Code words and euphemisms

What are some code words and their meanings you've picked up on regarding traditional games?

>narrative
The combat is about as shallow as a kiddie pool.

>detailed skill system
Requires a PhD in math to determine how good your character is at tying a knot.

>open character creation
Here's a huge pile of points, put 'em wherever you want and hope you didn't accidentally make a crippled useless pile of shit while the other players more familiar with the system made demigods.

>uses a d20 as its main die
Literally just 3.5 with a coat of paint covering up 17 years worth of rust.

>gritty realism
The devs watched one episode of Game of Thrones.

>realistic
Unintuitive and clunky as shit.

>inclusive
Made by furries, for furries.

>alternative history
The dev can only ejaculate if he's wearing a nazi uniform.

>intuitive
Only 30 pages of FAQ and errata needed for the core rules!

>rules lite
You might as well just be playing freeform.

>Detailed character creation
Good thing I have the next 6 hours free otherwise this would be inconvenient

>homebrew
It's a badly constructed rip-off of a setting or character from the GM's favorite shitty media form.

>verisimilitude
"I read a post on The Forge once and now I know how all roleplaying is supposed to work"

>universal system
Really bland, samey mechanics. Roll Skill A to achieve Outcome B, flavor as you will.

>tactical
Slow

>intrigue
The GM doesn't know how politics works and expects the players to have a similar understanding.

>video gamey
Hell if I know, half of vidya RPGs just play like automated D&D.

>anime
I don't like this.
-or-
Non-casters are not completely useless.
-or-
It has anime-style art.
-or-
I have no idea how this system works, but look! References to anime!

>Gish
I watched too much anime

D&D isn't anime.

>Veeky Forums
Mostly garbage.

>Toon
Not only do I view tabletop like you would World of Warcraft, I enjoy Skub.

>Really bland, samey mechanics. Roll Skill A to achieve Outcome B, flavor as you will.

As opposed to what?

Y'all sound like a bunch of unpleasable salty fucks who couldn't give an honest review to a dev without the cloak of anonymity backing you up.

> Player Agency
Crummy GM made my actions have consequences.

> GM Fiat
Any time the GM isn't spoon-fed by the system and is required to make a judgement call, be creative, or otherwise use their brain.

>dnd
Adequate but ultimately unsatisfying system.

>railroad
The GM wouldn't let my character wander off into the middle of fucking nowhere or start my own business or go on a random murder-spree while the rest of the party did actual important things.

>real dnd
Whichever version of the system I started with

>real roleplaying
Whichever style of roleplaying I personally subscribe to.

And gish don't belong in D&D.

D&D invented them you fucking retard.

Good one, I was about to go with

> GM Fiat
I have mistaken the flexibility and improvisational capability of a human GM - the literal unique selling point of tabletop RPGs - for a flaw in the medium.

Masturbatory D&D players breaking the spirit of the rules invented them for the most part. Gish make sense as a particular feature of Githyanki culture, but that's strictly NPCville.

Running games where you have to GM fiat everything isn't exactly entertaining.

But they're not breaking the spirit of the rules. Fighter/Mage multiclasses and the Elf class from Basic have been around forever.

>That class is overpowered!
"I wish I had picked that class before the other player did."

> games where you have to GM fiat everything
I am bad at reading comprehension and assume that if GM fiat is involved in a game at all then absolutely everything is fiated.

This:

> might as well just be playing freeform.
I am bad at rules literacy and don't realise how the incorporation of random mechanics in a rules light game allows for a qualitatively and categorically different experience from full freeform, because freeform cannot function except by mutual agreement and assent whilst dice rolling allows for outcomes that none of the participants in a game anticipated or considered but can then build on. Thus, whereas freeform relies on consensus, even a rules-light system provides sufficient tools to disrupt consensus, consequently providing a fundamentally different experience.

>caster supremacy doesn't exist
"I refuse to play any tabletop RPG except the one where I can use my extremely specific combination of abilities that were never meant to work together, which allows me to break the game's combat over my knee and steamroll over any threat."

I deserved that.

We probably are, but to be fair, most devs are unpleasing salty fuckers.

>open and welcoming community
Either
1. Full of grognards and neckbeards who fear the sun and aren't sure women actually exist
or
2. Full of trannies, furries, and nu-males, none of whom actually care about or even play the game

These days it's about a 50% chance of each.

> Grognard
Anyone who doesn't think that new things are automatically better.

> Millennial
Anyone who doesn't think that old things are automatically better.

> It's meant to be a hack-and-slash system because there are more rules devoted to combat than anything else.

I'm too stupid to roleplay through an investigation and too autistic to roleplay through a conversation; I need extensive charts, complex rules, and multiple die roles for every single thing that my character does.

What the fuck is D&D?

>classic styled rpg
here's glorified ad&d with some fun shit
unironically i love dcc and some other "classic style" games though

This, plus "I probably think bluffing isn't important in poker because there aren't many rules about it".

...are you lost?

>I don't like when players are minmaxing

Are you perfectly OK with playing a crippled warrior type or an caster with 10 INT/WIS/CHA. Be my guest.

>I don't like when players are minmaxing
"My wizard has Weapon Focus: Daggers because he has an heirloom dagger as a memento from his father."

No, it's just I seem to have wildly different ideas of the spirit of D&D than the person I responded to. I'm curious what they think D&D is supposed to be, because the Gith occupy a place nearer and dearer to my heart than many things when I think of D&D.

On the flipside:
>restrictive and elitist community
Actually quite nice, just autistically obsessed with uniform colours