EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Chittering Edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Horrible place with primers, access at your own risk.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question:
Who's the best graveyard commander? Most fun? Your favorite?

Other urls found in this thread:

deck.
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Still can't get over the fact that they literally just taped a scarab on a dude's neck and called it a day instead of making a humanoid scarab.

It's goddamn Karador, no matter what do you do with hem, he alwys comes back to bite you in the ass. At least you can kill Meren an orbitratry number of times

thanks for asking, i want to keep it pretty budget, im not going to spend more then 10-15€ on a card simply because my playgroup is pretty casual and doesn`t try hard with 200€+ landbases or something like that.
here`s the link again:
deck. tk/4knK0hy1
if anybody else wants to take a look at my budget upgrade of edgar markov, gonna stop spamming now, thank you all in advance.

Karador, Karador, Karador.

Best is probably Meren? I'm not sure.

Most fun is definitely Shirei.

My favorite is probably Gisa and Geralf even if I can't make the deck work.

>Wah wah wah I literally cannot stop sucking dicks.

All the bug gods are that. The implication is that Bolas just grafted the shit on top of the heads of existing gods.

I like Locust's god's head despite that being the case though.

That looks wonderfully silly.

Well you've got two choices. Look silly or look inauthentic. They chose the first.

I always wanted to build BUG Sidisi, seems neat. The best is probably Karador or Meren.

>Who's the best graveyard commander?
Probably Karador for his colors and ability
>fun
Alesha looks pretty dang fun.
>Favorite
Meren because she's the only grave deck I own.

Meren, Mimeoplasm, Mimeoplasm. In that order

>Who's the best graveyard commander? Most fun? Your favorite?
meren is my baby and a better waifu that atraxa

Wanna build either a mathas deck or a queen deck. Help me choose, i feel clueless.

Marchesa with Mathas in the 99.

What's the benefit of Mathas? Apply a counter once per turn that draws everyone a card when the thing dies. What's the benefit of Marchesa? Draw a card once per turn. Seems to me like a much more direct way to get to the same goal.

I've got Mathas with Marchesa in the 99.

that sounds fair. thanks

If I copy a dragon with scion of the ur-dragon, then after it resolves, use mirror of the forebears onto the scion which is now a copy, it will become a copy of the copy or of the scion?

If it's resolved, then Scion is a copy of the creature. Not "Scion copying the creature," for all intents and purposes it IS that creature.

If I were to tap an artifact for improvise, then sacrifice it, does it still count towards the cost? Or does the artifact still need to be on the battlefield?

You pay the cost all at once. Once you've tapped your artifacts and paid your mana then Whir of Invention is on the stack and if you sac the artifact you imrpovised with then it will have no effect on the spell you just cast. After the cost is paid it is paid and the spell cannot be uncast.

I don't think you have the opportunity to sac anything between when you have to improvise and when Whir resolves.

Did I make an interesting Boros commander?

>MTGO
So how is it playing with that extremely outdated, unkept, unstable and bug-ridden piece of shit?

shit, i just realized he should be an artificer. Ignore my custom card autism then I just wanted to see if I could do wizard's job better than them.

You might. You have things like Eye of Ramos.

>playing mono red
>complaining about unfair games
Hmmm

Improvise is a way of paying for the spell to cast it. You pay costs before the spell is put onto the stack, and the spell effects only happen once it resolves.
There is plenty of opportunity to do anything instant speed inbetween those two events, that's how and why counterspells work.
But, if is asking if they can tapan artifact to pay for improvise, then sac it to somehow make more mana to also pay for the spell, then no that's now how it works and they cannot do that.
They can tap an artifact to pay for improvise, then sac the artifact for some other effect, but not to generate mana to also pay for the spell.
Spell payments have to be made all at once and cannot be un-paid.

So I wouldn't be able to tap it for improvise then sac to KCI for 2 extra mañas?

Feels okay. Cards are cheap, community is lively and I don't have to deal with people in person.

Oh yeah, the colors really had a huge impact there.

Nope. Same as with for example Chord of Calling and Eldrazi Spawns/Scions.

Sadly nope.

You could, but only after you already pay the rest of the spell's cost. Then you would only be able to spend the mana from sacrificing the artifact on something else and not on the spell with improvise.

Understandable, have a nice day.

way to deflect bro

here
Don't get me wrong, I totally agree that fast mana is a pretty shit thing that's allowed to exist. It is really stupid that just because of pure luck (or manipulative deck shuffling) one or more players can get 2-4 or more turns ahead on mana production. Not to mention fast mana also takes up a number of deck slots in literally every deck ever because of its very existence.
I'd love to see mana rocks that make as much or more mana than they cost to play were banned, but they won't because the group that make the banlist are a bunch of self-circle-jerking idiots that only ban or unban based on their personal feelings and opinions instead of based on the community as a whole or on the health of the format.

tl;dr I do want Sol Ring / Mana Crypt / Mana Vault / etc banned. I was just also making a point that MTGO is complete shit.

