GURPS general /gurpsgen/

Happy Friday edition

Game day looks! What's your setting? What's happening this week? Any tips and tricks from the local regular hosts of games?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.rpg.net/index.php/List_of_unofficial_GURPS_Netbooks
enragedeggplant.blogspot.ca/2017/03/sorcery-spell-index.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

My players have come into ownership of a run down castle. How do I go about letting them refurbish it (TL3 with bits of 4)? What can I do with it once it's built?

Are there any published rules?

Boardroom & Curia for running it?
I dunno about castle building rules.

I've heard GURPS Combat can be really slow. I want to try it soon, but I'm stockpiling ideas still. If it is in fact pretty slow by default, does anybody have any pointers for speeding it up?

I would treat it as a broken-down unstreamlined TL4 "spaceship" with Wood or Stone Armor and the majority of systems dedicated to Open Spaces and Habitats, Lacks Automation and No Computer from Vol. 7, and No Life Support from "Alternate Spaceships" in the #3/34 issue of Pyramid.

Do the skills increase when I increase an attribute?

Pic related is great advice (especially the last entry). Beyond that, I make heavy use of the fodder/mook rules where unimportant enemies are out after one HP of injury. I makes enemy hordes much less painful to run as a GM and keeps things from slowing down.

Yes. Your skills are relative--while we write down Climbing-14, it's more accurate to say Climbing at DX+2, or even more generally Attribute+2 because some skills are used with multiple attributes--so an increase in DX is an increase in all DX-based skills.

This was quite a while back, but I remember someone posting a fan made advantage that works as a "rage meter" or "combo points" system where hitting shit (and possibly getting hit in return) fills up an ER. Does anyone know what I'm taking about?

Some fun stuff to do with a castle/stronghold?

Getting people. Hiring, saving from someone else, kidnapping or otherwise getting a set of skilled people can make for fun chapters of 'getting a team together'.

For example, getting a skilled Armorsmith/Weaponsmith that can provide the party and their allies with good weapons and gear.

A holy person, like a priest, cleric, ect that can provide for the spiritual needs of the castle. Obviously in a lot of games this can also be a source of magic, but even without magic a holy man with contacts among moneistaries and cathedrals can provide useful information as well as being a confessor.

An inventor/architect. To plan and develop upgrades to the castle and to lead masons and laborers performing them. In a fantastic game you could make this sort of a Da Vinci figure, a sort of TL 3.9 mad scientist.

A farmer. Calm, salt of the earth type to represent the farmers that support the castle. Not too exciting, but someone they can talk to and get the mood of the locals.

Low-Tech Companion 3 has rules for building structures. You could bullshit some prices for furniture by using Low-Tech too, or just use prices that seem right.

I don't know. You could do the latter with DR (Absorbing) (Heals ER only), but I don't know how to do ER recovery on attack.

>don't know how to do ER recovery on attack
Leech/Vampiric bite (Accelerated Healing, +25%; Only Heals ER, -20%; Follow-up, +50%; PM, -10%)

Imbue 3 (Cosmic: NDR, +100%; One Skill Only, -80%, PM, -10%)+Vampiric Weapon![1]

Or something about 1 pt IA follow-up successful hits (or successful hits) activate 1 second of regeneration with speed of 1 ER/second

But as my experience told me, in gurps 95% of combats ending too fast for such pool mechanics (if you don't get caught each combat in the middle of mob of naked and paralyzed peasants), so there also another path to think about [Previous attack was successful, -20%]

Like street fighter, or ff7 'limit breaks'?

Exactly.

Now that I think about it, I'm 90% sure it was something clunky like option 3. Is the Leech approach kosher RAW?

>Is the Leech approach kosher RAW
Should be.
forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php?p=313188&postcount=5

Would a campaign set on a massive world-city generation ship with a kind of Dishonored fell to it be better off with or without Ritual Path Magic?

Is there a more extensive index than this?
wiki.rpg.net/index.php/List_of_unofficial_GURPS_Netbooks

Does anybody have any other examples that are not on this list?

