Why are Napoleonic-era settings so rare? You can't walk ten feet without tripping over a Medieval setting...

Why are Napoleonic-era settings so rare? You can't walk ten feet without tripping over a Medieval setting, and even Renaissance settings aren't that rare, and Victorian-era settings are everywhere thanks to steampunk.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/53007202/#53007202
discord.gg/UuCvP
youtube.com/watch?v=9lzSoKOs1fc
youtube.com/watch?v=9__6m6iOodw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

that's some sexy fetish art

Aren't your standard pirate settings Napoleonic ?

What is it? The Rose of Versailles bad end?

>medieval period

1000 years

>Renaissance

300ish years

>Victorian period

63 years

>Napoleonic Wars

12 years

Because Napoleon is a very specific time period of about twenty years. There's always colonial gothic and Crimean War that you could potentially add on to a Napeolonic setting because they are at least similar on a surface level, but generally you don't see much about the Napoleonic Wars other than historical military fiction because it's an incredibly specific time period with the specific interest of wars and battles, not much about myth or daily life.

There's also the whole issue of defining what "Napoleonic" is. Do you mean the general spirit of the times, the environments, the battles, the technology, Napoleon himself, what exactly does specifying it as Napoleonic mean as opposed to "turn of the 19th century"?

The fact you are underexposed to something doesn't make it rare

Kill yourself

/thread

Limited time period as people already pointed out, but also its when centralized authority and modernism really got it together enough that independent adventuring (the staple of most rpgs) is harder to do.

Mostly they predate Napoleonic era by several decades/half a century, some times even a whole century or two.

But my guess is that OP wants to play a game set in Napoleonic era land.
I suppose folks couldn't make one because it would be more technology intensive than magic intensive.
Also battles would either be fencing duels, pistol duels, stand downs with guns that would end poorly for the one in less cover and who doesn't hit his opponent.
Also any and all larger battles would be waged by large formations of rifle infantry and fights with monsters would fall into following categories.
>PCs used a cannon to kill a single big enemy
>PCs used some hired arms and their own guns to take down a small horde of enemies in a blink of an eye
>PCs fought with swords with some enemies and this battle took the longest out of these all

So, my uneducated guess is that Napoleonic era games would end up being rather boring, either sticking to time period realism and thus being less fantasy or integrating magic and such in it and then it is regular medieval fantasy with less armor, more guns and sillier hats.

>World War II

6 years

>Modern day

By that logic, wouldn't sci-fi be the most common, as it's a theoretical infinite years?

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/53007202/#53007202

Because the good guys lost in the end

The real reason.

boring and shit aesthetic desu

op pic is only good because of creamy white tits

Can you imagine actually having such shit taste as this user?

No thank god. Clearly is possible, but it's utterly incomprehensible to me.

What is the difference between victorian and napoleonic? Didnt both live in the 1800s?

A lot of things happened in the 19th century user. A bit like how WW1 and the Cold War both happened in the same century but they were really quite different.

>Why are Napoleonic-era settings so rare?

Because people are unwilling to think in terms of the long 18th century to open up the volume of things to work with.

More importantly it is hard to not make the game play of a political bent. The period is defined by strong passions and stronger wills. People fought not just because their leaders forced them to but because they believed in what they were fighting for.

A lot of the things set in WWII are really set in the year right it starts. I would say the Spanish civil is a good starting point of it. So it is really more like 9 years.

Because nobody cares. No, really, if game makers cared, they'd make the settings, and if the fans cared, there'd be a strong enough draw to have those settings be made, but neither one of those things is there.

And there's also the possibility that the Napoleonic era isn't seen as...fictional? Think about it, it's mostly in the realm of historical miniatures, but Medieval and Victorian settings are usually wrapped up in fantasy and steampunk as you mentioned. There's no fantasy twist to make lines of muskets and bright uniforms more interesting to the average joe, no grand stories of heroes or renegades that aren't straight from a history textbook.

>What is the difference between the 90s and WW1? Didn't both happen in the 1900s?

The Powder Mage trilogy is fantasy along these lines. Powder Mages themselves being mages who use gunpowder as a reagent for their sorcery and have a level of supernatural control over it (sniffing it like cocaine/snuff to enhance their senses, transferring the energy of a shot elsewhere to stop a gun from firing, guiding their bullets, etc.)

