some reason can't accept that.

That reason is an over-inflated ego.

Go back and reread them, they were close calls every single time and this is the reason why Artemis still wants to fight Drizzt because it's always being too close.