/sfg/ - Starfinder General

Xenoseeker Edition

How interested are you in the discovery of alien lifeforms? Will you be preparing any aliens of your own to be found?

Pastebin - pastebin.com/6HjrnNZG

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!cnxVHQpK!2tHhVXCabl5sgB5mEbKB5Wdu1VRDnA4GDTXHnPlHeMY
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/print/B1R5rQ6PW
youtu.be/S7bkdvAVdIM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Path and Star are different games you shitbiscuit.

Space is a lot more open for weird races and stuff than fantasy is, oddly. Gonna be fun to see what comes up.

That's why it's Paizo you as you obviously lack the attention span to read the title of a thread, let your shitty pathfinder in space game die like it deserves

Oh yeah, just like Warhammer Fantasy and 40k should be in one thread too, because they're by the same company!

This. I just clicked on the thread because of the OP image, but now I'm defending a shitty system from a shitty troll. Go complain in ever single GW thread or get lost.

They're also cluttering with multiple /sfg/ threads for no reason

Clearly they weren't aware this one existed.

Also, don't say 'they' like it's a homogenous mass.

>Either one person made two threads or two people made one thread a piece
>Don't say 'they' despite the fact it's the less malicious assumption

So what 3pp you guys looking forward too? Its only been a day, but some fun stuff has already been released, with promise of even more.

Oh yeah, Owen was using his position as a Paizo dev to have his 3pp stuff ready on day 1.

Did that actually come out?

OP of that one, it was a genuine mistake on my part.

/pgg/ is fucking cancer and we want to avoid it like the plague.

So... Is there any hope with the basic mechanics being multipliers like they are?

No. Not even a preorder. I want my kitsune and catfolk so I can make my Starfox dreams real. Their website doesn't even have the book.

i calculated the DPR of 2 types of drones up to lvl 6 for you guys.

Now give us the AC comparison of creatures CR1/2 through CR 6 or 8 so we can actually see what the numbers MEAN.

>How interested are you in the discovery of alien lifeforms? Will you be preparing any aliens of your own to be found?
I WANT TO EXPLORE SPACE TO FIND NEW SPECIES OF SPACE BABES SO I CAN TAP DAT ASS OF AS MANY SPECIES AS POSSIBLE

>AC comparison of creatures CR1/2 through CR 6 or 8
creatures of the same cr have different EAC, my intellectually challenged friend. the "vs EAC" column is a good as youre gonna get

Space booty does have a kind of gravity to it, doesn't it?

Anyone else ordered the core rulebook off Amazon.ca_ and got royally fucked?

Says they won't ship anything until October 2nd. I've had my preorder for a month now.

Mimics in space – the next frontier of GM fuckery

If your job in combat is to hit enemies and hit them hard, I dare say prioritizing that ability score is a good idea.

Starfinder uses 1:1 point-buy, so if you begin at 1st-level as a melee soldier or a melee solarian, you lose little for prioritizing your main offense ability score.

Being flat-footed confers only -2 AC, and charging an enemy imposes -2 AC and -2 attack, so it is not as though you will regularly be hitting on a 2+ even with a maxed-out main attack ability score.

Well, at least you've got access to the pdf, right?

Last thread it was said that "combatant" creatures have an EAC of approximately 10+1.5*CR, so the level 1 drones would need to hit 11, level 3 would need to hit 14, and level 6 would 19. But that's not noting that parties would be fighting groups of slightly lower CR creatures for many encounters.

Before people inevitably ask, Dead Suns AP #1 details:

Dump starts here: (Cross-thread) (Cross-thread)
Or download here: mega.nz/#!cnxVHQpK!2tHhVXCabl5sgB5mEbKB5Wdu1VRDnA4GDTXHnPlHeMY

And you're sure of this mysterious math, user? Sure enough to bank on it?

Best faction coming through, step aside Augmented scum

Nope, their servers are all fucked right now. I'm skimming the /pgg/ archive for spoilers to entertain myself until they get their shit together

Heads up, the pastebin in OP has a links to a PDF. Probably a bit easier to navigate than the /pgg/ archives.

