>RESOURCES:
>Current Modern Metagame
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

>thread q
What ravnican guild would you join and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-98-45-tix-modern-uw-spirits
mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-93-28-tix-modern-jeskai-flying-men
mtggoldfish.com/articles/brewer-s-minute-how-many-lands
youtube.com/watch?v=5ELigM0GsGg
youtube.com/watch?v=IHH1lUKSZjM
youtube.com/watch?v=eX3RPauK7h4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Ban lightning bolt

Why?

MTG newfag here, dunno if this is the right thread.
Is red/green recommendable for aggro decks? I want to start playing casual against friends, but they don't know a lot about MTG.

There is Aggro in almost all colors. Unfortunately Modern isn't casual friendly. If you want to play with your friends, your best bet would be Duel Decks Anthology, since those decks were designed to fight each correspondent opponent.

Well, there are a fews differedn formats but this one id say is the more sane choice.

If you want to play aggro, i would recommend a Red Deck Wins deck. somthing like pic related but take out dual castings for 2 more lava spikes.

or if you want to be annoying to your friends i would reccomend U/G infect.

other than that if your really new look into the aforementioned stuff but get one of the planeswalker decks, those are designed for new players

What's the deal with Tamiyo's hair?

dunno, guess thats how moonfolk do-up their hair.

t. Tron player

If anything is getting banned it's:

Serum Visions
Death's Shadow
Slight of Hand
Thoughtseize

How is modern these days? Haven't been on Veeky Forums much, but it seems like the threads are slower than usual

Modern discussion tends to be slow when Standard season rolls around, i.e. right now. But, the format is in an okay spot right now. Tons of viable decks and varied top 8s, nothing too oppressive or dominating. The only common complaint I see is that Modern has gotten too fast and needs to slow down a bit, but even that isn't too bad.

More like Death's Shadow is an oppresive tempo deck that shits all over anything it comes across.

It's really not drastically better than the field.

Not really, last two GP's at most only had 1 or 2 DS decks in top 8 and the rest was varied.

Expect a ban. I'll see to it personally.

is it time to post the BobTron meme? is it time yet?

Yeah not gonna happen nothing will get banned. If anything the only thing that will get banned is maybe Gifts Ungiven or Baral because of Wizards hate boner for Storm.

How much will the Masteripiece series rise in price once it's out of print?
Should I wait a while for them to circulate a bit more to see if the price drops a bit before getting a few?

alas, it isn't time. soon.

Street Wraith might get hit but that's it.

What would that put the common bans at? Ponder and pals and what else? Pauper too stronk for modern

Is there anything I should add to this deck? I went 3-1 this FNM, but it feels like something is missing in this deck.

4 of the U/W fetch?

Wouldn't it just be more effective to play a modified version of UW Spirits?

I'll try to get them, but, I'm primarily on a budget, and get most of my cards through store credit.
Yeah, I guess, but, I kind of want the deck to be 'my own' even though that's pretty fucking autistic/stupid to say.

Aside from more nonbasics (hence the maybeboard) what felt missing?

I just feel like there should be some larger creatures I guess?

I can understand the sentiment, but Spirits is pretty low key, so I doubt it would be any more of an odd deck than UW Flyers to Joe Schmoe playing Burn at your LCS.
UW Flyers is similar to Mardu Midrange; all you're doing is playing a bad version of Jund (Spirits)
I'm not saying just 100% copy Spirits. Things like Favorable Winds, Sky Hussar, and Meddling Mage are perfectly acceptable. Maybe I'm just bitter, , though

Do you have a list that I could take a look at?

Mtggoldfish did a Budget Magic series on it a litle less than a year ago. It was more of a tempo based spirits deck, but going more creature oriented is certainly an option.
mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-98-45-tix-modern-uw-spirits

Thanks, I'll certainly look into it.

Copter or Obstructionist might be decent options

Sky Hussaur seems too slow, I would cut. Masoleum Wanderer is overall better than Judge's Familiar, but both are pretty good.
Maybe try Phantasmal Image to copy a creature. Most of your stuff dies to removal anyways, so the drawback is not really much and you might as well get out extra Faeries and other good stuff.
Alternatively, you could keep the Familiars, add more Selfless Spirits, and put in 2-4 Honor of the Pure to pump everything that isn't Faerie or Wanderer. Glorious Anthem seems too costly and Honor just seems overall more efficient.

