"Pumped-Up Kicks" Edition

"Pumped-Up Kicks" Edition

Last Thread: RESOURCES

>Full C17 Decklists:
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/commander-2017-edition-decklists-2017-08-11

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question:
Any new C17 card that turned out to be good tech for your deck(s)?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sekkuar-fast/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/inalla-wizard-tribal-2/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/grimgrin-corpse-born-the-best/?cat=type&sort=type
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/bounty-of-karametra/
discord.gg/is4f4gz
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/5-colour-zadatazri/
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh/multiplayer-commander-decklists/527500-patron-of-the-moon
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Nice subject faggot, also your favorite commander is trash

>Forgets subject
>Promotes Sally
>Discord
>Old news Decklists

Delete this and try again correcting at least some of those issues.

Anyone want to take a glance at this Sek'kuar list? It is sans manabase so far.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sekkuar-fast/

Do you think the removal and wrath package is solid enough?

I've put together a GBW elf combo deck that goes infinite mana, plays out the deck till I have concordant crossroads and adequate damage to kill the table, is this a "no fun" win condition?

>Any new C17 card that turned out to be good tech for your deck(s)?
Teferi's psychedelic trip turns out it's really good in GW selvala because board wipes are Satan and because Armageddon+ravages are already worth playing

Well, yeah.

*GUW

>is this a "no fun" win condition?
No it's just borning and done to death
I just don't see the point unless you are intentionally playing to win
Johnny: the format has so much more to offer

>no edh in subject

kill yourself

>unless you are intentionally playing to win
I mean, winning is kind of the goal, that's what I thought anyways.

Nice job fucking the OP you inept fuck. I bet you're the Tron guy you uneducated heathen.

Reposting my Inalla list in a half-assed thread.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/inalla-wizard-tribal-2/

On a bit of a budget and just want to get a decent core deck done until the end of the month to pick the pieces up once I got money on my account.
Budget suggestions arr appreciated (shouldn't be ridiculously high, but 10-15€ is still alright if the card's decent enough).
Also, ignore lands for now.

Best girl reporting

So what are some house rules that /edhg/ plays with?

Draw two opening hands and select one of them. Normal mulligans after that.

>any player may throw blockers for any other player

I regularly forget that the official mulligan doesn't require you to shuffle your hand in each time.

To a point, but less so in commander. This is the format for
>I've always wanted to do [really stupid thing]
>let's build a deck around it!

Officially it does actually, but the RC recommends setting aside your hand in physical games for easier starts.

I mean, isn't the rules committee as official as it comes? Unless I'm misunderstanding your point.

Not really a house rule but personal rules of conduct
>pick a deck that matches the play groups power level
>Don't go infinite unless you would lose otherwise
>don't single out a player unless they're becoming too big of a threat or they're singling you out hard.

Commander is a pretty casual format for me, I like to just try and relax and see if I can find an opening to play my big scary colorless creatures.

The point is that their recommendation is just that, a recommendation. If you look at the EDH rules it doesn't mention not shuffling your hand back in, but the comprehensive rules say you should shuffle back in. It's only unofficially that the RC suggests the change.

Ah, gotcha. Cool. I'm glad my autism is justified then.

I got a Training Grounds off a whim, and I love the card and the ideas behind it. What deck should I build that can utilize it to the best of it's ability?

Scarab God mill is pretty cool with it.

Tasigur Anti-Archenemy.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/grimgrin-corpse-born-the-best/?cat=type&sort=type

Any suggestions for my Grimgrin deck?

How do you quantify the power level of a players deck though? That seems pretty arbitrary to me. Obviously nobody wants to be "that guy" and everyone wants to have fun with the game, but who is to say that one deck is way more powerful than another? Do you guys base it on performance records that you keep or some shit?

I mean, damn, even if you're using the $$$ value of the cards as some rule of thumb that can bounce around all the time due to reprints and shifts in the meta.

Sliver toolbox

>planeswalkers have to spend mana to put their shoes on

It's just something you pick up on over time. This rule of thumb for me only really applies when I'm playing with people I've played against before. It more or less is arbitrary.

