That doesn't seem inherently bad

they're going in all at once as a group
5x the traffic = 5x the rolls to fail and get the guards sus about the area

>Player tries something
>It isn't what the GM planned for
>"It doesn't work"

Only in bad systems.

It's really more of a GM call to say how many times they need to roll

Run your own game if you want to dictate what works and what doesn't, you lazy sack of shit.
If you have a problem with """railroading""" and dislike being unable to pull solutions out of your ass, go run your own campaign where the players can try whatever they want and it always works.

You make a lot of assumptions. I usually run games in my group. When I was a newer, and shittier GM I always had an idea in my head about how things should go and if players deviated from it roadblocks were established.

Now I'm a better GM and I understand that the players are more involved in your game if you let them do more of what interests them. And before you pull another strawman out of your ass: No. That doesn't mean you have to entertain every autistic fantasy players come up with. It just means if players try something and it makes sense then it should work, or at least have a chance of working.

I don't really need you to say anything else to know the following:
1. You are shit DM.
2. You've been informed of this fact before
3. You are extraordinarily bitter about it.

>players make guesses based on information that's known to be incomplete
>guess is wrong
>game stalls FOR FORTY FUCKING MINUTES DUE TO ARGUING BECAUSE THE FUCKING GENIUS CAN'T ACCEPT THAT THEY'RE NOT IN FACT OMNISCIENT

maximum lel

Pretty much, had same thing going here.

>Left in a sandbox WHFRP
>PC's: So, what do we do?
>GM: I dunno, you can do whatever you want. You have free choice.
>PC's: Alright, let us then use our skills to start a smithy and get some coin to our name.
>GM: You can't, also you now see orc warband coming. Roll initiative.

And so on. At least, untill we got to change our seats and he became a player instead.
He now feels free to bitch to me that I'm not giving his character enough personal plot hooks to expand upon his background story.

>Only in bad systems
No, it's way harder to sneak as a group irl. If anyone makes a noise or moves at the wrong time, then they have a chance of fucking it up. I have no idea why you think that more people wouldn't require each to successfully avoid detection.

>Try something
>It fails
>out of habbit say "fuck"
>Gm overreacts

a few guys who play at my lgs start shaking in their boots when someone swears. Good stuff
>tfw mormons play traditional games

Did he overreact because he's a prude, or because he misjudged how upset you were and thought you were freaking out?
I probably say fuck almost every roll. Failure or success just determines if it's a fuck or a fuck yes.

Maybe its a bit of both I honestly dont know. I just think he takes swearwords at an extreme face value and is either paranoid or depressed about his life to think its directed at him personally, getting sad or offended.

Sounds like you failed to properly convey to them the situation surrounding what they were trying to do and why it failed.

Sounds like he has some trauma associated with curse words, if I had to guess. Or he's just fucking weird.

>Player tries something
>It works
>They will try it again and again even if it doesn't make sense in the situation

The one that always gets me is the group that gets into a giant mess, then whinges that they can't immediately find a single action that fixes the whole thing instantly.

Maybe you should do a better job selling your game as an internally consistent world rather than a story you're coming up with on the spot.

>illithid save-or-sucks entire party
>entire party (except one) makes their save vs stunned the next turn
>one player keeps failing saves (with advantage)
>gets increasingly butthurt and emotey about it

>Player tries something that is 100% going to work because he knows the nuances of the system
>GM tells him it doesn't because that serves as a way of guiding players to where he wants them to be
>Player gets mad
Soooo, having +63, yeah, 63, to jump doesn't let me jump with light load between two buildings separated 10 meters because that would mean I can totally chase and caught the bad guy...nice I guess

>"Heads up guys, hacking shenanigans are going to come up this game."
>Player gets his shit hacked
>Gets mad

>Fire monster breaks out and says some shit
>"I speak primordial! What does it say?"
>"You can't understand it, user."
>"BULLSHIT WHAT KIND OF FIRE ELEMENTAL DOESN'T SPEAK PRIMORDIAL?'
>"user! IF IT DOESN'T SPEAK PRIMORDIAL, THEN WHAT DO YOU KNOW IT IS NOT?"

Ehhhhh, I'd give the GM the slide on that one. Either they are new or didn't know you had this crazy trick up your sleeve.

Depending on how many turns and how long it actually took to get to the fight, I could see myself getting butthurt too if I didn't get to do jack shit.

