EDH/Commander General /edhg/

"Unfortunately Real Commanders" Edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Full C17 Decklists:
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/commander-2017-edition-decklists-2017-08-11

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Namefag bitchfest, but people often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question
If you had to play a commander you don't already from Mirage Block or earlier, who would it be?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-frogs/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/oloro-stax-wip/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/scion-and-dads-reanimator-combo/
magiccards.info/query?q=o:{X}&v=card&s=cname
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I LOVE YOU ATRAXA

Maraxus of Keld for sure
get dat voltron rolling!

Get ready for Griffin tribal next year. Zirilan seems legit enough for a fun jank dragon deck.

How do Mairsil and Quicksilver elemental work?
I've been told theres a combo between the two but I don't see it

This. It seems pretty easy to make him a really big guy

Quicksilver Elemental under Mairsil, target himself with Elemental's effect, he gains all of his activated abilities, which is all abilities of cards under him, but he doesn't have the once per turn restriction.

which league character should represent her sexiness? ^_^ I think it should be Elise because shes hot as a button XD

how sure of that are you?
JUDGE!

i prefer looter effects over mill. mill is honestly pretty shit for the most part, mesmeric orb doesn't help you look for answers or give you card advantage, but looters do

off the top of my head:

careful study
frantic search
compulsive research
faithless looting
catharthic reunion
tormenting voice
thirst for knowledge
careful consideration
fact or fiction
ancient excavation

pls go

Is collected company good in newzuri? On edhrec it's not even listed under the used instants. Currently running 36 creatures and 10 are more than 3cmc.

wow fun police
you must be great at parties HAHA
cant wait till the summer fags go back to school

>10 are more than 3cmc.
cut that to 1 and then i think it would be worth playing

Not a judge, but read the card. The "once per turn" restriction is a static ability linked only to abilities that he gains from Caged cards.

Can anyone provide input regarding my Gitrog deck?
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-frogs/

>thread question

I'm slowly working on a Hazezon Tamar deck and already play Ramses Overdark. Older legends are cooler to me so I try to use them instead of just getting caught up in the flavor of the month precon legends.

>Thread Question
>If you had to play a commander you don't already from Mirage Block or earlier, who would it be?
Pepper your Angus

>the frogs
Only 1 frog

I'm looking for some advice on making my stax deck. I'm trying to make it creatureless, but I can't come up with the last little bit to finish it off. Any and all advice is appreciated.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/oloro-stax-wip/

You're better off running hard tutors like Uncage the Menagerie.

>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/oloro-stax-wip/
well first off you are running Descend upon the Sinful and only 18 lands so how about you cut shitty cards and increase the lands to a point where you could reasonably get one or two in your opening hand

Just tested Inalla on Cockatrice.
Homy shit, Panharmonicon + Anathemancer is hilarious.
>opponent plays 3 Shock lands
>summon Anathemancer
>clone twice
>ping 6 times
>burn for 18 damage
>kill original Anathemancer
>revive next turn
>he played another non-basic
>burn for another 24
>he dies
Get fucked, expensive landbases.

I'd slap in some basics as a filler for now, and you def need more than 2 mana rocks.

If this is what it looks like (and it looks like you're building out of only what you actually own), don't bother asking because we're not gonna give you suggestion after suggestion after suggestion only for you to say "I don't have that"

OH GOD I CAN'T STOP THINKING ABOUT ATRAXA

Just to clarify, you had Inalla on the field, yes?
Panharmonicon only works with Inalla when she's on the field. If she's in the Command Zone it won't copy her Eminence.

Yes, I had her out, cast Anathemancer, got board wiped, then revived them with Ever After the next turn.

>Panharmonicon only works with Inalla when she's on the field. If she's in the Command Zone it won't copy her Eminence.

Hunh, you are totally correct.

I was already trying to figure out ways to abuse it. Damn

>shock lands
>expensive landbases

I mean, you're probably playing an ETB wizard, so it'll still get you 3 triggers.

Dude, there's people on here that shit their pants every time gA posts a list because he has duals

>
>>one card infinite
>I'm not seeing infinite here.

Inalla in command zone, enemy open to attack. Drop wanderwine. Put Champion on the stack then Inalla's trigger. Pay for Inalla making a token. Token's champion goes on the stack, champion the original. Swing. Sacrifice the token to get an extra turn, original comes back, put Champion on the stack, then Inalla to hide the original under a token again. EoT the token dies then do the trigger dance again that will make a new token lasting until the beginning of the next end step, or more accurately until you sacrifice it to get an extra turn after slapping somebody.

You need 9 mana on the first turn, 2 mana per turn thereafter, and an open opponent but the only card that ever has to get through your hand, enemy counters, and so on is Wanderwine since Inalla can just sit back and eminence.

While you beat a vulnerable opponent to death at 4 life/turn you have that time to find another infinite or a way to open up your other opponents like Cyclonic Rift.

Of course
I just liked the safety of eminence triggers vs having inalla on the field.

>not using 70% basic lands

>not having the other 30% be fetches shocks and duels
you were so close user

>duels
ABUR duals
woops

Eminence was a mistake the first time they printed it
why the fuck would they do it again?

