media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread

How did your party stumble upon their biggest hoard of treasure? What was guarding it and how did they kill it?

First for HAIL ASMODEUS

The DM gave our lvl 1 party of five his setting's equivalent of 5000gp and a bag of holding session 1. Shit wasn't even guarded yo.

HAIL!

The only treasure horde we really got in our last adventure we actually missed. We were trying to get to a town in the underdark and out of the gnoll cave, and we missed 4K in gold.

Needless to say, we're much more exploratory now.

That said, the DM HATES shopping, so gold is kinda meh outside buying equipment. I'll probably start hiring meat shields once we get en ough money.

Would it be interesting or idiotic to have a setting where spells create auras of an element around the caster and if anyone uses a spell/weapon of that element they get the advantage on attack? With opposites being disadvantage

I'm unsure how long I'd want them to linger, maybe only a turn or two

I'm stealing this straight from Tales of the Abyss but probably making the auras bigger.

>Person casts the cantrip, fire bolt
>Enemy wizard drops a fireball on them with advantage, hitting them and whoever was nearby

It would be very anime and dumb. If you're playing an anime game, go nuts.

>When your bf is called Amadeus
>He gets you to call him Asmodeus in bed sometimes

Is this a form of worship to him, or disrespecting him?

How the hell would fireball get advantage.

>drops fireball on them with advantage
>fireball with advantage

Fireball is a save though, so it wouldn't be super effective.

>NOT Jewish Banker funding all sorts of not nices
>100k in gold plus magic items
>Such is the high level life

But enemy caster dont roll for fireball. Having advantage does nothing at all.

just sounds like any mage is going to be in the spotlight one way or another.

would have to give other non-magic players some sort of shiny.

You roll damage twice and take the highest, duh

That'd be where magical weapons come into play, ideally

How do you guys get over player and character cross limitations?

One of my characters is very outspoken and a quick wit, but under pressure I personally stammer and stutter a lot, even when attempting to talk in-character. My dm then interprets my character as a stammering fool when he should be displaying confidence (EG, bluffing or negotiating)

Advantage only applies to d20s

might I suggest a neutral weapon that simply eats the FOFs and gets elemental benefits? Maybe it's made of specul metal.
>eats electricity
>advantage on next 2 attacks if enemy is wearing metal armor, enemy struck is no longer able to make reactions until their next turn

Likely do the same with spells, smaller bonuses unless the FOF grows from multiple spells, then start adding damage.

Ah bonuses for multiple turns seems a lot better than the initial crazy thought of multiple fields meaning just add more d20s to the advantage.

Though the second use would mean large gatherings of wizards would get near guaranteed spells if they coordinated

HAIL!

Sorc's can take it too, and this is an awesome idea, thanks!.

The special metal could simply be silver to give it more use outside of the normal resistance passing

Or maybe Mythril?

Notice the conditional advantage! that part is very important. You can't just throw around advantage all over the place otherwise two things will happen;

a) enemy uses FOFs to their advantage, every combat becomes a DPS/Initiative race because nobody ever misses
b) enemy does not use it, party never misses and attack and crits fly around everywhere.

Make smaller bonuses! Electricity costing reaction loss, maybe ice makes them have a -2 to hit because of shivering or something, perhaps fire heats metal cauterizing the wound partially taking half of the damage and removing it from max health pool until long rest.
Higher FOFs from growth could simply add small amounts of damage. (1d4 every 3rd level spell slot used to create the aura?)
I recommend utilizing the FOF to require a bonus action spent, however.
The possibilities are very open, maybe it's simply that certain metals are more susceptable to different elements? Perhaps Silver isn't as well suited as a weapon, but conducts all elements fantastically resulting in low physical but higher magical potential.

Thoughts on my magic grappler?

Does anybody have an example of what half armor might look like on a mount?

Was he lying, or are the designers just incompetent?

should have passed on "by popular demand" and got magic initiate for lightning lure, though I imagine you don't -need- it with 40 movement.
Also the name is wrong in either backstory or at the top of your sheet.

like full armor, only half as much.

Horse bikinis

I believe this is incompetence in both developers and DMs. Most DMs seem to fail in exploration/character interaction due to lack of preparedness or inability to improvise. If more mechanics were in place to complement these it may have made it easier for DMs to cope. Players are also partially the problem, but bad players gonna bad.
>"I bluff the guard. I rolled a 20. What do you mean how do I bluff him?"

Dont bother putting +'s in front of all your skills. Just put - in front of all the negative ones so you can read the double digit ones

Do the blacksmiths/armorers in your world sell +1 gear?

