/BGG/ Board Game General - Licensed Games Edition

/BGG/ Board Game General - Licensed Games Edition

Previous thread:
Pastebin:
pastebin.com/NA2W929q

---------

The Thing, Breaking Bad, Terminator, Game of Thrones, ... the list of board games based on movies or TV shows is long. What are some of the great ones and which ones are the worst offenders?

What games in your collection are based on a movie or TV show? How do you like them?

Which franchise would you love to have a good board game of that doesn't already have one or only has a shitty one?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/ruleandmake/status/898167626521772032
kickstarter.com/projects/evildead2/the-terminatortm-the-official-board-game/
zeemaps.com/map?group=2658308#
youtube.com/watch?v=zrMP7LXb6JM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Btw the OP pic is from here: twitter.com/ruleandmake/status/898167626521772032

Also gave me the idea for the topic.

And no it's not the same game as this: kickstarter.com/projects/evildead2/the-terminatortm-the-official-board-game/

shudder...

I own this, haven't played it with kids though. It's pretty simple, they should be fine at that age. Recommend house ruling 1 points card per fish caught, gives some incentive to keep trying once you've been caught.

I have to wonder why instead of making shit board games like these make some Legendary Encounters: Terminator games?

I would play the hell out of this but how would they do the first movie? The only playable characters would be Sara and Kyle.

Just did a trade for Terra Mystica, coming in the mail soon. Did I get tricked by reddit / bgg or is this actually a great game. It looks like a lot of fun but I've only played the app a little and it's hard to get the feel of a real game via its app.

Either way I can always resell it if I don't like it I guess.

If you like euros where you develop an economy and expanding your area, you are going to like it. IMO it's the best of the genre.

what do you mean exactly by that house rule?
To give only 1 point cards and get rid of others?
From watch it played it looked like after being caught u still can gather your fishes so there is a point afterwards.

I definitely do. So I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy it. I'm just hoping I can convince / trick several friends into playing it because it "looks like Catan but with more stuff"

If you like Catan, you will find TM so much better in all the right ways.

I don't like Catan personally for a few specific well dead-horse-beaten reasons, but Terra Mystica seems to fix any issues I have with it and just be in general better. My friends are pretty open to heavier games and they liked Scythe which has Catan esque elements (in their opinion). So here's hoping it's a hit.

>What are some of the great ones?
Star Trek: Fleet Captains is still a personal favorite.
Spartacus has worn a little thin on me finally, but it's certainly one of the better ones.

>Worst?
Probably the three million monopoly licensed editions.

>Franchise that doesn't already have one or only has a shitty one?
-Predator
-Terminator
-Monte Cristo or Three Musketeers could be fun.
-Hellboy
-Judge Dredd / 2000AD
-Quake / Unreal Tournament / Tribes / Some other Arena Shooter. Titanfall is closer than most popular stuff these days, I could go for that. Frag and Adrenaline are about the closest attempts anyone's made, it's clearly a difficult genre to translate well.
-Blade Runner?

>cooperative terminator game
No, fuck you.

Always interesting reading about Agricola vs Caverna, seems consensus here is Agricola. But I'm curious what /bgg/ thinks about Le Havre? I've only played a couple of games so far (one solo, one 2p), but it seems to be a lot of fun. I know it's not strictly comparable to Agricola but it's got a lot of similarities. Agricola is my favorite game of all time but Le Havre has some potential. Thoughts on it?

>cooperative terminator game
>No, fuck you.

I got some bad news for you regarding that newly announced Terminator game...

>A cooperative game that involves miniatures, dice drafting and card manipulation, T2029 will see players commanding officers in John Connor’s army in the war against the machines. Players will work together to hold back the Terminator forces and allow John Connor enough time to reach Skynet Central Command. To win the game, players will also need to hack into Skynet’s Defence Grid, reprogram a T-800 and send it back to 1995 to protect John Connor.

GOD
DAMN

I wanna try pushing this for a few more threads. If it doesn't get any more interest I'll stop.

zeemaps.com/map?group=2658308#

It's a map to try and see if there's anyone in your area to play games with.

Despite popular belief, Kickstarter games don't generally make money until they've officially come out and start making money in the real market. There's still an obvious incentive to want to make a good game, especially if you want to stay in the business and have money for your next game. There's too many good games right now to say we're going to see a videogame ET crash. If people seriously get too many bad games like the Terminator game, they'll just do research into what is actually good or leave, leaving boardgames with a slight growth from what the fanbase already is.

