media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:

How did your character first start on the path to adventure? Did they have a master? Do they idolize anyone?

Other urls found in this thread:

astranauta.github.io/rules.html#Monsters
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

In order to preserve the martial might of the nobility as a military force, the King decreed that all young heirs must have accomplished one great deed to their name in order to inherit land.

Failure of a family to meet those requirements means the house is deprived of its noble status and its land given to someone with deeds to his name, and his family didn't have the money to bribe enough people to make up a deed. So it was a bit of a family duty.

My character was forced into it, had to turn to adventuring when being a peon for a shitty gang wasn't making enough money. Gotta pay the bills somehow

Set off to conquer the world (for the good guys)

I'm crashing this thread, no survivors

kys lateposer

Kys weeb

My character has the initiative of a piece of wet toast, he stood in a field without eating or sleeping for close to a year looking at the sun and stars before the party walked by and said he should go with them, so now he wanders with this group of murderers because he has nothing better to do until the end of time. I made this character partially so the other (new) players learn to act on their own without me deciding literally everything for the party

Far Realm is one hell of a drug.

>party is about to kill Bad Guy 1
>got here much faster than expected as they ignored all the side shit I set up
>thinking of making Bad Guy 1 a pawn of a powerful wizard
>party are low level
>might make this wizard a very long way away
>traveling there will level them up thru random encounters/small quests
>not sure how to introduce this idea without it being lame AF 'note' or something
Ideas?

Next time the party spies on the wizard, or right when they enter his lair, have the wizard be communicating with his boss asking for assistance with the heroes, and the big bad just brushes them off as not worth his time

>How did your character first start on the path to adventure?
My cleric has a literaly Moses experience, with a god he's never even heard of before speaking to him and giving orders through a burning bush.

Our party acquired a baby hook horror, what should we name it?

Hooker

Dinner.

Gigan

Kinda like that idea, thanks

Gonna ask again, maybe I'll get more ideas in a more active thread

I'm trying to think of a good magic item to give to the Battlemaster in my game. He plays like a support tank, very tactical, and much of his presence in combat is used to mitigate damage from the squishier people in the party by grappling, shoving, sentineling, facetanking OAs to remove reactions, and all of his maneuvers are used solely to benefit the rest of the party, like maneuvering and menacing strike.
I want to give him something that can augment his combat utility rather than something that just gives him more damage or something. Accepting homebrew ideas as well. My ideas so far are a ring that lets him cast enlarge once per day, or some gauntlets that give advantage on grapple/shove contests or something. Anyone else more creative than me?
This is for a level 5 character.

Maybe armor with one/two additional arms so he can still use weapons or grapple more people?

Was a member of a nomadic tribe, a traveling merchant sees his wrestling performance when attempting to barter with the tribe, promises him riches and sets him up as a traveling champion. This goes on for a decent number of years, gaining experience and a small bit of fame.

Gets shook after being defeated repeatedly, goes on a downward spiral. His manager/merchant dumps him in a result of this. Finding himself stuck in foreign lands and far away from where his family would be, takes up odd jobs to survive, the adventure is one of them.

>Khorvaire is cool but the rest of the world isn't as fleshed out, not in a good way
>Faerun has tons of fluff but the interesting stuff is buried and it always focuses on the sword coast
>Mystara has genuinely interesting material but it's hard to read through
Is there any comprise?

Building on this, maybe make it an amulet or other piece of jewelry instead that manifests magical arms on command or something

Homebrew your own setting?

Thing is, Dancing Sword and Animated Shield basically fulfil that purpose and they're considered Very Rare. It might not be balanced to give a character an extra arm at level 5 when the only items in the game that actually does something similar is rated for a level 10-15 character

Three of our party members have short-rest requiring classes, the DM said there'll be less short rests.
What do?

Royalty was suffocating she wanted to fight shit.

Leomund's tiny hut
Flip off your DM

She's a wood elf that broke off ties with her family due to petty and selfish reasons, took a priceless family heirloom with her, and started out on a path to glory!
10 years later she is a half-decent fence in a port city of pirates and thieves. She got some information on a horde of treasure in a temple lost to history and decided to strike out on a path to the easy life!
Then she got captured by bandits and ended up getting rescued by a motley band of adventurers.

Find another DM. Yours is shit for saying what you can and can't do.

Is there anything you have them run into that tends to stonewall him hard?