>sitting in on a low level OSR 1 off
>party is storming a ship anchored at the docks
>party's 2 archers shoot 3 guards
>ships mage leans out and gets hit by an arrow, gets wrecked
Next round
>ships mage leans back out from cover, guaranteed to get hit again
This wizard is a fucking moron
>DM throws a fucking hissy fit as if the comment was directed at him personally
>gathers all his shit and storms out
>we were playing at his fucking house
>he's sitting in his car crying
I couldn't stop laughing

>crazy trick up your sleeve.
He knew I had that up my sleeve, I'm a monk with 120+ ft speed, I more than once refused to use horse and move at the same speed as the group on horse, me walking they running. He knew I could jump far as fuck because it happened several times when trying to cross through rivers (I jump, tie ropes, make improvised bridge, everybody crosses safe). But nooooow, I can't jump 10 miserably feet (when my average is 23 meters, 20 if I roll nat1), because I can totally catch the assassin that killed an importan NPC

Dude, if you don't want us to interrogate him use a cyanide pill or something, but he also want because we can speak and interrogate spirits too

Huh, yeah that's a hardcore oversight. You should see if the DM wants a break and take over DMing for a couple of sessions.

>facepalm-got.gif

smokebomb / teleport ring problem solvered.

Oh my god this. My group assassinated a king that they were tricked into thinking was a tyrant. The guards are chasing them and one of them finds the king''s corpse and gives it back and says "hey your clerics should be able to revive him." And is astonished that the guards are still looking to arrest them.

>Player tries something stupid because "it'll be funny"
>tell him it's not going to work, partially because it won't, and partially because I don't feel like turning the campaign into Haha Peepee Funny Jokeman Tells Funjokes
>"aw come ooooonnnnnn it'll be funny" ad infinitum

Just give them the real life consequences of their actions.

>player's action has real life consequences
>player bitches and calls me a dick
>OR
>same player goes "god that was such a stupid plan, why'd we do that? We should've xyz instead"
>OR
>"this is too hard, give us something else to do"

Sometimes I think about this shit during the day and get mad

>same player goes "god that was such a stupid plan, why'd we do that? We should've xyz instead"

This is the best response. It shows that they are learning.

He says it like it was someone else's plan that he was dragged into, so I don't think so

Sounds more like is making weird-ass judgments or projecting to bee honest

Then stop inviting him.

Or set up a new game without him.

Maybe trying asking him to not be such a prick.

>"Heads up guys, ill-defined term that probably means something different to you than it does to me is going to come up this game"
>Player's character is hurt in a way that is often considered off-the-table for a GM to do
>Gets upset because pre-game communication didn't properly set up this sort of scenario
>GM posts on Veeky Forums and described the unfun shit in the vaguest terms possible to win the approval of neckbeards

>"Heads up guys, ill-defined term that probably means something different to you than it does to me is going to come up this game"
>Player's character is hurt in a way that is often considered off-the-table for a GM to do

wut?

>get drop on distracted enemy
>DM specifically says its weapon is lying on the floor
>use Mage hand to remove weapon from fight, throwing it off cliff
>"You can't drop it off the cliff, just move it to the edge"
>but it's within range
>"You can't."
>"Enemy moves, picks up weapon and charges you"
>critical hit, max damage, you're dead
This was a few years ago and I'm STILL mad about it.

Damn, that's one dirty DM.

Nah, that would mean he has to come up with clever and logical stuff, is better to say "nuh, you can't jump 10 meters when you have always jumped far more in equally stressful situations"

Smokebomb probably wouldn't work though because I have a mask that gives me scent, and darkvision

Depending on what "player gets his shit hacked" means. Many games operate on the assumption that character possessions are more-or-less safe because players consider them part of their character and having them stolen makes them feel like they lose autonomy over their character.
Now, I'm not arguing for one playstyle over another, but an experienced GM should be aware of this and properly inform his players that they may have their possessions taken away in this game. "Hacking shenanigans" is such a broad term that it really serves as no warning/pre-game compact whatsoever.

>Many games operate on the assumption that character possessions are more-or-less safe because players consider them part of their character and having them stolen makes them feel like they lose autonomy over their character.

WUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT?

What kind of crazy land games have you been playing?

What's worse is he asked after if I wanted an out to survive but I was too prideful and declined with the whole "that's how the dice fell" mentality.
I've honestly not had as much fun playing since that incident.

Not the same user. But while yes, that is how it works in the real world,. Some verisimilitude can be compromised for the sake of fun. I agree sneaking as a group is fucking stupid. But it allows the party to not split and people to be in the action.

A good compromise in my opinion (and one some systems use) is not to have the best stealth person roll the checks. But to have the least skilled person roll the checks. It's assumed the awesome stealth guy will be awesome and succeeded. However Mr. I'm 7' tall, 280lbs, walking around in full plate with a great sword. Being the most likely to fuck up should be given the opportunity to NOT fuck it up however small that chance might be.