The longer I DM the more I agree that these items are considered gamebreaking for a reason.

When a players AC goes out of bounds of 90% of attacks or when a player can easily bypass the "resistance to non magic weapons".

>Do the blacksmiths/armorers in your world sell +1 gear?
No. The creation of magical weapons and armor is a lost art, any magic weapons and armor found in the world has been around for at least 500 years

That's automatically done by orcpub, I'll manually edit that later.

I like the backstory too much, and Magic Initiate doesn't fit.

I'm going to be completely honest, this character is basically entire built to give me the best chance at grappling a dragon in midair (using Enlarge to go from Medium to Large, thereby being able to grapple a Huge adult dragon). Grappling reduces all speeds to 0, which means the dragon can't fly while grappled. It starts falling and I ride my grappled dragon to earth like Dr. Strangelove's bomb where it takes a stupid amount of damage from the fall and dies instantly.

Non-magical +1 gear is the work of a true master. They have managed to make their materials into something stronger/sharper/better than what should be possible. As such these things tend to be works of art or even life long works for the smiths. Many would refuse to part with them for sentimental value. Those who do would ask for an immense amount of gold for such a thing.

As such they are even more rare than magical weapons which themselves are rare.

Remember, you're also going to take that damage too.

>When one of your players got 28AC
>With +1 Plate
>A randomly generated Defender
>And Shield as an EK

AC tanking is entirely counterable. Throw enough goblins/thugs/orcs and have them grapple. He'll lose an Athletics/Acrobatics check eventually, then get prone'd or restrained, and now you have advantage, which means eventually you'll get enough nat 20's to crit him to death.

rogue/barb is stronger imo, rage gives you advantage on skill checks -> advantage on athletics to grapple

To be honest, I'm pretty sure now that the Brawny feat is a thing Barbarian/Rogue doesn't hold the monopoly on grappler.

Hell a Minotaur Fighter with Brawny is probably going to do it better. They get ADV on Shoves always and can Grapple 2 people at once without giving up damage. Especially if they're an Eldritch Knight for things like Enlarge at higher levels.

Enlarge also gives advantage on athletics. Rage disallows any use of concentration magic.

>mfw people go entire campaign with never using the shove mechanic

If I have a Feather Fall effect on me, it doesn't decelerate me because I'm attached to the dragon, right? So I'll fall at its speed but take no damage because of Feather Fall.

So I can use Feather Fall to avoid that damage. Or it is Bludgeoning damage so if I can get some armor with Bludgeoning resistance I'll be good.

How does one character escape multiple grapples?
If a player is grappled by 3 orcs at once, does his action only let him contest 1 grapple, or can he contest all 3 at once?

Also, why would anyone just "contest" a grapple with their whole action when they could just use ONE of their ATTACKS to SHOVE the enemy out of reach, automatically ending the grapple?

Can't shove creatures 2 sizes bigger than you.
Best way to end multiple grapples is Thunderwave.

Just played my first session of a tabletop ever. My gnome wizard tripped and fell into a clearing with 40 cultists worshipping the moon, and they weren't happy. It was fun and I don't know why I waited so long to start playing.

contests one at a time
shoving is indeed superior.

Thinking of picking up Magic Initiate on my Battlemaster. Wizard spell list. Considering Poison Spray and Shocking Grasp for the cantrips and either Shield, Longstrider, or Charm Person.

Waste of a feat? Decent pick? Help me out here.

You know you can be a Minotaur barbarogue right?

Right. Feather fall specifies its activity quite clearly. Two separate effects. 60 feet per round falling rate and if you land before the spell ends, you takes no falling damage and can land on your feet. (and the spell ends)

Only DM rule 0 would hurt you.

It slows your descent. Theoretically as long as the creature isn't more than 60 feet up that will be fine, but any higher than that and it's going to fall faster than you will.

Longstrider is great, it doesn't require concentration which is very nice.

Shield will save you at least once

Cantrips are very tough to choose between but if you're a Battlemaster why do you need a melee spell? Just attack them instead. I take utility things like Light and Mage Hand.

D&D is not well designed to handle nuanced character interaction or exploration.

If the developers truly intended to handle social interaction and exploration in their creation of 5e, then they forgot about it pretty quickly.