I'd skip rpm, and just use minor stuff created with powers, in addition to martial arts and ultra tech.

If I were to use GURPS to run a Shadowrun campaign, how might I go about making Fatigue work more like SR 4e Strain? Is there a variant subsystem that already does that?

I'd be tempted to include it, but make it very hard to get. There IS 'magic' but it's mostly for witches and other strange enemies, and even they know only a very narrow sort of it.

1. Does anybody know of a good collection of Spells as Powers?
2. Has anybody come across an RPM variant that uses Spells as Powers rather than the completely separate system it normally uses?

So my character has plane traveled to a TL 5 world and is about to go home to a TL 4 world again. My character has merchant-15 and we all know what that means: Capitalism.

What TL 5 goods are the best to sell in a TL 4 world? I'm thinking, mirrors, compasses, Aluminium cutlery and paper are the best trading goods I can get for direct resale and profit.

Do you mean Stun? Because SR 4 uses Stun and Physical for damage tracks, not Strain.

Or do you mean Drain, where magic powers deal damage that is resisted, and might not deal any Stun or Physical damage at all?

As it stands: FP works pretty well as a way to power magic spells that makes you tired, just like Stun damage in Shadowrun. They recover at comparable rates too.

GURPS doesn't do rolling dice to resist damage like Shadowrun, so making Drain work is harder. I'd just suggest going with SR's more reliable and steady FP cost rather then shadowrun's randomized ones.

Technically mass produced aluminium is TL 6.

I'd say steam engines and industrial tools. You can charge a lot for stuff you bought very cheap in a TL 5 world, like dynamite, firearms and accurate clocks (there was a huge reward offered IRL for someone that could make a clock that would keep good time on a ship) but if you want to make real money it's best to sell the means of production. That means steam engines and the plans to make more, as the demand for them will explode the moment they are available at all.

Toss books on chemistry, metallurgy, medicine and electronics when you are at it.

I was thinking Drain, and the roll to resist it.
I was also thinking about how you rack up the penalties in shadowrun from Stun damage (or regular damage), which GURPS seems to be more lenient on until you hit very low remaining levels of Fatigue.

I think what you want is The Last Gasp from Pyramid #3/44. It's a pretty big overhaul of FP that makes taking FP damage a hell of a lot more complicated then just "don't go under the penalty threshold and otherwise ignore it"

There is a bunch of ways to ignore penalties for eating a bunch of Stun in SR, though.

enragedeggplant.blogspot.com

Pyramid 3/52 - Low Tech II "Lords of the Manor" article; an exploration of how many households and what crops you need to sustain your Wealth.

Also yes, Low-Tech Companion 3.

Pyramid 3/54 - Social Engineering "City Management" article.

City Stats.

Probably the base Social Engineering. Possibly Pulling Rank.

Mass Combat if you think that might become an issue.

I'd personally use the Abstract Wealth rules at this resolution of campaign, too.

You could also add in some other mercantile stuff from various pyramid articles, like how much $ it costs and how much $ you can make running a trade caravan (and other stuff), additional rules and advice for doing it ingame; or a different article on how to run a sailing ship that goes from port to port trading goods, accounting for export and import demand from location to location and adding a skeleton of other stuff for it (and more advice).

Anyway, there's a lot of stuff out there if you wanna run this kind of game in GURPS.

>I almost forgot

Also, if you wanna design your stronghold physically too, look at Pyramid 3/86 - Organizations "What's in a Lair?"
It's "a guide to making headquarters for your favorite GURPS organizations. It includes a sample base -- the Lofty Heights -- suitable for inspiration or moving into!"

It also lets you put magic wards and defenses on it, in addition to "regular" upgrading and such. It's a fairly simple, but effective, system for building custom HQ.

(Lastly, keep in mind Low Tech Companion 3 has 'detailed rules for erecting buildings of all sorts, from log cabins to Gothic cathedrals'; these ones are more realistic, in-depth and thorough!)

How do you differentiate female's human stats from male human stats in a realistic scenario?