Because everyone is trying to download the PDF at once. Happens every time a major book comes out.

It matches every combatant-type creature in both First Contact and what we've got of Dead Suns. It's never been off by more than 1 so far.

>that fucking FAQ

Apparently ships can't just turn systems off and on. You have to re-wire and re-program things just to just drop power from, say, the forward lasers to the rear ones.

Are there any themes that you think should be covered not included in the CRB? Themeless is nice and all, but I think there should be some distinct theme to cover military professionals that serve by duty rather than contract. Something that covers the range from graduated officers to simple street cops.

Yeah, that kinda sucks.

Like, even as an Engineering action, you should be able to do that midfight.

Alright, since I got a nibble last thread:

The PbP I'm thinking of running is a mission-based thing. Bounty board, ground/space as preferred. Basic plot is that you guys are fresh out of prison, on a kind of work-release (still trying to figure out the little details here, I rarely get to write anything in base setting). Your boss is the owner of the starship you live on for now.

Earning your full release is as simple as earning him enough to pay off your bonds... but that isn't cheap. You need to both finish the mission and earn a reputation in order to find better jobs, or you'll be stuck on this junker for longer than your term would have been.

Standard point-buy, I'll be running the rules as close to RAW as will be functional since I need system experience. Basically, I'll fix major rules holes and apply FAQs, but no houserules to buff classes and such. Players need to be able to work together, and need to note in their backstory just what had them in prison in the first place.

I'll put together the MW subforum probably today, and link it here. Going to be busy at work for a week or two, so apps will go that long.

Yeah, I like themes as an idea, but I'm not fond of the ones we have now.

Also, the 'do X thing to regain Resolve' things would be nice BEFORE LEVEL 18.

And why do almost all of them involve like 10 minutes of 'sit around and do nothing'?

Because that's the default Stamina-recovery thing. Those actions are for when the party needs to recover but you don't

>Space booty does have a kind of gravity to it, doesn't it?
why do you think we want to explore and travel the stars so badly?!
>knowledge and human achievement
lol
GIMME ALIEN SPACE WAIFUS

>MW subforum
whats that?
also im interested
what time and days?

Engineering action I can totally see.
But "It can't be done, you'd have to re-wire things"?

What happened to the... not even the future, the fucking present?

My livingroom is very, very old (the whole apartment building is from the 40s) and I can't use the TV+consoles at the same time as the projector (which is hooked to the PC for when we're watching movies at night)

So I have this toggling device... on these... bars of power, where by depressing one, it stops glowing red, and depressing the other makes it glow red, allowing me to use the two sets of devices separately.

That's like, one action, tops. Power off, power on, no trip to the basement.

>though most androids voluntarily release their bodies after a century or so to allow new souls to inhabit them.

>Most

So androids as a species usually just give up on living after a hundred years? The hell's that about?

POST MORE SPACE BABES

>So androids as a species usually just give up on living after a hundred years? The hell's that about?
who cares, i just ignore any part of fluff i think is dumb. they could have just said that their brains start to go crazy from epic amount of disk fragmentation or something so they choose to off themselves b4 it gets to that point

What are some good uses for personal computers?

It's a tradition you see. They want to be acknowledged as people and not as tools, so they embrace death rather than destruction by releasing themselves when the time is up, that future generations of androids aren't thought of as deathless and thus lifeless.

It's a website that does play-by-post stuff. Myth Weavers is the name. Probably not going to be set times, just post as you go.

youre in prison posting from a secret phone, arent you.

damn
this looks fucking awesome

whoops forgot pic

I can't wait until we get an undead PC race!

[Sobbing]

so does the penetrating quality on some weapons, defeat DR? or just hardness? they are the same thing right?

>I need something more powerful than aasimar and tieflings to play!!!!!!
I'm GLAD you won't get your undead race, fucker.

they are not the same thing at all. Hardness is something objects have. DR is something creatures have. Energy doesn't bypass hardness (halves it though, except sonic with goesthrough), but bypasses DR.

Has anyone playtested the exocortex mechanic yet? I've heard some bad things about it but I can't understand the problem just on my read.

Judge hardness. They mostly function the same way but the distinction is there prevent abilities like penetrating from getting through DR.

