/awg/ - Alternative Wargames General

A Song of Ice and Fire edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks, or people's homebrew wargames. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Grimdark Future, Age of Fantasy, Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age, LotR and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

Last thread

Other urls found in this thread:

northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=8780
youtube.com/watch?v=ivEnd56lBNg
ministuff.godzilla.se/?tag=adams
shop.hint-thegame.com/en_US/c/PRODUCTS/18/2
govgensectorsix.blogspot.co.nz/2014/03/the-secret-war-part-i-cleaning-house.html
lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=63144.msg779213#msg779213
lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=63144.msg1035912#msg1035912
twitter.com/AnonBabble

New Frostgrave: Ghost Archipelago sprue. Pretty standard.

I do wonder: Are these sculpted by the same guy that did the 6th Edition Empire miniatures from WHFB? They look like they'd fit in seamlessly with those.

Speaking of Frostgrave, I remember them showing off a sprue of arms and guns designed to fit on the Frostgrave plastics, back when the cultists were in preorder.

Is that for sale anywhere? Because I've been thinking about medieval dudes with laser guns for a certain gothic scifi theme (Don't worry, gonna use alt rules) lately and I can't find them for sale.

northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=8780

This one?

When the he'll are North Star gonna release their Dwarf models? I feel like there was tons of hype and they posted all over Facebook about it and then nothing.

Shit, I looked on that site but I didn't see it. Thanks, dude.

Probably a strange question but: is there a pokemon battle ruleset?
Alternatively, is there an arena fighter ruleset you recommend that may work?

when are they releasing more info on the goblins is what i want

Hey guys, I just wanted to thank you all. Upon seeing SoBaH recommended a bunch of times here, I gave it a shot with my mates. We used what we had for terrain and some paper minis. After a few games we found ourselves raiding the reaper bones shelf at our lgs. The game is absolutely brilliant!

So show me your warbands. I want inspiration!

Ace, it is a fun little thing isn't it.

youtube.com/watch?v=ivEnd56lBNg

Glad you like it. I recommend it probably more than anons here like. This is my dudes I just painted up. I'll take more proper pictures when they're done. They're aquatic themed for a campaign module I'm working on.

I'm less and less thrilled about the new releases sadly...but I still need to get the gnolls and barbarians. Come to think of it, not sure why I need them, maybe that's why I'm not thrilled - but I digress. These will make nice Haradrim or Umbar corsairs IMHO - add pavése, and ta-da, cheap as fuck Corsaid crossbowmen.

I think they were, but I might be wrong. The new Warlord/Pro Gloria Landsknecht seems to be in the same style as well.

There's a card game - I had a starter back in the days, and I'm not sure you'd need more than that. Maybe switch the card of the Pokémon for a miniature in case you have one.

Other than that, maybe a fantasy gladiatorial game with magic could be a good basis.

Me too, user. Moria needs some prowlers and blackshields.

Who else here is a painter fag who's just here to scope out new mini ranges and isn't an autistic kid looking for a new sonichu flavour of the month game?

Whats your favourite line of minis to paint?

i've been looking for a orc alternative for a mordor army so i was excited to see them but there has literally been nothing after

I've been reading Dungeon Meshi.

Does anyone make "kobolds" in that style? I've seen some SF minis that would be close enough, but nothing that really does the whole "literally just a dog on two legs" thing right.

'scusi?

He's a moron with his redditposter bullshit memes. Reddit posters are the Boogeyman right now, and some morons think a certain way of linking and spacing is a way to tell someone is a redditor. As if that method hasn't been here as long as Veeky Forums has

Probably Otherworld is you want good old fashioned dogbolds.

>he thinks i can't pick out redditposters with 100% accuracy

I need cyberpunk minis in 28mm scale. Having a tough time finding stuff that's still in print.
Any recommendations? Was going to grab the Major and Batou from Hasslefree, but after that I don't know. Found some pretty cool stuff on Moonraker like cops and scavenger-types.

The first thing to come to mind would be Human Interface and Infinity miniatures.

Must say, I'm not fussed about actually playing frostgrave but I like how versatile their plastics are.

Especially since they recently started selling individual sprues I believe.

>Human Interface
Is there a way to buy them without fucking around with Kickstarter? Also, are they metal or plastic? I don't use plastics.
>Infinity
I'll keep looking, but most of their stuff seems too high-sci-fi, if that makes sense. Lots of crazy robots and shit with swords.