>Requiring
maybe you shouldn't lean so hard on that crutch

t. wizard

Basically anything that can give him a taste of his own medicine. If he's constantly having his speed reduced, being grappled/restrained, knocked prone etc, he can't really move around to help out where he needs to. Also casters since his AC doesn't do shit against magic.

He's a dwarf druid who believes that the druid powers forced upon him would be a disgrace to his clan (they wouldn't be), so he set out in he world to make a name for himself before returning

Sorcerer, he's a wizard college dropout. Left home and wander for a while drinking and sleeping around. Met up with a barbarian, they protected each other from a gang of thieves and have been parading around as mercs ever since.

It might be too strong, but what about a once-daily freedom of movement, possibly with reduced duration?

I like the official maps, but I guess it's time to put in some work.

That's a good idea, I'll definitely take it into consideration. Thanks!

Why does mastermind suck as a mastermind archetype? Sure, there's some ribbons but nothing that beats any other class' ribbons.

What did he mean by this?

Warlock has way more going for it in terms of mastering minds. Less MAD for intelligence, better class features, better manipulation, probly better investigative powers. All around gooder than a MM rogue, which seems like a complete waste.

Obviously a lore bard can master that role too cause they're lore bards and are masters of anything.

Looking at the monster's manual, an Archmage is an 18th level spellcaster, with 20 INT - with a spell save DC of 17, +9 to hit. Going by the PHB however, he should have a spell save DC of 19 and a +11 to hit.

What are the calculations used for NPC spellcasters? Because it should be higher

NPC proficiency bonus is based on CR, not their "level of spellcasting" in some feature they have.

Thoughts on bardlocks? Are they any good? Does the dip into warlock offer some good advantages?

Could do good but the problem is that bard 18 is amazing so more than a 2 dip which can make or break warlock MCs is going to really really hurt late game.

Since JC rule that you can sneak attack with Magic Stone. Does this mean you can also apply Sharpshooter +10 damage bonus to it?

If you sling it, yes. That's a ranged weapon attack with a sling, thrown isnt a ranged weapon attack.

Even druids, clerics, bards, fighters "need" short rests. Maybe you should be less of a turdnugget.

They certainly WANT short rests, that's not the same thing.

Their proficiencies are based on CR.
astranauta.github.io/rules.html#Monsters
Read the fucking manual.

Mastermind and Inquisitive should be merged imo.

But they also need it to be effective, the sum features of their class mechanics.

I was only planning on taking a 2 level dip, just didn't know if it would play well with lore bard. And i wasn't sure when i should take the levels, should they be my first two or take a few of bard first?

Any cool build for this?

Can I replace Flurry of Blows attacks with Grapple/Shove attempts or can I only do that with my Attack action attacks?

Is a Devotion Paladin worth taking to Level 20?

It would also be considered denying their core mechanics. It is the same thing.

>Hey DM my class relies on this
>lol you don't need that, fuck off
If you aren't going to use short rests, you should rebalance a lot of things. Loads of classes rely on short rests to be useful throughout the day

Battlemaster without short rests is just a lame archetype-less fighter DPR turret

Depends on how DEVOTED you are to the cause.

Exactly, tons of classes have very low uses of their features because they rely on those short rests to recharge them. If you aren't using short rests you should up the number of uses you have

To be maximally effective, sure. Any PC with an Action available is reasonably effective. I probly wouldn't gimp it if there's full casters in the party but fuck WotC for getting rid of any sort resource management dilemma.

I honestly don't know, I don't personally see what locks bring to the table before 3. Some specialty invocation combos could be nice maybe but that depends on what you're doing on your bard. Misty Visions or Mask of Many Faces could be pretty good maybe.

It doesn't give you "attacks", it gives you "unarmed strikes", so you can't convert them into anything else.

To be effective and flavorful within their mechanics. What happens to the battlemaster when less short rests are given?
What happens to a party of a battlemaster, warlock, monk?

You do realize the 15 minute short rest is a thing in 5e don't you?

Gosh I guess they'd have to be careful with using their limited resources. Maybe make more careful tactical decisions or perhaps even avoid difficult combat situations.

How OP is this? I can't tell if mystic needs it or not because the only Mystic I've seen was played by the type of player who spends all his high level spell slots on goblins then bitches when they don't have any left when they need it, and this Mystic is played by someone actually not retarded.

>Mind Gem
>Required class- Mystic
>This clear gemstone is embedded directly into a Psionic creature's skull, and allows for the constant replenishment of psychic power.

