Legend of the Five Rings General: Post Kiku Matsuri

The Kiku Matsuri is completed! Dragon have won the Emperor's Favor, with an impressive total of 8 being elevated to Hatamoto! Though the Crane have won a most glorious victory as Champions of the Kiku Matsuri, the weekend belongs to the Dragon! The Great Clans each have their roles, the stage is set, the stakes are known. We look now to the future. Who will be victorious at Winter Court? Who will take the Shogunate?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.ebay.com/itm/322662768061?_mwBanner=1
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>The Great Clans each have their roles
Not the Unicorn judging by that hatomoto spread

On day 2 (friday) the top 2 of each clan became Hatamoto if they were not already. Unicorn has 2 Hatamoto exactly. Those two chose the Role of their Clan.

So what do crane get for winning today's tournament, Anything?

How did the Hatamotos vote? I believe the Crane was supportive of the Meishodo being taught? As a way to keep the Unicorn as possible political ally, specially against the Lion?

The winner of the tournament gets some kinda card prize. Winter Court is the first tournament where the winner gets a story prize.

We know that investigation won the vote. Some people have reported that it was Phoenix and Lion vs everyone else. No proof has been given.

Iirc it was Phoenix lion v everyone else but that was just one user saying that last thread with no evidence as far as I know

It was reported as 14-8 in favor of investigation, with the Lion and the Phoenix being those 8 votes for banning. This was never confirmed, but it makes sense.

So considering how LCG focused this and the last thread were this might be out of place, but which is the most interesting non shugenja Phoenix clan school

The threads are LCG-focused because there's no companion RPG to go with it yet so we can only talk about the older editions.

That being said, I'm a fan of the Kuni. Creeplords but in a science (not SCIENCE!) way.

Wew, I totally read that as "non-Phoenix shugenja school", rip me. In that case, I guess the henshin are non-shugenja enough?

The Henshin are pretty interesting. They're a super-secretive order of monks (we don't even know if they exist in the new canon) who are part of the Asako family. They follow a philosophy that involves using riddles the elements into helping them out, and their master don't age and tend to become minor gods when they finally get around to dieing. Their philosophy was to Asako by Shiba, who didn't want Isawa and his people finding out Shiba's last secret. The Isawa know that Shiba taught Asako something that they never learned, but they don't know what it was. The Isawa are understandably unhappy that they have something that they haven't been able to find out for a thousand years right in front.

I like the Henshin because they show another perspective on the Rokugani religious worldview, because they make it so the Asako have more going on, and because they contribute to the endless Phoenix infighting. I really hope they come back in the new canon.

That's a non-Phoenix-Clan shugenja school. The Kuni are pretty great, though. Creepy guys in face paint who dissect monsters to scientifically study their enemies.

I meant "Using riddles to trick the elements into helping them out".

It's okay man. The kuni are cool though

I accidentally liked to a different ther for the first one

Shiba Bushi in 3e was a fun as hell school, but it has been nerfed pretty hard both in techniques and in that polearms are shitty.

The funny thing about the henshin is that while the Isawa yell about heresy and so on, they have a literally heretic cult right in the middle of their clan. The henshin deny among many other things the ability of the Emperor to enthrone Fortunes, which is one of the reasons why they keep their stuff really down low and retire the lucky few that make it to immortalhood from common life.

I've run a few long form 4e games which inevitably have a Shiba. I've never noticed them to seem to drag in effectiveness or anything

Do we have any idea what the Emperor's Favor actually does?

The Dragon have the favour means that the decorations at Winter Court will be Dragon-themed.

>Dragon themed decoration

So there won't be decorations?

Rope belts for everyone!

The Dragon aren't *all* ascetics.

Do the individual clans have accents when speaking? Do the crane have the equivalent of a posh British accent? Do the sparrow sound like hillbillies? What clan has what accent?

Unicorns have an archaic accent because the Rougani they spoke drifted a lot less over their absence than that spoken back home. With Moto this is sometimes coupled with the accent left over from when they spoke their own language.

