People who got into 40k through the video games (especially through the DoW series) should be surgically removed from...

People who got into 40k through the video games (especially through the DoW series) should be surgically removed from the hobby.

They propagate an obnoxiously neutered view of the fluff, a general misunderstanding of the culture that birthed it, have very little appreciation for its aesthetics, are afraid of being seen as "edgy" and this results in all sorts of embarrassingly milquetoast fan works (such as love can bloom, Nobledark 40k. the primarchs' daughters, eagle ordinary etc...) and gross exaggerations (such as "grim darkness is just a joke" and "40k was never meant to be serious at all") that sometimes end up seeping into official material.

They're also the sort of people who constantly ask "could the tyranids beat the zerg?" , want the timeline to progress and ignore any fluff older than the 4th edition.

That being said it's not a really big deal. But it's still a nasty state of affairs that results in mediocre output from GW when they try to exploit it.

leave

>REEEEEEEEEE PEOPLE DON'T LIKE THE THING IN EXACTLY THE SAME WAY I DO REEEEEEEE

Go to bed, Carl.

It would have been funnier if you had just ignored OP's thread until it fell off the back page.

Why do you think you have the right to enjoy things in a different way from me?

Is it the result of a lifelong alternate reality mind training program or were you just dropped on the head a couple times when you were a kid?

While I can agree with you on general principle
>"grim darkness is just a joke" and "40k was never meant to be serious at all")
Is all true. I know. I've been with it since late Rogue Trader times.

But 40k was never intended to be serious. Its very heavily influenced by 2000ad, which while having serious moments, has a very strong sense of humour running throughout. I'd say the attitude that 40k must be treated as serious business cause far more issues than people from outside the hobby by trying to force a setting cobbled together from what the designers thought was cool to mean something deeper than just having fun.

>stories about toy soldiers are serious
Do you also treat Transformers cartoon as a respectable piece of art?

>People who got into 40k should be surgically removed
fifty

to me, 40k is absolute absurdity played straight. It's all the stupid, iconoclastic, bullshit we know, but in the 40k world it's deadly serious. yeah, da boys talk in a shirty cockney accent. It isn't a joke in 40k. that's how they talk. yeah, razor-bikini elves who live in a pocket dimension and feed of PAAAAIIIIINNN is sort of cliche and derpy..but in 40k it's deadldeadly. fucking. serious. saying it isn't humorous is dumb. It is to us. The whole setting is absurd. but in the world itself, it's anything but. It's serious and deadly and shit sucks.

you are incorrect
it had comedic ELEMENTS
just like 2000 AD stories. A satyrical premise, with many bits of dark comedy, but with a 99% self-serious narrative.

It did not have serious "moments". It had a more or less silly basic premise, played straight enough to result in a lot of horrific stuff and dramatic stakes, but lightly enough to also create humor inside of it.

Because here's the thing: cool and goofy are antithetic. 40k falls somewhere down the middle. Sometimes the creators try to make something cool, they fail, the result is goofy. Sometimes they have a silly idea, but they play it straight and the result is cool. Sometimes they try to put some serious stuff in there, sometimes just some wacky shit.

It's definitely not "just a joke"

No because compared to 40k, very little care was put into it, its aesthetic inspirations are tame and boring, and as a result it's thoroughly ugly and dull.

Art is either entertainment, or financial investments masquerading as entertainment.

Seriousness is a matter of tone.

>"just a joke"

A well told comedy routine relies upon its straight man. So, taking an absurd premise and playing it straight is close to the very essence of a long form joke.

bait or garbage personality, sage.

This is some fresh bait.

>muh clubhouse
>MUH CLUBHOUSE

miniatures belong on /toy/

I got into the hobby from the space marine game. Now I collect admech and know more about the fluff than anyone that goes to my local store.

S A G E
A
G
E

>People who got into 40k through a popular and well received part of the franchise and have developed a genuine interest in the setting should be surgically removed because I was here first

I love the 40k lore, but I wanna get a few models to start an army. How in the fuck do you guys afford massive armies and paint?

Use time machine. Start when you were twelve. Never sell.

Fuck.