I always felt that giving -stats in any RPG was completely mistaken, myself. A PC is already an excelptional human being, if only because it was designed to be so. Even if there was only 1 woman in the world capable of besting most weightlifters in a competition, the creation of a PC would imply that now there are now 2 (in the fictional world at least). But if one were to be inclined to apply some heavy realism in to the mix, to the detriment of the aforementioned philosopy, a better and even more realistic approach would be to use a lower attribute cap. If you were to place a cap at, say, 16ST (regardless of the realism of that number), and wanted to use a 'realistic' penalty for a woman, 15ST as a cap would be vastly more realistic than a simple -1ST. Points do not measure some sort of effort, or a vague concept of verosimilitude, but rather a maleable concept of 'plot power', more versatile and powerful abilities are more costly. Assigning a point value to PCs imply they will all have more or less the same plot power (more accurately, the same opportunities to achieve that same plot power). The corollary is that if one were to reduce their own plot power voluntarily, they'd get a point compensation of the same value. With a simple -1ST template for a woman, the player would receive an extra 10 points that they can spend anywhere they please, an obvious choice is to put them into ST, therefore the template was trivialized (rather, it was trivial from the beggining), since the woman now has the same strength as a man at 0 cost to the player. -Stats are not really an answer in GURPS. Caps are more realistic and less trivial.

>The Last Gasp
>Each time you pass a breakpoint by spending more than starting FP/5, you suffer -1 to DX, IQ, and HT, plus a 10% reduction in ST (round normally). (Minimum 0 for all attributes.)

Why do DX, IQ, and HT get absolute penalties (and an awkward "not below zero" note) while ST gets relative penalties? Would making all the penalties relative break anything?

Because while IQ, DX, and HT have a limit in most campaigns, you can keep buying St. To the point where a -10% to ST can be far worse than -1 absolute. Did you even read Basic Set?

But how does it make sense that, if I have base stats DX 20, ST 20, and 5 FP, I still have DX 10 when I'm about to fall unconscious, even though my ST has been reduced to zero? Shouldn't a character at -1×FP have ALL his stats reduced to zero, not just ST?

Even in supers game stats are usually below 20 (except for ST), so I guess this is the reason. And if you are playing game with stats beyond that, you probably would care about Last Gasp.
It would be nice if those assumption were spelled explicitly, though.

Not sure on the DX, but IQ and HT determine your resistance rolls for a number of tests that you should still make even when weakened or unconscious.

Kinda suck to die to the flu just because you were knocked out, don't you think?

It seems realistic to me. Don't drunk people die all the time when they get knocked out and subsequently suffocate on their own vomit while unconscious?

Yeah, because they have a penalty to their tests. If they dropped to 0 you'd never wake up after going to sleep.

Did you even think your proposal through before you typed it, or are you just that desperate to have a 'gotcha'?

Would GURPS be good for a Worm campaign?

I'm 100% new to Gurps.

GM is running Magic Fantasy

I have worked with another player to create a spellsword to be his body guard.

My inspiration is Cloud Strife.

I'm reading character right now so I am trying to figure out what exactly to do. Any tips?

Have someone charts for generating quest type/patron requests?

GURPS is good for every campaign.

how much should Talent((board games) cost?

I think its best to write out your character in plain english, what you want them to be able to do, and maybe prioritize some things from absolutely non-negotiable down to merely nice to have.

When you say Spellsword based on Cloud Strife that is a bodyguard, that could mean a lot of things, and ten GURPS experts with that description and a point budget would come up with ten different characters, so if you want specific build advice, you might want to give more details like:
- Starting money
- Point Budget and disadvantage limit
- What books are absolutely fair game and what books are absolutely off limits.
- Also, probably the Tech level, because "Magic Fantasy," Cloud Strife, and Spell Sword sound a bit anachronistic.

As for things a newbie player should learn:
- Read all of GURPS Lite except for maybe the shortened attribute and equipment lists
- If your GM wants to use gridded combat, browse the tactical combat chapter in GURPS campaign.
- After that, quickly scan through the advantage, disadvantage, and skills list in the basic set and the equipment lists as well; don't read these cover to cover, you'll bore yourself to death (unless you are one of the rare few that like reading RPG manuals) and a lot of it won't make sense until you've played a bit to get some context; but if you like reading, or see an interesting ability name, indulge yourself.
- Always take Luck and Combat Reflexes.

