Could the Skaven work in the 40k universe?

Could the Skaven work in the 40k universe?
I mean they did phone the eldar once on accident

Other urls found in this thread:

manticgames.com/mantic-shop/deadzone/veer-myn.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Hrud used to be Skaven, the one in the 3E rulebook still has a rat tail.
Hrud function is still Skaven-like, right down to the plasma muskets. Would love to see an army one day

It is gonna happen, GW knows there are a lot of Skaven players looking at the new 40K, I bet it will be revealed summer 2018

Give Orks, Tyranids, (Dark) Eldar, and Necrons new/updated models first.

Give AdMech some damn transports too, even if it's a rhino or chimera with red paint.

They could work as xenos, but there's limited thematic ground for them. In whf the skaven are the corrupt darkness waiting under the empire, in wh40k there's already chaos for that and the imperium is already corrupt and messed up. The 40sKaven's themes would have to find space between orks and nids who already do mass horde consumption, and something else. Might work as a dark counterpoint Admech, but there's already dark mechanicus.

Not saying they can't but it seems tricky. Could go evil tau, guns, weird battlesuits and war engines, the greater good being 'make more skaven' and that's about it.

Oh huh. Just thinking about it now. They have a cast system too. Could work. Might be stuck in thinking it has to be a binary though. The problem being how to include them in 40K either as a new threat when there's already nids, or as a thing that has always been but never focused on.

I just want skaven with pauldrons, is that too much to ask? Come on emperor, you already allow Primaris marines...

Id rather squats come back

>pauldron with rat tail and jezail sticking out from under it
It would look cool, I'm just not sure how to have them and not just be more chaos. I like more chaos, but it seems to upset people on the internet.

Then make them Order, they can be friendly fuzzies in an otherwise cruel universe...

Unlike Chaos, Hrud can lurk in the shadows between walls and decks of ships outside the warp.

>rat ogre with pauldrons
>hellpit abomination with pauldrons

Why stop there? Rat swarms with mini-pauldons on each rat! Doomwheels made of attatched pauldrons!!!!!!!

Before there were Hrud, there were motherfucking Skaven.

Skaven in 40k could work quite easily and I hope GW adds them

>the horned rat with 13 pauldrons on each shoulder

Skaven in 40k are the Tau.

But they are not furred, no thanks

Make them a minor faction and style them as space junkers hitch-hiking on hulks and occasionally raiding fringe settlements, backstabbing each other for the best loot and only beholden to the 13 elders. Like space gypsies with ramshackle autoguns and patched together voidsuits.

I've been really wanting to do a small space-skaven gang for shadow war/necromunda but gas mask conversion bits are basically nonexistant and the monopose clanrats don't work well for conversion.

Rats with gasmasks? Mantic has you covered. Have you ever seen the Veer-myn?
manticgames.com/mantic-shop/deadzone/veer-myn.html

I saw those, however despite the nice masks i'm really not keen on the miniatures themselves and nowhere I can find has spares in stock.

Plus i'm not the worlds greatest converter. Or modeller.

Necromunda has rat-cult tribals anyway

There's a fair bit of Skaven-ness in Genestealer cults as well, and they share things in common with various factions in Necromunda. I don't really think there's space for them in the game, other than as some kind of small allied faction like says.

>phone the eldar once on accident
d-did that actually happen?

Ratlings are hobbits. Wee manlets. Crap warriors, fat, lazy, greedy, they lifted the descriptions wholesale from The Moot section in Warhammer.

Yep, they freaked out and dropped the phone and shot the shit outta it.

that sounds amazing, can I have pics or links or some shit like that
I don't know how to search for it

>rodotoxin only affects skaven
>there are no skaven
Pick one, he wasn't saying ratlings are skaven you downs-syndrome africoid

Admech/Skitarii already fill the slot of mad science.

Not talking about Ratlings, they're affected by Orthrotoxin, like other abhumans.
Rodeotoxin's the one for Skaven.

From a thanqoul book

The setup is the Skaven have overrun one of the major Lizardmen temple cities, and are looting all the treasures and ancient devices the Slann use when they happen upon this:

“The warlock engineers soon discovered the Device of the Great Beyond, a communication apparatus that spoke to beings from beyond the stars. As they swirled its many dials, a querulous voice spoke through the stone speakers. That voice, fair and clear caused the Skaven to bolt away. The device was something like the far-squeaker, but the melodious tones that issued forth were, if anything, kin to the despised speech of the elf-things. As they did not understand the alien language, nor how the arcane contraption worked the warlock engineers pulled the device apart and shot it with warplock pistols until it stopped making any sounds.”

This is why I love my malicious little rat men.

Found a hilarious chaos cultists conversion of skagen on ebay. A bunch of rats with kalashnikovs.

They're already in there, they just changed into genestealers.

>They could work as xenos, but there's limited thematic ground for them.

Except Skaven literally had the same problem in Fantasy. Plague and Disease? Nurgle. Scheming sorcerers and mad science? Tzeentch. Insane bloodlust and hunger and hate? Khorne. Reproduce Reproduce Reproduce, arrogance, warp drugs? Slaanesh. Expendable hoards of suicide troops? Night Goblins. Skaven were always the better faction, but they never really had a niche due to the fact they overlap with others. They're basically just Goblins + Chaos, or Beastmen + SCIENCE! Despite being better than either.

Instead, Beastmen should have been a puppet race/army of the Skaven, originally created by them to terrorize the surface, and The Horned Rat should have been a gestalt god of Chaos Undivided (since Skaven culture encompasses all of the traits of the four). In fact, the Skaven would/should believe The Horned Rat to be the true form of the Chaos Gods and it is only stupid man things who see four where there is one.

Skaven could work quite well in 40k, as Chaos Xenos not aligned with Archao- I mean, Abaddon, because fuck him yes-yes. Instead of living underground? They live in the Webway. THEY are the terrors that the Eldar/Deldar fear in the dark, wild places of it. They are old-old, older than Elf things, who only tunneled into the dark space, older than metal men who steal into their tunnels like sneakthieves. The oldest servants of Chaos, yes yes, unknown by all, secret, sly, the true instigators of the original War In Heaven - just as the Skaven tricked Araby into invading Estalia in WHFB.

cont:

Without beastmen or Goblins, they're free'd up significantly. As a sci-fi trope, they become the shadow beings from between the stars. Able to tunnel through the webway and reach any world anywhere in the galaxy. Making use of the warp itself, solidified into a material substance, as a currency and power source.

Of course you run into that same old one upmanship problem of NO I AM THE TRUE OLDEST POWER BEHIND EVERYTHING HAHAHAHAH that 40k has continually had, with the Eldar and Chaos and then the Necrons.