/awg/ - Alternative Wargames General

ORCS edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks, or people's homebrew wargames. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Grimdark Future, Age of Fantasy, Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age, LotR and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

Last thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PL10C32CB2CD611E84
denizenminiatures.co.uk/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Watcha bulding, watcha playing?

Thinking about doing a heavily industrialised Orc force, sorta like the best parts of WC2, WoD, Hobgoblins and the likes. I'm unsure about the system to use, though.

Where are you thinking about getting minis for this project?

Bumping with some nice looking epic minis

Mostly conversions, because I love sculpting, cutting and kitbashing. Get good amounts of Orcs, maybe some AoS, Mantic or oldschool offerings and convert them up. If I go for 15mm or smaller, same idea - get fitting orcs and them sculpt a bit on them to industrialize them. The meaty stuff is in the warmachines and centerpiece stuff anyway, so that'd require a lot of converting and scratchbuilding to get stuff like Goblin Zeppelines, Shredders, or Destroyers. Get everything big and clunky, but not as cobbled together and shoddy as 40k Orks.

Nothing right now, everyone has that desperate scramble to do all their reading and summer things before september happens. But I did put together a low budget Pikedragon's Lament map and units for it.

Picture is not very good, but it looks decent irl.

Red's Not!spain with a couple units of lesser warbeasts, Blue's Not!huguenots with a wizard in the right side pike block. Going to use it as part of an rpg campaign this fall.

I'm working on another skellie for my sobah warband. Here's a wip shot that that one user was looking forward too.

>Undead Samurai warband
>HGUC Gouf to test new paints on
>Chaos 40k army
>Titanite demon from Dork souls
>Resin kit of Wargreymon

I have too many projects. I want to get into new 40k

>TFW no Gorka morka

Sauce on those? They look amazing

>Watcha bulding, watcha playing?
Skaven warband for Frostgrave/Ghost Archipelago/Mordheim. Got about 15 minis, goal is to have a legal force in each system +/- a couple minis overall. Apologies, this pic is literally me putting down the palette for a minute and hauling out the phone.

Currently:
• Rat Ogre. Converted from Reaper with some GS work, Ogre battlefist, and Chaos Mutie sprue hand to get rid of the retarded shit on the original Reaper model.
• Eshin Warlord with a brace of Warplocks. Other warplock arm is still curing, so he's not primed yet. Running him as a Captain with a brace of pistols or a Crossbow and HW/dagger in Frostgrave; will probably wind up as my Heritor in Ghost Arch.
• Plague Seer - main wizard in FG, Seer in MH.
• Converted Reaper Were-Rat Matriarch. Mercenary Warlock/Witch (Mordheim) or Apprentice (FG)
• Ol' Stumpy, a Black Skaven with claws. Love this fucking model (he's one of my first Mordheim figs and a vet of all my campaigns), just repainting him
• Blood Bowl Longlegs, using as a Black Skaven mutie brawler or that demon-puncher class from Forgotten Pacts
• Pack Rat (Pack Mule in FG, Mule Skinner with Rat Handler or Merchant in MH)
• Plague Monk Musician. Bard in both systems (fuck you, "only Good warbands can hire a Bard" is a stupid rule and none of the groups I've ever played with has used it.)
• Rats with Warscythe (Infantry), Spear/shield/LA/helm (MAA/Knight), 2 Swords, sword/blowpipe or shield (blowpipe arm is on the corks), Archer/Ranger (illegal in Mordheim), Crossbow/Jezzail (illegal in MH, on the corks), Jezzail (based on "Big Hands" BB Skaven), and a Slinger (Javelineer).

Plus, of course, the Super-rats. I also have a couple Rat Swarms from Reaper and Freebooter to represent a couple of the nastier Skaven spells or low-end summoned beasties in FG.

Speaking of which, I should probably go see if there's been another LRB update in the last seven years. I know Battlefleet Gothic got one..

Lookin forward to more Dark Age once people get back from gencon with new stuff.

We need some awesome goblin minis posted.

Best non-special edition goblins being crazy?

They're from Khurasan, under the Rat army.

Thanks mate!

I have my SoBaH warband finished painting and basing. This is part of the Deep Empire Rise.

Looks great dude

Looks great dude, the street shark specially.

Everything needs a highlight there. You have a shade and a base but no highlights any where.

I'm pretty sure I can see highlights on the sharks knuckles, shoulder and some on the top right guys dress

Thanks guys.

There are indeed highlights, they are just very subtle. Some are not so subtle. But I did highlight.

You're not a good enough painter to do subtle highlights. There is clearly two layers of paint and it should be 3 minimum. Are you using inks to shade?

I doubt he is a pro dude, relax, he did a good job anyway, they are better than the regular Wargame paintjob (light years from mine desu).

Cool. I will take that under advisement. I am still improving and experimenting with different techniques. I am pretty pleased with the way they turned out though.