Added me!

It's called 'Not reading.'

Oh.

Why is it that deckbuilders are more fun than games like magic, yomi, and android netrunner?

Because you can't get mad about bad matchups?

It depends the deckbuilder. Hero Realms (2-player) and Clank! are fun as all hell, Dominion is fair but not suprising anymore, Ascension/Cerebus Engine/Hero Realms (3-6 player) got unfun.

To follow that up regarding Yomi and Netrunner, it also depends on your playgroup. My place has a small Netrunner group, but no Yomi group. Guess which I played more of.

I like a good deck builder but I will forever despise Ascension and the luck-sack common row bullshit it popularized.

I have plenty of licensed games.
>Legendary Encounters : Aliums & Predator
Great shit, if you like coops and deck builders this is very hard to pass up.
>Buffy the vampire slayer : the game (Milton Bradley)
Surprisingly good, if a little antiquated. In many aspects feels like the prototype for Flying Frog's Last night on earth.
>Transformers Armada : Battle for Cybertron
Fun lite card driven skirmish game. Uses the "Star Wars epic duels" system.
>RISK : Game of Thrones
No idea why I bought it. It's alright I guess, but it's pretty much just risk with a few added rules and special powers thrown in.
>Star Wars RISK
The Queen Gambit remake. Shit I heard the game was light but I had no idea it was THAT light. However, the game does not outstay its welcome and is a fun two player diversion. I like it !
>Ghostbusters : the board game
This game gets a bad rap in my opinion. It's light and very random but not entirely devoid of strategy : clever placement and usage of the characters special powers is usually how you win scenarios (I'll admit, good rolls are pretty much mandatory too)
continued...

>TMNT : Shadows of the past
The mechanics for the baddies and the turtles are very different yet both excellent (dice sharing for the turtles and card management for the baddies) and it's a lot of fun but I think the game could use more stuff. I dont think it's a very good seller for IDW so I'm afraid that's going to be it for the game.
>Star Wars Imperial Assault
Bores me to death. Gonna get rid of it soon.
>Resident Evil the deck building game
Kind of an interesting topic this one. It started out... horrible. I mean, slow and overlong, And gradually, as new sets and expansions came out it evolved and is now pretty decent. I mostly keep it because resident evil is like instant nostalgia to me.
>Beowulf
Got it for super cheap, it's an abstract. Got NOTHING to do with beowulf.
>X-wing
Same deal as Imperial Assault
I'm also waiting for a few KS : Evil Dead, Terminator and The Walking Dead No Sanctuary

Yeahhh.... I'm a sucker.

How's the TM app? I've wanted to get it but I see so many complaints that I am hesitant to get it

Do you like TM and want to play it even when you can't get it to the table? Then sure. Is it worth 10 bucks... idk. That's perspective I guess. As for the app itself I find it plays well if a little slow at times

Nah just a random points card from the deck as usual. RAW you're only trying to get your remaining fish to end the round sooner, but that only helps the players who haven't been caught.

>I dont think it's a very good seller for IDW so I'm afraid that's going to be it for the game.
I would have bought it if a significant amount of content wasn't kickstarter exclusive.

Ok I got confused but now it's clear. Seems like a valid point. I'm going to play it mostly with my nieces which won't understand the score system so much anyway. I hope the dexterity aspect will catch on them.

>jump in before bump limit
>same font over image
>doesn't include the fucking MAP

good job OP keep it up

bad timing
>best
not anymore

Just added myself!

I've never played TM but I want to because none of my friends would play. They get overwhelmed with Catan

I get what the common-row is for in games like that, else the game gets stale (hi Dominion.) What it needs is to have strategies that are easy to access and reward players for following it. The Character cards from DC Deckbuilder that give you bonus power for buying certain cards showcase this concept but fail to execute it proper.

yesterday the password was fubar

also you should put the password in the OP with the link not on the actual map itself

So, you have already played it?

>Which franchise would you love to have a good board game of that doesn't already have one or only has a shitty one?
-Metroid
-F Zero
-Metal Gear Solid
-Megaman
-Transformers/Robotech/Zone of Enders/Zoids I just want fighting robots dammit

With the buzz of TI4 my attention has definitely been piqued. Would anyone mind telling me what the difference between TI3 and TI4 is?

Are they just updating the art or is there more to it? What does 4 offer that 3 doesn't?

On the whole map two people will be within 20 minutes of each other and won't be you and me user.

