Space Marine Chapter Creation

>Space Marine Chapter Creation
>Who was the Chapter's Progenitor?
>1-50 = Ultramarines

What.

Most Chapters are descended from Ultramarines. They were the biggest Legion before the Heresy, and everyone else took massive casualties during the Heresy.

This has been canon since at least the 3rd edition as far as I know.

Sadly, lorewise it should probably be even more.

Numerically, the ones that would have the most successors are,

Most
>Ultramarines (by far, I think estimated to have around 500 successors?)
>Dark Angels (something like 250 successors, right?)
>Imperial Fists

Moderate
>Blood Angels?
>Iron Hands
>White Scars
>Raven Guard

None (known)
>Space Wolves (impossible until recently)
>Salamanders (although Black Dragons and Storm Giants are believed to be descended from them)

Not to mention Ultramarines successor is the go-to answer for when you don't rightly know, or the real answer is less than favourable. Since there are so many anyway, you can blend in with all the others noone can keep track of.

I legit thought that as a Night Lord until I realize the knee had and X and not a V

Ultramarines have a stable geneseed, closely adhere to the Codex, and generally don't have any chapter-cult-weirdness to them. There's a good reason why they're the most prolific.

Gotta love it when people try to do their own thing in 40k without even having a basic knowledge of the setting.

I'm surprised to learn about Salamanders not having any successors. Is it genetic like with the Space Wolves or is it just that none have ever been mentioned?

Old fluff was that they got so BTFO at the Drop Site Massacre that they lacked the numbers to make any successors in the Second Founding.

How they somehow haven't managed to make *any* foundings over the next 10k years is anyone's guess, but I'd wager it's mostly no one giving a toss about Sallies in the first place.

Over two thirds of Chapters are Ultramarine descendant, so that's an underestimation.
>>Dark Angels (something like 250 successors, right?)

Dark Angels are actuall noted as having relatively few and Fists are second behind Ultras.

I guess the thing with the Dark Angels is that while they don't have a lot of successors, those that exist are relatively strong and maintain unhealthily strong ties with their progenitor chapter

fucking legion builders

Iron Hands only have a handful of sucessors. The Ecclesiarchy and Administratum don't like them for their ties to the AdMech and the Inquisition thinks they're too secretive to not be hiding something.

>not the lost 2

Didn't the two unknown primarchs have their legions absorbed into the ultra marines? So to start with they had almost 3 times that of standard chapter.

>Didn't the two unknown primarchs have their legions absorbed into the ultra marines?
No.

Supposition and rumor, apparently. No one's really sure what went on, as those that do don't speak of it. The Ultramarines deny that such a thing happened, and their geneseed doesn't appear to have been affected by any other Primarch's flaws (as often happens after they've spent a while around their Primarch).

Ultras did apparently have an influx of troopers into their ranks during the Great Crusade, but it could have just been from successful campaigns and legion tithings from their liberated/conquered worlds. I mean, Ultramar has fucking 500 worlds and damn near every one of them was put to work by Guilliman after he took over it, statesman that he was.

Probably. The only source is a Word Bearer but he didn't really have any reason to lie about it at the time. The Forge World black books strongly hint at it (the Ultramarines had massive increases in numbers after both [REDACTED] incidents involving the Space Wolves)

Also, fluffwise it seems like the Codex is a pretty defining document for the Chapters, and those that lose their progenitor's identity might cling to that document as a way of maintaining their traditions and identity as Space Marines. This leads to a whole lot of Chapters following the generic Ultramarine's template or possibly venerating Guilliman and the Ultramarines for creating their founding document even though he might not be their true primogenitor.

Yeah, it makes sense that any chapter who no longer knows who their Primarch is would either forge their own path and Chapter Tactics through a strong self-identity, or they'd just use the default guidebook which would be Ultramarines.

Thus making Robot Girlyman their spiritual liege

>he didn't really have any reason to lie about it at the time.

He was a Word Bearer talking about Ultramarines, he had ever reason to slander them.

Not if it was before emps sent the little boys in blue to go stomp their shit. The question is when did he make the claim?

>The question is when did he make the claim?

During their pilgrimage to the Eye.