media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread

Warlocks and clerics, how is your relationship with your patron?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/gnXBeQwmmrc
coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/07/monster-menu-all-part-1-eating-ad.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Aasimar Light Cleric here.

I basically get all my powers through the might of unbridled nepotism

Why do people consider Arcane Trickster subpar?

Other than Unearthed Arcana, what other official WotC material can I use?

Is the far right wearing that virgin-killer sweater?

>clerics, how is your relationship with your patron?
Last time I suggested that I could play a Cleric as a sort of mercenary, who does work for a god in exchange for divine power with both deity and cleric considering that to be a fair deal, I got told to just play a Warlock.

I've never played a Cleric. I like the mechanics, but I don't like the flavour. I can't imagine worshipping someone, and I don't like the idea that all my decisions are made by a powerful NPC the GM controls. It'd be like making a character to be Elminister's whipping boy.

Reposting from Old thread:

So I had an idea for some 5e homebrew as a person who's played 5th edition so much and is getting tired of the standard classes.
In 3.5e it felt like there was so much customization that no 2 characters were really the same. Backgrounds/Race/Class/Archetypes add a lot of potential variation but the problem is that backgrounds and race are chosen at 1st level and archetypes are chosen at 3rd level and for the rest of the game you're just along for the ride with no customization to speak of besides feats.
Which brings me to my second point: Feats suck.
What if characters could select other classes class features instead of feats whenever they got an ability score improvement. Prerequisites would include the level of the class feature and the multiclass requirement for the class they're borrowing from.

Would you play in a game that adopted this homebrew? What are the positives and negatives of taking class features as feats in relation of balance and customization?

What are the best gishes for being in the thick of it? Besides paladin and ek

That's a nice sweater, but why is she wearing it backwards?

Valor Bard

Battlemaster Fighter.

Stone sorc

Bladelock
Stone Sorc

Yeah, I'd give it a shot. Lots of min maxing potential though.

Stone sorcerer can't be stressed enough here

Are Bladelocks actually good? Don't think the DAM is allowing UA.

Would you guys MC or just go all levels of bard/lock?

bladesinger
hexblade bladelock is pretty good

A lot of their bonuses aren't useful for high magic/fantasy campaigns. They really only shine in urban campaigns

>I basically get all my powers through the might of unbridled nepotism

So... you're a Democrat?

>Bard/Lock
>quotes posts about Bard and Fighter

If i could use UA i was already set on hexblade, or stone sorcerer. I've heard mixed things about regular bladelocks

Whoops, I'm retarded.

Regular bladelocks are good for multiclassing into paladin, but otherwise you're better off spamming eldritch meme as a warlock.

regular bladelock suck for anything not multiclass, tell your DM to allow the fucking bladelock UA because it makes them usable
Nothing in it's OP if I remember right, it's just flat "GOOD"
also if you go bladelock, still grab Eldritch Blast so you can have a reliable long range option

Well, I am self righteous whitey with a savior complex, obscenely privilege, out of touch and drop explosives at hairs trigger, so yeah...

he has sold it like 3 times

>Sell soul 3 times
>Character dies
>Battle between a GOO, a Fiend, and an Archfey while the normal citizens are stuck in the middle
Could be a fun plot idea

On the other hand, I'm also a white evangelical arms nut who wants to make the forgotten realms great again

>party tracks a group of smugglers to the docks at night
>they're loading some dangerous goods onto a boat that the party has been hired to stop
>group gets into position to jump them
>paladin whips out his gun and fires on a smuggler
>Are you sure you want to do that?
>yeah, it's loud, but they're all going to swarm us anyway
>It's murder, is what I was getting at.
>we kill bandits all the time
>Most of these smugglers don't even have weapons.
>they're breaking the law
>So is vigilante murder. There is a town guard. It's possible they would investigate gunfire in the dead of night.
>we'll be fine
So the Paladin's in jail now for shooting several guys dead over their illegal movement of crates, then scuffling with the town guard who came to check it out. Codes were a mistake.

>bad playing of codes was a mistake

So what's the deal with Warlocks this edition?
Are they supposed to be casters or martials who can cast spells? I'm asking because I want to make one but I 'm not sure if it's worth it especially since at max level they can only cast 4 spells before needing to take a short rest.

• Put it in your sleeve and shake someone's hand. Oh my, you pulled my hand off! The ol' fake hand gag!
• When you need to flip the bird three times simultaneously.
• To complete your Addams Family cosplay.
• Getting at those hard-to-reach itches on your back.
• Masturbation. It's "The Stranger."

Archery Rangers whose bow and arrows have been replaced with a purple beam. They have limited spellcasting and do some utility shit to get around and sniff stuff out, but their primary purpose is to deal ranged damage.