The prominence of Eox in the first AP probably means you'll be getting an undead PC race.

Hell, the first book gives you two Undead templates!

>Implying I want powerful things rather than just being cool

Son, I don't even know what to say to you.

androids are kinda similar,
they dont breathe
dont eat
dont die to poison and stuff
made of inanimate matter, kinda

lame, so the penetrating quality is just kinda... shit useless...

OK

Space Undead campaign fucking when.

Nah, just a busy job and a family.

It would be a bad idea, since undead have so many immunities it really wouldn't be fair to everyone else. Paizo made an ostensibly playable construct race for Pathfinder though, one that doesn't even have any fluff, so clearly they don't care.

That's true for all forms of DnD. That's why e6 exists.
pretty sure that's actually a male dark templar

Starfinder default party size is 5

The best thing Paizo could do would be to create a subtype like the "living construct" for 3.5's Warforged, where it takes away most of the immunities but also the biggest downsides (a PC being destroyed at 0 hp would be a problem).

I believe you but I want the source for reference.

Encounter guide

It makes sense if you squint and handwave a little. Space makes basic engineering hard again.

Consider that radiator efficiency is tightly linked to the default level of thermal output they are built for, and thus to a certain power level.

Unless you want to cripple power efficiency, you'll need one set of radiators for the drive, one for life support, and probably one for any high-energy weapons, because these output high/low/medium amounts of heat respectively.

>crafting rules are only there for you be able to repair something in half the time and a slightly higher hardness
>no rules there for modding or making custom gear
>No rules for making drugs and the listed drugs are boring and not very interesting.
>Making explosives are tied to what kind of grenades you can get so its very well possible that you won't be able to breach a wooden wall down unless till level 8 or 10 unless you use more then one bomb.

Its like they wanted to have a si-fi setting but didn't want to put any of the work on on the tech part

You're talking about maximum cost/weight/power effectiveness scenarios under today's technologies for the ISS. Where every last milliamp has to be perfectly accounted for lest everybody bloody dies.

A ship, car, even aircraft can turn systems on and off to handle things as needed the same way no problem in mere moments because they're not restricted by having had to skimp on every gram and put together using entirely different engineering methods from multiple different countries.

The ISS makes the millenium-falcon look like it was made with purely standard parts.

No, I'm talking about the physical laws of the other end of the scale, just below torch ships. GW range drives, MW range weapons...kW ecological systems.

Oy, made some changes to my class houserules.

I think the Solarian changes are pretty fun and allow for more build versatility. CHA+DEX to AC allow players to focus more on their main stat and changing the big choice of the class to customization of the Solar Weapon makes it feel more engaging I think.

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/print/B1R5rQ6PW

Except to be able to run off the same core in the first place, those GW weapons are doing so by feeding capacitor banks that accumulate the required charge off that MW reactor. Unless it's built retardedly you can just cut the power to it. How long before it's safe to touch them and how long they need to warm back up if you did pull the plug are an entirely different story of course, but we can kill the mains for an entire block of an industrial sector and turn it back on an hour later with just a couple of relays opened and closed up. In fact, in the last few years I used to do that, it was just one computer-controlled relay and I was doing it from a two and a half hour drive away. Didn't even need a guy on the ground to flip the breakers anymore.

And life support? You can turn an individual air pump on and off. You can turn the lights in the grow-op on and off.

If the ships require such individual radiators then it WOULD NOT be possible to just activate/deactivate things with just a bit of re-wiring and programming as they claim we can do outside combat. Powering or de-powering any system would require significant - and not simple at all - work done.

What they are explaining here is quite clearly idiocy on the level of having to unplug a couple of extensions from one end of the ship and plugging'em somewhere else and recalibrating the system for the new loads.

Do we have a thing like the Types and Subtypes page for Starfinder yet?

Like a default set of things that creatures get for having a type?

something something game balance something something ?

How many hours of playtesting do you have for these "rules"?

How broken/stable is Starfinder in comparison to pathfinder?

I mean, just like androids aren't broken anymore in a setting with hacking vulnerabilities, I don't think an undead race would be too awful given their weakness to control undead style spells.