I have no idea how the fuck id build him but itd would be interesting

Because it's OP, and therefor it sells.
Look at Atraxa for a different example. She's in every color but the worst, has relevant word salad, is cheap mana wise for first cast, is a popular creature type (angel), is from a popular lore setting (New Phyrexia), and has a quite strong triggered ability.

Although I fully agree, Eminence is a giant stupid mistake, even on Oloro. Making something that affects the entire game and has literally 0 counterplay is complete pantsu-on-head-retarded.

Wizards just never learns from their mistakes, and/or they completely misinterpret feedback they do get. (ex. removing FNM promos entirely because they were attracting competitive players, instead of simply reducing FNM promo power by choosing lesser powered cards; or nearly completely stopping Masterpiece series altogether after the Invocation debacle, instead of just reducing the number of different cards they choose for it each set)

Voltron.

using creatures with cheap CMC, but good stats (usually they have drawbacks, but you just want to copy the P/T)

and equipment. Swing.

That is about as much as I can see coming from him

reminder if you play atraxa you are a normie

I was actually thinking of maybe doing Atraxa Angel Tribal because everything in those colors has pretty artworks.

>Eminence OP
Tribal is already a weaker archetype in commander. Most of these abilities aren't actually over the top. Infact most of the secondary commanders look to be much more competitive then the eminence commanders

>question
I'm a sucker for Naya tokens.

If you think Oloro's free value from the zone is at all equivalent to Inalla, Ur-Dragon, Arahbo, and Edgar requiring you to build your deck in a bad way, you're wrong. The problem with Oloro is that he encourages "Oloro+Esper Goodstuff," which is cancerous. You can't just build 5c goodstuff and throw Ur-Dragon at the head and expect it to come out better.

with Ovinomancer in an Inalla deck, I can use his tap ability in response to his sacrifice trigger, right? It's a cute ability as long as you have a way to give him haste and the token can annihilate itself to make a goat.

the sad thing is that all the eminence abilities are actually pretty shit

the way they could've made tribals good would have been by printing more good typical EDH creatures in the tribes, and by letting people gain utility value out of said creatures. more creatures like kess and krenko, and less stuff like the GW cat commander that hamhandedly try to make shitty cmmon cat cards worth playing

CAT TRIBAL
A
T

T
R
I
B
A
L

Sure, as long as it has haste. Then the trigger will resolve, and you can choose not to bounce the lands, since the default action is the sacrifice.

Why not just Kaalia so you can actually play said angels?

>The Shitposter Moves On
Kindly kys

So more generic goodstuff is what you're asking.

sort of? the point is to make the creatures themselves worth playing so that people actually want to play those cards, and not that they HAVE to play those cards.

plus i'd love to see more stuff like that one card that lets you tap creatures to summon more of its type, except maybe tribe specific, like tapping clerics to summon demons and so on

Because I already have her and the Bant colored Angels look fucking beautiful.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/scion-and-dads-reanimator-combo/

what do you guys think?

Rule question:

>Go to attack, declare attacks with Scion of the Ur-Dragon
>Holding priority, I activate scion and tutor The Ur-Dragon, Scion becomes a copy.
>As it attacks, Ur Dragon's ability activates, I draw a card and place a permanent from my hand onto the battlefield
>Permanent selected is Atarka, World Render

Does atarka's effect activate, giving scion doublestrike?

There's no point in running tribal if it's not parasitic.

No, Atarka, World Render triggers when you declare attacks. If you've already attacked and triggered The Ur-Dragon it's too late to trigger Atarka.

So, few things.

1) You don't "hold priority" there. As active player, you're the first one to get priority in each step and phase.

2) Ur-Dragon's ability does not activate because it does not have an activated ability, it has a triggered ability.

3) It also doesn't trigger, because it wasn't an Ur-Dragon when it attacked. For this to work, you'd need to make it a copy of Ur-Dragon BEFORE attacking.

4) Atarka also does not activate, because Atarka does not have any activated abilities.

5) Atarka also doesn't TRIGGER, because Atarka wasn't on the field when Scion attacked.

oh I see, thanks! Still kind of new to rulings like this

It's not a "ruling". This isn't Yugioh, you don't need judges to make a 'ruling' on every interaction between 2 or more cards. It's just the *rules*.

Yugioh doesn't do rulings in the TCG anymore. They do in the OCG because of a lack of PSCT, but that's a whole different can of worms.

>PSCT
>causes more problems than it solves
Man, the TCG is such a ruling clusterfuk.

Is Inalla's Eminence the only one capable of causing game-ending loops all by itself? Everything else seems rather tame "play minions and jerk off to your tribe" without a lot of wiggle room for actually using the eminence as your win condition.

Though I suppose you could probably do something janky using Phyrexian Altar and/or Ashnod's Altar and Edgar's tokens.

If by "all by itself" you mean "alongside at least one other card and a lot of mana", or "2-5 additional cards", yes

He's got a unique ability but I couldn't find any good tech for him except for Wall of Blood. Anything else he works well with?

