/tgesg/ - Weekend Elder Scrolls General

Heroes Edition

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[UESRPG - P&P RPG] docs.google.com/document/d/1pTgTN2aJUoY95JtquowagfUJLL7tCQYhzJKcCAcbvio/edit?usp=sharing
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))

And by popular* request:
[TES 5E Conversion] uestrpg.wixsite.com/home

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
This is NOT /tesg/ minus waifus, so behave properly.
Keep the squabbling to a minimum.
No waifus/husbandos

*"Popular" = one guy keeps asking about it.

Previous kalpa:

Other urls found in this thread:

en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Fav'te's_War_Of_Betony
en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:War_of_Betony#The_War_of_Betony
en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Newgate's_War_Of_Betony
en.uesp.net/wiki/Books:The_Daggerfall_Chronicles/Narrative#The_Battle_of_Cryngaine_Field
youtu.be/FS2SjqpEQtQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why the fuck is ghostfence around this small mountain and no the big one on this image?

Snow throat is bigger than red mountain user

Direnni Tower is still the shittest tower.

Snowthroat is tall as fuck

But Morrowind is east of Skyrim, not west.

Can someone explain to me beliefs about the afterlife regarding each culture? So far I only know about Nords and Sovengarde and how worshippers of daedra usually wind up in their respective realms of Oblivion. How do people like the Imperials and Altmer view the afterlife?

Argonians get recycled through the hist

Redguards go to The Far Shores

Going by Skyrim Nords are a huge fucking mess.

Maybe you go to Sovngarde, and then.... not sure. Maybe you wander around pointlessly, maybe you get into that hall, didn't seem like many did. Neither seemed particularly rewarding either way. You also don't do anything there even though you could until some mortal guy triggers your plot flag. You might also not go there and turn into special metal. Or you turn into a ghost but stay in Mundus, or you turn into 50 other variants of undead, mostly Draugr.

Most of the other human races just go to their respective Aedra I think, though there's of course any daedra worshippers or any lycanthropy infected that go to their respective princes plane of oblivion.

Also Dunmer are just.... around. Like Uncle Bob is still around as a ghost, and he will get mad if someone hurts you.

Arent Draugr more or less reanimated bodies, simply bound to protect the tombs

I wrote this spell mishap table for Elder Scrolls spell categories, which you can feel free to ignore. I just thought somebody would find it interesting.

They're the dragon cultists. They aren't soulless husks since they never technically died. But they are insane because they're really old and don't do anything, and attack anyone who isn't their master.

Fun.

>pic unrelated.

Bosmeri language should sound like Portuguese.

Why is that?
And what pic?

Guys, I need that Nerevar bonewalker pic pretty please. The one from Trainwiz

If we ignore the shitfest that is Skyrim, Draugr are basically Ghouls:
>[draugr] Once, they were warriors much like the Skaal. Trapped and hungry on this island, they feasted on the flesh of their fallen comrades, which is a crime against nature. The All-Maker cursed them with undeath, forever doomed to walk the land in search of more of the flesh of man to consume.

Not if we go by its PGE1 interpretation:
>Although it has been much modified and added on to over the years, its core is a smooth cylinder of shining metal; the Tower is believed to extend at least as far beneath the surface as is now visible above, although its deepest bowels have never been systematically explored.

That sounds more like weindigo, don't know if I spelled that right.

Yes, there's a bit of Wendigo in them too.

You'd think Namira would just pick 'em up at that point. Not like other Daedra don't pick up a chosen kind.

Namira is much more than just "muh cannibalism daedra".

It's really dumb how Bethesda didn't actually bother to separate draugr from dragon cultists. I mean, all dragon cultists are draugr, but not all draugr in skyrim should be dragon cultists. It's the same with reachmen and forsworn.

The whole Dragon Cult business feels tacked on, to be quite honest with you senpai.

>Nords
Go to Sovingard and then just... chill out with their heroes until the world ends.

>Argonians
Get their souls recycled by the Hist. Memories are saved and reused in as needed.

>Imperials/Bretons
Go to Aetherius, get reincarnated

>Dunmer
Go to Aetherius, come back to guide your family as needed

>Altmer
Maybe go to aetherius, maybe become a minor god, depends on how hard you smash dat pussi

>Everyone else
No clue

It kind of was and I can see that being either really good or really bad.