They sell metals and plastics, and the board game is out for regular retail.

Oh, also, I found the perfect Section 6 cops on Ground Zero Games. However, they're only in 25 mm scale (does anyone even play that scale? never heard of it before) so I'm kind of worried about buying them since they might be midgets compared to Major and Batou from Hasslefree. It'd help if GZG actually had images for more than 1/10 of their inventory since I'm sure they have other stuff that would be great.

There's always the old WGF orcs that Warlord sell now.

Shame you can't get the Zvezda orcs anymore.

25mm is essentially small 28mm. Citadel used to make stuff in that scale way back when.

It used to sort of be the standard until scale creep bumped it up to 28mm.

I guess it should work fine then as I think in the last thread I hard Hasslefree's stuff is pretty small for 28mm. So hopefully the Major will be roughly in scale with those cops, I guess.

I really like the ruleset generally, but there are two points that really bother me and I can't get past it - Combat rating being the same for shooting and melee, so an expert archer is automatically a great fighter, and the knock down / push back effects being an arbitrary 50/50 chance.

Has anybody encountered any good house rules that address this?

Are you going for a world record?

what line are these cheeky fellows from? I thought perhaps essex at first but not sure. just old citadel?

Anyone have experience with Warmaster here? I'm curious about differences/preferences/opinions between the living rulebook community update vs the original rules and updates from gw.

I actually have some GZG stuff so I threw together a quick comparison shot with a Standard Reference Peasant™

Thanks man. Hopefully it works out okay. I try not to mix minis from different companies when I'm making warbands but I think I have to with something apparently so obscure.

Found the blog via reverse image search, they're old citadel

ministuff.godzilla.se/?tag=adams

Wut. Are you the sperglord that was in the other thread accusing everyone that put a space in their post of being a redditor? Kys.

I found this picture of a Hasslefree pilot miniature and it seems to be about 25mm tall as well. Comparing this with the GZG mini in your pic, I'm pretty confident that some GZG AD police and the Major from Hasslefree will look fine next to each other.

New Skarrd rules for Dark Age are up, for anyone that cares.

Holy fuck, dat Cult of Dacay. A stacking -2 AR effect on attacks and Irradiated giving enemies -1 AS and PW on melee attacks.

That is a Grymn pilot.
Grymn are the Hasslefree sci-fi dwarves.

Oh shit. Maybe it's a no-go then. Shame, too, because the GZG police models look PERFECT.

Khurasan, Puppetswar, Human Interface and Reaper all have some nice 28mm sci-fi police.

Yeah, the HINT ones look great, but I didn't see any way to get them without buying the whole game.

Did you check their homepage?
shop.hint-thegame.com/en_US/c/PRODUCTS/18/2
You can get the expansion for the base game with the police squad, a bundle with all the police minis and a box of just 5 guys and the characters separately as blisters.

Weird, don't know how I missed all this stuff. My bad. Thanks!

While Infinity has some crazy shit like Kazakhstani werewolves and space knights, a lot of it is a perfect fit for a general cyberpunk setting. The entire aesthetic and all of the designs are explicitly (As in stated on their website) inspired by Masamune Shirow's aesthetic and designs, so expect to see plenty of GitS and Appleseed expies.

Finally got home, quickly set up the light box and used my crappy phone camera, so apologies.

90s plastic is my fetish.

And the Legion of Shadow, various hooded horrors

>stacking -2 ARM
Well fuck. That sounds brutal. Good way to really weaken the big Dragyri that are all ARM 20. Makes them a lot easier to kill, which is not a good thing to someone who wants to play said big aliens.

They actually get Dragyri "zombies", which are actually nasty. 50% chance on hit to Knockdown, and they get 2 of those attacks in an AG.

The Cult of Decay looks nasty. They have a [2]500 psychogenic model that throws out a Blast 1 splash that gives rot counters, the tribal mother has a PW 8 that gives out Rot. Since Rot is on hit, its basically PW 10. Should note, Rot only affects living, so not that great against C.O.R.E. They also have a 75 pts. guy that gives Buzzblades Irradiated, meaning you can swarm with them and make the army durable as against melee.

I can't figure out which is my favorite overall; the fact the Abomination has a radiation cannon that melts people, or that (spoilers) Marius was turned into a centaur flesh golem thing.