I just thought of something interesting. With the new fiction Iuchi Shahai is sent to the Seppun to teach them about meishodo. Daigotsu was one of the children of Hantei XXXVIII. Having them meet and become lovers would not be too over the top. Then they plot to remove Satorii (the imperial heir). It would be quite interesting if instead of the Scorpion Coup we have a coup engineered by Daigotsu and Shahai.

Given Horvath's boner for them, I'm a little suspicious

I'm still thinking she makes a Meishodo Sword. Since Meishodo is inferred as Djinn Magic, it replaces the Bloodswords, and thus Ambition.

She could give it to Ishikawa, who'll go nuts and the story choice would be reinstituting the magistrates.

OR

She gives it to Shoju, for Muh Coup.

>Djinn Magic

Meishodo still seems to be magic based on invoking the true Names of things. I think the djinn in Smokeless Fire is just one of those things a Unicorn happened to learn the Name of and bound. It's not an entirely djinn-based system.

So if you know the true name of the Djinn, and give the talisman to someone who doesn't know the true name of the Djinn, what happens?

Shahai was never a creator. That was always Yajinden and Kokujin's thing. So her forging Ambition seems a little out there.

I suspect the talisman holds them by having the true name on it, so it's probably a moot point.

Does Sotorii still have THE VOICE in this incarnation? In 1E he's just this kid that is really afraid to go to sleep and also likes the Unicorn warhorses a lot, before shit starts going down.

So having the timeline resets from the pre-coup,things will unfold the same more or less?
Or perhaps even the coup will be diverse or not happening?
Someone said anything?

Things are probably going to change a lot from the original timeline. There probably won't be a Scorpion Clan coup, and the Hantei dynasty may not end with a coup at all. (I assume that Hantei line is still goint to end during the story, but that's my personal assumption.) Things are already quite different, and we've only had one story prize so far.

It's highly doubtful things will play out the same, because it would be incredibly boring and uneventful to have the new game just be a rehash of the old one.

ah,what happened for now in the plot?

Well, Bayushi Shoju seems to be against the coup, as he was the primary actor in it, it already shows how different it is.

The only plot thing that has been resolved is whether or not meishodo would be declared heresy. If not declared heresy then the Unicorn have to share it with the Hidden Guard. The vote was that the Unicorn Share meishodo with the Hidden Guard.

So I asked this in the thread before last, but what does your character's katana look like?

i promise that I will get the joke this time

To be fair here, the whole reason he went into a coup was because he got a prophecy that the Hantei would spawn Fu Leng.

Poor, sweet user, there's a new joke now. Everyone's katana looks straight.

Crane lands are after getting hit by a tsunami, and their paddy fields are ruined, so their economy is not doing very well. Lion and Crane are fighting over Toshi Ranbo again. Dragon birth rates have plummeted and they've had to start adopting commoner children to keep their numbers up. Meanwhile, a Shinseist sect that really doesn't like samurai is getting popular up north. The Phoenix have outlawed that sect, and are demanding that the Dragon ban it if they want help from the Phoenix. The Unicorn champ was going to marry a Lion, but found out that the Lion in question was married, and was going to divorce his wife to marry her, so she broke off the marriage, guaranteeing that the Unicorn and Lion will go to war. The Phoenix have demanded that the Imperial court do something about the Unicorn's meishodo, and that gave us our first story decision.

The Phoenix and Lion players voted to ban the weird gaijin magic, while the Dragon, Scorpion, Crane, and Crab all voted to have the Unicorn teach it to the Hidden Guard. (No Unicorn players did well enough to vote, ironically.) So in the latest fiction, Seppun Ishikawa has demanded that the Unicorn send a promising young shugenja who also happens to be the Iuchi daimyo's daughter to Otosan Uchi as a combined teacher and hostage. Her name's Iuchi Shahai.

Keep that gross shit in either 2013 or facebook. Not here.

Yo don't diss our waifu, bitch

>The Phoenix and Lion players voted to ban the weird gaijin magic, while the Dragon, Scorpion, Crane, and Crab all voted to have the Unicorn teach it to the Hidden Guard.