On one hand, it kind of exemplifies just how far outside of context the dragons are. Everything from their weaknesses, to their names, to their culture was just purged like some kind of black spot on nord/atmoran history, and all this shit from out of nowhere is the result of that.

On the other hand, it's really stupid that just no one noticed the ancient magic ruins, dozens of prophesies, or ominous looking relics laying around in a world where you can't walk five feet without stumbling onto an evil cult or a lost temple.

>Nords
>Go to Sovingard...
Only those who "die valiantly in honorable combat".

What Skyrim did with them is way more interesting than that.

But also this.

>Khajiit
Sands Behind the Stars. The UESP seems to conflate this with Llesw'er, which, as we all know, was established on the moon.

>What Skyrim did with them is way more interesting than that.
Might be, but it's dumb how they essentially retconned the ghouly draugr in stead of the mummy servant ones.
>Sands Behind the Stars
ESO shit.

Not really. Mummy servants are cooler than cannibal ghouls, and make a heck of a lot more sense as well. It could have been the case that the original legend is just what the Skaal, at the time, believed.

Also who gives a fuck.

ofcourse it's not something that had a precedent in the PGE or bloodmoon, or anything we know about nords and skyrim before TES V, but besides the problem in how it's presented in the game world as mentioned it's really cool. The priests, the masks, the totems, lost history, the old temples being squatted by reachmen, bandits, animals etc.

A wasted opportunity, like most lore in games these days.

Merely a theory.

nope. At least, not in the Morrowind times, when ghost fence was still a thing. Red Mountain was the tallest mountain in all Tamriel until it was destroyed in the Red Year eruption

So what is it that you personally like about the Elder Scrolls universe? What gets you excited about it and draws you in?

For me I think it's how it can be anything you want it to be. Want a simple sword and sorcery fantasy adventure? It's got that. Looking for magitech and sciencey magic? In abundance, with dozens of pages of lore just to speculation and refutation of the mechanics of the world and magic. World of adventure? You can go up to someone and say you're a wandering mercenary with the same casual tone you'd use to say you're a real estate broker and odds are they wouldn't even blink. Hell, there's multiple government subsidized mercenary groups and more monster hunting organizations than you can count. Wanna be a wizard? Fuck that, go be a reality warping demi-god instead. Warrior? Sure, take this glowing spear made out of god magic. Thief? There's multiple gods that exist just to give you the stupid amounts of luck you need to pull of the coolist shit possible. Explorer? There's a ruin or a temple or a lost cave everywhere you look, just waiting to be explored. Just stay home and be comfy? Go for it, there's a snuggly shack, a cozy cottage or a nice town right where you'd hope it be.

Anything you want to do in Tamriel you can, and you can do it in the best way possible. The world is just that flexible.

>Throat of the World
>This is the highest mountain in Skyrim, and the highest in Tamriel aside from Vvardenfell in Morrowind.

If the bosmer are portuguese, would that make colovians spanish and khajiit moroccans?

I mean, you pretty much just listed every reason to like it, so what's left for everyone else to say? Well that and the lore.

The theological depth, or depth comparable to real world religion and occultism.

>PGE1
Huh, did not remember that.I stand corrected then.

Is there any lore detailing the war of Betony? Intrested in it since it has lots of jokes revolving around it in Daggerfall.

en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Fav'te's_War_Of_Betony
en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:War_of_Betony#The_War_of_Betony
en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Newgate's_War_Of_Betony
en.uesp.net/wiki/Books:The_Daggerfall_Chronicles/Narrative#The_Battle_of_Cryngaine_Field

There's a shitton of info on it in Daggerfall proper.
These are pretty much the essentials.

Give me a character idea for Morrowind. I'm a veteran player who has completed (every quest done, every dungeon, full map etc.) game several times, so hit me with your best shot.

Nord wiseman
Try to make Thuum in morrowind

I don't mind that at all.

What are some of your speculations and headcanons?
For exampe, what is house Sadras like?

I've always imagined it taking Hlaalu's niche, managing a lot of the ebony and kwama mining operations but with much stronger ties to Blacklight.

More Daggerfall Unity stuff:
youtu.be/FS2SjqpEQtQ

>what is house Sadras like
It's just House Mora again, I hope.

Makes sense, since the colovians are the western, slightly more uncivilized but also way more combative part of the Empire, the khajiit live in a desert and that would make the bretons fit more as france/england.