>But Medieval and Victorian settings are usually wrapped up in fantasy and steampunk as you mentioned.
The problem with the Victorian era is that it's literally all steampunk. Not even steampunk as an aesthetic, but steampunk as a "setting" ie. cogfop.

It's shit. SHIIIIIIIT.

I think a big problem is that people of the 'Napoleonic Period' and all they think of the is military history, which really doesn't do the turn of the 19th century justice. You've got the French Revolution, the Reign of Terror, the culmination of the enlightenment philosophy, the collapse of feudal Europe and the beginning of the industrial revolution. Hell, even military history is just shortened to big lines of men shooting muskets at each other. What about the Guerrilla War in Vendee against French Catholics? What about the Battle of the Pyramids or French puppet states in Italy and Germany and their civil wars?

People are thinking too small.

Isn't it?

Not really. I haven't done a headcount but I'm tempted to say Gothic horror settings are a more common take on Victorian themes than steampunk.

Okay, keeping all that in mind - that there's more to history than what people simplify it to - what is interesting there for a setting?

Even when you shorten the Middle Ages to 'knights and dirty peasants,' you can still get a barebones fantasy setting, or King Arthur, or something out of that. What are you really getting that's interesting for a setting out of the Napoleonic period? It's not 'punk,' which is usually when things are shitty and there are rebellious undertones, usually you can't throw in magic since that goes against the logic associated with the Enlightenment. What's really there?

>A conflict that involved more Nations and every continuing on Earth is more popular than some manlet riding through Europe a couple of times

Yes.

>54908498

>american education

The great age of carribean pirates ended in 1710s at most, probably 1700s.Blackbeard's end was just the nail on the coffin.

Napoleonic shit is great in wargaming circles, and for obvious reasons. Not much "adventuring" possible in that era- you'd be way better during the Revolution itself.

>unless you are some of haitian slaves revolting, I guess - shit is the very definition of grimndark and hopeless

And yes, it doesn't realy a definite "aesthetic". Baroque itself is way better in this regard.

If anything one would expect there to be a Aubrey/Maturin rpg, considering the relative freedom and "adventurous" navy way. But thing about that, what would you really do as a group? The carpenter doing carpentry all day, with maybe a battle in which all the players as officials command a gun squad?

Mon nègre!

>what is interesting there for a setting?
Not him, but it's stupidly easy.
>An age of rapid technological and political advance
>An age of turmoil where birth means nothing and talent means everything
>An age of liberalism beset by the spectres of the Ancien Régime on all sides
There's more than enough for a small group of gunhobos to do all kinds of crazy skirmish shit. And if you're running out of ideas, you could always do the whole "medieval fantasy but with muskets" thing.

I think there's this French RPG called Khaos 1795 that takes place during the Reign of Terror, except the Supreme Being is actually some kind of Eldritch horror. Also, let's get one thing straight here: the Cult of the Supreme Being is literally the only thing Robespierre did wrong.

I can't tell whether you're a butthurt Brit who ironically believes that, or an ignorant American who unironically believes that. You do realize that the Revolutionary Wars set the stage for the entire 19th and early 20th centuries in both political and ideological terms, right?

>napoleonic wars

>not on every continent

I'll give you that no one landed on Antartica to search for some lost naval bases, but it's stil more "world" than ww2 which saw no action in southern america.

Boobplate is really the worst magical realm there is

No it's not, it's ornamental, same as having sculpted abs in your armor.
Depending on how its used, it can make the setting feel even more authentic.

>Powder Mages themselves being mages who use gunpowder as a reagent for their sorcery and have a level of supernatural control over it (sniffing it like cocaine/snuff to enhance their sense
That sounds retarded

Wasn't what was going on in South America a series of separate revolutions and rebellions?

Boobplate is a lesser evil. Still not authentic, but loads better than chain bikinis or all the other ways to show off curves and avoid being restricted by armor - while still getting all the protection, of course.

Is Bloodborne Victorian? I hear it a lot, but it takes inspiration from shit like the Brotherhood of the Wolf, which was set decades prior to the French Revolution.

