/swg/ - Legion Confirmed Edition

Previous Thread: Post about FFG, d6, Saga/d20, X-wing, Lego, Armada and anything else Star Wars Related

Legion announcement
>fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/8/18/star-wars-legion/

Fantasy Flight Games’ X-Wing and Star Wars: Armada Miniatures Games
>pastebin.com/Wca6HvBB

Fantasy Flight Games’ Star Wars RPG System (EotE/AoR/FaD)
>pastebin.com/wCRBdus6
>mega.nz/#!DkNTDTyZ!PUupCOep4RmRcsgI3rNhU_Pk_xcyFbYWnhrq8gwrVv0

Shipfag's Starship Combat Fixes for EotE/AoR/FaD
>mediafire.com/file/y9w713etmckbs98/Shipfag.JPG
Other Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars Tabletop (Imperial Assault, Star Wars: Destiny and the Star Wars LCG)
>pastebin.com/ZE4gn0yN
Fantasy Flight Games Dice App (Works with X-Wing, Armada, the Star Wars RPG system and Imperial Assault)
>mediafire.com/download/64xy3uy6vepll8v/com.fantasyflightgames.swdice.ver.1.1.4.build.9.apk

Older Star Wars Tabletop (d6, d20/Saga, etc.)
>pastebin.com/wXP0LdyJ

Reference Materials & Misc. Resources
>pastebin.com/AGFFkSin

All Canon Novels and Comics (via /co/)
>mega.co.nz/#F!2R5kDTqQ!WfrDla-jvDIn05U57T9hhQ

Just What IS Canon Anyways?
>starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon#2014_reboot
>starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_canon_media

The Clone Wars Viewing Guide
>img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1442/36/1442364889994.png
Writefaggotry
>pastebin.com/cJY5FK9T
Shipfag's hangar
>drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByhAdnTlOKOeQnA4SFByUC1aQWM&usp=sharing

Heroes of the Aturi Cluster, co-op X-Wing campaign
>dockingbay416.com/campaign

Will FFG introduce other factions -- scum (or subsets thereof), Clone-Wars factions, or something else -- or will Legion always be Empire and Rebellion?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1OVnCFq1j04
strawpoll.me/13735695
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for First Order in LEgion

I'll repost my legion tldr

>You have a hand of (at game start) seven prechosen command cards which allow you to activate units in range of your comnander, or you can activate one of your units at random (drawing a random unit type token and assigning it to a unit of that type to activate), until all units have activated. Initiative is determined by comparing both players' chosen command.

>Game lasts seven turns.

>You use an Armada-style movement tool for your squad leader, and the rest of the squad goes anywhere within cohesion. Neat.

>You've got unit and upgrade cards with slots and point costs, as usual.

>Models are unpainted and unassembled.

>If it's anything like previous core sets, and based on the points costs, it looks like model count will rival 40k.

>>You use an Armada-style movement tool for your squad leader, and the rest of the squad goes anywhere within cohesion. Neat.

I really like that mechanic. Unit movement became such a chore in 40K and Warmachine, so imprecise too.

>Game lasts seven turns.

Boo static game length

>You have a hand of (at game start) seven prechosen command cards which allow you to activate units in range of your comnander, or you can activate one of your units at random (drawing a random unit type token and assigning it to a unit of that type to activate), until all units have activated. Initiative is determined by comparing both players' chosen command.

As long as those pre-chosen command cards are selected as part of army construction that doesn't sound so bad - but does this mean I only activate 7 units during the game? Or do command cards activate multiple dudes?

>If it's anything like previous core sets, and based on the points costs, it looks like model count will rival 40k.
If it's anything like previous core sets, and based on the points costs, it looks like model count will rival 40k.

If the game is fun this could be the thing that finally kills off PP. I've been dying for a game of this scale, and this will keep me from going back to 40K.

>Legion is fast and organic as you maneuver your troops around the battlefield using jointed movement tools.
>organic
>jointed movement tools
what the fuck

Luke painting tutorial for Legion
>youtube.com/watch?v=1OVnCFq1j04

>Mechanics
As with all things FFG, it will use special dice, and oodles of tokens. The game does not use unit trays, but instead will have rules for unit cohesion and a commander issuing orders. It also appears there will still be movement templates of some sort. The announcement article also mentions terrain in the core set, although I expect that will be 2D punchout stuff, although I look forward to people creating terrain.