Only the Lion players voted for a ban. The Phoenix players abstained because there were no Unicorn votes, and the felt inclined to keep impartibility. There were also some Scorp and Crab players who voted ban.

Also, I'm hearing rumours about Crab having a hard time because their players were shit.

Shiba in 4e are pretty great Void burners. They have a really great combo with themselves. Two high ranked Shiba on the same side can spend a ludicrous amount of void for many rounds in a row.

Where are you getting this info?

Which honestly probably doesn't mean anything. The Seppun are an extremely traditional family, so they're unlikely to utilize meishodo very much once they understand it enough to counter it, and they have absolutely no reason to spread it further.

The issue isn't that it's being taught to the Hidden Guard, it's who's doing the teaching.

Their tech only gives them 1 void point a round during reaction if someone else used a void point during combat, and only twice per skirmish. It's nice, but it isn't a void battery.

> most interesting non shugenja Phoenix clan school
Next question, what's the most interesting Crane clan duellist school?

>what's the most interesting Crane clan duellist school?
Kakita, baby

If the other person has the same tech, they pass the points back and forth. Most combats are done in less than 4 rounds anyway, so two Shiba with 3 void or more can pretty much use void every single round and then meditate to get them back as soon as they have a bit of time.

Dude, all the cool swordspeople have white hair. Fulgrim, Sephiroth, that captain from Bleach.

Managed to get 10 people in line at the FFG booth and bought 20 cores. Keeping 3 and selling the rest on Ebay for $120 a pop. Gotta love FFG's early releases.

It's hard to imagine anyone being so stupid as to buy a single box for 120 that they can't even use to play against their friends. They'd need 3 boxes at least.

Already sold all of them. a lot of people bought 3 at a time.

I hate this gay earth

Missed the tournament, what's this about straight katanas?

It's from the Unicorn story

Katanas, in comparison to the scimitars they were used to, seem like straight blades to them.

Katanas are basically as straight as a sword can get if you assume that swords need some curve to be chopping weapons.

Henshin are the physical manifestation of Someisa's Secret and Shinsei's Secret.

Also, in a previous thread, I asked what the katanas of anons looked like. An user said his was round, spiky and iron. He ment his was a tetsubo. I just shrugged and thought that user wasn't an expert.

I made that post; each hatamoto that voted had a chance to give a short speech to the crowd and all the Lion and Phoenix hatamotos were in favor of banning. It is true that the actual vote was a closed ballot which will probably never be posted, but given their speeches the 14-8 vote is as good as we'll get. My friends seem to think there was a Lion who dissented, so maybe it was 15-7.

Also, people calling three role choices fake in last thread is funny. Roles were chosen Friday night, before the top cut, because it's possible that nobody of a clan makes it to cut to do the choice. Thankfully that didn't happen though, as even unicorn had two people in the cut.

Alright, some thoughts of mine as i am still relatively 'new' to L5R ( started playing the game near mid Ivory Edition ) but have enough experience and lore knowledge to have complaints.

First off, i want FFG to tell us everything that has happened in the empire up until now. While its largely trivial for 99% of players i want to know if everything up until this point in the lore is predominantly unchanged ( same Kami fights at the dawn of the empire? Do the five races that predate humanity still exist in the lore? Are the Gaijin empires still the same [Senpet, Yodotai, Meranae, Thrane]? ).

Direct bitching about what we know. Overall im very happy with the marketing for the game, L5R was never really about crazy card quality so its good that the game has a low monetary entry fee. I am especially excited to know that tournament (Kotei) winners will be able to influence the story-line. I have never been very competitive at tournaments as i cared little for the meager prizes they give. But im absolutely going to go full out in order to win every major tournament i can in order to have a lasting legacy with this game ( dont fuck it up FFG ).