Is Progenitus the spiciest card you can put in Ramos?

Dude the normal gods are like that too. Kefnet and his humanoid body with a stalky bird neck is fucking freaky looking

What makes fast mana rocks different from other forms of ramp though?

They're significantly more efficient. Even green doesn't have ramp as efficient as Sol ring or Mana Crypt.

Exploration at least uses cards.

>Who's the best graveyard commander?
Probably Tasigur, if he counts. If not, I'd say Meren
>Most fun?
Dralnu is fucking rad
>Your favorite?
Alesha, gotta be

I mean, this exists.

The spiciest is Transguild Courier.

What the fuck, was there always a dude holding that apparatus in that picture? For some reason I always jsut saw it as that warphole on a grey background or something. I think I slipped from another timeline into Berenstine Bears universe or something.

Maybe this picture is the other side of the wormhole?

I'm getting very mixed messages from everyone so hopefully I'll get a final answer here: does Quicksilver Elemental allow Mairsil to use caged abilities more than once a turn?

a judge that works at WOTC confirmed no

Thank you.

Shiffrin confirmed no. Word of Rules Manager.

The Mirror will copy Scion as it exists in layer 1, meaning it picks up Scion's copy effect, and will be a copy of THAT.

>You pay the cost all at once.
That's not quite correct. You pay costs in any order.

Here's the thing: Monarch can be stolen, so when you have the benefit of Marchesa, everyone is gunning to at least poke you. On the other hand, Mathas pays off to everyone but your selected victim each turn, meaning that if you don't off the bountied creature yourself immediately, everyone else who wants a card is gunning for somebody who isn't you.

> You pay costs before the spell is put onto the stack
Wrong. Putting a spell onto the stack is the literal first step of casting a spell. Paying costs is the last.

The 'normal' gods have a humanoid body and then a non-humanoid head.

The equivalent here would be if Kefnet's "head" was literally an entire crane, body and all.

Once PER Quicksilver Elemental activation. So in a roundabout way, yes, but "does one Quicksilver activation give me limit-free activations", no.

That seems fairly insane. Quicksilver Elemental should get him at least one extra shot of each ability, including its own, similar to how if you were to cage Prodigal Pyromancer, Prodigal Sorcerer, and Hermit crab you could ping twice. Link to the RM statement so I can be sure it's not just "One use of Quicksilver does not grant unlimited shots"?

very excited to use this boy.

In the same vein though, it's not hard to build Marchesa to protect yourself from getting hit (and in fact, getting Monarch stolen gives you something to either steal it back with OR help defend it via her trigger). With Mathias, good luck stopping your opponents from benefiting.

And also, Marchesa MIGHT draw all your opponents 1 card for each card you get, if they poke each other in turn order for the Monarchy. Mathias ensures that your opponents are drawing N-1 cards (where N is the number of opponents) between them to your 1 each time. That's lopsided against you.

>Extract from Darkness doesn't mention target
Good enough for Scrub God?

The latter.

If Mairsil had Quicksilver, Prodigal Pyromancer, and Prodigal Sorcerer exiled, he has three abilities that you can activate once per turn.

If you Quicksilver him, he'll get an additional 'copy' of each of those three, also with the once-per-turn restriction.

It doesn't give an extra shot of each ability, it gives each ability again. So Mairsil has a caged Gilded Lotus, Knacksaw Clique, and Quicksilver Elemental, it has "{T}: Add three mana of any one color to your mana pool," "{1}{U}, {Q}: Target opponent exiles the top card of his or her library. Until end of turn, you may play that card," and "{U}: [Mairsil the Pretender] gains all activated abilities of target creature until end of turn." When you activate the Quicksilver ability, now it has all of those abilities twice, and you can't activate the first Quicksilver ability a second time. It still goes infinite but the loop takes more steps since you have to activate Quicksilver Elemental for each one.

Daily reminder that budgetfags are the worst.

Nah- people who have to build on a budget are fine, it's the people who just post a half-formed list, go "ADVICE PLZ" and then every card over 50 cents they don't already own is met with "That's too expensive".

Having a budget is fine. Asking someone else to build you a deck on a budget you never told them is not.

People are randomly going to die to him all the time because no one cares about cats enough to think they'll die to them.

The appropriate budget is $100-200 dollars for a single deck, unless you're practicing an exercise in ultrabudget like Edric, or decided that you're worth something more you're not.