>Scale
Tutorial painter Sorastro says Luke from Legion is about 35mm tall, vs. about 30mm for Imperial Assault. (He also says some planned vehicle expansions are "spectacular.")

>Contents
The core set contains 33 figures, including Luke Skywalker, an AT-RT, and Rebel troopers for the Rebellion and Darth Vader, speeder bikes, and Stormtroopers for the Empire, with apparent variations of both factions' troopers.

Lovely.

Alright well this game looks shit, and I bought Imperial Assault only to play it once.
Anybody know any good homebrews I could play with the IA minis?

The "move the commander, then place everyone in cohesion" point is way more organic than individually measuring troopers in my opinion.

>As long as those pre-chosen command cards are selected as part of army construction that doesn't sound so bad - but does this mean I only activate 7 units during the game? Or do command cards activate multiple dudes?
I think you normally use random activation, but the cards are used when you need this unit to move right now.

>As long as those pre-chosen command cards are selected as part of army construction that doesn't sound so bad - but does this mean I only activate 7 units during the game? Or do command cards activate multiple dudes?

Yes, it sounds like you choose your cards at either army creation or immediately before the game or somesuch.

No - command cards can activate multiple units, and might have various other effects.

You activate every unit every turn, but units not activated by a command card activate in a semirandom order. You pick one unit token (which are mapped to different unit types) from your pool at random, and activate a unit of that type.

The cards allow you to activate what you need when you need it.

I disagree, I think it's far more organic to have living things move individually of each other than to have them move as a swarm

>I think you normally use random activation, but the cards are used when you need this unit to move right now.

"Normally" relying on random activation would kill the game for me.

That legitimately sounds like a pretty fucking cool mechanic. I am hype as fuck. Only problem is stupid FFG dice.

well, GW had a good run, this should be the final nail in their coffin

I have questions on the model quality for Legion.

Are the models hard-plastic, or IA plastic-esque? Do they come on sprues, or in bags? Can someone take detail photos of the models? A side-by-side next to an IA trooper?

The major of your questions don't have answers yet

Good question. PVC bagged models - kill me. Had enough of that with PP.

If they're polystyrene on sprues I'd be happy, but I doubt it.

>he said, for the millionth time. And it was no truer than the last.

Majority*

>Star Wars

I'll try throwing out one shitty Star Wars game after another. That's a good trick! He was a good friend.

Soo hyped. Wonder if they will do scum eventually. Also really want the hover tank and At-ATs

Vehicles seem to have arcs of some sort

It works fine for Bolt Action. My guess is

>Each unit comes with a token - at the start of the turn, you put all these into a cup or bag, and pull them without looking, then activate them.
>You can use a Command Card to activate certain units, grabbing their tokens out of the bag so you don't have them activate more than once.
>At the end of the turn, put them all back in the bag

probably a different movement template

That's all I got, don't think anybody's seen unpainted models or unboxing or the "terrain" yet

Possibly, but note that the speeder has four arcs, but the walker only two. The slots do seem meant for the template, controlling facing.
Yes exactly this is correct

Wait no, not exactly this is correct.

That's how it works, but tokens are by unit TYPE, not by unit. So you have some control over the RNG.

I am predicting this now

3 years from now they will introduce huge models like AT-ATs, equivalent in scale to PP huge bases or imperial knights, and the player base will complain about how their introduction ruined the game.

Actually now that I look closer maybe the walker does have four arcs.

I'm only just learning about this, and I'm pretty fucking hype.

My issue is I have
>Infinity
>40k
>Chain of Command/Bolt Action
>Warmahordes
>Guildball
>other games but they have no local community
Why should I buy something for this game instead of adding to a game of similar scale/scope I already own, or god forbid one of the 20+ actively supported games just like this? The market is so fucking congested with decades-established juggernaughts.

I give it 1 year not 3 before the introduction of AT-AT's and Salvaged Juggernauts for Rebels.

3 years is where I put the Scum factions introduction.

I mean it was only published two hours ago so

I'm pretty hype too desu, "what if FFG unfucked 40k's rules" is a wet dream

>Salvaged Juggernauts for Rebels.
Is this a thing? Are there pictures?