Does somebody have a few reccomendations for 15mm fantasy stuff? I saw the gorgeous not-vostroyans from Onslaught and the 15mm bug bit me again.

What do you prefer about 15mm vs 28mm? Just curious. I don't really see what it offers.

Big battles ala Warmaster.

Thanks. I guess it's like a happy medium between 6mm and 28mm then? For battles that are big, but not huge? I've never played Warmaster. Is it like the fantasy version of Epic?

Not him, but I like the smaller sizes because it makes distances bigger and feel more epic, and 15mm is still big enough to have some nice details on the models.

All I'm seeing here is
>Hide yo Arbiters, hide yo Spirit Lords, they rapin' everybody up in here.

Not that poster, but for big scake I like 15mm. Models are easy enough to tell apart, but take half as long to paint and you can get bigger armies on the table without it being stupidly crowded.

Speaking of cyberpunk, what would you guys like to see in a cybperunk skirmish-level wargame?

Hacking feasible and done simple but with some variety and specializations

What would you use hacking for during a battle?

Inhibiting or controlling advanced battle armor and robots, use in scenarios, etc, hacking other hackers. But this needs to be done in a way that doesn't make it so battle armor and robots are obsolete for fear of hackers, and scenarios can still be win without them

Cool ideas, thanks.

>Should note, Rot only affects living, so not that great against C.O.R.E.
Excellent news. I'm guessing irradiate still affects them, though? I haven't seen the new info, yet.

Yeah, they're just not big cute doggo enough, I think. Maybe I'll just headswap some chunky HEROIC 28mm humans and paint the big beefy arms like they're furry.

I'm tempted to say you should have a sideboard for cyberspace and let hackers (at various terminals, or wirelessly) deploy characters into it.

Something like govgensectorsix.blogspot.co.nz/2014/03/the-secret-war-part-i-cleaning-house.html which was inspired by someone on lead adventure, which had much brighter neon colours.

lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=63144.msg779213#msg779213 shows some of the miniatures (scroll down), and lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=63144.msg1035912#msg1035912 has some of the cyberspace stuff.

Just tie locations and npcs/opfor in cyberspace to real-world effects, maybe.

upvote if u like my post, and feel free to buy me reddit gold

Yup, it is just enemy model, it doesn't care about living or dead. Luckily, its not a hugely common ability, except if you go Buzzblade spammy. Only the characters, Abom, and the Fallout, who gives it to up to 6 Buzzblades have it. As opposed to Rot, where all but 2 models have some way of spreading it, and almost all their psychogenics can.

Decay counters the Brood really well, especially since they have a psychogenic made for fucking with them. Its a 8" PW6 shot that has Rot and Horrible Death, However, if targeting a model with a Dying counter, it becomes Blast 3. Adding in that each Decay model can just remove a Dying counter from a model in 6" per activation, and they were designed just to fuck with medics and Brood.

While having some sort of cyber advanture minigame going on along with the skirmish game, I don't think it will be as cool as you think in practice.

It would really only apply in certain situations, like if you were facing a team with another hacker or if the scenario called for it. Otherwise it just either doesn't happen, or is really boring. On top of needing another set of tiles and terrain and minis that nobody wants to pack around if they can avoid it.

But again, it might be cool. Like while the skirmish game goes on, there could be a separate phase for hacking, or when the hacker activates, he gets several actions in cyberspace representing how things move faster there than in the real world.

I don't know. It might be cool, but it seems like it could be a distraction of the flow in the regular game.

So a homebrewer from last thread, linking to last thread for reference I was thinking about the Armor bit some more, and the more I think about it, the less I'm happy with the regenerating HP idea. Mainly, it just doesn't feel like how armor works. Conventional armor, that is. So I played with some more ideas.

How does this sound instead?
>When a model with Armor(X) takes damage, if the amount of damage is X or lower, then reduce the damage taken by 1.

So if a model with Armor(3) is hit, any attacks with a damage of 3 or less is reduced, but higher than that is normal.

Also, if we are looking at an average damage spread on attacks as 2/3/5, I'm wondering if the base line for this Armor rule should be 2 or 3? 3 feels pretty strong for a baseline. But at the same time, at 2, its really only protecting against the low damage of the spread and melee, since melee numbers will be toned down a little lower. If we are talking about a power armored faction with the best armor that humanity has to offer, would going on the higher end be justified without turning into "T4 3+" bloat like 40k suffers?