While this gem is embedded into your skull, you regain 1/8th of your maximum PSI points (rounded down) every hour.

Basically lets them get points back slowly on short rests.

The PC will have to beat a Mindflayer in a brain duel to get it.

What fucking brush is that?

Maybe you shouldn't try to force classes built around a certain mechanic to not use that mechanic

Sure if you play a coward piece of shit. If you want to do that, that's your perogative but don't force others to.

IIRC its Binary Brush.

>While this gem is embedded into your skull, you regain 1/8th of your maximum PSI points (rounded down) every hour.
>Basically lets them get points back slowly on short rests.
except that's not how what is written works, they would regain psy points regardless of short rests. if you want them to regain 1/8 on a short rest then say that.

The class is what makes them supergods, not what makes them players/characters.

>But why can't i have free infinity powers to use all the time?
>Not just hiring dozens of commoners with slings/crossbows to fight your battles for you for a fraction of the cost of your healing potion

You realize what short rests are, don't you and how many are in a day?
Are you aware of that?

Yeah I'm fine with it essentially being very slow mana regen, making it 1 hour ticks is probably more balanced than 10 minute ones or whatever.

Might make it "every 1 hour of light activity", as that's how Adaptive Body's resting is listed.

Can the conjurers 2nd lvl feature be used to create spell components?

*1 hour 1/8 ticks instead of 30 minute 1/16 ticks etc.

Do you actually understand what short rests are?

I'm aware of what DMG suggests and what different classes would want to have.

Would you 1v1 a ranger of equal level and equipment on difficult terrain or 5 unique chromatic adult dragon.

IIRC only ones not consumed by casting.

Then why are you so insistent on gimping classes that are built around having them?

just make it a short rest, unless you really desire your player asking "has it been an hour yet?" every fifteen minutes.

I'm not saying gimp them relative to wizards or something. Mundane-only games would benefit most cause fuck wizards breaking class balance in every edition.

Then you must realize your hyperbole is retarded.

What equipment does the ranger have and what conclave?

Hey /5eg/, I posted a while ago and asked for some opinions on an idea for a campaign set featuring baddies themed around the 7 deadly sins, and received a good bit of feedback and ideas. Here's the outline, and I will follow up with the actual bosses. I want to see what people reckon of the fleshed out ideas.

The Seven Circles

Each one has a "dungeon" or type of encounter, and a specific fighting style and "super form" where the invoke their demons to grant them even greater power, partially transforming (anime as fuck in a lot of ways) and getting access to the darkness within. Each one has motivations of their own, and reasons for accepting the power they received, and each one is located somewhere important, doing important shit to further their goals. A number of them would have large minion followings, and would not be easily accessed due to their connections and wealth.

While they have suggested classes, they are more for theme and image than actual stats. Also apologies for some of the art, it's for inspiration on themes and it's really fuggen hard to find non-r34 material sometimes when you search "Drown Priestess" or "Tielfing female"

Pride - Oni - Demon (this is a PC)
Wrath - Barlgura - Gorilla
Sloth - Bone Devil - Skeleton
Gluttony - Nalfeshnee - Boar
Lust - Marilith - Snake
Envy - Vrock - Birds
Greed - Rakshasa - Tiger
Acedia - Dragon - Dragon (special boss)

cont in next post.

Anyone done 5e in space / sword & planet / future setting? Looking for advice on doing a Dragonstar / Spelljammer type campaign.

>not having lust be a succubus
How unpredictable of you user

>How did your character first start on the path to adventure?
Kicked out of his tribes mead hall because he is a half-orc after his father died. Rather than be treated as an honor-less coward by people that he once respected he decided to leave and do deeds so great that no one could question his right to sit in their hall.
>Did they have a master
He learned to fight at the hands of his father and learned the songs and stories of his ancestors from his mother and father.
>Do they idolize anyone?
The men of legend from their tales. Men of strength and honor.

I would have done Lamia myself.

WHatever knocks your rocks user

Wrath - Warchief Krodh of The Irascible Horde; duergar dwarf Barbarian. Fights everything, loves violence, carries out all manner of terrible shit on others. Does have some honor, albeit only when it's in his favour. Wields an axe that is "large monster" sized (i.e. would normally be disadvantage but isn't). Uses Enlarge ala duergar, and then when demon-masked grows even bigger still, becoming giant sized. Will fling boulders as projectiles, rages, frenzies, etc.

