Legend of the Five Rings General: Kiku Matsuri Now

The day is upon us, samurai of Veeky Forums. The first official tournament for FFG's new L5R is happening in 45 minutes at Gencon, the Kiku Matsuri which is going to have lots of implications for the first arc of the new story and what clans get what roles in tournament play till Winter Court. FFG's post about it is here, and there's an internal link to their facebook livestream which is going to broadcast the event: fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/8/15/kiku-matsuri/

This thread is additionally for discussion of the LCG in general, the CCG of old, or the RPG.

Are you ready? I'm ready. Who are you hoping is going to put up a good showing? Who do you hope gets BTFO?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dxmpZBuiuf4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

As always I hope pheonix and crab get BTFO.

I'm currently experimenting with a crane control deck that focuses on having a lot of honored characters and am in a three-way bind on who to splash

1. Pheonix for kimonos and pacifism. Giving me more ways to honor easy combos with spies as court and savy politician

2. Scorpion for edicts and burning madness for more event denial and easier triggering of my stronghold

3. Dragon for attachment control and stealth from let go

Its starting for the record. Complete with a whole procession of clan banners in

Let Go is just too fucking useful to pass up unless you have a specific plan for other cards in other clans I feel, desu fampai.

That being said Crane/scorpion seems almost OP

Katrina is so fucking tiny

Good Scorpion woman

STREAM WHEN?

Hell Yeah! Go go Unicorn!

Opening ceremony stream is done, are they going to stream the tournament though? Its going to be like a five hour stretch. I figured they might just post results after each round

You guys sadly are most likely to get fucked, finicky clan to play with a bunch of new people to the game? Just hope that the story result they pick for you is the get investigated one, not the get fucked one.

REMEMBER TO TWEET ALL THE SWEET HASHTAGS, MY FELLOW Legend of the Five Rings(tm) FANS! #kikumatsuri #craneclan

You're not my twitter supervisor! I spammed on behalf of Phoenix

I recognize we are screwed over but I just really hope that the clan is given the interesting choice

I understand why they're doing it, but it still sucks that the competition to determine the first Hatamoto is single core. Especially when the clan whose shit is on the line apparently sucks the most in that format.

Unicorn tears are delicious. Their fiction was all about the entire Empire bending to the Unicorn instead of adapting. The first story point proves the opposite. The Unicorn will adapt to the Empire.

Phoenix are honestly probably the worst with one core

They are so janky that you have to have them as a splash

Livestream at twitch slash dodgepong

(don't know how to post the link without Veeky Forums thinking it's spam)

I checked, its streaming some guys over and over again.

Looks live to me, but I've not watched it for particularly long.

It's live but nothing interesting it happening. Unless you count a disembodied female voice as exciting.

Im sure making the clan whose main feature is being different less different wont piss off its fans and negativity affect the game at all

All the clans are different from one another. Unicorn's differences are often superficial and serve no purpose. Meishodo for example, has no appreciable distinction from typical magic. It's all in the fluff.

It's also not like they're going to remove meishodo entirely. If it gets banned, that's a recipe for conflict. If it gets shared, most clans are incapable of using it anyway.

How are they superficial, and how do they serve no purpose?

>Meishodo not different enough

Play the rpg with a proper ST and come again.

What about crane/scorp seems really good to you? Getting like 3 false edicts for infinite event denial?

>B-b-but they cast spells slightly differently!

All the clans do. All clans cast spells with gimmicks. The Soshi cast spells wordlessly, which is a terrifying prospect if you think about it. The Kitsu's magic might technically be necromancy. Unicorn's gimmick is that it's just gaijin magic (that shares design space in 4e with not only the Asahina, but is also very similar to the Agasha and Tamori) which everyone is somehow okay with for no real reason, despite the setting's rampant xenophobia.

I'm glad the old fluff's inconsistencies are being confronted, as it's giving verisimilitude to the setting.

>Unless you count a disembodied female voice as exciting.

>He's never gotten off the Enterprise computer
God what kind of deviant are you

Yeah given how powerful events are in several other clans, the Crane have some native options and Scorpion open even more up. Attachments and characters themselves still retain value but it denies one of the fruitful avenues of game shaping to them.

GAMES STARTING BOYYYYYS

What's the matchup?

Phoenix (Keeper/Void) vs Scorp (?/Earth)

There somewhere the winnings will ve tracked? I'm real curious to see how this finally looks in player hands at an event

TO's voice keeps cracking

Where's it being streamed, the official livestream or the twitch link?

dodgepong on Twitch is the only one I know of

The Phoenix player is teaching the Scorpion player wrong about splash cards

Yeah he's misremembering a mechanic from the old game. Surely the coming rounds will involve competent players... surely.

Didn't they get an hour to read the rules before this?

Good guy camera guy

Its a big rulebook, and neither of them have played the game prior, so mistakes are to be expected

why is the phoenix player such a chunky daddy

>Its a big rulebook

It's 20 pages

Still, it's a pretty complex game. There's a lot to get wrong. I'm surprised there have been so few mistakes. Their playing slow as hell, but this is probably the first time they've ever seen the cards.

