What are some unique aspects of music based powers? I always loved the idea of musical villains...

What are some unique aspects of music based powers? I always loved the idea of musical villains, but it seems the only powers are mind control and boring blasting.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dvJ7QOu0Z0w
youtu.be/0S6k70O1Oto
youtube.com/watch?v=uP2OOQ7xWDc
youtube.com/watch?v=nM__lPTWThU
youtube.com/watch?v=yDxGZ7EYrvk
youtube.com/watch?v=ysFxrPNjvNA
youtube.com/watch?v=03qBqP2I4p8
youtube.com/watch?v=whhQRAaldBM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Idea: shredding on the loot cuts your enemies.

There's also buffs and debuffs. Music that strengthens the body, or weakens the soul.

certain innocuous objects could become deadly if vibrated correctly. you could turn razorwire into some crazy shit, you could throw wine glasses and have them explode
all I got
t. drunk anaon

I can't remember the movie to save my life but it was a kung fu movie where two brother assassins use a giant Guzheng as a weapon. Plucking the strings would send invisible blades at whatever was in front of them and could deflect attacks as well (they could also choose to do impacts like punches instead of cutting) They even summoned ghost warriors with it.

Kung Fu Hustle
youtube.com/watch?v=dvJ7QOu0Z0w

Would you consider emotion control the same as mind control?

Playing certain songs causes people to be overcome by certain emotions IE: sadness, rage, euphoria, etc.

Idea I've got, I'm using it for an animation later on, but feel free to make use of it,
youtu.be/0S6k70O1Oto
>Lone goblin playing a shamisen to channel water magics in a dark swamp. He mainly uses the ability to enhance his mobility and "dance" around his foes.
Just something cool I want to use, but feel free to do it.

I came here to post this.

Kung Fu Hustle as the most well-known (and probably best) version of the trope, but kung fu masters fighting with music is something that comes up on occasion.
For instance, there's a random obscure 90s martial arts flick on the subject...
youtube.com/watch?v=uP2OOQ7xWDc
>ywn buy crappy dvds of forgettable kung-fu flicks found on the bargain rack at Suncoast or Media Play

musical villains?

I remember one user's stand concept in a a JoJo thread. It essentially put a waltz beat on combat, forcing characters to act in time to the music or take damage. The beat would swap to a fast rock beat if the user took too much damage.
I forget the name but it was a cool power.

I like the idea of bard necromancers sort of like in pic related.

Apart from the already mentioned Kung Fu Hustle variation, I think music could be in the way that certain tunes played a certain way act as incantations for various spells.

Fireball? Fiery riff on your lute.
Teleport? A longing tune with elements of your target destination's music.
Bard shit? Bard shit.
Portal to another plane? Slow, measured notes set to resonate with it and thin the borders.
Just examples.

Treat the instrument like a wand, and the music like the magical formula. Sky's the limit, and there's no cops to see you breaking it.

Each turn a different buff. Your goal is to control the pace of the battle. On turn one everyone gets a movement buff, then turn two a defense buff. Then turn three a damage buff. Then it loops.

No, but still possibly still dickish.

Holy shit I remember reading that in middle school. Think I'll go pick up a copy and re-read it now, thanks.

I did this with a bard I made immediately after watching Kubo and the Two Strings. Refluffed / flavored every spell to be done with origami papers.

Exalted has a artefact called a Singing Staff that has a weird take on music powers. It's a jade staff that the user plays with a bow, and reshapes the landscape in accordance with the music played on it. You can music buildings into existence with it if you're skilled enough.

I was thinking of just exaggerating what music already does to people.

Can make you rage / hulk out.
Bring people to uncontrollable tears and weeping.
Flood painful or happy memories.
Heighten tension / paranoia to the point of debilitating.
Can bring people together to the point of forming long term bonds. etc. etc.

Fracturing or thinning the lines between one world and another.

A sort of summoner of sorts?

Oh fuck yes. Was one of my favourite book series. Wasn't a lotta magic music based in that series though? I remember whistling was required to fly some kinda paper glider

Monk's got the Quivering Palm skill, which causes one of their hits to start lethal vibrations in a body which can kill someone.
You could have some kinda villain who can induce these same kind of vibrations through resonance?
Or for a more joke spin, have a villain who mastered the 'brown note', so he can make people shit themselves with music.

It's been done.

shapeshifting like in that platformer that i'm gonna rip off with changing only scenery
buffs and debuffs based on the music (youtube.com/watch?v=nM__lPTWThU - COMBAT MONSTER, youtube.com/watch?v=yDxGZ7EYrvk - comfy, youtube.com/watch?v=ysFxrPNjvNA - despair, youtube.com/watch?v=03qBqP2I4p8 - you gonna carry that weight)
that too is a nice idea
youtube.com/watch?v=whhQRAaldBM

There's not much you can do with music that's actually unique to music. Musical magic isn't really a power in its own right so much as a casting method for whatever your spells are meant to do.

depends on the setting

>Suncoast
Man I remember back when I used to pick up weird anime and kungfu movies the one at my local mall. Are they still around?