Possible first encounters: As the leader of the horde, when attacking a city the PCs are in, or an element of it attacks the city and they are tasked with repelling the assault. The survivors of the horde go back to their warcamp and tell Krodh of the strong fighters, so he marches back with a mind to challenge them.

When on the road between places, the PCs come across a large band of warriors, lead by a very angry duerger, who challenges them to a battle. Because the fight proves good to him (if he wins) he will spare them and say to fight him again when they are stronger, then tell them he is off to sack the city they were just in. If the party is likely to win he will bail saying he needs to get stronger.

Possible final encounter: In open battle between two armies (horde versus kingdom coalition as they defend some city against the destructive bastards), where he will seek them out on the battlefield if A - he has fought them before or B - sees them turning the tide. Or a duel in some location that seems fitting. After a campaign against his military might the PCs have a final confrontation against Krodh, where it's all or nothing.

Reminder that Sorcerers are the worst fullcasters and never worth playing beyond Sorlock/Palasorc broken multiclasses.
Fix sorc by
>Have them use spell points instead of spell slots, they now have significantly more spells to cast and it doesn't sync with multiclassing
>Give them a thematic to their archtype list of free spells ala Cleric/Paladin domain lists
>Buff all the metamagics that aren't Quicken/Twinned/Subtle because they're shit compared to the previously mentioned ones
Sorcerer now inhabits its intended niche of "Guy who can cast a lot of spells in multiple ways" without being just a worse Wizard. Sorlock is still broken with these changes but that's an issue that lies inherently in Warlock's dip potential rather than Sorc's that can be solved by telling the piece of shit trying to play that combo that they're not allowed to take Eldritch Blast.

Sloth - Priestess Tristitia; drow Cleric. Subverts things to get people worshiping her. Can make a bit of an accent joke here with Lolth and Sloth sounding similar enough if we go Drow. Fighting style is to summon others/raise the dead to do her work for her. When demon-masked she will use large scale necrotic spells to absorb the life of others, debuff them, then close in for the kill with some very surprising speed and strength.

Possible first encounters: At a temple or ceremony of some sort where she is giving a sermon about the needs of the faith and the worshippers that should be praying to the "servants of the gods" (i.e. her) for aid, and not the gods themselves. Her argument will be around the clerics do the work, they need the prayers to charge their divine powers etc. She will have many servants (other clerics) with her, distributing things to the populace to win favour.

During a religious holiday the PCs come across, where Tristitia is being worshipped as the incarnation of various gods and the party can see her being fed power from them, while doing nothing in return. She will invite them to join her, saying she can give them many of the things they desire if they will add to the chorus of praises she is receiving.

Possible final encounter: At the site of a ritual she is using to further her goals and take over an area of the world via necromancy and dark magics, summoning demons and undead to do her bidding with a mass sacrifice. Think old temple to some god, a dark pit type thing (mine maybe?) with lots of levels of terrain that can house various enemies, her at the bottom and center on a palanquin surrounded by devotees, then have her killing people and loving it.

Gluttony - "Lord" Gula Hirs-Gola; dragonborn (dragon-boarn? Geddit?) fighter?. Gambler/lord/all around decadence/indulgence lover. Opulent as fuck, wears all the gold and jewels, eats all the food and drinks all the drink. Hangs out in/runs a casino. Dungeon setup involving gambling puzzles. Fighting style is a roulette/game of chance, to use massive attacks with magic, or technology he has acquired over the years. Breath attacks a stack of alcohol at one point, causing an explosion of some magnitude. When demon-masked he grows less cunning and far more direct, using his bulk to crush his foes.

Possible first encounter: When in the casino he runs, he comes to the table and greets the party, knowing who they are and that they are strong (adventurer privilege), and tries to get them to indulge in all the delights, many of which are traps (poison, spells, etc etc).

Possible final encounter: After navigating the maze/dungeon with all the crazy gambling stuff he realizes he is cornered and must fight, using a room that's full of mechanical madness like whole room rotating around (changing what is the "floor" and such), blades that come out of walls/floors, grenades (that look like large dice), all sorts of food and drink (see exploding kegs of spirits above) and all around comical fight (that is also super deadly).

Lust - Madam Marielle Lux; tiefling Sorcerer. Madame and slave trader. Deals in pleasures of the flesh. Works closely with Gluttony/Gula. Fighting style is to poison and charm enemies, using her allure to lull them into traps. When demon-masked she grows 4 additional arms and a snake tail, using them all to deadly effect.