Would anybody be down for getting together to brainstorm a setting like this on discord or something? I've been thinking of just weighing in and homebrewing a big old Colonial/Napoleonic-era high fantasy setting for a while. Steal the trappings of the era, the strategy, the fashions, the social mores, the technology, etc, and introduce it to your standard high fantasy universe, see what we come up with. Could be something interesting.

Make a server and they shall come.

People say Victorian because of the big, dark, gothic-horror sort of city the game takes place in and some of the fashion in it. Sort of has the aesthetic of the horror writing of the time.

Fun fact: Napoleon was of average height. The belief that he was small was the result of a conversion error between the English foot, which was twelve inches, and the 13-inch French foot, which unaccounted for chops a full head off his reported height.

Hell, why not.
discord.gg/UuCvP
Those who want in, hop in.

It didn't help he surrounded himself with giants.

That exactly. Excpet they weren't separate at all, they were triggered by Spain getting rekt.

You do realize that lorica musculata was NOT sculpted around the user's chest mucles, and that the problem with having protruding armor would be pretty obvious?

But Gothic horror dates back to 18th century and takes its inspiration from Gothic style with things like Frankenstein and Dracula living in old castles and such. Bloodborne seems almost pre-Industrial Revolution, where technological marvels are invented by individuals in workshops. There's no indications of heavy industrialization. A major Victorian city would surely have factories and housing for workers.

Napoleonic
>Great political changes
>Death of the old regime
>War, war, war
>French dominance
>Austria as a great centeal power
>Napoleonic warfare
>Colonialism isn't so much the hot shit now

Victorian
>Great economic changes
>Birth of industrialism
>War, but not so much
>Anglo dominance
>New central powers
>The massed infantry lines + cavalry are improved but still similar to napoleonic and you even have the maxim near the end of this era
>New nations in general, and a new colonialist drive

>Why are Napoleonic-era settings so rare?

I don't know much about that time period not have I consumed much media set in that time.

When I think about Napolenic era what usually jumps to mind are

-large armies clashing in europe
-ships of the line ripping eachohter apart at the battle of the nile
-the french army suffering in Russia
-waterloo

All of these involve large organized regimented groups of people doing things and many individuals dying to disease, exposure, over exertion, malnutrition, and combat.

Such things do not generally lend themselves to player or player character agency.

I know there's more to the Napoleonic era then that, and that some of those may be good fits for a game, but I lack exposure to those things.

I'm guessing this is true for a lot of other people.

Sure, but they still weren't part of the Napoleonic war - they were their own thing. It'd be like saying the War of 1812 was part of the Napoleonic Wars.

Do you realize that the point of ornamental armor is to look good and not actually be defensive since the person wearing it wouldn't be going into battle anyway?

You could always do fantastic voyage like Gulliver's Travels or Baron Munchausen stuff.

never heard of Brown Brown?

Oh and in the new world:

Napoleonic
>USA is basically recently out of the independence/1812 wars

Victorian
>USA could be in the Civil War or you could have shit like the goddamn wild west

Meh, it was more so because everyone hated him and wanted to make fun of him. It really started with political cartoons in Britain.

Urge to unite Italy or Germany early is rising.

>

>You do realise X, right?
Veeky Forums jfc you really need to stop doing this. It's the new "UH AKCHUALLY" but with even more smug, wankish vibes to it. It makes you seem like a pack of intellectual narcissists. Which, to be fair, you probably are, but don't make it so fucking easy to spot.

I keep forgetting it was Napoleon who sold us enough land to more than double the size of our country.

Ain't nothing wrong with UH AKCHUALLY if the person is "akctually" correct.
The truth is far more important than pleasant sounding words.

I think it's because people view it as too organized and not "personal" enough. But I feel you could argue this over any time period.

Fantasy is all about imagination. There is nothing wrong taking a Napoleonic setting and spinning it a bit to add legendary creatures, magic, period-incorrect tech (crappy tanks, maybe).

Cavalry was huge during this time. Would be kinda cool to do a Quest for the Holy Grail kinda RPG during the napoleonic wars. Cuirassiers would be the knights questing.