Wait till you find out who the president is my man

Hence the Eldritch blast spam meme. Use 4 spells and then you're stuck shooting lasers, unless you're gishing. I play them as a full caster, using my spell slots for utility (or for specific damage aapplication like aoe) and shooting lasers otherwise.

You're thinking of John Constantine.

Why does everyone say Warlock magic is purple

They're casters who get shortness of breath after being awoke for 60 seconds straight. In fact, best make your warlock narcoleptic.

Wanna spam a cantrip that can 1d10+1d6+5 force damage 4 times while pushing all hit targets 10 feet away? Want to do anything else? A different class is probably better at it.

Dangerous Habits was a fantastic Hellblazer arc

The "dark magic" archetype using purple. Personally I'd change the lasers color based on the patron, or just white

Because that's the color of eldritch juice.

Cause purple is the pimpest color and Warlocks are pimp as fuck, nigga.

>Take the haunted one background because it seems like it would be fun to have something slowly making my character go mad unless I find a way to get rid of it
>Tell the DM this
>DM makes it so it's a 1/2 challenge shadow that we kill in the first session
o-oh

Other products put out by WoTC?

The free elemental evils PDF filled with races and spells.
Sword Coast Adventurers Guide
The various player's options in each of the hard cover adventures?
Content hidden in various Adventurers League PDFs which you could buy off the DMs Guild?
The Plane Shift PDF articles that WoTC's MtG team put out to cross the streams with D&D filled with races, subsystems, backgrounds, and subclass options?

And third party there is a robust selection of independently produced content on the DMs Guild online marketplace.

Gotta roleplay the madness yourself, making sure that you tell your DM if you're thinking that your character will lash out at other PCs

no, Dr Strange has sold his soul on multiple occasions, not just good ol' Conjob

you know what you got to do.

Dial the paranoia up to 11. The shadow was actually your last anchor to sanity

My warlock barrister wore purple courtiers clothes, for he presented himself as a man or note and a person of means.

Shit is pimp.

Why do bows scale with dex and not strength?

Sounds like a white Obama.

Lefties really can't meme.

I wonder how long it took Trump to clean the smell of fried chicken, crack cocaine, and nigger shit out of the White House carpet.

Accuracy

DEX measures hand-eye coordination and accuracy. Realistically maybe STR would allow you to use more powerful bows or something, but D&D is not a game for fiddly realism and 5e least of all.

To facilitate dedicated ranged characters as something useful in every fight, not just when you can cheese and kite things around.
Also, because Dex wasn't good enough yet. FUCKERS.

Make it scale off Strength if you want. Doesn't break anything. Dex characters have access to a 1d8 one-hander so whatever.

Scan of this when?

You're trying too hard

>Dangerous Habit
OG Hellblazer was the fucking bomb.

>gencon weekend but none of us could make time/buy tickets
>at least our weekly session is still on
>DM group texts everyone saying he won a single four-day pass and is going to be in indy all weekend

>tfw no game and no convention

He bought if off ebay and doesn't want to admit he paid quadruple the normal price.

How can i make a Witcher type character without using Homebrew or UA?

>cunning action dash
>have 80 feet of movement
>rapier attack
>have another 50 feet of movement to get out of enemy movement range or take cover
So is this feat standard for all rogues?

Hilarious.

Hey want to see something else funny?

youtu.be/gnXBeQwmmrc

It's standard on anyone who wants to be a cheeky git instead of a GWM/PAM cookiecutter.

even the regular tickets were quadruple the normal price, they're milking the fuck out of the 50th anniversary

>engaging an anonymous keyboard warrior instead of ignoring and reporting

Firstly, anything based on being a non-caster that benefits from a very select amount of casting is going to be tricky to get full value from, especially in the sort of naive white room analysis that corrupts internet message boards. In game terms, it suffers from a high skill floor but compensates with a high skill ceiling and has only situational usefulness.

Secondly, all Rogues are heavily, heavily DM-dependent. With few exceptions you're exactly as good as the DM thinks you should be at the time which further frustrates discussing the class in anything resembling a fair matter.

Pick champion fighter and kill monsters for gold.

Swashbuckler, Some background with the alchemist option, alchemy kit, and a drinking problem. Alternatively maybe ranger.

Attack of Opportunity bro. Safer to shoot off double crossbows from a distance

>When you make a melee attack against a creature, you don't provoke opportunity attacks from that creature
>whether you hit or not
sounds plenty safe to me, even something that a range character would like so they can get out of dodge while attacking

Sorry I meant from other creatures potentially, though with enough movement you could approach from proper angles to avoid that

Eldritch knight with a greatsword. For the generic Geralt meme.