Planeswalkers can't equip those shoes under most circumstances.

Free mulligans until you get a hand you like, and if you abuse it we won't play with you anymore

They're using mana so those boots can attach to things like Ulamog or pic related without falling off/breaking.

I think he means if he's playing against Werewolf Tribal, a deck specifically made of draft chaff, and the Wade into Battle pre-con he's not gonna bust out Food Chain Tazri. Obviously requires a little foresight into what you are playing against, but still.

partial mulligan

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/bounty-of-karametra/

Any thoughts on this? I wanted to try and do something with gods/enchantments.

And Humans, Elves, Goblins, and Vampires are paying the cost for such special-needs individuals!
Why should THEY have to pay? They can just pick it up, make the bug require 300 to equip instead of spreading the cost to everyone else!

That sounds like the actual worst

Next time an opponent tries to Remove Soul my Soulless One, I shall argue that it should cost 300 more on this basis.

It's not fair that a Bane of the Living should have to pay more for foot protection than humanoids simply because it is a swamp monster without tangible feet. Affordable foot protection should be a right for all creatures.

What the fuck is sally?

I've noticed that the power level is easily quantified by how many targeted removals that player gets hit in his permanents most often. There is a guy in my playgroup who plays stax, MLD, infcombos and 15min turns while everyone else plays only fun decks that actually let other players also play the game. He is usually the archenemy. But he always wins if we don't focus our resources on him from early on. So MLD, stax and infinite comboes are usually archetypes and strategies that go to a very high power level decks.

Interesting. Well, I've got somebody like that in my group too, but any time we gang up on him to cut out his bullshit infinites we're always accused of not letting him have any fun. It's created some problems in the past in my playgroup and so now we've been coming up with a couple of home rules to figure out how to make it so nobody feels like a target.

Honestly I just wish EDH wasn't the type of game that would allow somebody to smack down a stack of money on the table and essentially "win" before it's even began.

Hey, shit OP, you forgot the real discord info. Here it is, spelled out for you:

discord.gg/is4f4gz

You are such a complete failure you cannot even make a 4chin general OP without looking like a joke. At this point you should just neck yourself to stop being such a public embarassment

Thread Question
Favorite Dragon Commander?
Hard Mode: Not Scion of the Ur Dragon

The Ur-Dragon's pretty nice, though Scion still gives him a run for his money. It's like having Sliver Hivelord over Overlord as your commander. It's hard to beat such a strong toolbox commander.

Im usually more in favor of the esoteric commanders. I dont mind powerful commanders but I hate Commanders where the game always plays out the same way like Narset, Zur, Scion, Hivelord, Yisan, etc.,

If you have one guy that's being a fucking tool just run some cards specifically to counter him; its better than losing constantly. Basandra, Containment Priest, Grand Arbiter, Linvala, Damping Matrix, Titania's Song, Terra Eternal, Sacred Ground, Lifeforce, Deathgrip are all cards that, when selected with both decks/styles in mind can shut a lot of those archetypes down when coming from all sides.

Granted it may mean a less all around useful card gets slotted, but depending on your meta a lifeforce can fuck up a lot of people.

I've changed up my decks to add more exile-removal to fight against his decks, and most of the players in that playgroup have great threat assesment so they notice combopieces etc. So usually the games go fine and we manage to keep that guy in bay. I'm not against pricey cards, but playing stax and denying other people from playing the game is just plain stupid. Tangle wire, Stasis and stuff like that are cards that can be found in all of his decks. Always just remember to keep counter spell or removal ready for him.

This guy is disgusting.
I thought he would be gimmicky with the high mana cost and the out of color theme.
But that moonfoke offering easily gets him out turn four.
Way too easy to go infinite and moon foke has just as many ways to abuse it's ability.
Was even cheap to build.
Have any you guys seen this thing float around in your play groups?