Just don't give them much beyond the immunities and they're fine.

Better. Far as I can tell.

Some shenanigans here and there, but not bad overall.

Shit that's broken is broken for everyone I think, like piloting.

This is basically my thinking with robots.

The ones I'm working on only get immunity to poison, diseases, drugs, and medicine. And the vacuum of space I guess.

They do get 50% magical healing, since they're kiiiinda close to living things with how stuff like they're designed. And if a mystic can fix a guy who's replaced all his limbs and half his organs with robot parts, then he can fix a robot at least a little bit if they're close enough. Likewise, if a dude can exhaust that guy with magic, he can exhaust a robot. At least this kind of robot.

Then they've got that upgrade slot inherited from androids, and a built-in comm unit.

BUT THAT'S A STAPLE OF THE SCI-FI GENRE
"REDIRECT POWER FROM PHASERS TO THE DEFLECTOR SHIELD, BRACE FOR IMPACT"
"REDIRECT ALL POWER TO MAIN THRUSTERS, GET US OUT OF HERE MR DATA"
"AUXILIARY POWER TO LIFE SUPPORT"

IT'S LIKE HALF THE STRATEGY INVOLVED WHEN PLAYING ARTEMIS

PAIZO WHY ARE YOU SO RELIABLY BAD

I'm going to play my first PnP game and wanted to make a guy who's basically just Laguna Loire or Soldier 76.

Basically just a guy with a machine gun who's good at pumping out lots of bullets, rather than being a straight up sniper.

Where should I start?

Would Starfinder work to run a Masters of the Universe or Skeleton Warriors style game? Something that's like a cheesy sci-fantasy high adventure toy commercial?

Anything like tech or how crafting and making things is really shit the rest seems to be middling at best

Sounds like a Human Soldier with a gun that has the auto quality!

FTL too.

Honestly? That'll probably be the easiest way to run Starfinder.

That's what I saw when I first saw Numeria. Now we get to bring it to space! Thindercats hooooo!

Bullshit. A true hero never gives up on protecting the innocent and defeating the wicked! Suicide is the recourse of cowards and the mentally ill.

I mean, the way they fluffed Androids in this game, you could ostensibly play an Android that's nearly indistinguishable from a robot. They mention that some maintain humanoid appearance, some might mimic the dominant species of the planet they were forged on, and others might alter their appearance extensively to resemble nothing else known. If my group decides to run a Starfinder game, I plan to play an android that basically got himself augmented piece by piece on Aballon until he was basically a techno-organic nervous system encased in a robot body, so he's mechanically the same as an android from a play perspective and could still be susceptible to disease and such as well as house a soul, but just to look at him you'd think he was just a really advanced robot.

Yeah, they kind of screwed the pooch by not giving us a fully robotic race, especially considering they name one specifically in the lore, but this is Paizo. I expect a ridiculous amount of expansions, and I'd be surprised if there isn't a player companion or entire splatbook that's dedicated to nothing but robotics, technology and technomancy with multiple robotic racial options, extra archetypes for robots and other such associated stuff. For a starter book they gave us a good set of bones to work with that can easily be re-jiggered to emulate what we want to do with our character.

Heroes are less than men.

That was my first thought, but looking at the equipment section makes me fear it'll be more like pretty much every other rpg out there where no one really is a unique hero guy and just loads up on a homogeneous spread of gear/weapons/armor

Every day we stray further from Sarenrae's light.

I want to cum inside Sarenrae!

Canonically she doesn't give a shit about us anymore anyway. None of the gods do.

Abadar gives a shit!

Two sessions with, two sessions without. Total 16 hours I guess. Wanna help me out anonbro?

Speaking of which, have I missed something or are there no healing spells in Starfinder?

Did you say

Skeleton Warriors?

youtu.be/S7bkdvAVdIM

Only if you pay for it.

The gods don't listen or help anymore, no clerics no nothing.

Cool. That's what I thought.

Mystic Cure.

Sure why not

Magic healing from raping it's energy with technology isn't the same as the gods helping.

Mystic Cure is a thing and it's fucking amazing.