Ah that's a nice mix. Bolt Action makes it entirely up to you - you pull a die of your color and you can activate ANY unit in your army. Making it work on unit types(I expect Troop - Hero - Vehicle) would be a nice midpoint between "do what you like" and "do exactly this"

Everyone is, it just now got announced.

For me? I'm looking to replace warmahordes as the community has imploded in the wake of Mk3. I'd start 40K but frankly the rules are still terrible.

This looks to be the scale of 40K and an IP that will be easy to convert my non-mini-playing friends to. Looks legitimately fun, or at leasty enough to invest in the core set.

Games like Infinity and GB are really fun but I've been craving a game of this scale.

>an IP that will be easy to convert my non-mini-playing friends to
This is the real strength of Star Wars games desu, and the reason I think Legion has a chance to get big.That's why X-Wing worked, after all

strawpoll.me/13735695

Vote, five is most hype

The Rebels have used Juggernauts in a few video games, Galactic Battlegrounds and Empire at War.

>Not wanting to rappel out of a U-Wing directly onto an AT-AT so you can blast through the thin top armor, board it, and take it over from the inside

Even a year is more than I expect. I bet it's one of the first expansions within months of release. We all know they're itching to do it because they know people are itching to have it. It would be a huge selling point for the game, smart to get them out there early.

>Why should I buy something for this game instead of adding to a game of similar scale/scope I already own
Star Wars
which means
-big playerbase that is going to bring in people who usually don't play wargames
-continued support
-rich lore

Maybe - the AT-AT kit would be a huge expenditure though, because it would probably be at least the size of a Warhound Titan. FFG's accounts would have to show that big kits for Legion sell in the first place.

I expect the AT-ST will be the acid test to see if the AT-AT is doable.

I think that'd be too big a jump all at once. I bet it's around a year, in the second or third wave depending how quickly they do waves.

Keep in mind they have to release new commanders, troop options, anti-vehicle troops, etc. I bet the first wave of new stuff is alternate commanders and infantry, second is more light vehicles, and third is bigger stuff.

Wishlist for Legion?

God-fucking-damnit FFG.

Now this winter I'm going to be dropping money on

>the Fallout boardgame
>the new Civilization boardgame
>Twilight Imperium 4th Edition
>Genesys
>Wave XII of X-Wing

And now this, too.

And all after I just dropped $300+ on the aSoIaF Kickstarter.

>Total faction list
Galactic Empire
Rebel Alliance
Trade Federation
Galactic Republic
Resistance/New Republic
First Order
Scum of The Galaxy(many subfactions)

Also I expect we'll see normal vehicles well before anything that huge.

Prequels
Sequels
"Scum" that can be hired by either faction but aren't one in and of themselves
Terrain kits
H o v er t a n k s

I'm gonna break my usual rebel inclinations and go Empire for once so I want big toys

Clone Wars

It's not out until next year

>Clone Wars
God yes
>Terrain
I fucking wish
>Multiple-timeline factions
Would be really cool but so unlikely. Which probably means no clones.

The box states it comes with terrain, so it's not impossible.

Ultimately though Star Wars terrain is available at your local target if you shop around for the right scale.

Everyone who bought Imperial Assault proved to FFG that this was financially viable

Your sacrifice was not in vain

>poorfags keep dreaming and GW is rolling over FFG on all fronts ....

GW is back with Necromunda and 8E (and soon BFG).

>The box states it comes with terrain
Sure it's not like Rune Wars terrain? I.e cardboard area terrain?

It has also proved to me and my friends that Imperial Assault is a lot of fun, both as a skirmish game and for campaigns. The only minis game with a larger or more active player base at my FLGS is X-Wing.

No, it probably is.

But the possibility that they'll sell terrain exists as nonzero.

I suppose.
Their tables looked really cool.

I mean the possibilities for cool star wars terrain are pretty varied, so they'd be nuts to not capitalise on that.

The thing that scares me the most about this whole thing is that it's a licensed product. All it takes is Disney clipping the string and then the whole fucking thing is dead.

Yeah that's part of my reasoning.

They know games like SWL and Runewars need terrain to function and to look good on a table, and they know SWL is positioned to bring in people new to tabletop wargames.

But why would that happen? It's a goldmine.

They have officially stated that they aren't going to release terrain for Runewars though.

I could envision themed playsets. A Tattoine box of terrain (moisture farms, etc) with some upgrade cards and an alternate Luke commander or something. A Scarif kit with commander Krennec and palm trees. So on and so forth.

