Do you listen to real play podcast?

Do you listen to real play podcast?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/aWot_8E4g2c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

if the dude holding the dice is the GM, then he looks like a mega nerd hiding under a blanket. Maybe try a different art style.

Acq Inc is always a treat

Adventure Zone was pretty good. But it seems like one where either people love it or hate it. The podcast suffers because the first three episodes aren't that good, especially compared to the rest of the podcast, so people will stop listening before it gets good. And I can't blame them.

AZ kinda reminds me of Rooster Teeth for some reason.

AZ is pretty alright, it's more the fans that are toxic. It's attracted way too many irritating normies and tumblrites for my liking. Not to mention the McElroys are softboys who'll kowtow to every fandom complaint

The first three are bad? I'm only one 2 and I love it so far. I can't wait to get further in now

The first three are bad in comparison I guess. They seem about equal to any other actual play. The podcast gets way better. Though it reaches a point where it basically becomes a fantasy story and less DnD. It's still an enjoyable story though, but it rubs some people the wrong way.

Bards and Nobles is way under the radar. Comfy group of guys.

First episode is a tough listen technically, but gets better.

I find most actual play podcasts start rough. I try to give them enough time to find themselves. After all, every campaign I've ever played was the same way.

I used to listen to Campaign but they got a little out of control and it started grating on my nerves.

I tried getting into other play podcasts after AZ, but haven't been able to find one I enjoy. Any suggestions?

True. But with these guys, there's bio noises like chewing burping sniffling etc.

It's literally like being a fly on the wall in someone's home group. They're able to curb it though and make improvements along the way.

>88 episodes in
>Plot unknown

I love the characters but come the fuck on.

They're releasing a comic, first issue is the first arc, and there's a tumblr post from them addressing asinine backlash about choosing the color of Taako's skin. It was considered both offensive to not make him brown but also offensive to have made him brown, and they were treating the fandom's screeching like it was valid.

The Glass Cannon is pretty good but I lost interest in it a the second time the DM killed off a characters family only to introduce the characters "true" family. I liked it, but there is some shit I just can not abide.

>there's bio noises like chewing burping sniffling etc.
Guh, that's always fucking awful.

I think part of the reason Adventure Zone is so good and so well received is that they all have a history of working in audio. They already have good equipment and spaces to record, and the expertise between the four of them to avoid those sorts of issues. I even recall an episode where you faintly hear one of them eat some popcorn and they catch a lot of cheek from everybody else because they know that nobody wants those noises.

I actually dropped out around 30 or so, I think. It's the best RPG podcast insofar as the players are all pretty competent speakers and improvisers, but they don't do enough to keep things cool instead of le randum.

Every other podcast has a bunch of stuffy internet voices mumbling into the mic "Uh uh so I get uh like o-one move action aaaaaaaaaaaaand... one attack action...? Or two? Because I think it's two like I thought, I thought I r-read uh two attacks somewhere...?"

The Film ReRoll. They convert film premises into GURPS adventures and as you might be able to guess they divert pretty typically from the actual film plots.
Well recorded, good atmosphere, good banter. Made me respect what GURPS can do when not played by people with tunnel vision about using every single solitary optional subsystem.
I recommend starting with Speed, but they're all good--if any catches your eye, go for it..

Right now they're doing E.T. and outside of the first half hour of play it bears pretty much no resemblance to the movie: for instance, E.T. formed a mind-bond with Ronald Reagan, and is helping Earth prepare for an alien invasion.

There's one episode where someone jokingly says Jock Jams is playing on a piano and they edit it into the final cut. Top notch production.

They also work together really well, since they have a million other projects as a family. Them riffing is their strongest suit, which is why the plot-heavy episodes kind of flag, since it's mostly exposition and not a chance for anyone to respond.

Goofs and Goblins is kind of funny, but the whole first arc is produced like garbage.

They hit their stride with the second one so maybe start there. I suspect they might browse Veeky Forums with some of their word choice but maybe not.