I also like to play Skirmish or Platoon level games in 15mm. You can easily have big tables in that scale, because you practically double the table size when compared to 28mm. It's also way easier to model to scale, both vehicles and terrain. Most 28mm vehicles are way too small and the terrain gets unwieldy, especially in Skirmish, while still being way out of scale. In 15mm you can have properly sized buildings and roads while still maintaining ease of play on the terrain.
The only real downsides of 15mm is that converting infantry is way harder and the entire painting and converting part of the hobby suffers. For that reason I like it better than 10mm, which some people swear by especially for mass battles.

That Gobbo looks like he's been adopted

Terrain making is tough, man. I can paint and model miniatures okay but it's like a whole different skill set.

What are you trying to make user?

How much HP did you have again, 6?

So if you have Armor(3) as the default "Decently Armored Man", an average 3-damage hit becomes 2-damage, making it take about 3 hits to kill a dude. I don't think this is too bad, but it depends on how many mans are in play. Too many mans, and that becomes irritating to track.

There is also the chance of you taking them out with 2 hits (a 5-damage, and then any more). And you can get situational benefits or whatever other stuff to mess with these numbers.

Try it with 3. Lower it if it's a problem. You'll know more once you start getting other stuff made.

Dark age housing, just simple wooden farms and stuff.

Just remember that a little planning goes a long way, even more than usual when making buildings. You might benefit from knocking up some templates so you can more easily produce a few generic cottages and then make them more interesting by changing up the decor.

Got any pics of your progress? Maybe some of the experienced terrain makers here can give more specific tips to help you out.

Why wouldn't you use the living rulebook? It incorporates the original material, updates and subsequent errata. There's not really a downside.

Check out copplestone, splintered light and eureka.

Help me /awg/ I have spent my hobby budget for the month and yet I feel a strong urge to buy a Savasku fleet from GZG and learn ink/glaze blending to paint them like this

I've already written a fleet list that uses as many weird guns as possible to give them a "bioweapon" feel:

EMP guns for "tendrils cause ship to be covered in lightning"
Railguns and one-shot KKVs for "massive spines"
Teleporter beams and boarding pods for infesting ships with parasites

Then the mothership, the Exelio Class, has a black hole cannon.

Would this be awesome? A pastel fleet of crustacean bioships giving no fucks.

Alright, so, here's the breakdown on scales:

The smaller you go the more realistic wargames look.

28mm is the bog standard GW crammed down your throat, but a standard game of 40k or WHFB or KoW (whatever your poison is) won't LOOK like a battle, it won't. You don't have enough stuff on a 6x4" table or 8x4" table for it to be a fight. If you do have enough stuff you don't have any maneuverability at all, you filled the table with 28mm doods, good job.

So the rule of thumb is bigger scales are better for skirmishing (although 6mm skirmish games are dope if you're in to napoleonics) where you have a handfull of dudes exploring terrain (or cheesecake board games like kingdom death). Generally things where you want individual models to look impressive.

As you drop down in scale a couple things happen: Painting becomes much faster, and the battles start looking more like a total war game.

For 15mm armour games (that's tanks chad) are much better, you get way more tanks and jeeps on a table, the dudes look great five to a base, and there's plenty of room for driving around your glorified hotwheels cars. Love it.

Fantasy in 15mm is this weird middleground between 28mm and the rest of the scales (coming after this). 15mm humans, or elves (whatever your gender is), still have a lot of great detail (especially if they're well sculpted) and are never over-designed (you know how GW likes to do it). So what you get are clean minis which look great at a distance, are easy to paint, and look great close up.

10mm Is the smaller slightly uglier cousin to 15mm.

6mm/3mm/2mm are all great but they function the same in terms of scale.

Once you get this small (2mm especially) you've lost a lot of detail (but checkout microwroldgames if you're interested in 6mm with lots of detail) but even with low detail models (irregular miniatures I'm looking at you) there's often a lot of great textures to paint and they look stunning when you've got an army of them.

Also a final closing point, possibly the most important:

Storage, Transport and Cost.

As scale decreases cost goes down, you can get a 6mm army for 30 bucks, 60 if you want something fuckhuge

Dedicated painting you'll be done in a weekend.