If you could live in third era Vvanderfell as native dunmer commoner what would you do?
I personally think that being silt strider caravaner would be pretty cool.

No, but if I was an Argonian commoner I would. With all the submerged mines and shipwrecks around Vvardenfell you could get hilariously rich through careful diving.

I hope you enjoy being robbed and mugged to death by the Tong.

I like what said. Perhaps Sadras began as a coalition of a few particularly industrious Ashlander tribes ("SA" "DR", and "AS" perhaps being relevant here). These tribes benefited from the natural resources of their ancestral home. Agriculturally skilled with regards to the sustainable egg mining, they simultaneously benefited from the occasional vein of raw ebony said to marble the kwama tunnels.

The origins of this alliance of clans can be traced to the wilder areas of west Vvardenfell. Correctly predicting the spread of House Hlaalu, these original clans banded together and were willing to provide an offer that the imperialistic Great House could not resist. Sadras essentially sued for peace before any great effort had to be taken on Hlaalu's part. The minor House offered a generous tithe of eggs and ebony to their benefactor in exchange for greater operational freedoms and a retaining of certain Ashlander practices; Hlaalu, perhaps in an effort to demonstrate a certain diplomatic savvy to their Imperial trade partners, accepted.
Thus began what would become one of Morrowind's more influential Great Houses.

>pic related is their banner - a kwama egg overtop three bonded ebony ingots

It's a critical plot point of Daggerfall, forming the backdrop for the setting, which is why it's written about so much in books from that game.

Speaking of Daggerfall, here's a fun fact. According to FACTIONS.TXT, Lord Bridwell is a Redguard. I wonder if that's a mistake, or if it's intentional.

why isn't martin septim treated the same way as saint al-esh since he reforged the covenant and rendered the amulet of kings irrelevant

That's a good question, user.
I'd never even thought of it, but now I need to know.

Is Kirkbride's fluff canon?

go to deviantart, find something funny and post it here

Dark elves can't swim, user.

He is?

Canon is completely subjective.

I'm actually having a hard time finding something that's so bad it's good.
Lots of fairly decent art here, with some really good stuff here and there.

I don't doubt that there's real shit out there, I just can't find it.

I tend to disregard or ignore his fluff considering his shaky relationship with Bethesda and how absurd it is at times, like some fanfic from a teenager who watched too much anime and thinks it's the best thing ever. If you want to consider his stuff canon then go ahead.

It's more like someone who read too much Crowley and comic books.

There's so many books in all the games after Daggerfall based on its events and even questlines, too.

During Daggerfall you help Prince Lhotun of Sentinel discover the grisly fate of his oldest brother, and the book Night Falls On Sentinel is the tale of an assassin hired by then King Lhotun to track down the last of the people responsible for it.

You also help Morgiah become Queen of Firsthold, and later on we get a book called "The Firsthold Revolt" detailing an event under her rule.

"How Orsinium Passed to the Orcs" also fleshed out Gortwog's story, though it takes place before the events of Daggerfall itself.

"The Warp in the West" is another example, I guess.

Most of these books were written by Peterson, to no one's surprise. Having written most of the stuff for the War of Betony for Daggerfall in the first place, he knew which character and plot threads to pick back up come Morrowind.

Depends on the text. Some are some aren't.
That's why they strike when you sleep. Even Argonians don't sleep in water.
That's what Kirkbride wants you to believe. Truth is that there must be a canon or otherwise Bethesda couldn't make consistent sequels. Still, it's obviously very loose because consistency is what it is and Beth has never revealed what they consider canon.

>Bethesda couldn't make consistent sequels
And they don't.

he isn't treated in the same breadth by the literature like al-esh is. I mean, he didn't single-handedly create the Empire, but still, the lack of mystical texts and religious references for alessia 2.0 is weird.

yes. there's nothing to suggest otherwise the way the elder scrolls developers treats his OOG work

>Actually wanting to live in Vvardenfell
haha no thanks

>Truth is that there must be a canon or otherwise Bethesda couldn't make consistent sequels.
So what you're saying is there isn't a canon.

Maybe not that weird, if you consider Thalmor and their efforts suppress certain parts of human history and religion.

you're not trying hard enough, check this

So can Talos be a Khajiit? :3

>Where a hundred small kingdoms once squabbled over territory and resources, today, just two decades after the Miracle, there are just five left in High Rock

What would be the strength of a united high rock?