Possible first encounters: Sells out Gula Hirs-Gola and pretends she wants out of the life, giving some massive sad backstory about how she was a prostitute, forced aganist her will to sell her body by a horrible man who had used her for years. She killed him out of revenge and took over his business, selling her "soul" for power and getting the demon's strength. If the party continues to press her into a fight she tries to flee, or the fight ensues.

She owns the inn the party stay at in the city they visit to find her, and in the night she visits (using illusion to appear as some normal person), finding out which rooms they are in and sending assassins. If the party defeat the assassins one will blab the truth about who she was and that she sent them.

Maybe she joins them and gives sob story early on, getting them to trust her and asks to travel with them or for help against Hula/another Seven Circles member. Then backstabs the fuck out of them when the time is right. Maybe even goes for the long con angle and plays romantic interest to one of them.

Possible final encounter: In her mansion/main brothel where the party will be tempted with all sorts of illusions and offers, lair actions that send beautiful people to seduce them that are all assassins, magic that confounds and gets them lost etc. When the reach her it's on a beautiful rooftop garden with lots of tall flower bushes, hedges, pools etc where she can attack and retreat on a whim.

Envy - "Prince" Vidia Mohirysha; half-elf Bard?. Obsessed with being better than everyone out of spite rather than personal development. Hates other people having nice things. Wears only the finest clothes, armor and weapons, and considers himself quite the swordsman (rapier?) and magician. Fighting style is to mock, stall and lightly wound the enemy over and over, using trickery to succeed; plus legendary actions to literally copy their moves/steal their weapons. When demon-masked summons a flock of screeching birds (magpies?) that surround him like a shield, fly out to attack, block vision and otherwise are annoying.

Possible first encounters: When doing something along the quest they are approached by a noble, wearing finery and looking down his nose at them. He's contemptuous and says he could have done better, saying their paltry affectations are nothing compared to true beauty and power. If they rise to the bait he continues, warning them that he holds sway enough in the court/area to have them arrested if they try anything. If they push him he will summons guards to take them away.

During a tournament or pageant, Vidia competes (as a fighter or whatever is being competed for) and faces off against one of the party, mocking them brutally if he wins, or if he loses swearing revenge against them and saying he will use all of his resources to bring them down.

Possible final encounter: At some castle or manor, fighting through animated armors, loyal servants and warriors, etc while he sits on a throne at the back of the area doling out insults and suggestions that his men fight harder (if they are losing). When he enters the battle he goes all out from the beginning. Birds also attack people with the shiniest shit.

>Battlemaster crossbow fighter
I think if I burn all my precision and maybe a disarm, and burn action surge I could kill him in less than a round if I went first.
We both have 16AC and 50HP meaning I could shoot 5 times with a mod of +4 on my turn. Average of 50damage after 3 hits.

Greed - Gier Jashe; changeling Wizard. Hoarder of all things, in particular knowledge. Also has a massive collection of magical items and such. Has learned just insane amounts of spellcraft over the years, and is a very cunning, very tricky opponent. Fighting style is to take the form of someone the person knows and backstab them, or lull them into traps. Will even shapeshift to set one party member against another once they discover his secret. Uses magic as primary means of attack and defense. When demon-masked, becomes a lot more difficult to deal with as he will try and dominate people to fight with him against their friends. Will also use magic items and such more.

Possible first encounter: During a search for information, party may come across him, and he will either feed them false info (if they let on who they are searching out/up against) or if they have fought others of the Seven Circles before, he may play them off against the others to gain power. Could also be found at a large library, as a cursory encounter.

Could appear to them many times over the course of the campaign, but they don't know it as he's always in a different form, gathering information and knowledge on their movements, plans, etc. Will often offer help but it won't always be reliable. You could possibly make almost every main NPC this guy, and note down some things they said to him so he can quote them later. Another Seven Circles member you could use as a "friend" until a betrayal.

Possible final encounter: After tracking him to his lair, the party will be subject to a game of cat and mouse as Gier deceives them and constantly shapeshifts into people they know (who he has found out about via scrying and shit) or other party members if they get separated in order to defeat them one by one. Big knowledge related dungeon, with plenty of puzzles.

>1st level wizard
Sleep and coup de grace

Coup de grace doesn't exist RAW.