I know the feeling pal ;_;

They really aren't changing very much with the new edition. New art, a smattering of rules changes, and excluding some of the less popular variant options from TI3 + Both Expansions, but at heart it's pretty much the same game with a few lessons learned.

The simplified technology progression, deformalized trade agreements, changed up some of the strategy cards a little (rot in hell, Imperial I), disabled politics until someone takes Mecatol Rex, and futzed around with the racial abilities / flagships / techs to some unknown but nonzero degree.

So for someone who hasn't touched TI at all but is interested in it, would 4 be a good purchase?

Do any of you folks play deck building games like Legendary or DC Universe? I saw that Cryptozoic is throwing a few more brands out there. But what about stuff like star realms and that companies products. Has anyone tried them and liked them. They look more like a TCG than a DBG

I'm probably the only one here who even knows of this game, let alone being hyped for it... BUT I AM FUCKING HYPE!

It certainly looks that way to me, if you can stomach the price. It's partially justified in that it has most of the components from the last edition's expansions other than additional colors of miniatures. . . But the game was never good above six players in the first place, if you ask me, so I don't consider it much of a loss.

Star Realms is a nice and quick DBG. If you played with just the base game then I can see it getting stale after a while. It also has a free app you can download to try it out, that's what I did. If this helps you decide, I taught of friend of mine Star Realms and after two games she hopped on Amazon and bought a copy for herself.

I also have the attack on titan DBG and I really enjoy that one but I'm a fan of the show so I'm a little biased

I appreciate your help

I think it was last thread but one user asked how long FFG was taking preorders for TI4. I emailed their customer service and they just wrote back:

>Thanks for reaching out! We are taking pre-orders while supplies last. You may be able to contact your local retailer to try to secure a pre-order as well. Thanks!

Hope that helps

That's a big mini

>mini
That word may not apply anymore

The scale of the minis in the game is 15mm instead of the much more common 32mm, so larger minis automatically look even more imposing when next to those tiny humans. But still, the 21-inch wing span is almost ludicrous.

I haven't played any of these but
>The Thing
great board game material but I strongly dislike social deduction soo
>Breaking Bad
bad board game material
>Terminator
bad board game material
>Game of Thrones
incredibly hard to make a good board game out of this but I get why they keep trying
maybe they'll actually succeed someday
>Star Trek
literally can only make fan service for this IP, fuck Star Trek
>Spartacus
now there's a social deduction game I would play (original movie as the IP of course)
>Metroid
Nah
>F-Zero
Yes
>MGS
Yes
>Megaman
I'm sorry user, you...you mean you didn't know?
>/m/
Fuck off

Threadly reminder that 7th continent is the best board game ever made

Why?

>Fuck Star Trek
Trek actually does better than most licensed properties in board games. There's absolutely plenty bad ones out there though.

I know about Megaman, I just want one that isn't shit

>Which franchise would you love to have a good board game of that doesn't already have one or only has a shitty one?
- F Zero
- Harvest Moon
- Fate (Type Moon)
- Etrian Odyssey

Nah, it was put up some threads ago and then instantly dismissed because the only thing going for it is "herfderf big model, model big, did we mention the bigness yet? BIG"

So what exactly do you know about the gameplay besides nothing? You are no better than the "minis = good!" people with your ignorant "minis = bad!" mentality.

To others who are more openminded and are maybe a bit intrigued, watch this from 29:37 to find out more about the game. youtube.com/watch?v=zrMP7LXb6JM

And what does a big model like that actual add to the game that a smaller model can't?

Gravitational Pull

It has the best sense of exploration of any game I've ever played. Because the map isn't randomized garbage it feels as if you are exploring and actual environment that had thought put into its design. You might think that this would be an issue for replay value but the continent is so fucking huge that you're not going to go to everywhere there is to go on a single playthrough. It kind of feels like the same exploration you would get out of a metroidvania game. Its so fucking satisfying when you've explored a huge chunk of the map after a long play-session and at the end you get to look at this big beautiful map that's all laid out. The game also has the best "save" system I've ever seen in a game. Super quick to setup and put away. The gameplay mechanics are also tight as fuck. Pretty much all of the gameplay is handled through one deck of cards. The main deck of cards is your life total, how you obtain new skills, and also how you mainly pass stat checks before you get items and skills that help you with that. Whenever you do an action in the game there are two requirements. One is the minimum amount of cards you need to draw from the main deck and the other is the amount of successes you need to get. These successes are just star symbols drawn along the side of the skill cards. Some skill cards have full stars (1 success) and others might have half stars or no stars at all. Whats interesting is that you can draw as many cards as you want from the deck. so you can pretty much make sure that you're going to pass a check by drawing more cards but its going to come at the cost of your health. Not only that, but the cards you draw are also the skill aka "idea" cards that your character can use. So no matter the outcome of the stat check you are pretty much always going to get something out of it because you're allowed to keep one of the skill cards that you drew.