I picked up the Adventure Zone after seeing enough mentions flying around and my immediate takeaway is that these guys are good radio hosts and producers but the DM is pretty bad at being a DM. Stop getting bogged down in conversation with every minor NPC and let the players make a decision every now and again!

Critical Hit is pretty good, if you don't mind D&D 4E.

Ghostbusters Ressurection.

I run (at least DM for) one of the podcasts mentioned so far.

Any tips on what makes a better production or what makes the game easier to listen to?

Give us the name of the cast so we can ridicule you and give you useful advice you ballsy bastard.

Bards & Nobles

Neoscum has quickly become my favorite real play podcast. It's the perfect mix of silliness and the group is clearly having a lot of fun.

Then they just made him blue not to offend anyone, and they were all offended anyways.

What system? Guessing SR by the look of the logo

Yeah, it's Shadowrun. It's total pink Mohawk all the way. It's more about character interaction than story but the story is pretty good.

A good, good Adventure Zone video: youtu.be/aWot_8E4g2c

>E.T. formed a mind-bond with Ronald Reagan, and is helping Earth prepare for an alien invasion.

I need to listen to this podcast.

I'm a big fan of Critical Hit (never to be confused with Critical Role). The GM is one hell of a good writer and the players are great roleplayers. I find the combat episodes a little on the slow side but not intolerably so. How it doesn't have a bigger following I'll never know.

I listen to a few. They're mostly Shadowrun. The D&D ones I listen to are Critical Hit and Dungeons and Randomness.

I tried listening to the Adventure Zone, but I listen to my podcasts at work. TAZ had me alternating between laughing out loud and going "no, you're doing it wrong!" so I couldn't pay attention to what I was doing...

My favorites are Adventure Zone, Sneak Attack, Drunks and Dragons and Board with Life Adventures. I have enjoyed Cathulu and Friends and Film Reroll but haven't actively followed in a bit.

I watched HarmonQuest like a year ago and it led me to TAZ which I really like it, I don't know anyone irl who wants to play tabletop games so I like my way to enjoy it

What are your SR ones? Ive been itching for one since SR storytime

I really like MILKRUN. It's a Shadowrun 5e game with a great GM. Some of the players are better than others, but the Rigger is just extraordinary.

The internet at my gym was out, and I happened to have the first episode of the Adventure Zone downloaded. Fucked up my workout. I'd get halfway through a difficult report, then have to give up to concentrate on not laughing like a retard on the press.

There's a lot of them...well, I'm kind of biased, it's my favorite game.

The Arcology Podcast: Actual play and Shadowrun discussion episodes, hosted by Vox and Mr. J. Arcologypodcast.com

Relative Dimension: These guys are using 5e Shadowrun to play classic modules like Dreamchipper and Harlequin. Relativedimension.com

Mentioned MILKRUN, I just started listening to them. milkrun.libsyn.com

Complex Action: Unfortunately, this one is ending soon. GM Bobby doesn't have time for all his stuff. But this one is noteworthy because he takes the early eps to go through the process of creating the setting of Columbia, SC in the CAS, which is a bit different. Complexaction.libsyn.com

Tales From the Stuffer Shack. This is an oddball one. They use Shadowrun Anarchy rules to tell the story of two broke Stuffer Shack clerks on the edge of the Redmond Barrens trying to keep their jobs while Shadowrun happens around them. This one can be found at Violentlifepodcast.com, which is also home to the Shadowrun radio drama casts Redmond Born and My Violent Life with Vendetta Violent.

The only one I can't recommend at all is Critical Glitch. Irregular updates and frequent cast changeups due to TPKs make this one frustrating to listen to.

Also, a bunch of the ones I mentioned are teaming up to form the Shadowcasters Network, and they're having a fundraiser for the next 20 hours or so. Look them up at Shadowcasters.network

Thanks user

Wiz.

Bubbles is fucking great and the GM has a cool overarching story. I called the reveal in the newest sidequest episode at the start.

I'll have to give that a listen then because that sort of thing is my jam. One of my favorite short lived campaigns was just taking the plot of the original Star Wars trilogy and replacing the main characters with PCs.

