Prejudices against Fantasy Races

Do you have any prejudices against any fantasy races Veeky Forums? Do these show in game?

Personally I'm not a fan of Gnomes.
>Be Gnome
>Be short
>Fucking midgets midget short
>Not cool or tough like a Dwarf
>Not happy or carefree like a Halfling
>Can't go to normal sized people places or get trampled to death
>Can't go hunt or fight cause I got tiny ass legs and can't go far or fast
>Can't talk to people cause they can't hear me from way down here
>Sit at home all depressed all day
>Tinker with random shit because that's all I can do
>Actually make something
>No one gives a shit
>TFW when I'm completely irrelevant compared to other shot stack races and humans can tinker just as much
>TFW Only relevant when I'm standing in a garden

Just not a Gnome guy. What about you?

I think gnomes are great.
I hate all the personality-less block-of-stats races like goliaths or dragonborn. Tieflings are also bad, but mostly due to the players that play them.

I respect your opinion user, I just can't seem to like Gnome, tried playing on once and just couldn't do it. Talked to the DM to have my character leave so I could roll a new one. I don't mind Goliaths as much as Dragonborn. To me it's either be a full dragon or no dragon not the half dragon stuff. For Tieflings I think are just due to the players mostly, The concept of them is pretty neat.

I don't like aasimars because they imply a celestial being mated with a mortal which seems unlike a celestial being. Also, they're treated as a separate race even though they are mostly human/parent race with only a little angel in their ancestry.

Aasimer don't have to be direct blood descendents. A good deity could just bless your line and once in an while aasimer pop up. Shit just being AROUND sufficiently power Good outsiders can make that happen, it's like magical agent orange. Same goes for tieflings and fiends.

>Your great ancestor was a powerful cleric of a good god. You might not know him at all, but his presence was blessed by divine spark and it truly shows in some of his descendants.

There.

Gnomes are tricksy nature spirits that got tied to material realm. Compared to the other maligned midget race, halflings, they are a lot more whimsical and chaotic. Halflings are salt of the earth types, gnomes are toned down faeries - with strange interests and dreams, at least compared to the other mortal races.

The way I've always imagined Aasimar is that they just regular humans who are just a little bit celestial (that can be done through various ways). They look like a regular human aside from a few but noticeable differences the key part is that the differences aren't crazy that enough to make it look like they celestialish
Like:
-Blonde hair but it's like a shining golden blonde
-Their eyes are slightly different in some way
-Their skin is paler than usual even if they work outside

Just things that would look off on a regular human but would look relatively normal on a celestial being.

The problem is basically that gnomes aren't anything particular.

Personally I'd made them slaves. No, really. A whole races of domestic elves.

I'm pretty sure it says aasimars can be brought about by blessings from celestials, not necessarily sex with them.

Just re-fluff domovois/ brownies into enslaved nature spirits (as opposed to totally wild house spirits that will fuck you up if you piss them off).

That would work pretty well imo. Use basic gnome stats, give them a racial cantrip - something domestic, like mage hand or lighting fires or light and go from there.

Maybe they're enslaved because their great ancestor was tricked into making a foolish pact, and as partially fey creatures they're still required to follow the pact.

In my setting I'm slowly working on Gnomes don't even exist and I'm very content with it.

Surprised Dragonborns haven't been mentioned yet. They were clumsily forced into D&D without properly justifying their place in the setting and then lead to them ungraciously usurping Elves as the special snowflake race.

Mostly my idea. Perhaps there is also a relatively common spell/magic item that can reestabilish their role as "slaves", tough PCs of course aren't gonna be tricked into that easily.

If not, this.

I honestly don't get why DND keeps gnomes around. I mean, it's not like every race is very deep (tiefling tend to be... not good), but I don't see their niche, really.

I... kinda like dragonborns. Basically the chosen ones, but they're not really sure chosen for WHAT.

Also, aesthitically different.

