What NON-Warhammer wargaming should I get into?

I'm lookin to drop some serious cash. Just not on Warhammer 40k.

What wargame do you play? What games are good? What games are worth it? What games are going to be actively played in the next decade?

I like scifi, fantasy, and weird stuff so anything goes. Regular sized figures are a plus, but larger or smaller would probably be okay.

try something normal
discover human awesomeness.

>What games are going to be actively played in the next decade?
Honestly, the only one I can think of is Song of Blades and Heroes and other games which don't have their own miniature lines.

I can't feel comfortable getting into GW games for fear of all my purchases being invalidated or changed at the drop of a hat. Will Primaris marines really render my other marines that I spent hours painting obsolete in 5 years? I just don't know. And that bothers me a lot.

It is more or less true with other wargames, but I can't think of anyone who is worse than GW right now in terms of instability.

Honestly, for true longevity, games like Song of Blades and Heroes and others like it are the longest lasting best bet.

Otherwise, there are plenty of other games which are all just fine. WarmaHordes, Infinity, Malifaux and the other big ones all play well enough and don't squat things every 2 minutes. The only trick is getting other people to play. Be sure to pick a game you like and buy enough for two people so you can entice people into playing.

Bolt Action is fun if you're looking for something historical-ish. 40k-style rules and movement, simultaneous turns, and you can always proxy your army as a Guard regiment and play 40k.

That's what I've had to do already with some other titles. Build decks or armies for two people so that people who refuse to buy into games can play and run my own little meta. It's tiresome, but fun. Not entirely fulfilling though.

Bushido pretty models has

Age of Sigmar

bump

Games I would recommend (played them all), that schould be around for the next years.

Infinity: Scifi Setting, low model count (10-20) for standard force with some variation, complex rules, requires lots of terrain
Kings of War: Fantasy, big regiments means high model count (~100+), typical rank&flank, clear rules,
Warmachine: Steampunk, mid model count (20-60) complex rules, very competitive
SAGA: historical fighting with vikings/irish/scots or crusades, mid model count (20-60), different ruleset with battleboards & special dice
Frostgrave: Fantasy Setting, low model count (10-20), campagin rules, requires lots of terrain, lot's of expansions, even single player mode possible
X-Wing: Star Wars setting, low model count (3-8),very simple rules, kinda power creep (need equipment card x, have to buy biggest ship of the faction)
Bolt Action: historical ww2, mid model count, simple rules

Age of sigmar: Turbo Fantasy Setting, high model count, very simple rules, GW - so quite expensive

Malifaux - low model count horror/steampunk/dark fantasy stuff - scenario based

Star Wars Legion !

If like SciFi, Infinity and Dropzone Commander are both great.
If you like weird stuff, Malifaux ist very good.
There's also generic games like Frostgrave, Dragon Rampant and Song of Blades and Heroes where you just build your warband however the fuck you want. This also works really well with Kings of War (which has a model line but nobody, not even the company producing it, requires you to use their stuff)

looks more like Soviet Eddie from Iron Maiden

I'd say this is not a test which is skirmish post apoc or infinity. I got the Walking Dead All Out War and I'm having a lot of fun with that which can be played solo as well if your friends arent into it

Not Armada? Xwing is like... done.

>Calls Malifaux a low model count game.

Cheeky. You might play with few models, but because of the 'choose your team after you know what scenario you're playing and with who' means most serious Malifaux players will have more models in their collection than you'd expect for a low model count game.

Army Men

And I'm serious. All you need is a d6, an spray panit can and as many army men figurines as you can get. Cheapest game imaginable, while just as enjoyable as anything else. Also super simple, which helps

low model count (on the table) I meant.
There is no such thing as low model count (collection) everyone knows that.