What's your point? What does every clan having unique spells have to do with meishodo not being "different enough," when it seems clear that it is different, just like every other clan-specific school of spells.

And you listed the reasons why people would be okay, if a little weary, of meishodo, because of its similarities to shit people already did and continue to do.

>And you listed the reasons why people would be okay, if a little weary, of meishodo, because of its similarities to shit people already did and continue to do.

No, there are gigantic fluff reasons why Meishodo should be treated with heavy suspicion. It's gaijin magic that doesn't use the Kami. This is important because, while the other clans have gimmicks, they still all operate off of the same fundamental principals: you pray to the elemental spirits and they cast spells for you. But let's turn it around. Justify to me why the Unicorn should be allowed to continue to use Meishodo despite its gaijin origins, unscathed.

The present guys on the twitch seem more capable than the last set.

They've already been through one game and get the general idea now.

Anyone got a recap/VoD of the Kiku ceremony? It happened at fucking 2am here in aussie land.

its on their facebook page

Crab (Keeper/Earth) v Scorp (Keeper/Air) on stream

Dishonor doesn't hit Crab as hard as others, they might have an advantage. Especially if the guy gets one of their good defensive effects on the table early

MIKE
MIKE
MIKE
MIKE

Scorp cheating... kek

A true Scorpion if I ever saw one

MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKE

>pulling a non-clan 'way of'
>on stream

JOHN JOHN JOHN JOHN

youtube.com/watch?v=dxmpZBuiuf4

Which Mike? Last name? We have a local Scorpion player named Mike who cheats outrageously, and he's at GenCon.

Damn. Not him.

What exactly did Not-My-Mike do?

He misplayed a card's effect. Apparently this shit for that card has been going on all day. People need to read their fucking cards better.

This is why having tournaments immediately as the players get the cards is a bad idea.

Are those steel feathers?

[ACTIVATE IT]

Not an excuse. Cheating is cheating, and I hope FFG bans him for life.

If they are, that's honestly not too bad an idea for head decorations. Tame compared to some real ones, really.

They look like spear or dagger blades to me.

Dragon (Keeper/Fire) vs Crab (Keeper/Earth) on stream

RIP Unicorn, hopefully somebody played it today.

Playing gaijin...

I think that was the first match we've seen that actually had a winner in normal game terms rather than time running out.

I think the last one did too, but they came close

>all these crab
> no fucking Lion or Unicorn on stream ever

Welp looks like Crab determine all our story for the next year or so

>comparing a 30 card singleton format to a 40 card playset format
>comparing a choose your own role card format to a set role card format
>comparing a playerbase that even the best is basically a novice to the game to a stable and solved metagame
>implying that people who enjoy playing crab somehow fit cleanly into a box of like minded individuals who will always vote along party lines when there's no incentive to whatsoever.

Half the guys who are 4-0 right now have been practicing on TTS for months and made the mod in the fucking first place. 8/10 bait since I replied

Probably just until November when we get to the first big 40-card tournament.

You didn't refute a single one of my points. Stay scrubby.

lrn2read

>comparing a playerbase that even the best is basically a novice to the game to a stable and solved metagame

I literally just said that half of the 4-0 guys are TTS veterans.

1) This 30 card deck format isn't the format that following competitive events will be using. Saying Crab is strong in 30 cards is like saying Green is strong in EDH. True, but ultimately doesn't prove anything about other formats.
2) "TTS Veteterns" have been playing in a small pond the last few months. Yes, they're more familiar with the cards than other people, but they are by no means anywhere near as good as they potentially can be. We have yet to see how metagames will de

I stopped typing because you're obviously too fucking stupid to be worth the effort

I think he's implying that even having practiced for months is equivalent to being a novice. Depends on your definition of "novice" I guess.

The game is still in its infancy, and people are still getting a feel for things - even those with massive TTS experience.

Look how long it took post launch for things like Sligh in magic or Anatomy of an Anarach in netrunner. It'll take a while for the community to really grok the game.

Hell, I've heard several good comments about Wandering Ronin on the stream, and the L5R Discord is really down on that card

Crane (Seeker(??)/Air) vs Scorp (Seeker/Air) on stream

I've seen the stream saying some really dumb things. A moment ago they where talking about how Assassination shouldn't be usable in conflicts, or how it would wreck Hisada(?).

Has there been any cranes on stream yet?

confirmed on stream:
the scorp player who went 4-0 so far still doesn't know how to mulligan.

I wouldn't either, too used to mulliganing being shuffling back your whole hand, not poker-style replacing however many cards you want.

I'm kind of pulling for the Scorpion guy, it must sting to be on the edge of making Hatomoto and look like you might not get it.

The Crane is a full province ahead and given the slow play from the Scorp this is 100% gonna go to time.

Would Crane guy also make Hatomoto?

yes, whoever wins this gets hatamoto

Yes. It's Swiss. Both of these men are 4-0. There will be 22 Hatamoto unless something incredibly weird happened.

>they just called time
>barely moved an inch since the last round
>crane is a full province ahead with the favor

christ.