During the Three Banners War, High Rock was the main body of the Daggerfall Covenant, with an infamously pervasive spy network. Taking into account how upper and upper middle class Bretons find almost any excuse to go QUEST for GREAT JUSTICE and how pervasive knight culture is in Breton society, a fully unified High Rock would be decently powerful. Whether or not it could stand up to the Legion of the Septim Empire is debatable, but if it reclaimed the kind of power it had during the events of ESO, it'd certainly be a hard target.

>Three Banners War
Discarded.

I have yet to get a valid explanation for why some people refuse to acknowledge ESO, except for citing things that happened at launch or memes. It's no more lore breaking than Skyrim or Oblivion was.

>It's no more lore breaking than Skyrim or Oblivion was
>this is what ESOfags actually believe

Oblivion re-wrote the setting so drastically it required an entirely new scripture to be written just to explain why it looked so drastically from how it had been described in Morrowind, in addition to removing any major traits of the Nibenese and Colovians and making the Imperial City a circular street with some crates.

Skyrim shoehorned in a massive amount of backstory and lore for the original Atmoran settlers that came totally out of the blue, failed to even attempt to explain why no one even acknowledged the existence of the Dragon Cult before, had peopled outright stating that they thought dragons were myths despite the fact that multiple dragons have been in service to the Empire, had more say they thought dragons would never return despite there being multiple alive in the 3rd era, retconned the creation of draugr to being part of some overly elaborate form of Egyptian-style service after death,

I don't see how ESO does much worse than that. It's mostly pretty benine, with the worst offenses I can think of being copying the plot of Oblivion, which at least has the justification of not being properly recorded because the times after the fall of the Reman Empire were like a mini-dark age, Ayem starting to weaken before she was supposed to, having an argonian get poisoned, more Dragon Priest memery, and Black Briar Mede showing up a few thousand years early.

this thread is slow as shit, come up with a subject we can discuss
hell, come up with 5

>united high rock
Not really possible. I mean, if we take some of Daggerfall endings separately, a single kingdom (either Daggerfall, Wayrest or Sentinel) used Numidium (which enabled Tiber to forge the continent-spanning Empire back in the days), but even then its conquests were limited by the Iliac Bay region. AND, even then, these endings got mashed together in the end with Numidium being destroyed. Late 3E is probably the closest High Rock can get to being united - both the local landscape and culture heavily favors balcanization.
Even the Direnni Hegemony didn't last more than ~150 years.

>Nature of souls returned to the Hist
>The Soul Trade
>Motives of the College of Whispers outside of their stated goal of "Bully the Synod"
>What becoming one of the "shadows of luck" once a Nightingale's period of service ends actually entails
>touch fully tail or hug scaly tail

It seems like the developers put things in the game without thinking about 'why' first. They make something "deep and cool" that comes off as shallow or more breaking because they only thought of 'why' after the fact.
It tries too hard to shoehorn in references to the mainline games every 10 steps. Which wouldn't be that bad if it wasn't 1000 years in the past. A large premise of the game, the 3 Banner War, was just a shallow attempt at making the game like World of Warcraft with little thought put into the reasons why. It attempts to remove all mystery by showing us things that have only been referenced, but it does so very poorly. A lot of zones I played in had at least one time travel quest, which shouldn't be possible without some major fuckery via an Elder Scroll/Akatosh/Numidium. Meridia's Dawnbreaker is used as a tool to hunt Daedra by the Fighter's Guild, for some reason.
The majority of the content post-launch isn't bad, I'll give it that, but the rest of the game is just plain bad.

Does knight also mean knights (Like picture)?

Knight specifically refers to Sirs with pages and horse and heraldry and armor and all of that.

To start, the very idea of the Alliance War is not only completely dishonest to the setting, but an unbelievably dull and ill-suited premise to begin with.
We are supposed to believe that several realms, to which are supposed to be already suffering from their own internal issues and strife, have decided to 'ally' themselves with their neighboring disparate realms (apparently based on racial lines of all things) whose inhabitants literally despise each other (not just 'oh our people don't trust each other but we can learn to get along' as ESO presents it, but a genuine belief that these "others" as 'less than people,' at best), to arbitrarily claim a powerbase of which has not been relevant beyond its borders for over a century? And all at once, mind you! And the thing is I could go on much further into why the whole premise of this game, and many more of its lesser aspects, make no sense to the established setting.
The idea is so preposterous, it could have never been proposed by someone who had any actual understanding of the existing lore, much less a basic understanding of history.
>It's no more lore breaking than Skyrim or Oblivion was
It's definitely more lore breaking than Skyrim, which, by the, is not any where's near a positive point in its defense.