It is just skill.

aren't games(mahjong) and games(chess) different skills?

It's just a skill. But you have to buy it once per game, at least in theory.

B90:
>Skills with multiple specialties are considered to be ONE skill for this purpose.

So, "Games" counts as a single skill for the purposes of Talent. This means that Talent (Games) is worth only five points, and implies that Talent (Board games) is worth even less than that. Maybe it's just a perk.

As per B, 169 Optional Specialties, if you can buy skill as speciality one level easier, so you should can be able buy more general area at one level higher.
So probably Games IQ/A will work for any game, similar to Gambling IQ/A

Racial talents also exist for one skill talents; for a talent that only gives one skill +1, it's 2 points/level.

>Optional Specialties
The specializations of the Games skill are mandatory, not optional.

>So probably Games IQ/A will work for any game, similar to Gambling IQ/A
Gambling should be "skill at the evaluation of odds in a gaming context", not "skill at all games that happen to include gambling". If I decide to play a game of gin rummy for $100 per point of deadwood, does it suddenly switch from the Games (Gin Rummy) skill to the Gambling skill, just because I added a wager? That doesn't make any sense.

How about this?
- There is no overarching skill for all games
- Each genre of game (rummy card games, computer RTS, etc.) is an IQ/A skill
- Each game in a genre (gin rummy vs. canasta, Starcraft vs. Age of Empires, etc.) is an optional IQ/E specialty

>inb4 someone complains that Starcraft should be DX/H

Is ST 19 overkill?

Depends on the campaign and what you're trying to do with the character.

Garbage in/Garbage out user. Give us info.

In some campaigns yes, in other campaigns no.

Dungeon Fantasy. Barbarian.

Nope.

How do I succeed as an action hero monk who doesn't use guns in an 80s gang war? I only have 200 points to work with, including disadvantages.

Use guns, or get that silk shirt thing from MA that helps stop bullets.

Combat Reflexes is mandatory.

If you can use Chi/Magic, you can buy Ghost Shirt from Martial Arts (20 DR against bullets, so long as you don't use guns yourself) for 20 points.

Get a couple levels of Enhanced Dodge, if your GM lets you.

Buy Luck/Extraordinary/Ridiculous Luck to reroll lucky hits by the enemy.

High move with low encumbrance so you can sneak up on people/close the distance quickly.

Maybe buy up disarming to get rid of guns once you're up close?

There are some templates in Action 3 you can check out for inspiration, but they're for 250 points, so you'd have to downgrade.

A cooperative DM that allows access to Flesh Wounds and TV Action Violence cinematic rules and runs with the more cinematic mook rules from Action 2 and 3 or even the Chase rules as a best-case scenario.

Beyond that, as high a Dodge as feasibly possible to let you avoid fire (obviously) while also "retreating" forward (from Martial Arts; I think it's called a Slip), and high Move to match. Failing that, Stealth out the ass.

Check Action 3: Furious Fists for some 250-point templates you can use as a base. Just shave off a few advantages or attributes and you're good to go.

Grimwyrd today!
The party have killed a resident lich, bonded with ancient treasured Dwarven earth elementals, and purged the evil from the Crawling Keep. Last week, they faced off with the priestess running the furious elven demon cultist show, and she was a Fae agent!

>The party scours the site of evil, investigating the orbs of souls found scattered about
>Each has dead cultists at the base, caught in acts of passion, dead
>The corpses are riddled with bloodroot Vines
>Syviis uses the necromancers staff to assess things, and determines the spirits should be freed to the aether, despite their magic potential
>They breach and clear, Killin demon devices and purging everything they don't trust

>Surviving elf? Cut him free and heal him
>Hidden demon infection? PURGE THAT SHIT

>They find an ancient dwarf cache, unlocked by the Dwarves now touched by elementals
>The magic gemstones alight at their touch, an intricate iris door revealing masterfully crafted Dwarven weapons from the first empire!
>Dwarves immediately inspect them for wear, thinking aloud on reproducing them if possible. Copywrite law be damned

>Confident they are alone, they set a trap for the absentee Roc riders, wanting to ambush them in their perch
>Bomrek sets a two pound corned powder bomb, with shrapnel
>When the rocs return, they eat 8dX2 + shrapnel at zero yards
>...
>4xp for everyone!