Since Edgar needs you to cast you need to keep tossing things about with Cloudstone Curio, and since it's a cast trigger the token comes into play first and can't bounce the original card cast. When it comes to the actually abilities they have, I don't think it's controversial to say the Ur-Dragon wins, but getting there is a struggle.

Well, I meant as the core engine behind the combo.

As the core component of a combo, then yes, I think it stands alone compared to the other Eminences

Yugioh is in a really unhealthy spot right now, and the major disconnect between the TCG and OCG is a big cause of it. They hardly work together ever on anything and it leads to big disputes and the shit show that is the split banlist. TCG keeps it up because the guy in charge is actually salty about some cards and doesn't even want to let them off and because they want to push new product while obsoleting the older stuff if it doesn't get powercrept out. The OCG is better at balance most of the time, even if they let the broken shit have its time in the sun for a little while. The PSCT is the least of their issues right now with the rampant powercreep making the game highly unstable and somewhat inaccessible to new players with a lack of more than one competitively supported format. As much as I have fond memories of the game, it's super unhealthy right now.

>0 counterplay
Tainted Remedy

If you clone the cat boss you give a cat +6/+6 each combat, not game ending but makes a nice buff

"Right now"? It's been poised to collapse horribly since the day it launched.

The TCG being Tewart's and Julia's playpen sure fucked us up, but ah well, I can wait until the game becomes interesting again if it ever does.

Aren't a ton of people planning to leave the game en masse? I heard Japs were furious about Links and stores threatened to stop ordering products.

Until they unfuck the Judge program everything would just be a band-aid

I haven't played yugioh since late zexal era. What the fuck is going on?

Okay, what's your cute counterplay for The Ur-Dragon?

Worthless judges, horrible ruling text on the cards and really fucking boring cards, I don't mind broken but I want my broken shit to at least be entertaining ala Big Eye wars during the dragons era.

I wouldn't go that far. The game has always had a history of slow spots followed by times of rampant growth, only to stagnate again. In more recent years, however, the cycle has been increasing in speed. Times of stagnation and powercreep are flipping by so fast now that it never feels safe to invest in anything. Not to mention the TCG has removed regularly scheduled banlists to even further be able to push product however they please.

There's been some major outcry, and not just over Links. Konami is shifting things too quickly at a time in an attempt to gouge players. Add to that the TCG's tendency to bump anything half decent in rarity to artificially inflate the price of their products and you get a bubble raring to burst.

I guess he could include a lot of Charge Counter mana rocks to let Atraxa help power out more angels?

Banisher Priest.

What do I search for on magiccards.info if I want to find Cards with X in their CMC\Abilities?
I tried searching for "equal to X" but it gives a bunch of false positives.

Could they at least support some other formats other than advaced? Get a highlander format or some shit like that.

As a Magic judge, I wouldn't blame YGO's judges on an individual level. Blame their fucking awful Judge PROGRAM.

Steel Golem/Conspiracy donation

Sandwurm Convergence

Mana Cost>X.

No no- when I say poised to collapse, I don't mean due to lack of interest or sales

I mean that it's a terribly designed game that was cobbled together to cash in on fans of the manga (where Duel Monsters originally only had like, one arc, until it took over the entire story) and has been treated like a cash cow Konami expects will die "any day now" since release. Everything about the way they handle it screams that they're trying to milk every cent out of it while they can, rather than keeping it thriving for as long as possible.

The thing is, neither of those things are any better because of The Ur-Dragon's eminence. They don't interact with the ability at all, unlike Tainted Remedy vs. Oloro.

magiccards.info/query?q=o:{X}&v=card&s=cname

That'll get you anything with X in the abilities, at least

They tried to rework extra deck summoning by separating zones into main monster zones and extra monster zones to "balance extra deck special summons", limiting your extra zones by default to only 1 for each player, but also adding a new type of extra deck monster that are able to "unlock" your other main monster zones for extra deck summonings and "to slow down the game". Now every archetype trying to be relevant either has to be spamming those 'Link' monsters out the ass, reviving extra deck monsters a million times while summoning 1 at a time or by having a broken as fuck, undestroyable, untargetable main deck boss monster while pretty much completely killing Synchro and XYZ spam decks and forcing them to play Link monsters in order to even summon several monsters from the extra deck without using graveyard revival as a middle-man. You literally can't summon Quasar-like Synchros anymore without either summoning a Link before or by reviving the Synchros necessary from your graveyard.

Add to that and ridiculous rarity increases for the TCG (i.e. an archetype that was almost exclusively commons in the OCG being imported with 2 unused cards being common in the TCG and everything else being basically Ultra Rare and Secret Rare) and you got yourself a gigantic fucking shitshow.

Bless you kind user

mana>X in the search bar, to clarify.

I actually meant Containment Priest, my bad.

>but also adding a new type of extra deck monster that are able to "unlock" your other main monster zones for extra deck summonings

Why is this motherfucker so fun to brew?

Golem makes him unable to cast Creatures, Conspiracy (naming anything but dragons) is a perfect foil to his
eminence