1:
check the commanders. Prossh, Azami and Zur is a lot more scary to face down than Zirilan, Pheldagriff and Kemba. Now the commander choice doesn't guarantee power level. Tazri might represent Food Chain/Hermit Druid combo but also might be some asshole's 5 color Zada.tappedout.net/mtg-decks/5-colour-zadatazri/ But at the very least multiple U generals or UG presence is going to change the game.

2:
know your adversaries. I know how most of the groups I play in go. One group doesn't play that seriously, but another is a lot more cut-throat. This is way harder at pickup games than with friends, but just check how your opponents are dressed might give you an idea to their disposable income. People who spend less money on the game tend to have less tuned decks, though this isn't always true.

3:
check how the game is playing. If the first few turns are like... guildgate go, then maybe take it a bit easy.
If someone's like... mystic rainforest into bayou into Green Sun's Zenith for Dryad Arbor you might have a more dangerous game on your hands.

This is of course assuming that you have most fun in a game of EDH through playing rather than winning as such.

My friend is a judge and she runs Patron.

It's absurdly tuned and crazy powerful. I think it's easily the top 5 most powerful decks I've ever played against. Does have some ways to hose it, and I always keep artifact removal to hit the inevitable Amulet of Vigor.
It's also pretty pimped out and she's a good player.

Do you have a decklist?

I don't I'm afraid but I'm sure someone has a Patron of the Moon primer more recent than
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh/multiplayer-commander-decklists/527500-patron-of-the-moon

but user people have different goals, I just want to play cool games with friends and see cool interactions that lead to people saying "woah" or that was insane: or literally lol. in some particular instances my goal is to play a tight game with an optimized 1000 dollar deck and feel a rush when win cons abound and every decision matters.
thus things are hard to do when some scrub plays decks that are undone by a shattering spree.

my favorite deck atm is a land sac deck headed by the locus of rage. it goes all in on sacrificing lands and getting threats out. I just want to smash someone with my grater gargadon user.

No user this is the format of
>I've always wanted to do [really stupid thing] that makes me win!
>let's build a deck around it!

The point is still winning, but a lot of people who play commanders are Johnnies so they try stupid ways of winning

What is /edhg/'s favorite ramp? What's the best ramp?

>mfw being a Timmy in a Johnny's world

Skyshroud Claim is my favorite, especially when I have a mana doubler in play and it is free or when there are multiple and it ramps.

Nature's Lore is half of a Skyshroud Claim and also amazing. Coming into play untapped is a big benefit for these that makes it easier to curve out and play your hand faster.

The didnt draw the beast thing in that sketch.

timmies and johnnies are natural allies. i used to be real big into timmy stuff, nowadays i'm a full blown johnny since goodstuff and straightforward interactions bore me to death. the last time i played in real life, i used like a 6-card interaction to destroy a few artifacts and bounce the board

regardless, fuck spikes

around spikes, order airstrikes

So I've been wanting to make a deck around her since I pulled a foil one in a pre release but honestly.... I couldn't justify it because she's just so bad. Yeah the stapled evasion is cool but that token is pretty dumb and I didn't know what I could do with her.

Decided to make a voltron style build. Any good tech anyone could suggest?

switch to Grenzo, Havoc Raiser and throw her in the 99

mono red is typically always going to be the "haha look at that guy" deck unless it's Daretti, but Grenzo, Havoc Raiser is at least spicy and (supposedly) fun

Why are people so fucking stupid they can't figure out how to make the OP correctly.

Kill yourself OP.

friendly mulligans: draw 7 until you get a hand you like, the game is no fun if someone starts off with a dead draw
no tuck rule: if you're deck can't function without it's commander it's a bad deck.

it honestly doesnt happen as much as you think it would but it can be devastating when it does

command sphere cause it gets you any color you need and only needs colorless mana to get out. plus being able to draw a card off of it later or if someone tries to blow it up is pretty great. its just an all around good reliable ramp spell

Nah, grenzo is in goblin tribal. Don't like his mode either and doesn't fit a voltron deck.

sounds like bullshit suggested by the grouphug player so he doesn't lose all the time

nah, when we started playing EDH no one knew that you couldnt do that and when we figured it out we all decided it was dumb that you could cast spells against other people but could block other people and it just became a house rule