I have budget UW Spirits. I tried Favorable Winds and it seems to work fine with Midnight Haunting (instant Lingering Souls w/o flashback), but it also made my deck not as good against combo.

If you aren't afraid of spending a little more, try going into Jeskai for some speed. Haste and Lightning Bolt helps you win out of nowhere.
mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-93-28-tix-modern-jeskai-flying-men

I don't know if you are running too few lands, but take this into account.
mtggoldfish.com/articles/brewer-s-minute-how-many-lands

>splash jeskai for sweet sweet mantis
possibly greedy but certainly dope

I'm building Bant Spirits but when it all goes tits up and I realise the deck is shit I'll probably play Company with Knightfall.

You need to ask yourself what Favorable Winds does for you. T1 Wanderer, T2 Winds. You're only swinging for an extra 1 damage. If Winds was just a creature instead, you could have more power on the board. Anthem effects just don't work unless they're on a creature that has power too.

I was thinking of buying MM15 and MM17 boosters for about €200 each, is it a good price? Thinking about opening one each and maybe investing in another MM17 box.

>Investing
Kill yourself, my man.

I'm gonna keep that box and many more future boxes well hidden deep down in my troll/jew cave for 20 and more years and there's nothing you can do about it.

I don't even play magic and I've been buying mtg cards since 2001 (Seventh and Torment), stopped around Future Sight.
I'd like to start playing but I don't wanna play with the underage kids at my LGS and I don't know anyone who plays.

Going to a monthly modern tournament at a nearby LGS.

Gonna play Bogles or should I audible to burn. I've played both at modern FNMs, I believe I went 2-1 with each.

Is 8-Whack the best low-budget deck in modern?

Burn is a much better deck than Boggles is right now but for the most part you should always play what you're more comfortable piloting.

The burn is boros burn to reduce the life loss because of DS being around.

I mean, I like Bogles for it's explosiveness but I feel like both are good choices for an unsure format.

youtube.com/watch?v=5ELigM0GsGg

Isn't this deck pretty much useless if your opponent can empty your graveyard? You won't survive long enough to cast Emrakul and you already sacrificed all your creatures.

Bogles folds to itself too much in the long run and has truly unwinnable matchups unlike Burn (Chalice for 1, Gx Tron, UW Control).

It's amazing how titanshift variants are the most popular thing in modern right now

That's because the deck is easy as shit to play compared to Grixis DS.

>Rockets through to the midgame against rush decks
>Has a stable endgame
>Even when the namesake of the deck is removed you can still pull out a win

It's the most braindead to play after Bogles and has game vs most of the field including GSD, it was only a matter of time.

People watch this guy ironically, right?

I mean, I find hard to believe that anyone could be that stupid

youtube.com/watch?v=IHH1lUKSZjM

UNBAN ME! I'M THE HERO WE NEED, NOT THE ONE WE DESERVE

I used to like his stuff before he started complaining about everything. So yes, ironically.

Do your ears hang low?

>UW control
>unwinnable

It's hard but not unwinnable. Cartouche thingy helps against blessed alliance.

>SERUM VISIONS
E
R
U
M

V
I
S
I
O
N
S

Go fuck yourself

Bogles is low-key good against the meta right now if you maindeck leyline of sancticty

there anything good in the abzan department?

also could merfolk make use of pic related?

It's a toxic card.

just let blue have 1 cantrip, 1. ponder and preordain are banned , let them have this one thing.

>legacy general gone again

ITS NOT FAIR

ITS THE BEST FORMAT

Make it esper so u can play and flashback lingering souls

Go away Rudy your drunk..

If you're in black you get both thoughtseize and fatal push, why isn't every deck just splashing black?

Kek, he's actually the reason I'm getting back into magic.

trying for sultai graveyard deck featuring Lotleth Troll, Prized Amalgam, Hollow One, and Vengevine as the primary pieces. I have stuff like gravecrawler/bloodghast to get triggers and take advantage of creature discard, but I feel like I don't draw enough cards to keep up my threats.

What else does this deck need to make it work? Are there any other looting spells in these colors that can replace faithless looting? Any other reliable discard/draw engines?

thanks desu

Its the worst format

He's absolutely hilarious.

