The rules to this game make no sense to me at all. Can anyone help explain to me how this game works?

The rules to this game make no sense to me at all. Can anyone help explain to me how this game works?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/WXJxQ0NbFtk
actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/category/systems/misc/fiasco/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

In a nutshell, off the top of my head:
>dice rolled at beginning
>players claim dice
>dice used to introduce compromising/funny situations
>everyone has a gay ol' time

Ozark feels like it was made by a couple of guys playing this game.

God. Don`t.

It`s ruining a time you could be having a nice RPG session or a improv session.
Don`t play Fiasco, don`t mix them.

It's honestly a very simple system that just seems complex at the start.

>Roll all the dice you need
>Use them to figure out everyone's roles, items, goals, ect
>Everyone takes turns playing out a scene with themselves as the main character of that scene.
>At the end of the scene, the others give you either a success die or a failure die (as in, did your character get what you want or not, not whether you're winning or losing the game)
>Go through it until you're halfway through the dice, roll the rest to squeeze in the tilt that helps spice up the game, then continue playing until the rest of the die are given out.
>Once all the die are given and the story is effectively over, everyone rolls their own dice and subtracts the smallest number from the bigger number.
>The remaining number determines the quality of your characters ending.
>Play out those endings briefly[
Congrats, you played Fiasco. The rules seem complex but in practice it's simple and it works out fine. The only weird rule is when you keep your own dice or give them to others, and that you can really just ignore as long as no one is playing to try "winning" the game.

>The rules to this game make no sense to me at all.

Understandable seeing as the odds are you're a sperg, autist, or some other social defective.

>>Can anyone help explain to me how this game works?

Item #1 - Spegs, autists, etc. will be unable to comprehend the game or play it effectively. There are no stats, odds, rolls, or other mathematical equations to parse looking for break points.

Keep Item #1 in mind.

The game focuses on interacting with other human beings on a social level; see Item #1.. You each take turns telling a story while the others listen; see Item #1. You tell a story based off the story told just before your turn, meaning you had to understand the story; see Item #1. The listeners "rate" each story using empathy and an understanding of human nature; see Item #1.

Halfway through dice are finally rolled, but just to twist the story in progress which again requires empathy, an understanding of human nature, etc.; see Item #1. Stories are then told in turn again, dice are again awarded, and the dice you end up with help determine how the story end for your character. All of which requires empathy, and understanding of human nature, etc; see Item #1.

Explaining Fiasco to spergs, austists, and other similar social defectives is akin to describing color to the congenitally blind or music to the congenitally deaf.

You can't understand it because you are GENETICALLY PRECLUDED from understanding it. Find another game, one where you can focus on numbers instead of human behavior.

Fiasco is fine. But it's basically just improv acting. Not an RPG.

>wil Wheaton
but this video it's a great introduction to the game.

youtu.be/WXJxQ0NbFtk

If (You) weren't a sperg, you might understand that your entire post comes across as pointlessly smug and assholish, like an instance of pic related.
You barely explained anything, and instead just derided anyone who might ask for an explanation.

And I'd say it's a fair thing for OP to ask, Fiasco doesn't do a very good job of explaining itself.

Watch a video.

Seriously.

If you can handle shit like DND it's not a problem of the rules that pretty much laid out in entirety, or the almost too easy to read book. Your brain is simply refusing to think it might be that simple.

It is. That you'll like it or not, it works (but funnily enought it is the most dependent of the set... playset game there is).

>and don't listen to people who say it's not a RPG. They will not be able to explain why.

Found the sperg.

>>Fiasco doesn't do a very good job of explaining itself.

Yup, definitely a sperg. Fiasco is so simple that spergs refuse to believe the game's own rules. To them it simply must be harder than that.

>hurr durr gotcha

If Fiasco is so easy to understand, why does practically every group get hung up on how and when they're supposed to give away their dice?

actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/category/systems/misc/fiasco/

This is the best way to explain the game. The best way I can explain playing it, though? Pretend you're in a Coens Brother movie.

Because they overthink it. Either there's a speg or two in the group or they've all been playing RPGs with spergs for so long they're starting to think a little like them.

would this be recommended as a "gateway game" for getting others into RPGs?

Yes, this is a really good gateway game. If you know creative people who you think would be good for RPGs but are afraid that numbers and stats and harder to learn game mechanics would scare them off, luring them in with pure improv and roleplaying through Fiasco could be a great way to test the waters and see if they'd ever consider going further down the rabbit hole.

its a fucking improv game. did you expect to be able to min max your character in fiasco you fucking power gaming sperg?

>getting mad at things nobody said

One player shouts 'bang bang I shot you!'
Another players says 'nuh-uh! I was behind cover!'
A third says 'I really like Coen Brothers movies'.
Then they fuck off and play something actually fun.

It must be awful to have such awful friends.

the solution is to not play with autists and man-children user

It is an RPG, it's just one of them fancy new-style storytellin' role-playing games.

I see you've never played Fiasco. I mean, is an asshole, but your scenario is a perfect example of what he meant.

>clearly I haven't called him a sperg enough
>but I'm totally a sane and functioning adult

The closest thing to a "strategy" that you can have while playing Fiasco is to try to make your dice as homogeneous as possible, either all black or all white. That's it. No combat rules, no twenty-page-long list of weapons and weapon mods, none of that horseshit. It's not a tactical wargame; it's a framework for making up a fun story.

Since you never played Fiasco, I should inform you that you get to control what happens at the beginning of your scene or what happens at the end, but not both. So you can prevent bad things from happening to your character - half the time, in circumstances you didn't control, in a way that will probably come back to bite you at the end.

Depends on the person I suppose. I wouldn't recommend it. The only thing it has in common with RPGs is that you occasionally speak in character, and that there are dice present at the table.
By running it as an introduction to RPGs you run serious risk of getting people excited or turned off by aspects of the game that won't be in your regular games.

>make your dice as homogeneous as possible, either all black or all white

hehehehe

Well, duh.

>tough honestly thinking fiasco is "new" sounds pretty bizarre to me

kek

>usually I use grey and black dice, is that PC enough

It's RP at the very least.

Oh don't worry, he doesn't actually have friends.