Oof, that's rough.

That's how I always do it

>Have spell that teleports my spellbook to the ethereal plane in a undisclosed safe and protected location and returns it to me when I want it by spending a standard action
>DM "user, they stole your spellsbook"
>? No, is in the ethereal place, I always cast this spell after I memorize the spells, I told you, I repeated ad nausam for like 20 sessions
>...ok...
>I call my spellbook back
>...doesn't return, someone stole it
>How?
>You don't know, they did it
Woah, thanks, I love when I spend a 3rd level spell to not be robbed and I get robbed by DM fiat, so nice knowing that I have a smart DM able to generate logical and coherent obstacles

More like, why do you have so little empathy with fellow humans?
But this is Veeky Forums so I suppose it's a bad place to ask that question.

Excellent example of DM stealing player shit and player feeling cheated. DMs should not do this sort of shit without setting guidelines for the game before it starts and communicating them clearly.

>i must cater to everyone's fragile fee fees, or I'm a big meanie
No. I can tell your games suck

Sounds like your GM needs a break. You should offer to run a few games.

>More like, why do you have so little empathy with fellow humans?

wut?

user, you do realise that the ethereal plane is full of thieves, right?

What do you think an "Ethereal Filcher" is?

You're a fucking idiot.
You can do whatever you want, but it won't be fun for everyone if basic game assumptions aren't discussed beforehand.
If you even use the phrase "fragile fee fees" I can tell you're a fucking autist who doesn't understand or empathize with human emotions, or think they're "not important" because they're "illogical" and "just emotions."

See above.

> DMs should not do this sort of shit without setting guidelines for the game before it starts and communicating them clearly.

Uh, it sounds like the DM was just overwhelmed by the massive amount of shit people can do in D&D and didn't think of a clever way to circumvent it. It's a very understandable problem. The DM def mishandled the whole situation but I think that just means one of the players should DM for a bit.

Damn dude, you need to go change your fucking tampon and have some cranberry juice, you pmsing little bitch.
>i can tell your an autist who doesn't understand human emotions
1: implying
2: says the guy sperging out
3: you literally sound like a child. Overcoming adversity and shit like that is what these games are about, ya fucking nonce

>Spell literally says safe, undisclosed and protected place in the ethereal plane
that spell is meant to be a "no, you can't do shit to my spellsbook", and it costs a 3rd level spell slot everyday, more if you want to call your book back before the end of the day.

its the same as casting breath water and your GM going with "nah, now I don't feel like you can breath water so you die".

>DM has us fight bad guy who apparently is supposed to escape the module
>He disappears in a puff of smoke
>Cast counterspell
>"It wasn't a spell it was physical smoke"
>Cast See Invisible
>DM gets visibly frustrated and asks why we have to ruin everything

>Be GM
>Be only source of information for players
>Players complain about the quality of their information

I don't disagree with you. DMs make mistakes, often due to inexperience. All I was saying is that the DM fucked up, not that he's an inherently shit DM.

Theft as a plot hook can be interesting. "Your spellbook is gone forever because I said so" is fucking stupid. Just because realistically it could happen doesn't mean it's fun to have in a game.

Weird, ethereal beings aren't entirely predictable and impotent.

Who would have thunk it.

>it won't be fun for everyone if basic game assumptions aren't discussed beforehand

I can't remember seeing a game where players thought their gear was sacred and untouchable unless it was specifically the purpose of the whole game or their entire character revolved around the gear. If a player wants "no bully" on specific items then they should bring that up with their GM. That way people don't get triggered when the GM burns up some rope in their inventory.

>that spell is meant to be a "no, you can't do shit to my spellsbook"

Classic rollplaying.

You might wanna screencap or share the spell. Chances it refers to something like "personal pocket dimension." I don't see why that would be out of reach of creatures that specifically hop around dimensions.

Laf'd, nice

But See Invisible wouldn't help against physical smoke?

To an extent, I agree. But there's a pretty big difference between "some rope" and "the wizard's spellbook, which is the source of their primary class function." Or whatever "player gets his shit hacked" means.
The more important a belonging is to the character's functionality, the more careful a DM has to be when compromising it. Some things simply shouldn't be taken away without the DM quickly revealing a way to get them back/replace them.

>All I was saying is that the DM fucked up,

No, you were saying that the DM needs to set up a meeting at the start of the game to check with players to go over a checklist of what is and isn't cool in terms of interacting with their gear.

pocket dimension or demiplane don't have "safe and protected" in their description

>druid casts pass without trace
>the fighter still fails the stealth check

>Or whatever "player gets his shit hacked" means.