Is my character actually falling though? They're grappling onto a dragon and the dragon is falling. So I think Feather Fall's speed reduction would get superseded by me holding on. Maybe make an Athletics check to see if I can hold on hard enough to overcome Feather Fall slowing me down?

action surge > rage at higher levels when you can get your advantage on athletics rolls from other sources

For what? Rage and good DEX saves? I'd rather better armour, attacks and more ASI. Plus the ability to get Maneuvers or Casting.

So you essentially want to be Los Tiburon?

Does ravenloft haves a pantheon?

1. You're falling
2. Flying creatures fall if their speed becomes 0
3. Your grapple reduces grappled creature speed to 0
4. Grappled Dragon thus falls normally
5. Fall speed is normally 580 ft per round
6. Slow fall speed is 60 ft per round
7. Difference in falling speed will force the Dragon away from you
8. Dragon would be no longer grappled
9. Level 2 spell Earthbind: Choose one creature you can see within range(300 ft). Yellow strips of magical energy loop around the creature. The target must succeed on a Strength saving throw or its flying speed (if any) is reduced to 0 feet for the spell's duration. An airborne creature affected by this spell descends at 60 feet per round until it reaches the ground or the spell ends.
10. Wizards win again.

>Tfw your party will finally meet the bbeg tomorrow
>Tfw they will finally find out that they are basically fighting Hexxus from fern gully

I really hope they take this positively and dont get pissed.

Not really, there's only the Morninglord (said to refer to Lathander) and Mother Night (who may be Shar, the Raven Queen etc). These two might not even exist, the Dark Powers wouldn't allow a pantheon to spring up.

How do we fix heavy and medium armor? My PCs all max Dex and have higher AC then most of my paladins. I'm thinking of bumping up DR of medium armor to 3 and heavy armor to 4 or 5 to make it more valuable thoughts?

Might actually be a good idea. Not sure how that might affect balance but it's worth considering.

That's a great greentext that I hadn't read before coming up with this, I swear.

>An airborne creature affected by this spell descends at 60 feet per round until it reaches the ground or the spell ends.

That's faggot shit compared to

>Grapple dragon in midair
>It's forced to divebomb the earth and it's skull shatters on impact

Also based on what RAW is falling speed 580 feet per round? That's not how acceleration, air resistance, and terminal velocities work, which is why they just call it (x/10)d6, where x is the feet you fall.

>max DEX and higher AC than plate

wat

light
12+(dex) = 17 max
medium
15+(dex max 2) = 17 max
plate

uuuuu wut

Do Favored Soul sorcerers get access to cleric spell scrolls?

so how does one plays a paladin or cleric in ravenloft?

Okay so I'm running SKT and a cleric just controlled water, part water option, to capsize the giant ship. I let it go because I couldn't think of any counter reasoning for it not being allowed and not having the effect that it did.
Is control water really that powerful? That just destroys any ship basically. It's only 4th level as well. How would a ship even begin to counter that?

Stop giving PC's boosts to their max stats.

Give out more +1/2/3 medium and heavy armors, it's not like the great smiths of yore would spend their time making the best studded leather imagineable. All those dwarves wanted to make kickass full plate.

>Also based on what RAW is falling speed 580 feet per round? That's not how acceleration, air resistance, and terminal velocities work, which is why they just call it (x/10)d6, where x is the feet you fall.

I didn't make the number up. Number comes from calculation and some dev tweet. essentially 580 ft per round is accurate enough that you hit the ground in a single round in almost any scenario.

Yeah, it's been a bit irritating that "my superior speed should be able to beat him" PCs can run circles around enemies and not get hit while the big ass people in full and have plate can't do shit.

However, the question is if the DR is too much, or too little? I'm considering giving the reduction on mostly everything except for like lightning.

Okay, take 1 level in fighter or ranger. Or be a sorcerer plus have a shield.

12 or 13 +5 max Dex + 1 for defensive +2 for shield +1 for fighting defensively=21-22 AC. That is assuming they do not have +1 armor.
Most characters have rolled 18 and stuff in Dex and then pump it up with ABI and feats. They haven't even gotten +1 armors

I'm just trying to figure out how to make heavy armor worth it, no one really cares for Str and Heavier armor when Dex functions as both their attack and their AC

No one considers +1 weapons and armor to be gamebreaking...

>implying there's any definition in 5e in what fall speed is

Wanna run this for a group that might not last, so I don't wanna set up a whole campaign for them.

Is it any good, or is there a better premade that starts at 1 and can go for a long time?

I'd just run LMoP and see if the group can function in that. If they can, you can run just about anything with a party of level 5s.

If paladins are immune to disease, does that mean they are immune to poisons?
If they're immune to poisons, does that make them immune to poison damage?