Its literally perfect.

Is it going to suck the smaller minis into it until there's enough mass to turn into a black hole?

Perhaps a feeling of epicness? Sure such games could use stylized meeples or cards or chits but sometimes just seeing something like that in a board game genuinely adds to the experience. Is it necessary? Of course not. But it being that big and detailed and imposing can really make a difference in how you feel when you play such games. You act like having such minis automatically means bad game. I don't agree with that.

A game that doesn't need a fuckhuge mini to attract attention is typically a better game.

How is Yomi a deckbuilder? Did anything got changed radically? Last I knew it was a preconstructed deck duel

You make the assumption that it NEEDS to do that. How do you know? How do you know that the game isn't simply a good game and they decided to add that simply for flash and epicness? You know nothing about it besides seeing that dragon mini. If you make rock solid opinions about games with so little information then I'd be wasting my time in further conversing with you.

You must have missed the original post where the user was pointing out that deck builders are more fun (to him/her) than preconstructed deck games like Yomi.

Any mini game is no more than a miniature advertising ad in rulebook format. If you are lucky it's good, if you are unlucky it's WH40k.

That being said, asking "why does this game needs a fuckhuge dragon model" comes from the wrong basis. The house wanted to sell a fuckhuge dragon model, so they sculpted it and then made appropriate rules for their sales catalog, I mean game.

Oh god yes, I am retarded

That sounds like a recipe for a shit game.

Thought mine would be here by now but still with the courier. Id say ill have it next week but wont get to play for a while

Glad I backed it anyways

Wait, what? You can't just go around admitting that you made a mistake! This is Veeky Forums. That kind of rational behavior won't be tolerated! Not one bit! Mods! MMMMOOOODDDSSSS!!!!

I figured it was a simple mistake. No blood, no foul.

Posting stash and a question:

anyone know of any boardgame like Republic of Rome, where you have to cooperate to manage various board states and everyone gets fucked if the game meets some losing conditions, but everyone is also racing agaisnt players for teh victory?

You perfectly described New Angeles.

And also archipelago.

post yfw you didn't fall for the time stories meme

For you :^)

Is it a bad game?

Whenever I see this, I wonder how many people who post it actually remember the full quote.

It is a box where you add expansions to.

It's terrible, at least the story in the base box. You can't use your deductive skills at all because shit makes no sense, just poke around and do and redo stuff until you get it right.
I'll take a look at the both of them, thanks. Of course what I'd like is to find a copy of RoR...

Is getting /bgg/ to banepost part of your plan?

Its the worst board "game" I've ever played.

Anyone here play Too Many Bones or Gloomhaven? Are they good?

I assume you're a fan. Unfortunately all the stuff that's out for it is "remember this from the show?" Sure, there's systems and objectives with thematic tie-ins, but every Star Trek game I've played I'm just going through the motions without any payoff

Star Fleet Battles, my man.

Federation and Empire

>The Thing, Breaking Bad, Terminator, Game of Thrones, ... the list of board games based on movies or TV shows is long. What are some of the great ones and which ones are the worst offenders?
Sons of Anarchy better be good because I bought it because of bgg

>What games in your collection are based on a movie or TV show? How do you like them?
Sons of Anarchy better be good because I bought it because of bgg

I hate even the idea, but
> Futurama
> Archer
> Princess Mononoke

Oh I also have AT Card Wars, is a decent little game.

Is it available for purchase yet? If not, when?

I actually do like good production values but more detailed minis do pretty much nothing for me. I'd rather have a game like Xia where you have a few pretty derpy models and put more money into the boards and other components like money, cards, cubes, tokens, ect.

Minis are nice for bringing a creature to life, but I don't find the people actually playing the game care how far they go past a certain point.

Of course!

Better than Agricola IMO, but the theme is less appealing. Kinda long too.

Our dragon is big, big I tellya. It is the best dragon we -and you know I mean this- the best there's ever been, and you know I've seen a lot of dragons. This dragon is big, so big - it is yuge, ok? You'd better get this game right now, because the dragon just got 30 ft taller.

Well congratulations, the thread is now shit! What's the next step in your master plan?