Transport? Small tacklebox will hold two armies, maybe three. Ditto for storage. You can fit thousands of armies on one bookshelf.

Alternative Armies just released a cute lil 15mm skeleton gun.

Sounds good to me, I like me some horrific space aliens.

I'd also add what you lose in individual model customisability with 15mm (conversions are hard at anything below 1/72 really) you gain in the sheer variety of manufacturers and ranges.

15mm fanboys...do you people ever stop 28mm will always be industry standard.

Actually judging by GW's course of action 32mm is about to become the industry standard.

looks nice. got barbarians and cultists, need soldiers, orcs, gnolls and now these ones. damn.
but at least then I'll be set for absolutely ANY human encounters I may be needing in any game

>15mm fanboys...do you people ever stop 28mm will always be industry standard.
You're on the /awg general. What are you talking about? Go back to /40K or /wmh if you're not interested in alternative scales and games.

Yeah, how dare he post about 15mm scale in /awg/, the alternative wargames general. Too right mate.

I'm 28mm all the way myself but I can appreciate why, stuff's cheap like Historicals are too.

>various hooded horrors
>a fucking night goblin
Top lel my friend.

guys, we are starting to have shitpost, you can either leave it there as an occasional unjun joke, or reply to it en masse and make the thread shittier. Of course he wasn't serious.

Is shitposting the fate of all popular generals? Maybe it was better when these threads would hit 100 posts and go under.

Aha, I was considering leaving him out of the photo as he's not as spooky, but he is their little friend ;_;

I've been working on a fantasy skirmish game in the vein of Mordheim, with the goal of creating a more streamlined game that doesn't take as long to understand. I'd appreciate any criticism.

I'm planning to use an I go, you go system where both sides draw from a pool of activation points in order to move, shoot, etc. Each unit would have a cap of 3 activations per turn since you don't want one guy running around and doing everything while the rest of the team watches gormlessly.

The combat system is based on an interaction of unit stats and equipment, where different weapons will allow units to make different attacks (ie a halberd can both be used for stabbing, which increases the number of attacks, or hacking, which ignores up to a certain class of shield)

Bear in mind this is a very early draft, meant to show how the basic systems work, there will be some inconsistencies and I'm going to rewrite a lot of stats, but this should give a general idea.

I forgot to mention, I'm also writing fluff for a setting and will be adding rules for campaigns once I'm happy with the skirmish rules.

>10mm Is the smaller slightly uglier cousin to 15mm.
>6mm/3mm/2mm are all great but they function the same in terms of scale.
I'll expand a bit for you, since it sounds like you don't actually play these scales:

10mm is popular for fantasy mass battle games and company-level scifi - warmaster and dropzone commander come to mind. It's the smallest scale where you can still easily identify hero characters, but gives a big battle feel. It also lets you make all your monstrous creatures out of discarded 28mm stuff, much like 15mm. For scifi, it works really well for urban battle setups with lots of infantry and armor, but it's still a bit cramped to model artillery or aircraft well.

6mm hits all the same notes as 10mm, at a larger size, with the downside that at this scale human-sized figures become "faceless". Locations of important individuals will likely be marked with flags or similar. On the other hand, this is the largest scale where you can really do a good job of modeling varied terrain types, artillery, aircraft, naval, communications, fog of war, etc on a normal size table. Epic used this scale to do 40K battles with all the huge formations and titan mechs.

2mm / 3mm (corresponding to 1:1200 and 1:600, approximately) change the focus. At this point, any infantry are usually just tokens, and even armor may be modeled with multiple tanks/base. But you can do big stuff like naval engagement and mass land battles well. This scale is thus popular for modern, alt history, and hard scifi. Dystopian wars is an example.

it is of course, did you really think you can have a biggish community without people saying some retarded jokes sometimes? Shitposting isn't even that bad as long as it doesn't take over the general. Just don't be retarded enough to get triggered by clearly joking posts. If you don't get all worked up about your thread quality it can even be fun.

How do stripper cyborgs appeal?
Syntha from Urban War might work. Also available in beefcake flavour.

I really dislike how all the biomechs became weird beefcake things
I was really digging the basic cheesy-ish synths and then suddenly the tone shifts hard to "sexy" and I was left confused.

>The smaller you go the more realistic wargames look.
That's not true. I always hate that when people bring this up, they entirely close out the possibility of engagements that take place in close quarters.