Disney has a change of heart? and it's not a goldmine. it's still a niche product which will make pennies in comparison to other uses of the i.p. it will have to pull in megabucks over a long period to make disney leave it alone

Oh is that true? Source?

and ffg has the star wars IP

gw vs star wars? who do you think is going to win that one?

It's a goldmine relative to its Niche, and Disney mostly understands Niche products.

>'s not a goldmine. it's still a niche product which will make pennies in comparison to other uses of the i.p. it will have to pull in megabucks over a long period to make disney leave it alone

FFG having the license doesn't preclude other uses of the IP. Hasbro owns the license to sell board games, for example. Disney can split it up as they wish.

The only reasons to revoke FFG's license would be if FFG is abusing it somehow (0% chance), there's another company who could make more money off the same types of products (0% chance), FFG's use of the license isn't profitable (0% chance), or Disney decides having no Star Wars tabletop games is superior to having them (close to 0% chance).

hm, we'll see. i have no interest in investing in a game that could be yanked into non existance without a moments notice. especially when it's owned by a company like disney.

GW certainly isn't going to loose or go out of business.

Also, an entire army that's required to be painted almost exclusively in white...

I want to know this too- i bought into IA, but the model quality was kinda 'meh'- i'd really want better detailing and stiffer plastic.

Ideally the scale is the same so that I can use IA models as filler though.

How's that different from IA?

Also you can paint them however you want, they're your toys.

The scale seems to be *slightly* larger than IA, but close enough that you could proxy fine.

Would have been better if it was set in the clone wars era. Custom painted clones speak for themselves.

If it's like past games, then two core sets will be slightly smaller than the intended points level.

That's pretty decently sized, in my opinion. Fast movement makes me excited.

If they don't release distinct rules for Death Troopers, black is always an option for them.

please. star wars fag are almost as bad as historical gamers in terms of having things as accurate as possible.

I like star wars shit... I think a lot of people will get in just for that. I think it'll get a lot of people into miniatures.

I also never got to play the really old Star Wars miniature game, so I want to make up for lost time.

You mean black, right?

>Hasbro owns the license to sell board games, for example
Isn't Rebellion a board game? Or is the license just not exclusive, like with old SW computer games?

If they put in a bounty hunter squad, maybe with some mandalorian bullshit, I'd jump on that game so quick.

But I'll enjoy panting Stormtroopers in silly colors as I wait.

IA and Rebellion are both board games. (That's why you can't buy them on FFG's website).

Who knows why they can make them in the first place, maybe they struck a deal with Hasbro.

I wouldn't play against someone with non-white stormtroopers. In extreme circumstances I can accept a single stripe of a different colour.

Pink Stormtroopers are going to be a thing (not as bad as the every-panel-a-different-color desu) and the triggering will be fantastic.

In a game I ran, the players picked pink as their color for their clone trooper company.

So fukken HYPE to be able to run pic related soon(tm)

Aw yeah son!
Going to run decimators and gunboats for that slick grey imperial look

!!!

>fantasy flight
Haha. Nah, I'm good. After IA, the LCG and Destiny, I think I'll pass on the Disney Wars shite.

Why does FFG continue to put games in the OT era? The PT is king of the ground battles too.

where is my wave xii article ffg, move your lazy asses

Well, it would LOOK like a Gunboat and fly about as slow, but the ordinance mix and SLAM JAM sure seems a lot more like the Missile boat.

>only two factions
Worry.jpg
It's what killed off Runewars my local store.

Runewars has ~4 factions I thought?

And I'm sure mercenaries will show up soon.

At release and a few months it was only two factions.

>people wanting and wondering were the prequel stuff was for Battlefront
>nearly all video games without prequel content are hastily injecting it in currently

>legion forum filled with whining about mini scale instead

we probably won't even get a cw book for eote/aor/fad

There may be hope. Destiny has clone wars stuff. and for the RPG they are starting to release Era books.

Is there any reason to take the Overwhelm Emotions talent from Force-sensitive Exile if you plan to take the Influence Power? It just seems like a jankier version of the Control upgrade of Influence that allows you to add force dice to social checks, and as far as I know, they don't stack.

Are the models hard plastic, resin, IA-eque plastic, or mantic-esque restic?

That's the one thing I really need to know.