I never said he was a pro man, but I'm not going to blow smoke up his ass either. I've recommended a thing that will drastically improve his minis.

Get the basic layering down. Prime, Base coat, ink wash, highlight. It's really easy and looks pretty good. It's where we all start because it forms the basis for every other technique.

youtube.com/playlist?list=PL10C32CB2CD611E84
Give Doctor Faust a try. He's taught many a newbie how to paint to a good tabletop standard. If nothing else his build playlists are great background noise.

>Pikedragon's Lament
Like, dragon rampant mixed with pikeman's lament? Sounds neat, any mechanical bits worth sharing or are you just adding the more fantasy unit types to lament?

Posted a bunch of WD shit here The way I was ripping it isn't working. I was trying to copy and then save each page but it's not saving them in the right order. Some pages are fucked up when you copy them due to the pdf format used.

Any one got a simple way to just right click, save image and be done with it in a pdf reader?

Started my first Judge from the old Citadel Dredd range.

This looks like a really cool warband user, you should definitely post more pics once they're all painted up.

Io and behold

Pretty nice paint job but my god that face is hilarious.

>Yes citizen, make that crime, uuuh-huh, do it nicely...I'm gonna enjoy putting you away for life.

Well, 1985 was a funky year. Thanks tho, have some more on my desk.

Don't roast Stallone, he can't help it.

Just mixing them together lightly at first. Haven't played Dragon Rampart on its own and there's a decent amount of cross over from units. The monsters and abilities are more what I'm going for.

Magic seems really janky, but PL is already like that. After we've played a few games I'm going to think about meshing it more in with how we do magic in the rpg.

>Stallone
GTFO faggot

That's obviously Stallone under that helmet and don't you deny it. Just look at that mouth!

It looks like a nigger mouth. This is a years before Stallone was Dredd

Your comment doesn't particularly affect me, but wew lad, calm down a bit. It's just an old lead casting on the traditional games board of a Japanese animation forum.

I am inferring that this miniature is actually, for reals, Sylvester Stallone

GTFO you pleb. Saying nigger and faggot is as old as anime is on Veeky Forums

Good, now kiss. but slow

more please.

excited to paint these up soon

and these

Damn, these are great. Are these the ones from Knightmare Games?

They're fantastic, who are they by?

Soon, user.

Yes, those are from Knightmare games' Greenskin Wars line, sculpted by Kev Adams.

They look really great and would work amazingly as part of a feral greenskin warband. Get a few feral Orcs in there, a troll and you are good to go. Do they have more sculpts to do a rank and file unit?

>Dat witch.
Lel.

Where is that red face from anyway? GW used it heavily, of course, but is that where it originated?

As far as I'm aware GW came up with it. Painting faces on shields was pretty common back in the day of circa 3rd edition.

>Painting faces on shields was pretty common back in the day of circa 3rd edition.
It was pretty common with Ancient Greeks as well.

check four a miniatures and the warmonger part of foundry.
There were loads of models sculpted for the goblinaid thing, i forgot where they ended up though. May be worth looking up as well.

black tree also has some nice ones.

Yes, but the "Bad Moon" face specifically seems to have been a Jon Blanche thing that spread throughout the studio very quickly. Here it's on a Brettonian back banner, f'rex.

>This is a years before Stallone was Dredd
...Son, you do know how 2000AD rolled, right? They cast Stallone as Judge Dredd because the character was more than slightly based on him in the first fucking place.

Touch me.

Well, as I was poking through WD 89 I found this ad - these guys are still in business, and they >definitely< haven't updated the molds. denizenminiatures.co.uk/

>Son, you do know how 2000AD rolled, right? They cast Stallone as Judge Dredd because the character was more than slightly based on him in the first fucking place.
2000ad didn't cast anyone. Those things are studio decisions. And the decision to leave the helmet off for the latter part of the film was becasue people were worried they'd waste his brand recognition if they didn't show his face. Which is something the film was heavily criticized for even back then.
I never heard that Judge Dredd's appearance was inspired by Stallone either. Where did you read that?

It wasn't. Dredd was inspired by Dirty Harry.

The bad moon face was Citadel's logo.

Holy fucking shit that website design.

I mean, it's not as bad as Viking Forge but still.

It's pretty standard for early 90s where websites were just catalogs they didn't need to print. No one really went to them but they existed.

Their model range is an abomination either way. Nothing of value in the goblins.They're all just blobs with no character

Is there no way to purchase Mantic singles? A lot of the Kings of war models would make great heroes for Iron and Honor, but I only need 1 of each.

You can get individual sprues off ebay.

Also they sell some sprues on their own store.

Ta.

any of you niggas play runewars?

does literally anybody play runewars?

No, but I see it collecting dust on the shelves at the FLGS.