Film ReRoll is great but a few of the episodes are kind of a miss.
O'Brother Where Art Thou wasn't great and I felt they were a bit to meta in Alien

I dig his game but I enjoy him as a player more than a GM. His characters are always fun and have a neat shtick.

Anyone else kinda disappointed by Travis's role playing performance during story and song? Justin was so on his game, I'm almost worried he was handed cue cards, but Travis got fed apparent setup for one-liners/callbacks and just dropped it, Griffin having to step In and say it on his behalf.

I was more upset Merle didn't use the bond engine to call his old buddy John.

I didn't have very high expectations of Clint, anyway. It was his first campaign and clerics are so all over, if you don't know what you're doing and marry you self to it early on, ot becomes a jumble to manage. I don't know if anyone ever told him he really needed to choose one between healing, smiting, and buff'n'bashing.

TAZ was pretty top notch, and i'm totally going to snag the idea that Angus was a Silver Dragon for something similar in my campaign.

Ey yo shit bird.
Have the courtesy to spoiler that shit homie.

Now that you mention, it's definitely a weird class for a first timer. Being a healer is a pretty tough job. He's a great host though. I know he's in the radio business anyway but man he's entertaining to listen to, and while I like TAZ, the other brothers have really crazy bad voices to the point I'm surprised and also kind of inspired by the fact that they mostly make a living doing podcasts. Like Justin and Travis have really terrible voices. Nothing against them but wowie zowie. Griffin has a bad voice too but it's not as bad imo and I think he's a good speaker at least on top of having a great personality like the others.

The crowds they appeal to enjoy those voices. It calls to the "nerdy" with the dorky awful voice.
Hey, those podcasters are just like us!
I'm not gonna lie, I enjoy Taako's voice more than Justin's.

I mean, they legitimately all put on a good show. They're great at boucning off each other and improv and all that. Their synergy is fucking legendary to me, not just among themselves but somehow even extended to other people they talk with. Just their voices man. I guess it'd be more of a shame if people who were good at that weren't able to viably speak about it just because their voices are bad.

I'm up to date with DnD is for Nerds, pretty good role playing and their current jared's outpost game is fucking great, but Veeky Forums might not like them since the players start out with almost no knowledge of how to play and still don't know a lot about it. I also enjoy but am currently stalled on listening to Arcology and Milkrun.
Does anyone have a reccomendation for a rogue trader podcast? Prefferably with decent audio quality.

Campaign is kind of meme-y but about 50% of One Shot is really good. I'd especially suggest checking out their Numenera game (which they absolutely did not know how to play correctly but it's amazing) and Legend of the Five Rings, which is one of the better dramatic audio programs I've heard off the internet.

I don't know if their voices are bad per say, but Justin and Travis sound almost identical to me most of the time and it really gets annoying trying to determine who is who.

It's not actually true. It was a fan theory.

It used to be that way for me, but I started listening to MBMBAM after starting TAZ and I picked up the differences. Apparently it's a common problem. I actually think Travis is probably the worst of the three in terms of radio speaking ability, but I haven't listened to any of his individual podcasts where he isn't bouncing off the brothers, mostly because of that feeling, so.

Their Homeward Bound two-parter was surprisingly good.

Love already mentioned Neo Scum.
They don't have a lot of episodes (~14?), but every one of them is amazing.

Milkrun is okay too, I guess. Not amazing, but I like to listen to it when waiting for a new NS episodes.

Not mentioned yet is the already finished Mirrorshades. Also Shadowrun actual play like the above mentioned ones, but played trough twitch with a bunch of streamers and an amazing GM, Adam.
Loved it to bits.

Have you guys listened to the bonus episodes where Travis is the DM? Clint plays a bard and it's great, much more suited to his personality

Do you expect people playing tabletop RPGs to be the confident type?

You gotta admit that the Hus Firma Pride game had some heavy hitting moments

R.I.P Daniel

I've always been a fan of the Thrilling Intent videos. Light-hearted in tone and rules, but fun characters. It's animated, but you could listen to it as a podcast if you wanted. There's also a ton of long streams they made you could just listen to if you're up for a challenge.

I think it's some form of religious headwear.