Force of Will

So Veeky Forums did you get the new starter decks today?
Went to my local card shop and got to see the cancer that came with it while getting all the starters to try them all out.
Also idk FoW general if you guys want.

What's the game like?

Is it better now? I left around the end of the alice block. Since the team making it clearly did not know balancing.

It's basically like MtG but with more anime style art and slight difference in mana costs.
If you're interested in the differences I can shout them to you.
Everything from the Alice block back is now in wander format, everything after is still frontier legal.
I can't say for sure till the support cards in the next set coming in september will make the newest starter decks better but some decks are less cancerous with things like Regalia being out of frontier.

>It's basically like MtG but with more anime style art and slight difference in mana costs.
>If you're interested in the differences I can shout them to you.

I'm interested.

I was interested in FoW until I heard it was one of those CCGs that were very popular at first but then suffered a fallout.

Different user. So, you have a card called a Ruler that gives you a few abilities. You can tap your ruler to play the top card of your Magic Stone Deck (separate pile of cards for your mana). Most rulers have a Judgment ability - pay a mana cost while untapped to flip it over into a J-Ruler (essentially a commander, but unless it has the keyword Imperishable you can't recast it).

IT kind of has in very many areas and needs some dedicated players to really set up a scene.
Well for one it plays like magic, has the same colors and cost system for mana, has creature abilitys like flying and first strike. the two main differences are that you have a ruler, I've heard this compared to commander format in MtG, and the fact that your mana you'll be using is in a separate deck compared to your main deck.
So a slightly "faster" way of playing than magic but still has the feel and risk/reward of punishing quick play with you tap out or resenator/creatures and your mana stones.

Have they solved the problem of making generic overpowered Rulers that can be played in the majority of decks and are more consistent than other Rulers?

There haven't been any rulers banned since the twins, and that was a significant while ago.

I got the red deck today. I'm going to try the game for the first time at locals next week.

The entire starter set has unique ability purely for it's cards so it's getting better and a lot of the rulers are feeling less generic.
It seems like one of the better oens and only will get better as time goes on.

Which ruler is best for Ancient Magic? I really like the mechanic (I got the Mercurius starter deck) and aesthetics.

If you are to us any ruler for Ancient magic it would be 100% Gill Alhama'at just due to how amazing him and his stones are.

My friends and I had really gotten into it, but we dropped it the moment BMB came out.
Their incompetence was rather astounding.

Oh shit, I remember getting to free promo decks of this from a convention, maybe a year or two ago.
It was pirates vs peter pan
It just felt too awkward to play seriously. Every pirate was heavily sexualized. Ripped as fuck and barely wearing and shirt. The faeries were all chubby or otherwise ugly. Any children were of course children but also extremely effeminate.

It felt like we were playing tumblr's chinese knock off of mtg.

Reading about this, there seems to be lots of parasitic mechanics, like weather or reiya's IT IS A MYSTERY.

Am i wrong about this?

How is the precon balance? I might buy them to play in between MtG.

If they are imbalanced, how to make them better?

What does the "Little Boy" keyword mean?

How abou something cheaper? He looks great, but I don't play this game enough to justify that.

They'll be announcing the special skill for each of the starter rulers I think in September along with the support set in the next box, apparently from what I've been told each side has a different effect.

There's been multiple sets after that case and yeah it's basically MtG but it's little grand daughter that's into anime heavily.

Right now there are obvious winners of which starter is better, wind has the only cancel spell after the rotation in a playset, black has intense support in vampire cards already and can run well with it's mechanics of counters. Fire has a good start and will only get better with the next box set. Water has a good concept but hard to use the cards outside of the one ruler, just like the majority of the starter rulers and so far the only cucked ruler is light

How to improve light, then? Not sure if i'll be buying/deckbuilding outside of starters, MtG is eating my game budget.

Why is "light being cucked" is a frequent occasion in japanese games with 5+
elements?

Light starter has a mechanic that involves getting colored gems of each element to activate the abilities of it's resenators to give them flying or swiftness, stuff like that.
If you don't it just has useless beatsticks. Most light rulers are cucked but some are good like Lumia but that's only for the Lumia hook combo.

Also deck building will cost little except for stones and rulers, besides that most cards come in common rarety that play fairly well.
It's a game that's easily built for cheap so all can play.

Used to play, but the LGS I used to go to doesn't have it anymore and I won't go to the other one because it's weeb central. Even when I didn't play, I bought two of the lapis cluster starter decks. None of these new ones really interest me a whole lot. May pick up the blue, may not.

I won't deny that the game is fun and while it lasted I did have an enjoyable time. It gave me the best mono-green stompy I've ever handled and oneshotting people out of nowhere felt so good.
But the game creeped to hell and back and my friends left.
I don't mean to complain about weebs in a weeb website for a weeb game, but I just genuinely don't want to spend my time with these people.

I'm really disappointed this game never took off at my LGS. Mostly because I'm a huge fuckin weeb, but also I'm really unhappy with the MTG meta around here which is like 90% draft/sealed and the other 10% is modern.
I tried it briefly and it was quite fun, but like any other game, without enough people to play with, it gets stale.
KAGUYA A CUTE
CUTE

I remember G/W Kaguya awakening valuetown. It was the other deck that I was interested in, but I didn't have cash at the time and IIRC it was ~100 dollars for this game, which is pretty steep for me.

A store that is a few blocks from where I am sells FoW cards. I need to see if they run events for the game at all. Is there a place where I can look up what deck lists are hot right now to get an idea of what sort of composition I should go for?

