Does anyone have any experience with this? I bought it on a whim this morning and it looks neat...

Does anyone have any experience with this? I bought it on a whim this morning and it looks neat, but I'd like to know if it has any weird shit I should look out for.

Other urls found in this thread:

greenroninstore.com/collections/a-song-of-ice-and-fire-roleplaying/products/mountain-terrors-introduction-chronicle-system-pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

House creation is alot of fun. Game itself is ok/mediocre. If you like the setting it's ok I guess.

You're better off using the house creation rules, and then playing Zweihander or another high-mortality TTRPG with the house you made.

The character creation is crazy.

You can make a dude capable of punching a giant to death three times over with a single punch by abusing Blood of Heroes and stat dumping, right off the bat.

Iirc water dancers are kind of stupid in terms of melee combat. Other than that it's mostly just another generic fantasy rpg with a cool house creation system.

Wouldn't the giant just take an injury to avoid permanent damage?

There are some options that are just flat broken. For example, an acrobatic fighter (Meaning someone with that talent) is basically untouchable except by the absolute best of the best as long as they are fine with having a slightly slower action economy, and a stronk archer can hit harder than a ballista, several times per round.
Endurance is extremely important for everyone.

The game also assumes that characters are a lot less competent than they are. Even if you don't minmax, a normal starting character is leagues better than the game thinks they will be, and a minmaxed character breaks the system over their knee.

The greastest weakness of Acrobatic Figther is that they cannot wear armor with more than 1 bulk.

It means that if you engage them in winter they lose their benefits by default, as they would have to wear something to ward the cold, or risk hypotermia.

That sounds pretty interesting actually. Are there rules for playing in Summer and Winter?

there are probably all sorts of rules in the rule book.

which you can purchase or pirate.

Or, you can hope the spoon feeding continues.Faggot.

Not really, there are a few tips to make things more dangerous.

I'm a fan but I can't recommend it wholeheartedly.

It comes across as like a Japanese knock off of legend of the five rings if that makes any sense which it probably don't.

It's conceptually fine. The house creation is fun and the social combat is good to have even if it is just copied over from regular combat complete with social AC and hit points.

If you have a group that is *genuinely* interested in corporative storytelling over power gaming, check it out, just don't go in wanting balance and verisimilitude. You can make starting min max characters that that would across as ridiculously over powered and a typical high fantasy adveture setting like forgotten realms, let lone Westro.

I've seen a couple of other books for the Chronicle system (sorcery, a creature book, new wealth holdings rules). Are there more? It could be a good generic system.

That's pretty much it. You have the Wedding Knight, Nights Watch, Chronicle Starter, Peril at King's Landing and the Dragon's Hoard as stuff directly pertaining the Song of Ice and Fire.

The Mountain Terror, Woodland Creatures, Chronicle of Sorcery and Out of Strife, Prosperity can be used to add some spice to the game.

The best add-on though is the Hodor guide to Hodoring.

I think I'm just missing Mountain Terror. Got a link?

I hope you like very powerful characters.

greenroninstore.com/collections/a-song-of-ice-and-fire-roleplaying/products/mountain-terrors-introduction-chronicle-system-pdf

That's the barebone stuff, the monsters are a bit too hard to add into the ASOIAF.

Broken, shitty system.

I've been running it at my uni for the last two semesters, and I've had a good time.

The system is a bit wonky, and I think that it's not the game for some groups. When I run it I'm fairly loose on a lot of the rules and just stick to the core and winging the rest.
It works cuz most of my players are fairly experienced players. So yeah it's not for all groups.

You can do that in any system. Ease of abuse speaks more of the players than the game.

I enjoy the system.

Not at character creation, and I'm pretty sure there are plenty of systems where you can't do that at all.

It's pretty easy to accidentally make a busted good character even if you aren't trying. I wanted to play some minor noble's son who was good with a bow and basically became a ranged god of war.