It's okay. It's really bare bones in terms of giant lore imo, but it's okay outside of that.

no

>Most characters have rolled 18 and stuff in Dex
detected the faggotroni
probability to roll 18 is very low. you shouldn't be letting them roll anyway.

>12 or 13 +5 max Dex + 1 for defensive +2 for shield +1 for fighting defensively=21-22 AC. That is assuming they do not have +1 armor.
18 plate, +1 defensive, +2 for shield is 22 AC. It's the same thing.

>nobody cares for STR
mob grapple melee DEXmonkeys.

>dev tweets are now RAW

Does it say they're immune to poisons?

Don't be a retard.

Control Water affects an area that does not move from its location specified in the original casting. If the ship is moving, the area affected by the spell will quickly move behind the ship/

Depends on the party. I don't ever do +1 armor or shields, but I tend to let players shuffle around towns for +1 weapons. Resistance to nonmagical weapons doesn't even apply to players who are using magic to begin with, so I find it unfun for players who just do half damage just because they wanted to play a melee class. If I wanted to challenge them despite giving them access to +1 weapons, I'd just throw things resistant to piercing or slashing.

You're right user. Reason why so many 18s is the way everyone rolls dice. I agreed on a method that the players all really liked and can usually manage an 18 quite easily. Maybe I'll start doing point by from now on.

>mob grapple melee DEXmonkeys.
Did this proved to be incredibly effective, will do in the future.

The question is should I still buff heavy and medium armor to make them more desirable in combat with DR?

He was in the water. Not moving.
I'm just trying to think how a ship would even counter this other than having their own druid or cleric with control water.
Counterspell doesn't even have the range and you have to see them. Dispel magic wouldn't end the effect fast enough.
How would ships even begin to stop this?

>Resistance to nonmagical weapons doesn't even apply to players who are using magic to begin with, so I find it unfun for players who just do half damage just because they wanted to play a melee class.

Fair point. Although I find it thematically aggrieving that say a gargoyle or any kind of beast that has resistances can just be bypassed by a +1 sword.

Now a truly magic sword like Flametongue I can understand.

>I agreed on a method that the players all really liked and can usually manage an 18 quite easily.
What the fuck is the method? 5d6 drop 2? 4d6 capped at 18? Regardless you're pretty stupid for allowing a roll method any higher than 4d6 drop 1

By Popular Demand is a background feature, meant almost entirely for fluff. Magic Initiate is a feat, which is something that gives you crunch benefits.

You can't swap one for another.

That's why it kinda depends on the party. In some cases I tend to make shit up a lot when it comes to magic items for lower tier characters. A bow that isn't considered a +1 bow magic weapon, but it's special in having +1 to attack rolls.

Or just toss a gargoyle at the party as a thing standing between them and a treasure of their first magic item. Harder for later level characters, I guess.

It was 4d6 drop 1

>The question is should I still buff heavy and medium armor to make them more desirable in combat with DR?

no. the game doesn't need to be slowed down for your attempt at balancing. Everyone will reach the same AC range regardless of being STR or DEX or whatever.

Is there a list of oneshot adventures somewhere?

I'm looking for material for my players to run and have a change to DM.

>A bow that isn't considered a +1 bow magic weapon, but it's special in having +1 to attack rolls.

I implemented that as well, a +1 sword is just extra sharp because of its masterwork property.

But then the players say shit like

>but having +1 makes it a magic weapon
>its in the magic item list

That method doesn't make 18s THAT common... you still have less than a 10% chance to roll a single 18 in six rolls

What is a good way to lure players into barovia?

"Fuck you, you wake up in Barovia"

The call to adventure! We just had an old crone offer us an invitation at a bar at we fuckin went for it.

how to make any magic weapon awesome even if it's just a "magic weapon for purposes of bypassing resistance"

make it out of a crazy material, unnaturally hard
ex: bone, wood, glass, etc.
make it a flashlight
It does something weird but completely harmless
ex: bring it up to your ear you can hear it whisper food recipes, the hilt has a mouth that will eats stray bugs, it can be folded but always maintains its shape in combat, etc.
Give it a name ex: The Zorkdizzler, Da'Ru'de the Storm, First Oath, F'lafinad, "Escape from Alcatraz", etc.

Give them a picture of the magic weapon.

Works for any kind of game. High RP, hack'n'slash, whatever. Even Dick's in a investigative crime drama often have a unique and named "piece".

Disease is viruses/bacteria, poisons are chemicals. Not the same thing.