Well....who says that boobplate is sculpted around the user's breasts? Why can't they be an aesthetic choice as well?

You aren't trying hard enough.

grats bro you managed to sound even more like an arrogant tard

It's like saying the second sino-japanese war isn't part of ww2 to me.

Eyup.

To be fair I think as hobby RPGs are TERRIBLY lacking in actual war settings, but still, yeah, it's pretty bad period for a band of heroes (or muderhobos) being indipendent and relevant.

I would LOVE for a Conan O' Brien RPG to exist but I can't imagine even that.
In OP's case, it is.

Every Age of Sail story or setting that isn't about pirates ends up in Napoleonic territory, and some that are still do.
I blame Horatio Hornblower.

Nothing tried harder than this movie!
nyuck nyuck nyuck

Bloodborne definitely has some Victorian aspects, but overall it might be more accurately described as being Georgian influenced than anything

Who gives a shit, this isn't a rhetoric competition, it's a discussion, I assume that most people here actually listen that what's being said rather than how it's being said.
There is a very important distinction.

There are ways to convey the truth without making yourself sound insecure and unintelligent. They even work better.

You can play as anything other than infantry of line. Napoleonic skirmishers, scouts, sharpshooters, like Jägers and the like were fought in open formations. Some of them even had rifles (slower to reload but more accurate) instead of flintlock muskets characteristics of line infantry.

>some Victorian aspects

Like what? Genuinely curious.

youtube.com/watch?v=9lzSoKOs1fc

Will absolutely join if you can guarantee you're not going to use Orcs as a pastiche of Africans or Native Americans or something unforgivably lazy like that.

>creamy white tits

They're hidden under armor, how can you even tell?

They even had spec ops at the time. Would be cool to do something like that.

Disgusting weaboo, rococo aesthetics are rad

What if the orcs are russian or german?
What if the orcs are french?

In the novel isn't he fighting with us Burgerbros? Someone told me they changed it to sell better here in The States.

Isn't that being adapted into a Savage Worlds setting too?

KEK HE JUST UH AKCHUALLY'D IN RESPONSE

Because playing games in the French Revolution and the rule of the Directorate are intensely more interesting, duh.

Git guillotine.

youtube.com/watch?v=9__6m6iOodw

>tfw no 7th Sea group

Isn't the 18th century when Frankenstein (novel) takes place?

Well, technically it wasn't until Japan got involved in the wider World War. If the war had stayed only between China and Japan, it would be unfair to call it a part of WW2.

>I would LOVE for a Conan O' Brien RPG to exist
>Conan O' Brien

Says the invite expired.

It's not really the line, it's the freedom that one more less can think SOME units in ww2 enjoy (if that's the word).

>rococo

>THAT

Yep, but that's kind of a strange case. In most novels of course they fiight the french (or close allies at most, like the spanish).
In some, like At Far Side of the World they fight the dirty colonials (in another one before they got rekt and imprisoned, even) and theoretically this is the one that inspired the movie the most: a long race against the elements to catch them up in the Pacific.

In truth the movie doesn't have basically anything of the plot ot that one tough, even if it is the only one (i think) with a similar chase. It's even a little odd in the series, featuring less combat, more becalment, problematic crews, natives and even -gasp!- woman on board for the whole book.
I think they conflated that with at least two other books (possibly Desolation Island? Can't remember). The plot isn't there, but the spirit pretty much is.

>Maturin best spy ever, anyway. Bond my fucking ass.

Why not play as a mercenary from an early Megacorp like the Honourable East India Company?

>Modern Day
>1 Day

Mmh, OK this is early 20th century (1823), not many years after the Napoleonic wars (1803-1815), but I'm sure you could borrow some elements.

In general, anything that has to do with exploration and ventures into uncharted territories should to the trick for virtually any setting. Just add magic, mysticism, mystery and monsters instead of just bears.

>early 20th century (1823)

Ups. I meant 19th. Fuck me.

Fuck you, that bear should've won the oscar instead.

More seriously, a survival RPG a là The Long Dark would be sweet, but it's napoleonic as much as the Toltecs are high middle ages.

>He doesn't want to do a bayonet charge.

It's time for duelling for something inconsequential and stupid like "I don't like the colour of your rooms".