The grinning remenant is the best to see tourny results for top decks right now but that's the best I know.
Generally you look up a ruler you have interest in on Google and you can find decent deck lists around.

I'm lucky that my friends play it so I have people around as well as a growing locals due to a new shop. Also Lumia is best wife.

I know how you feel, weebs irl can be faggots and it made me realize more of the community that plays this game after I went to my LGS yesterday since one guy was talking about the black ruler being the waifu of the set which I heard from the female shop keeper when buying my decks.

Cool. And apparently they do host events near me. For legal decks, I just pick cards from the last two clusters, right? I guess I will start with the Panda starter deck and see how I do.

I'll eventually get the Blue and Black ones once Amazon has it on prime. That service fucking spoiled me, but I'm paying 50 bucks a year for it, I'm going to get my free 2 day shipping if it kills me.

Id say if you want something fun and interesting mechanic wise you get giant space panda.
If you want effective you get Vampire slut waifu or Mermaid fish waifu. Only because they're heavy control decks which is always effective.
Also if you aren't going to play it but need some good generic chants pick up discount link wind since it has a 1 cost that allows you to draw a card and a cancel chant card.

OP here, out of the rulers already revealed from the Ancient Nights box what is the best ability/Most WaifuHusbandoable/Most interesting mechanic.
I'm honestly looking forward to the Golem deck seeing as even in the water cards it has some Golems, so it might end up being a multi colored deck.

Thanks for the advice. I guess I will see what my meta is like and build from the starter decks to see what it takes to not always lose. I hope to eventually win some of the promo cards as they look pretty good.

When it comes to my locals and I think most if not all give promo cards just for entering a tourney.

Oh, cool. I guess that I will get luckier than I am for MTG.

I'm happy to see more CCGs competing, but I'm curious: has WotC pursued any legal action against Force of Will if it's basically Magic?

Last I played was Liberator of Wind GB midrange deck and Rezzard Cthulhu Reanimator. What did I miss in Lapis Cluster, and is there anything good for either of those playstyles/decks that came out?

No. The terminology of the game is entirely different so they can't do jack shit.

discount link wind?

Discount link in a wind deck.

Is it even worth playing this?
I kinda want to play more TCGs and my friends are huge weebs, so they 'll prob join me if i bring it up but I dont want to just throw some cash at some shitty weeb art.

The game is actually decent, especially with the current rotation. As was explained it is like MTG but with some general concept change, so if you know and like MTG's general mechanics you should be good.

It really depends on how large the playerbase is in your area. Some places have a decent to large playerbase so those LGSs stock the product and host events, others not so much. The secondary market is super fucking cheap so even if you just want to dabble in it, it won't break bank.

What's a good Fire control deck? I'm thinking either Alisaris, Guardian of Fire Magic Stones, or Mars for my ruler.

If you want more of a control deck and those are the two picks you like most go Mars. Only because it has the quicker payout but you need to manage and keep gaining Mana counters.
GoFMS is a late game bomb that could be useful if you have the right stall in your deck. But I believe for it's ruler side you need normal fire stones to get the burn damage, not special stones.

This game looks really fun but it seems like nobody plays it in my city. Is there any online version?

Split magic stones that say "counts as a x magic stone and a fire magic stone" still count. Should I go pure fire, or add in another element?

God Reflect was fucking miserable.

Mars is just a worse Sol and tends to lead to a more combo playstyle with one huge turn using ancient magic.
Alisaris has rotated out of NF as of a few days ago. So of the three Guardian is probably your best bet for control. You can use cards like demonflame as efficient removal thanks to his ping.

Other options could be RDE Gill Lapis or the new fire starter ruler. You could probably make a decent control deck with either of those.

Would the new fire starter be worth picking up at all? Also, what are staple cards in NF right now?

Its probably the best out of the box and it has some good cards in it. In my opinion its the one most likely to see any sort of play. Apparently they are aiming to keep up support for rulers throughout the cluster so it should get better. Only problem is that its going to be difficult to play most of his cards outside Kirk himself so if you're not interested in the ruler himself then its probably skippable.

Rotation just hit so things are up in the air for NF right now. From what it seems the major decks are Pricia and Fox while the control decks took a major hit with the loss of cards like space-time and black moonbeam. Some staple cards that I can think of right now are Severing Winds (ENW), Excalibur (ENW), Abdul (Vingolf), Sylvia (ENW), Sacred Elf (Green Lapis Starter), Melfee (CFC), Hook (CFC) and Shade (Vingolf). Most decks right now are kind of insular and there isn't a whole lot of overlap.

I've been looking at this game for a while since I dropped completely out of MtG standard.
Did new decks come out? What should I pick up to get started?

Rotation hit and all the Alice Cluster cards are gone. New starters were released for the new cluster (block) and I think they are a good place to start. They are supposed to be getting consistent support when the actual booster part of the block hits (1st set comes out next month). For getting started I think picking up one of them should be a decent start that you can at least make a casual deck from in the coming sets. I would recommend them like: Fire > Dark > Water > Light > Wind. But any should do. Except wind. In my opinion wind is bad and it would take some serious support to be anywhere close to decent. Some people like it though so its up to you.
Other good starter things are:
The wind starter from Lapis - It has a nice amount of staple cards and is a decent deck out of the box.
Vingolf 3 - 5 rulers and a good amount of staple cards. Its pretty hard to find though and expensive if you do.
Vingolf 2 - The actual cards are garbage and have all rotated but the dual stones were reprinted so they are still playable. You get 2 of each dual stone so if you can get it for cheap it could be a good buy.