The main issue, Meishodo. 'Name Magic' eh? Hmm, now where have i heard that before... oh yeah, my beloved Ratlings and their name magic. I get it that this is supposed to be 'gaijin' and correlates to Djinn, which has me interested, but it has me far more frightened that FFG might not give any shits about the Nezumi ( ratlings ) or Naga, and their identities might be wholly underplayed. I want to give FFG the benefit o the doubt, perhaps eventually Ratlings and Naga will come into the game with crazy new identities.

Only time will tell.

Meishodo being special name magic is pre-FFG.

>'Name Magic' eh? Hmm, now where have i heard that before... oh yeah, my beloved Ratlings and their name magic.
A significant portion of L5R revolves around name. Lying Darkness and consuming reality through unnaming things, the ability celestial beings have to empower others (from Sun & Moon literally naming everything in creation to the Kami naming the families, or Hantei raising mortals to the status of fortunes), oni being given someone's name, etc.

I want Mantis, Ronin, Brotherhood of Shinsei, Naga, Shadowlands, Nezumi, and minor clan alliance decks to go and stay gone

Nezumi name magic is also very different from Meishodo. Meishodo uses the name of the thing to command that thing-- the name is the tool. Nezumi name magic affects the names themselves in order to invoke effects-- the names are the target.

It's all 'very different'. The point is, there's an underlying theme to power in the L5R setting, and name is it.

Fuck off and fuck you you scalping little bitch

We must learn the true name of ningen-do itself

This sounds like a job for the Isawa! (cue the entire Shiba family facepalming in unison again)

There is a reason why the Shiba the best Yojimbos in Rokugan. Their patience is limitless.

They will do their best.

Not just decorations but promos too. Extended art Niten Master, Let Go, Tattooed Wanderer when?

They are a parent patiently explaining for a thousand years to their curious precocious baby that the stove will burn them every time they touch it.

Are there news about the mantis?

No

A man named Yoritomo was mentioned leading a pirate gang that was messing with the Crane. We don't know if there is a Mantis clan.

Ganbarimasu.

My clan champion can't be this cute

Now I want a Shiba waifu

The Lion hatamoto is selling his stone cut role card in ebay:

m.ebay.com/itm/322662768061?_mwBanner=1

Most honorable clan.

I'd sell it too. That shit is gaudy and I prefer the regular role cards. It isn't like trying to sell a trophy. It's a game piece.

So what roles are the clans locked into now?

I have to lol at the idiots selling LCG boxes on ebay for $120 and the idiots buying them for that price when 1. they won't have anyone to play with, and 2. they'll be able to get three boxes for that price in a month.

Fucking retards.

Hotaru does not need gaudy accoutrements to shine.

>crane
yes she does

In order of picks:

Scorpion - Seeker of Air
Phoenix - Seeker of Void
Dragon - Keeper of Void
Lion - Keeper of Earth
Crab - Keeper of Air
Crane - Keeper of Water
Unicorn - Keeper of Fire

Note that the Crane hatamoto that picked the role is not the guy who won the top cut. Nobody really understands why he picked it over fire.

Water gives you a better defense. It can unbow your guys so they can block, and it can bow potential attackers. It also incentivizes you to stop your opponent from taking the ring.

I think fire is better, but given that the game will be "out" for only 1 month before Winter Court, it's probably the clans don't pick their best roles too quickly.

>Note that the Crane hatamoto that picked the role is not the guy who won the top cut. Nobody really understands why he picked it over fire.

Probably to keep it free for pick during Winter Court.

>Ebay, Amazon, Abebooks, Noble Knight, wholesalegaming, patriotgames, barnes and noble.
>Otherwise check your local gaming stores, see if they just have them lying around in discount bins or in the back, likely to find one or two 15$ buck books that way.

Sadly, I dont actually have that many local stores. I know of two in the city near me and that's it - for a city of millions, its a bit pathetic really.
That said, I didnt know about a couple of those sites you listed, so i'll be keeping an eye on those.
Thanks user!

>Probably to keep it free for pick during Winter Court.
They're going to have to beat the Lion at worlds, then, as Lion loves that shit too. Toturi can do the same 'bring an honored keeper initiate back' bullshit as Hotaru can. Plus they benefit from it just as much.