>4xp for everyone!
>xp

is it possible to play fantasy campaigns with this system or it only works with more modern campaigns

I don't suppose anybody has collected these into a PDF I can print out and stick in a binder, saving me the trouble of putting them all in a document and formatting the thing to print?

I think it works better with fantasy than it does with modern/sci fi stuff. But it can run any of them.

enragedeggplant.blogspot.ca/2017/03/sorcery-spell-index.html
The spell index indicates that there is a complete document with all of them, but I haven't found a link to it yet.

>GURPS Dungeon Fantasy
>GURPS Fantasy
>GURPS Low-Tech
>GURPS Banestorm
>GURPS Thaumatology
>and tons of booklets and articles that supplement the above.

GURPS has some quality options to do fantasy

How do I roll for hit location for multiple shots? Do I just roll each location individually?

>Set bomb and wait for hours for it to explode.

One of the players said it was the most Irish thing he'd done in a while. Sometimes, I wonder if this group is raciest.

Stealth into Close Combat. Control where you fight, if you don't have lots of cover then don't fight. Knock out the lights, fill the area with smoke and run away to break line of sight whenever things get dicey. Remember that if a man with a gun chases you past a blind corner or doorway you can get them into close combat where the gun isn't much of an advantage.

Either treat them as all hitting the same location (how I think it's supposed to work) or roll randomly for each.

When in doubt, just have everything hit the Torso hit location.

>Set bomb and wait for hours for it to explode.
>One of the players said it was the most Irish thing he'd done in a while. Sometimes, I wonder if this group is racist.
Well, I mean, that's modern Irish warfare.

That's what you do when you're fighting a much larger force. Fight dirty, use disinformation, kill the morale of their supporters, and attack their bankroll and leaders.

That's the only way you stand any chance of success.

Does anyone have that Shotgun rule compilation image?

Why is this rule compilation a meme? Is it just calling out how much cross-referencing is in GURPS?

It's the best resource for shooting shotguns? People ask for it because shotguns confuse them.

Gotcha. It's actually to be useful.

Well, I mean, you gotta admit. Those are some convoluted rules spread out all over the place.

Really to use a shotgun you just need to be aware of the rules, have the shotgun's stats and the ROF table, or cheat and do what I do and note the ROF bonus for the shotgun useing single shot or max ROF on the sheet.

12 gauge gets +2, or +4 if you fire two shells. 10 gauge gets +3, or +5 with two shots. Either is +5 with 3 shells.

USAS-12 only gets +6 for blazing away with 6 shells.

I'm running a DF game and am stumped for what Physiology and Psychology specialties to include aside from the obvious ones like orc, goblin, troll, etc. Any ideas?

Seems like a lot of detail. Are you sure it's going to come up? Otherwise I'd avoid getting that far into the weeds.

If you are in a game where that matters, your options are to have a different specialty for every sentient race, or to put them together.

Like.. if you are in a game where Dwarves, Goblins, Gnomes and Halflings all share a recent common ancestor then you could have "Small Folk" as a specaility, or pair Humans, Orcs, Ogres, and Beastfolk into "Savage Folk", while Light, Dark, Fallen and Flying Elves are "High Folk".

This classification system might be named by elves.

It depends on what setting you play.
If you not a mr.smartass then make all your races as specialties, and if you enough mr.smartass then just pick them as racial groups.
>like orc, goblin, troll
>Goblinoids
>Monstrous Humanoids

Is the intrusion system used for Transhuman space from 5th Wave any good for a pseudo-Blame! setting, or would I be better off using a homebrewed system based off of a Shadowrun modification?

Going by DF2 I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be by the monster types (Animal, Construct, Demon, Elder Thing, etc), which is broad enough that it's more likely to come up.

