/gc50/ - Gen Con 50 General!

It's "Will Call" day, and that means the 50th Annual Lake Geneva Conference is now open!

Who's got plans this weekend?

Who couldn't make it?

Who am I going to see at all the history panels?

What free swag are you hoping to get?

Are the anniversary swag items really worth it?

The only reason I care is because I want to see Starfinder get shit on.

This is my first ever con and I'm so nervous, the only game I play is d&d5e

i'm running games for Games on Demand for the second year in a row. Friday afternoon and all day Saturday.

if you don't know what to do with your time, grab some generic tickets and come to GoD. 2hr and 4hr games, Lots of selection specializing in smaller, or more indie titles. not focused on playtesting like IDGN, more about playing finished games. lots of game designers as GMs.

I'm running feng shui 2 and into the odd.

It's my first Gen Con, but I've been to others like PAX East where MTG and CAH were giving away free cards.

My first merch of the con! Picked it up because I was sure they'd be out by Saturday when I get my day off.

Where can I buy generics?

Goddammit Samsung. Anyway, it's a Belgian beer glass.

Sweet I picked up the dice bag

you can buy generics near the ticket will-call/pickup area. i believe you can also buy them at most even stations. it is $2 per generic. a 2-hr game at GoD is 1 ticket, a 4-hr is 2 tickets.

The Starfinder booth! And there's only one staff sitting there, distracted!

>Who's got plans this weekend?
I'm heading there. Probably gonna do some BattleTech and some MTG. Not sure yet though.

>What free swag are you hoping to get?
Whatever people will give me for free.

>Are the anniversary swag items really worth it?
Probably not worth the cost. Usually that sorta stuff never is.

Will be there tomorrow. LOOKING FOR Q/TG/GUYS

Really user? You're going to GenCon to find a fuckbuddy? Wrong kinda convention for that, my man. I'm down to fuck if you're a really cute femboy though.

Gonna be peddling MTG cards at the Warstore booth. Come say hi to the bearded guy!

Yo, since you're here, do you happen to have a foil Exploration for sale? If so, what's your price? I might be down to pick one up.

We didn't bring much in the way of random foils. Sorry, user.

Don't forget the secret handshake.

There's some small rpg company publishing a game they call "Dresden Files but not the Dresden Files" that I forgot the name of. They're doing sessions in the Westini think, and they'll have freebies for people that come.

Hey, happens. It's a pretty expensive foil, so there was a shot. I'll still check out your booth anyway of course, Warstore's a good concern.

if I mention I'm here from the internet will I get a discount?

Does Wizards do give-aways at Gencon like they do at PAX East? I went one year and got like 20 free boosters.

Better pic of the glass. This'll be collectible in 50 years!

Bought a shirt to commemorate the Golden Anniversary.

More pics from Starfinder before it officially opens. Here's one of the main villains.

And one of the typical adventurer heroes.

My cheeto dust is ready

aaaAAAAuuuuh!

Eh, most Genconners are metadata.

*megafat

You got Goblin Guides and fetchlands? I might pop by if you do.

How packed will the convention center be?

Serious question: how do you afford going to gencon? I remember a careers thread a while back and like 70% of tg was either students, retail or in food service. I don't get how people can then drop $200 a night on hotel plus airfare plus con tickets plus food plus any other crap you will buy. With no merch that's like $1600 minimum.

i live in chicago and drive down the convention center. i organize with a larger group and we split ~12 people over 4-5 rooms. some in our group are industry people, so we get some discounts.

there are also lots of opportunities to get free tickets by volunteerings with game companies. lots of groups have a "GM for X hours, get a free pass" deal e.g. monte cook games, games on demand, etc.

Might just do that Beard-user.

I don't get it.

>how do you afford going to gencon?... I don't get how people can then drop $200 a night on hotel plus airfare plus con tickets plus food plus any other crap you will buy.
I am stretching my budget to the limit and school resumes the Monday after the con but a combination wanting to experience a giant Veeky Forums related event and a friend to split the expenses with makes it bearable. Pro-tip user: don't get a hotel right next to the con instead look about 20 or so miles away for cheap deals and drive there in an economy car. 40 mpg for the win! As far as buying crap goes that will be where I must pass. Maybe a book or two but nothing more than that so I'll be focusing on events.

I'm not paying airfare and sharing a hotel room with 5 people

Because I'm only going for one day and I live in Indy. And yeah, right now I'm in a shitty low-paying job but I know I'll get something better soon so I'm willing to pay for that 1 day plus con merch plus food.

I can't go! Reason being is I spent all my money going to Pennsic, which was damn good.

Problem is, I really want the Maze of the Blue Medusa hardcover book. The thing looks so fuckin' beautiful. As far as I can tell, it's the last place it'll be.

I live less than twenty minutes from the convention center, know how to game downtown parking, and don't have expensive hobbies outside of gaming.

For those coming from further afield, they tend to carpool, split hotel rooms, or crash on the couches of friends who live locally.

>game downtown parking
Care to share your secrets?

IUPUI campus is about a ten-fifteen minute walk from the convention center, and it has event/public access parking that costs about a third of what the parking directly astride the convention center costs. Also the campus parking is 24/7, so you don't run the risk of getting your car locked into the garage overnight the way a few of the parking garages by circle center mall/the convention center will do if you get back too late.

If they run event parking for gencon like they have in the past it will be 7 bucks for a full day pass, but even if they don't it'll be at most 12-14, compared to the mall and other parking garages which can run $30+ for all-day parking.

argh. meant to link to

Still got it and still appreciate it. What are the odds of finding free parking?

I live in zionsville, ~10 miles north of Indy so I don't have hotel expenses. A 4-day pass was $100, and I saved up $400 for tickets and swag just by not spending every penny I get paid.

I'll admit that if you need to fly in that's very different, but it makes it much more affordable for me.

I make plenty of money in a year, and budget for the event?

So where are we meeting up?

We're all metadata, user.

I've seen a few thin qt boys

Can someone post pics of the Kingdom Death booth and the shit they have for purchase?

Pretty much nonexistent, unless you're a government employee or are attending IUPUI and have a parking permit. It's not that there isn't free parking around the area, but there's not very much of it, it tends to be in businesses that tow people who've been there too long, it's farther away than the campus, and what little there is fills up extremely quickly.

I'm busy 1-5. Before, after, or tomorrow works for me.

This.

It's all over reddit.

Including a resin crimson bellerit.

>Star Wars Legion
>TT Wargame star wars.

>crimson bellerit
A what?

Behelit, probably.

twitch
.tv/boardgamegeektv

Still haven't seen any IRL streams of Gencon. I'd rather watch someone walk around the convention than this advertisement table.

Well I'm finally here

Order it online? It blows all his other books out of the water.

The physical copy is no longer available online. It's supposed to be a one-time printrun artpiece and the last non-gencon copy sold out in April. The LotFP booth will be the last place to get it without scalpers.

The pdf is still available though.

Hey, has anyone seen the guy who buys and sells used 40k?