>only black and red are allowed to have good one-drops
>green if we count manadorks and elves

When the game was first created they made a lot of design mistakes that they honestly shouldnt have made
>making blue the only color with draw
The most powerful thing to do in a card game is draw more cards, limiting it to one color was a disaster. Now Green and Black draw cards too and even Whites been getting some.
>Cantrips even existing
These are horribly designed cards in every aspect. U for Ponder, Preordain, and even Serum Visions is too good. They create options which again is a great thing to do in a card game. Thankfully Wizards has moved away from cards like these.
>Fast Mana
Fast Mana was maybe the biggest mistake, in the beginning they just assumed you'd use it to ramp out a creature or spell, but now all they are is combo enablers. In a game about resources, being able to accelerate is busted. Fair ramp is green, and the mana rocks.

Why run that when you can just run spreading seas

>cantrips inherently a mistake
No.
Ponder, Preordain, and Semen Visions are all library manipulation that cantrips. Cantrip itself is reasonably benign, and a useful tool when a card effect is just not good enough even at one mana. Same as stapling Scry x on a card, although the power of this will vary.
>fast mana
This covers so many things. In modern specifically, the fast mana problems are less fast mana problems, and more a lack of land destruction because the fast mana has been stapled to lands.

Just counter or mill that shit.
Besides, I'm tired of having my good stuff ripped out of my hand by Thotsieze, just let me have my scry.

Don't tell WotC that Peek and cycling exists.

What about Wild Nacatl and Bogles?

Basically library manipulation was a mistake, even black tutors are. Of course I am talking about the low costed playable stuff because Vampiric Tutor and Demonic Tutor are banned where as Diabolic Tutor is not.
Fast Mana is anything like Black Lotus, Moxen and so on. The worst kind generates more then you put in. The good kinds like the Signets which just ramps you. In Modern the fast mana is Mox Opal and Tron.

Nacatl and Bogles are not modern playable. What a world.
There is Thraben Inspector in White as well, which is acceptable utility but not great.

I SAW THE THUMBNAIL AND NEW EXACTLY WHO IT WAS

STOP NETDECKING REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I don't know about the blanket statement against library manipulation and tutors. I think we're on the same general page however. How does the statement "library manipulation/tutors are powerful effects, and have been too powerful at times" sound to you?
Cards like Genesis Wave and Chord of Calling are in some interesting design space. They're good payoff for a ramp deck.

I got you on fast mana. I might add cards like Aether Vial however. It's in that weird spot like Git Probe where it provides [effect] for any color, in this case, giving non-Green decks a way to accelerate permanents onto the battlefield. I don't want Aether Vial to go away. I don't think it's ultimately a healthy addition to Modern, but in lieu of acceleration in non-Green, I'd rather have Aether Vial than not.

Adding new topics to the conversation, what would it take for good old fashion land-acceleration to rise up again? The closest we have these days is the Arbor Elf/Utopia Sprawl setup Ponza uses, plus a few manadorks here and there.
Why isn't Primal Growth Modern-legal?

Faithless and Cathartic reunion are really the only 2 worthwhile. I'm currently playing around with RGB ragevine.

Do you forge?

rofl, get that shit outta here

Damn that deck looks slow asf...

youtube.com/watch?v=eX3RPauK7h4

I mean, I laugh but I feel dead inside too

>cheaters and netdeckers
rofl

Isnt this just a worse version of burn

Who hurt this guy

netdeckers

WELCOME IN

MUCH LOVE

TRAV HERE

Been a while since I played modern and I'm thinking about playing at my lgs next friday.

The only deck I currently own is affinity, is it still in a good spot?

I kinda want to see if he gets even crazier but this is not worth it

i literally won a game vs UW control yesterday because serum visions couldn't grab either of the two cryptic commands under the land on top

yes

>30 minute video on probability of a mana screw
how long does it take him to use a calculator

say that to my face fucker not online and see what happens

well no shit, even preordain is banned

Nah here's the real banlist chances based on my calculations:

>decent chance tier:
Death's Shadow

>Low chance but possible tier:
Eldrazi Temple
Tron lands

I don't think anything else had a chance. Thinking Visions, Slight or Thoughtseize will be banned is hyper autistic

are those swimming goggles?

Where you do place Stubborn Denial, Street Wraith, Mishra's Bauble, and Expedition Map?

yeah ok i found it

let's see

It's easy and it's strong

The most hardcore gameplay you have is counting your lands

>complaining about netdecking for 24 minutes

I don't think I could make it through the whole video. I feel like it'd be too cringey to handle

nah m8 he's got himself playing skyrim on the background

i tapped out not even 5 minutes in