I'll concede that on surface levels, the Alliances don't make sense and they're definitely more than a little forced, but there is actual effort put into explaining the situations that led to their formation. The orismer, for example, are only working with King Emeric and the Redguards in exchange for territory to rebuild Orsinium.

And it's not as if everyone's getting along perfectly. The Ebonheart Pact almost falls apart multiple times just because everyone hates each other. His coronation consists of the Dunmer ambassador making backhanded comments while complaining about Skyrim. A decent chunk of the Dominion outright hates Ayrenn for forcing her alliance on them, to say nothing of how close she comes to getting outright murdered multiple times for her attempts to form a peaceful alliance. One of High Kinlady Estre's selling points to the conservative altmer was that she would start a race war. There's a Bad End vision you can see during the Reaper's March questline that shows how horribly fragile the whole situation is, and it ends with Ayrenn and Raz being beat to death, the Green Lady exiled and cursing the Dominion, and Summerset overrun by the Veiled Hesitance. The end of the main questline involves the three Aliances outsourcing the task of saving the world to mercenaries because they can't stop arguing long enough.

I guess it ultimately goes back to the problem of putting mechanical design first and then building a setting around that without considering the implications, but it's not impossible to see a way that the Alliances could make sense, especially when the game goes through such pains to make it clear that they're all one bad day from caving in.

As for the issue of time travel without the use of a Elder Scroll or dragon magic, yes that's a plot hole. The Dawnbreaker thing seems like Meridia wants attention and fame, and that's what I assumed Dawnbreaker being temporally given to the Guild was supposed to be.

Pointing out that the alliances have internal strife and "almost fall apart" doesn't remedy fact that the alliances themselves are the issue.
It merely acknowledges that it's nonsensical, and the fact that you know no such inner strife will ever really mean anything (because the central concept of the game requires the alliances), makes it almost comical.
The alliances are forced because they have to be, because it's a fundamentally flawed concept.

It's just bad writing, and I'm sure the developers are aware of this.
Not to speak of the whole trouble of effectively retrofitting a whole new setting into already established ground, with all the inconsistencies this causes.

>The alliances are forced because they have to be

There are MMOs without alliances, like FF14

I think he means the alliances are forced because they wouldn't exiay without being forced, not that they have to exist for the purpose of the game

I'm not saying that the alliances are required because ESO is an MMO, because as you point out MMOs don't need to have alliances, but rather that ESO in and of itself is written in such a way that the alliances are central to the game's setting.
It's not a matter of genre or medium, but of design and writing.

I'm aware that it's a fundementally flawed concept, yes. It's the result of a mechanic being made first with the story being forced to work in spite of, not because of, the game that's been made to frame it. The internal strife, to me at least, is the manner in which the writers chose to communicate how difficult such alliances would be to form, let alone maintain, and it's the best they can do without actively subverting the people doing the mechanical development.

I'm not saying it's flawless and the game's writing does have glaring issues, but to write the entire thing off outright and ignore the places where it can be seen, in my opinion at least, that the writing team actually DID try to make an engaging world is unreasonable. Ignoring the good parts of the game and focusing exclusively on the flawed framing device for the setting is just as bad as cherry picking only the few (and I do mean few) well-written NPCs and saying ESO is a masterpiece of character design. Which, for those of you who haven't played it, it is not. Holy shit the VA work is a nightmare.

Hey, sorry I asked last time but is UESRPG still getting worked on? I'm actually running a game with it right now.

1e is finished, but it's shit.

2e is unfinished but support has been dropped. It's playable in the current state, but there won't be any updates or new expansions.

3e and it's supplements are still in development iirc.

A lot of the 3e stuff is out. Core rules, monsters, etc...

One of the first things I fucking see

Is there a guideline for making the races? I'm contemplating homebrewing Imga, Ogres and other khajiit lunar cycles.