Grimwyld journal entry

>New enemy type: Furies

Elfblooded human cultist of Dark Spirits. With a lack of armor or training they would present little threat to a Scorned or Stoneborn Dwarf warrior alone.

They are never alone.

Fanatically driven and unnaturally savage they attack with little concern for their own survival, led by leaders eager to use them for fodder or to power their twisted and debased rituals. They use thin blades and overwhelming numbers in combat, forgoing shields or armor and relying on their grace for defense.

>Variant: Possessed Furies

Furies ridden by lesser spirits that drink in their sadism and lust, fueled by the cult's degenerate ritual are able to manifest oily shadows that cloak them and lend them grace beyond even what their eleven blood provides. Increasingly difficult to strike in combat, the dark blades they can craft from the shadows that cling to them deal terrible wounds.

Not sure about those rules you specified, but just FYI there are also the "Console Cowboys and Cyberspace Kung Fu" rules for cinematic hacking that are built to add onto the Action system (but can be used as-is wherever). Includes some prebuilt decks, programs, etc.

Hey my dudes, is there a trove/archive of the pdfs for GURPS? I really want to play but I am poor :\

I also believe in the whole try before you buy. I purchased all of the 4e and 5e books of deendee, but that game is getting old and I find myself having to create more and more homebrew for my setting. I'd be happy to buy some books if I like the game.

Check the op

OP is a .pdf

Bwahaha!

Thank you mates, did even look at that, I'm used to links being posted in the post lol.

Yeah that should be fine. It's realistic enough it doesn't give RADICAL 90S PINK MOHAWK vibes, and it's pretty straightforward, which is good because hacking isn't the main thing in Blame! It's also fairly slow IIRC, giving you ample opportunities to put some pressure on the party

A quick and dirty "roll WP to reduce FP cost (but not sustain cost) by margin of success" could work - it depends on what type of spellcasting you're doing, but with the basic system it'd extend endurance for throwing around combat magic without making expensive things like mind control or conjuring much easier to maintain. Would want a bit more tweaking, I'm sure, but nothing strikes me as outright crazy about it.

Alternately, you could do it as Threshold Magery - where they can channel as much power as they want to pull out a big and flashy fireball, but without time to recover, the strain becomes increasingly dangerous. That could work really well for SR's balance of power between magic and technology.

>Console Cowboys and Cyberspace Kung Fu
I guess I should mention, this is an article found in Pyramid issue #3/21 'Cyberpunk'.

Yes and no.

Narratively, Worm is big on wildly imbalanced powers, which is anathema to tabletop games. (Weaver Dice's "roll for your power and trauma" is a gimmick that requires a particular kind of player mindset.)

Taylor, for example, would be a very expensive character. Tattletale would be very cheap. Lung would be incredibly boring to play (and cost about ten times as much as anyone else, minimum). Tinkers would all cost about the same amount, and cause headaches.

"Street-level supers" is totally doable though - say, about 100pts for the character and 200-300 for the power.

Dont forget the sex magic!

There's a bunch of sex magic too!

Were you mad before or after the sex magic?

Why is swing damage higher than thrust damage?

More leverage and therefore force in a swing than a thrust.

Generally speaking a thrust still inflicts a worse injury against flesh (impaling is 2x and can target vitals for 3x, cut is 1.5x injury), so even if the stab doesn't carry as much kinetic energy, a stab is often worse than a slash.

I've been mad since around 2001, 2002 maybe. DND magazine, a bit of existential dread, and endless Soul Calibur 2 on Xbox.

That said, the sex does WONDERS for any warlock who needs to charge up a curse of lineage. Ifyaknowwhatimean

If I wanted to give my PCs a Steampunkish Airship as a home base/vehicle. It would be strictly non-combat (to start with). Maybe with some harpoons or grappling hooks.

Would the default vehicle rules suffice for this, as the most complex things will be piloting and possibly boarding another ship, or is there something I can use to make it more fun/easier?

Same person here.
Is spaceships 7 overkill for this?

Spaceships is really what you want to use for a base.