Build me a deck that costs 20$ with shipping please

Honestly if you're working on an extreme budget that's not a terrible start.

Yeah, obviously it'd be better with a hot mess of fetches and shocks, but it's not a terrible place to start.

That's not being a budgetfag, that's being a fucking cheapskate, a decent manabase doesn't cost that much, a bunch of pains and checks doesn't measure up to ABUR duals and fetches but it's more than fine if all you want is for the deck to function.

like it is literally less than 15 dollars away from being passable just add some panoramas, krosan verge, and maybe a couple tango lands/ check lands

I run it in Lazav and it puts in work

If you are playing on a budget do mono color, land base is $, trying to run 2 or 3 color in a budget is just stupid, its like complaining someone owns a ferrari but you want your hyundai to go just as fast for the same price, there are plenty of decent mono commanders

>add some panoramas
Nigger what.

>Have 5 new cards for a deck
>Do a pair of cuts, check how many cards I have left
>104
Worst feel. How do you guys go around cuts?

What the fuck are you on about? 2 color is extremely easy on a budget.

I usually start cutting redundancies.

When it's down to a couple cards, just sort your deck out by cmc and cut to make the curve even out.

if i'm optimizing for power, i'll cut the worst cards

if i'm optimizing for fun, i'll cut the most goodstuffy boring cards

nah 150-250 is the sweet spot, usually start around 1150 and work my way up to 250 over the course of like 3 months

>trying to run 2 or 3 color in a budget is just stupid
Painlands, checklands, battle lands, fast lands, temples, Tainted X if in black, Sigil, Talisman if allied. Congrats, it costs 20 dollars and you have a mana base.

Landbase costs:

>5c: $$$$$$$$$$
>4c: $$$$$$$$$
>3c: $$$$$$$
>2c: $$
>1c: S

honestly all that list needs is to replace a few things with some pain lands and some shock lands. i honestly dont know why all the pain lands and shock lands are not reprinted in every single commander product

Correction,
>5c: 元

For shocklands it's because it'd make the decks hard to buy. Most of them are still in the ~10-15 range after the last reprint, so if I could get, for example, a Watery Grave, a Blood Crypt, and a Steam Vents for 35 dollars buy buying a Grixis Commander deck, I would. It'd be the TNN thing all over again, where the people who actually want the product for itself can't find it because other people are buying it to gut for singles that exceed the MSRP they pay.q

Stocks are Modern staples. Even if the market is flooded with supply, Modern players are willing to pay more than EDH players, and the decks will be snatched, the supply will be restricted, and they'll be scalped. The price will never go down to what it should be.

yeah they need to print shocklands except they need to say "this only works if you have 2 or more opponents :^)"

Ol dogface cattits here really tickles my pickle. Going to build a semi voltron shitpile out of the cat deck and a Nahiri deck I found for cheap. Glare of Subdual is going in, along with that chick that lets tapped creatures block., Is there anything else that's an auto include that I'm not thinking of?

>BFZ dual lands with basic types
>Ally check lands
>Enemy Painlands
Done. That's like what, maybe under 30 bucks?

I dunno if I'd put in a slot for Masako. Like, I get that you don't want global Vigilance because you need Mirri tapped, but I think putting in a few ways to tap her for value (like Presence of Gond, or Glare of Subdual as you said) and Vigilance stuff is better than "your tapped guys can block".

just print more then. if people are buying them then keep selling them. the prices are only high because wizards doesnt print them enough

Do you really want to hurt investors feelings user ? :(

Sidisi, Undead Vizier
Skirge Familiar
Ad Nauseam
97 Swamp

Exsanguinate?

To avoid all the craziness, couldn't you just not cage Quicksilver? If Mairsil has the activated abilities of each caged card but can only use them once per turn and a Quicksilver on the battlefield uses its ability to gain all of those activated abilities, it wouldn't be gaining Mairsil's "once per turn text", right? That isn't an activated ability.

95 Swamps, Spellbook and Exsanguinate in addition to prior nonlands, sorry.

The problem is that still takes some time for the market to get 'flooded' enough for the people who want the product to be able to get it- maybe weeks later, if not months. And you also have the issue you had with TNN at first, where stores are loathe to order more, because they come as a 'set' (so they can't just order the one box that's selling out), leading to the Grixis deck selling out as soon as the box is opened, but 200 of the Boros one rotting on the shelf.

>Sidisi
4 bucks
>Skirge
2 bucks
>Ad Nauseum
9 bucks
>Exsanguinate
2 bucks

Hope shipping is less than 3 dollars

Dolmen Gate? Bow of Nylea? New Odric?