Why does it have such a shit player base? its bretty fun

thou shall regret calling me a negharo, yankee.
i do not play runewars
FFG is plebian
why not play Mordenheim?
or historicals?
or anything that is not FFG?
this is AWG, we know better games!

It doesn't have the Star Wars name to carry it.

It has borderline GW prices. I was interested in getting the minis, but fuck if I pay 30GBP or so for 4 cavalry.

Isn't that worse than GW prices? At the very least I remember someone comparing the prices of skeletons a few threads back and finding it was cheaper to buy skeletons from GW Aus than from FFG.

they're painted though aren't they?

Looking at getting into Dark Age. Would picking up the Raze & Disciples box and a box of buzzblades make for a tolerable 500 point learning/dicking around list?

I really like the Raze box minis, and the buzzblades would fill out the last 75 points and generally get in the way/tie things up/run around for objectives while the disciples try to dent and knockdown enemies for Raze to waddle over to and pulp. That, or bolos in place of buzzblades, but I already have a lot of knockdown, and they don't look like they hit very hard.

Nope, they come unpainted.

I really couldn't say. It's dusty on the shelves, there's a battle display in a glass case, and no one speaks of it.

For just starting out, its not a bad way to go. Raze is a powerhouse and Buzzblades are useful in almost any list. One thing I'd suggest, once you get some games down, is thinking about replacing one of the Disciples with a Sister of Charity, or the equivalent if you decide to go with a Cult. What makes the Buzzblades a good choice is that, while really cheap chaff, there's a lot of support that makes them really good.

I've got a couple of sprues of Frostgrave Warriors and Cultists, mostly out of curiousity.

How should I assemble them for usability in the game? I know there's the different roles like Thief and that, but what does a "normal" gang use?

Because it had absolutely nothing to grab people's attention. A few nice looking models, especially the Skeletons, but even more expensive than GW and the humans look pretty much soulless, no flair at all. They did nothing to make an interesting world or to get people interested in the world. They tried to sell int on "This is a Mass Battles Game!" alone, when KoW already snatched up the WHFB-Grogs. Couple that with the stink of FFG there's barely anyone that'll even be remotely interested.

Gw invented it, it's the "evil sun", opposite to the "bad moon", both Orcs & Goblins symbols.

1 Wizard
1 apprentice
10 Generic men of whatever caliber you like

Stink of FFG?

Well yeah, but in what composition of generic men?

They're all the same. It's whyFrostgrave is the best wizard and warband game for casual play. You just have a wizard and can ignore all the men

The different roles have different loadouts though, right? Like a Thief just has a knife, whilst a Soldier can have a bigger weapon, there's a Falconer or whatever.

Nah, everyone just rolls a d20 and whoever has the highest number wins. No rules at fucking all

Here's a rough guide, since the other guy is clearly just a bored troll who could go elsewhere if he wants to be silly, like /b/.

The guy is approximately 75% trolling, I'd say.
Unless rules changed in the splats, and my semi-skimming missed it, Leather Armour/Mail Armour/Shield are all essentially fluff terms for their Armour stat.
(They do seem to follow a standard, with Leather Armour & Shield being +1 Armour, Mail being +2, but given that you can't really change their gear and nothing really cares about Leather vs Mail....)

Then for weapons, it's 1H/2H/Staff/Bow/Xbow. A Dagger is the same as a Sword: a 1H weapon.

It's literally roll a D20 and add the modifier fir combat. There is no difference in anything but distance you can attack

>Then for weapons, it's 1H/2H/Staff/Bow/Xbow. A Dagger is the same as a Sword: a 1H weapon.
Sorry, I'm dumb.
Dagger is an extra category of weapon, worse than a 1h weapon. Oops.

Literally what. That's patently false.

Thank you. I know it is a "swingy" game but I just wanted to keep my options open with the miniatures. At £1 each I'm sure I could get a few sprues more though.

Would you like me to show you the page where it lists how every roll is just D20+ your modifier? No special rules just a +1 or whatever

Shitty editing, spotty supply chains, price gauging, long and unexplained droughts for some games, proprietary dice, wonky balance and essential (read: powerful) upgrade cards locked in asinine and expensive ways and questionable miniatures quality (X-Wing and Armada are mostly great, everything else... is not)

Special rules that just give you a +1 to something are nonsensical if you can just roll them into a modifier. And yes, henchmen don't have a lot of meat to them, they are just beatsticks with a weapon. That was the entire conceit of Frostgrave. Are you that salty fuck again that wanted Mordheim and got mad when Frostgrave wasn't Mordheim at all? If you want special rules, play ASoBaH

>Everyone rolls a d20 and tries to get the highest number
>no, that's wrong
>do you want me to show you where it says everything is that?
>[some incoherent mess about special rules and modifiers, implying all special rules are actually modifiers so original guy was right] and then telling somebody to play something else if they don't want "d20+mod highest number wins" for literally everything

Am I understanding this chain correctly
I'm not even that guy.