Is Chaotic Neutral the saving grace of the alignment system?

Is Chaotic Neutral the saving grace of the alignment system?

>Chaotic Neutral done wrong
"lolsorandomxd" fucker who does what he wants and is justified because he's chaotic

>Chaotic Neutral done right
"Muh Freedoms" fucker who values freedom over everything else and is actively trying to disregard all order due to an anarchist/ancap philosophy

>ancap
>ever right

>"Muh Freedoms" fucker who values freedom over everything else and is actively trying to disregard all order due to an anarchist/ancap philosophy

Played a Young-Barbarian with a thing against slavery,
Like that character, didn't feel like I had to destroy society just free it from what I consider a bad habit.

Who
/generallygoodpersonbutdogmatictothepointofbeingtyrantmaterial/
here?

Sure why not

he could pass as Chaotic good though

>Done right
>Ancap
The surest way to spot an underage poster.

I'm a LN man myself. The law is the law and must be followed whether it benefits the common man or not. The system must be changed from within, etc.

it's the only way to Chaotic Neutral

>When you keep the tax collector hostage because taxation is a violation of the NAP and you use the ransom to bribe the entire Town Watch into joining your private military to overthrow the local government

Lawful Neutral > Lawful evil > the rest > chaotic neutral

Alignment, like other rules systems, are contrivances that frame the game well.

Creativity springs from restrictions--not a lack of structure. Lack of structure is just ill-defined muck.

Alignment is wildly open to interpretation, and allows players a framework from which to build and define their characters. If you're incapable of using it as a tool and see it only as a restriction, the problem isn't about alignment--it's about your lack of imagination.

I like to think Alignment doesn't reflect their nature as much as their personal philosophy.

Lawful Good believes that one should be morally sound and that the order should be maintained. Evil alignments believe their own personal gains are more important than any lofty "morality." Chaotic Neutral believes that Freedom is the best virtue of all and that anything that restricts it is inexcusable while True Neutral is the one that believes they can do what they want without caring about its implications.

>Creativity springs from restrictions--not a lack of structure. Lack of structure is just ill-defined muck. Alignment is wildly open to interpretation

this so much. a Neutral character could be a character that uses evil methods to do good (the necromancer that fights to protect) or one that does good for evil means (frees a bunch of slaves so that they will die as free men). Motivation plays a HUGE part of good roleplay.

I like that way, too. For instance: I like priests of evil powers who are perfectly decent people. Kind, loving and giving. But hey: he serves the god of thieves. He's not out to rob you. He just fundamentally doesn't believe that "property" exists. He's law abiding because town guard exists, but he still stands on a podium on Tyrday and lectures his congregation about the lack of mortal rights to ownership.

But I also like it as a descriptor for the non-philosophical. Sure: the above guy is chaotic evil philosophically. But the orc is chaotic evil 'cuz he's just too stupid to plan ahead or have empathy.

>He's not out to rob you. He just fundamentally doesn't believe that "property" exists.
>Sure, the above guy is chaotic evil philosophically
He sounds more chaotic neutral to me. Which is fine, priests can be one alignment shift away from the god they worship.

Neutral good or go home

We could build it out and spin it either way, though. Which is really the point. Take a structure, build around it. It's a framework that's handy for hanging things on that works well in high fantasy.

e.g. Luffy from One Piece

I'm most merciful of the men, however certain standards must be maintained.

>9 alignments instead of 5 or 3
gosh doc, you must be some kind of RETARD!