In order of usefulness:
>Harrow
>Primal Growth
>Cultivate/Kodama's Reach
>Sakura-tribe eldar

no he's not unless you build him like that for some reason

grenzo is "evasive beaters and tokens"

building him as a goblin tribal is stupidity because he will play exactly like krenko, except krenko will always be a strict improvement on the command zone

your deck is going to be utter shit if you try to build voltron, which is among the weakest archetypes, in mono-red, which is the weakest color, for kari zev, which is a weak card

Right away, the issue I see is that you have a Grixis card in a Dimir deck

What's the appeal of group hug playstyle?

I get group slug with stuff like mass goad, assault suit zurgo smashfucker, where people are randomly getting one shot and everyone is just slugging each other because trying to combo off just gets you smashed.

I get stuff where you're just squeezing people dry- "yeah you can get extra cards but I'm squeezing you dry because yo take damage on draws, on card in hand, and I'm taking everything."

But I've never clicked as to what the actual group hug win con is or why you play it.

not him but the one group hug deck i have doesnt try to win. its there solely to try and enable whatever weird johnny shit the other people in my play group try to do cause i like seeing cool weird stuff happen

you ramp as hard as physically possible because the symmetric ramp cards are way cheaper than non-symmetric ramp, then hope that your giant timmy wincon is better than any other wincon. Against any actual deck best you can hope for is kingmaker and against actual smart players you'll just ramp one player into mass removal on t3 instead of t6.

This, it's literally the best ramp spell in the game, you can search for colors you need by taking shocks or ABUR duals and they come untapped so it costed just 2 in the end. I use it even in my 5c decks, Nature's Lore is the second and fird we have Farseek since it does bascially the same thing but the land comes tapped

So tutor commanders, essentially.

I love that card even though hits not really that good anymore

Late bump after getting up in hopes of a response.

It's also pretty good on a budget if you have the BFZ and Bicycle lands. By the time you cast Skyshroud Claim, you'll probably have at least two basics for the BFZ lands.

How does Kruphix usually play? Just sit on mana until you can cast Eldrazi?

Generally tends to be goodstuff or bigstuff. Or both. You tend to play very passively while stockpiling mana to either use for utility effects when needed or to make one big turn where you drop several threats or a combo.

Hmm, it's interesting the different options we've put in- you've gone a bit heavier on the tribal front, while I've been working off the "sundial is only 1 card, so I'm not very likely to be able to keep my tokens around, so I've put in more sac outlets as well as blood artist + cutthroat so I get more value from throwing away my tokens.

Seems decent enough though.

A Scrambleverse is cast in your game and ends up resolving.

What is your reaction?

For each nonland permanent, choose a player at random. Then each player gains control of each permanent for which he or she was chosen. Untap those permanents.

considering im the one who cast it and it was preceded by worldgorger dragon, im feeling pretty good

i promise this card in my hand isn't chaos warp

>What the fuck is sally?
MtGSalvation.

Also, cancer.

Draw 10 Put three back mulligan, No targeted mass land destruction, Mutual MLD is fine however

>what is your reaction?

response

I've been working on one myself as a side project while I order the cards for Inalla and await the release of C17. Once Patron hits the field, even 1 or 2 activations are enough to break parity hard, and ramping in blue is actually pretty useful. I don't run a ton of Moonfolk, but artifact ramp makes him easy to drop and run away with. Games usually end once I get a mana doubler or two out and start looping Palinchron and extra turn spells like Time Stretch.

:^)

>Tfw up till now completely misunderstood offerings to be additional costs, not alternatives
Oh shit Patron of the Orochi probably isn't garbage then.

omnath here to tell you i love you

Bonus points if you protection in response to your own scrambleverse after the round of nobody countering it.

>after the round of nobody countering it

Can't do it, captain. If you let everyone pass priority without doing anything while Scrambleverse is on the stack, it resolves. You have to commit.

Arse.
And here's me specifically looking up the priority passing to check if worked that way and still getting it wrong.

i love you too omnath