Ooooooooh, you were a troll stirring shit about stuff you literally have no idea what you are talking about.

All because you got triggered by a spell book getting snagged?

>Feature says "You can't be disarmed as long as you're concious"
>GM: You're disarmed
>Complain
>GM: Classical rollplaying, better play a videogame
Just because you can say, fuck it, I'm the GM, rocks fall because I feel like it, doesn't mean you have to do that

Or better I'll make a rebuttal according to yours: Write a book

Welp, looks like there are perfectly reasonable ways to swipe a wizard's spellbook even when using a 3rd level spell.

I have both of these in the same group. They're getting super shitty about it.

>how many times they need to roll
This is why I don't play stealth characters anymore. Too many years of GMs who just force you to roll stealth over and over until you fail. The guys who make you roll stealth ten times to walk through a hallway, then tell you it was stupid to try and sneak somewhere because, lol, you should have known you'd get caught.

>Or better I'll make a rebuttal according to yours: Write a book
I'm now convinced your either legitimately retarded, or you're trolling. Either way, you're a pathetic little bitch. Stay mad, faggot

>Something that specifically says "you can't be disarmed"
>Something that specifically says "your book is in a pocket dimension"

user, you are looking for the spell that specifically says "your book cannot be stolen." Because if it doesn't say that then you are rollplaying.

>can I use our immovable rod to stay attached to the ice wall without slipping?
>GM: sure, you manage to keep your position on the wall without needing a climb check

later

>I'm going to use the immovable rod to stick myself to the dragons back!
>GM: okay, on the dragons turn he starts beating his wings and launches into the air, make a strength saving throw to resist being blown off his back
>NUH UH I'M USING THE ROD TO STAY IN PLACE

>in a pocket dimension
For the 3rd time, safe and protected undisclosed place. Pocket dimension and even create demiplane say shit about safe and protected.

Screen cap?

I dunno, was from Spell compendium or whatever the name was of that book from 3.5 with only spells, that game was almost a decade ago. I remember being 3rd level or maybe 4th level. But I'm 100% sure the spell said safe and protected because we had an argument about the meaning of those words in where the whole group, bar GM, sided with me.

>Using spell compendium
Munhckin detected
That shit is known for broken as fuck and improved and at lowest spell slots of other spells, no wonder your DM wanted to shut you down

Huh, well yah if it says "safe and protected" then it's reasonable to assume that it can't get swiped unless someone is trying really hard and spends a lot of shit to try and swipe it. DM was def overwhelmed with all the shit going on in D&D.

>With a cat-like tread, upon our prey we steal!

>Player tries something

You'd think it would be a good thing even, since the only way you can do stealth without splitting the party is if everyone has it. But like said, the rules don't actually allow it to work.

there are ways to make it work, just don't be stupid about it.

you shouldn't be trying to sneak while stuck to each others hip like some sort of 10 legged mutant.

>5 party members, each need to sneak across a room.
>1st to go is the one with the highest stealth skill, they get to the other side of the room unnoticed.
>from their hidden position, they throw something or make a noise to distract the guards and then hide
>while the guards are searching, the person with the lowest stealth check attempts to sneak with advantage
>once the lowest roll is out of the way, the others can attempt to sneak past once the guards settle down.

depending on the classes you have you can make it even easier with stuff like "pass without trace" or "silent image"

>Not allowed to play the game because of a dumb mechanic
>LWAL WHY U SO BUTTHURT MANG?

Eat a dick.

>lose autonomy
Tell me how I know you're a shit dm and have shitty snowflake players. Seriously, autonomy is limited in real life. It's limited in game too - overgrown babies need to learn to get over it

>More like, why do you have so little empathy with fellow humans?
Attacking the make-believe possessions of a character in a game of pretend has nothing to do with empathy.

Christ. You fucking autistic shits are showing up more and more. What is wrong with the new generation? Basics like shit can be stolen is a GIVEN already. Thievery is not out of bounds. It's like someone getting upset about thier ruined immersion and autonomy when their character took damage because the dm didn't explicitly tell them it could happen at the beginning. God damn you fucks are stupid

Hence why I called him a pmsing little bitch.

So do fucking safes you cunt. That's not a guarantee that they're completely their proof.

If you even need to spend a third-level spell every day to keep the DM from taking away the item you need to do anything relevant at all, he's already an asshole and you should just drop the game.

Honestly, he seems like the kind of guy that when hit with a fireball while reading his spellbook, he'd pitch a fucking fit like a toddler having a tantrum when you stated that his spellbook, and the rest of his shit, had to make a save or it's fried