They're full casters, but they use the same resource spending rhythm as martials. If "cantrip-based Battle Master" is what you're after then they're absolutely perfect and they make an excellent dip for a multi-class character. If it's not feeling suspiciously martial-y you're doing it wrong.

Current game:
>takes place in Faerun, in the walled city of whatever
>party is hodgepodge mess
>lizardfolk fighter who was taken from his far away homeland as a slave alongside his mate, fighting to save her and return home
>kenku bard on a quest to discover the cure to his people's curse and return their creativity
>drow cleric trying to find a place to settle her people in the above world
>GM starts us off in three separate places
Will it work out?

Standard for anyone who's keen on melee, but doesn't have the health or armor to stay in reach and take a beating.

jesus, why am I seeing this every other 3 threads?

/v/ players with shitty taste in vidya

>GM starts us off in three separate places
He better have a really good plan for putting you all together. also the drow is retarded, have they heard of the SUN

'Force' used to be the damage type associated with amethyst and purple dragons and it backwashed.

Lots of people like Witchers

Made a Sorlock originally for spell point cheese but went for backstory and "flavor". He's a shadow sorcerer/he blade warlock. I took the Gourmand feat so I could support the team and for backstory. His patron is a blade is called Flayvar (pronounced like flavor) and it only chooses people who want to cook what they kill. His pactblade is a greatsword/meat cleaver and he uses the UA invocation so he attacks/damages with charisma when using the blade. The joke is that the patron is playing a Highlander game with other patrons mixed with food wars. He talks/acts like Guy Fieri mixed with Ainsley Harriot and my character seems to be currying his favor. Sooner or later I'll have to fight the other bladelocks he partnered with in his own pocket dimension "Flayvar Town".

>have they heard of the SUN
Maybe the drow likes the pain? Wouldn't be far-fetched.

This may happen in other systems but 5e has tight enough mechanics so that even unoptimized and optimized characters are on relatively even footing.

That's fucking retarded, but I love it.

The problem isn't that Arcane Trickster is subpar. The problem is that Rogue/Wizard is simply better. Most of the power of the Rogue archetype is baked into the core class and most of the archetypes fluctuate around the same level with Swashbuckler being the best mechanically (Thief is better at high levels, but almost no one plays high level campaigns).

Familiar + Help pretty much gives you the benefit of Rakish Audacity (without the Initiative bonus), if you really want Panache you can just take the Friends cantrip.

So really you're losing out on Fancy Footwork, which is good, but not amazing since dual wielding is bad in general.

That's why she's searching: to find a place free from the tyranny of the sun. Or whatever. The alignments are CN all around but nobody's been a murderhobo yet. The lizard guy is just willing to do whatever it takes to save his wife even if bystanders get hurt, the kenku is CN because most of his people are and his motivation is inherently selfish with a mask of altruism, and the draw truly cares about her people, even the cruel and vicious ones.

You might like this then: coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/07/monster-menu-all-part-1-eating-ad.html

>Playing rogue has that +7 investigation and sleight of hand at level 1
>Use investigation to find loot and sleight of hand to pocket it for myself

>stuck with DMing 5e so I can't play a swashbuckler

I just want high seas adventure but I have no time to play a 4e campaign, dm a 5e campaign, and join a 5e game. At least my 4e dm has talked about possibly switching to 5e once this campaign is over which I also don't want to happen because I want to play an Eladrin knight/swordmage multiclass

>playing a Monk
>Got boots of striding and springing
>just got a Belt of Hill Giant Strength

What kinds of silly shit can I do with my newfound near-50 foot vertical jump?

>Grapple enemy
>Jump 50 feet straight up
>Pile drive them for 5d6 damage (without using the attack action

Also would you say Tavern Brawler and Brawny are worthwhile so I can Donkey Kong enemies with barrels and boulders and shit?

Are there any notable benefits or downsides to playing a DEX paladin over STR or is it just another flavor?

hey so how big of a faux pas is it to entirely prefer published campaigns over homebrew?

>be in an urban campaign
>get into a fight with some gang
>grab one, jump 50 feet
>place them on the top of a building
>repeat so your party has to fight as few enemies as possible

>Roll 3 1s in a row in combat.
>Joke about going home if I get a fourth 1 in a row.
>I get a 2 instead.
My paladins god has clearly forsaken him.

DEX paladin=tank paladin. Rapier and shield+shield master and Defensive Duelist make you rather hard to hit.

STR paladin is "shit out damage" paladin with GWM+PAM memes.

Which one is better will likely depend on party layout.

If you follow the multi class rules then you'll be unable to multi class until your strength is 13.