Well, I'd probably like elves and dwarves more if it weren't for my overexposure to Veeky Forums's incessant memeing. There might be others but I can't think of them right now. In general, I try to avoid letting that sort of thing distort my character unduly, and I'd just outright exclude them from a setting I made for GMing.

Gnomes are stupid, they overlap too much with halflings, although to be fair halflings are just ripoffs of gnomes.

I despise pathfinder goblins

Was never a fan of dwarves

Fucking everything that is associated with fey/faerie/fae/seelie/unseelie.

>annoying forced whimsy
>overbearing hypocritical nature romanticism
>faux mental illnesses
>oh we touched themes of sanity, guess what: cthulhu crossover again
>"trickster" so prepare to be railroaded into being tricked
>all the annoying traits of elves with raised powerlevel
>gothic kitsch art
>come with fey realm made out of trickery and asspulls
>dude, like, original fairytales were totally hardcore
>edginess
>always beautiful despite everything

I like the fey in world of darkness, in general I can see why you don't like them though

I just hate the whole thing about Fey=Tricksters stuff, they could make it so much more than that.

Certainly hate when they make gnomes and/or Halflings into THIS.

Elves, Dwarves, Gnomes, Halflings, Goliaths... Basically any race that's near identical to humans in appearance.

I mean you don't gotta go full Thri-Kreen (although those are sweet), but if you're going to call yourself a different race give me something beyond "shorter than normal" or "pointy ears".

Holykittens?

Dwarves and halflimgs. They can be functionally replaced by humans in most settings. Someone mentioned appearance but I'm more concerned about culture and role. At least with orcs, they're different in a level where different human cultures might have a united race vendetta against them.

Why not the elves as well?

Not the race itself, but dwarf players. Probably extends to orc/half-orc players, too.

>haha drinking
>haha beards
>haha i roll to itemidade the inanimate object to do thing
>haha so manly

It's the race, sadly enough.

I honestly think half-orcs are easier to characterize a little less meme-y.

>personality-less block-of-stats races
Sounds like a 5e problem.

Elves usually suffer due to players. I find the race and lore is usually fine in most settings, since there's a large variance on elves and the inherent mysticism they demand usually gives them unique roleplaying angles or a relationship with human cultures that other humans can't fulfill.

don't care for flying races. flying should be a class ability (i.e. magic), not racial

imho anything anthropomorphic just seems cringe

I'm the opposite, I hate all of the block-of-stats with a single race-wide mandatory personality forcibly bolted onto them.

I'm not sure what your point is.

You're saying basically that elfs being magic makes them pretty unique?

Or that dwarves are too monolithic?

I'm saying it depends on the setting, but there's a decent chance that an elf culture founded on magic and lived in by the ages will allow narratives human cultures won't. If not physically, elves lend well to cultural distinction from humans in being forced to develop differently even when they live near each other. For example, Warcraft Blood Elves developed beside humans in tandem and share a lot of customs with them, and I believe largely age at the same rate, but their connection to mysticism justifies a race wide addiction to magic and susceptibility to corruptions. This lets a DM that might want to run the setting play with unique threads and lets players angle concepts human characters would have a hard time working with.

Dwarves do tend to be monolithic and the stereotype they've developed usually has nothing so alien culturally or any physiological distinction that I can't straight up replace every dwarf in a setting with a human.

I see. I don't totally agree, but is a fair enough position.

Agree on all accounts. Fucking hate fairies, fuck em. I've read Berserk. I KNOW WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU TRUST A GODDAMN FAIRY. THEY TURN INTO BEES AND START RAPING EACH-OTHER. AND THEN THEY WANT TO RAPE YOUUUUUUU

That's hot.

Gnomies are cool yo.
You could treat them as nephilim or jesuses.

My first ever table top game, my first ever character, his first encounter (wandered off, failed a few skill challenges in a bar) racially-motivated fight ensues:
Called my Dwarf a 'rock biter'
I coup de gras his ass.

My DM loved it so much it's cropped up in ever game/campaign we've done the past 15 years somewhere.