/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7HiVphFm
>News
kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/chronicles-of-darkness-dark-eras-2
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/
>This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/a-brief-respite-before-the-deluge-monday-meeting-notes/
>Question:
Best hunter methods ?
>5th editons cliffnotes
pastebin.com/cp0r59da

>Best hunter methods
Get stoned, hit werewolves with silver plated SUV. Detroit city best city.

If bullets don't work, use fire.
If fire doesn't work, use explosives.
If explosives don't work, you clearly haven't been using enough.

>have you tried attacking from the front

> Best Hunter methods?
Always strike first, ideally by surprise. Hit hard. Abuse tilts.

Also in countries that allow it, overwhelming firepower. Guns out the ass. Even if a monster only takes bashing from bullets a full cell opening fire from a decent distance will really do a number on them. Oh, and take a page out of /k/'s book and make shotgun shells filled with whatever the monster in question's weakness is.

Shotguns are super important. Those rerolls can be the difference between death and slightly less death.

>Question:
Best hunter methods ?

Getting riot armor, a trenchcoat with religious phrases on the sleeves, a cool hat, a greatsword and a crossbow lined with silver bolts and become the vintage Benediction hunter, a man using long-forgotten tools to hunt the night in a world that moved on past him, a man able to kill the shit out of anything Satan throws at you.

Except guns. You're totally fucked if the vampires or werewolves have guns.

Surprised Hurt Locker didn't feature some sort of minor supernatural merit or something for the lost boys letting them apply their defense to guns.

Shotguns are a great Hunter weapon. A sawed off double barrel can be shockingly effectively. Have it hidden on you, pull it out, and unload two barrels of 9-again into the monster's face. Stacks great with a risked willpower.

Although user brings up a good point about a gun-less vigil. In places where guns are hard to get, you'll be at a pretty big disadvantage. But you can end up surprising monsters if you get lots of fighting merits. Also the use of traps and vehicles can be very effective, and being a hunter in a gun-less place can have one saving grace, in that monsters won't be shooting at you either.

I mean, when the monsters care about the law, that is. Some probably care less than others.

True, but even then they'll be rarer. And it requires a certain degree of connectedness to society and intelligence to get guns. So odds are the only gun toting monsters would be vampires and witches, in terms of the broad archetypes.

Unfortunately, I don't really do games outside of America.

And here, guns are pretty much the norm.

I live in Washington, one of the most liberal states around. We are known for coffee, liberals, and hipsters. Most of the cars you pass on the road will have a 'guns & coffee' sticker on them, with the starbucks mermaid holding pistols.

When I ST, most monsters are packing heat unless they consider themselves too strong to bother.

But what you're saying makes sense. If your game takes place in Britbong land, odds of gun use plummet like crazy.

It is pretty silly the few times we do go up against gunless wonders in the game. My dude has 9 fucking defense dice and rolls 12 dice flat with a sword. He can actually keep up really well against vampires thanks to certain benedictions.

Gun laws create a hurdle everyone has to either work around or work through. Its why gun smuggling / running into big metropolitan cites is still a thing. Out in the country side and across state lines the gun laws are really relaxed. The gun violence statistics are calculated / considered separate. So the source of the guns are never penalized for the crimes committed in the bigger cities.

Rural - Our gun violence is almost non existent we don't need stricter laws.
Urban - FCUK we have so much gun violence, our laws are so strict wtf? where are these guns coming from?

I'm an American too, but I've always wanted to run a game outside of America, or in a time before the modern firearm, just for the danger of close combat with the supernatural. Colonial Era muskets at best.

And oh do I feel bad for the Britbong Hunters. Can't even into knives, poor soul. Their best hope is to load up on an unholy amount of unarmed combat merits.

High exp Hunter is really fun. I was playing in an early colonial, late renaissance era Hunter game. Took on an Ancillae in single combat. It was one of the most tense moments I've ever been in in an RPG. My character didn't fight clean, but he didn't break any rules. He was in bleed out, only narrowly saved by the cell surgeon, but he won.

Speaking of Hunter, what's the craziest plan your players have ever pulled off in Hunter?

My Hunter players set a huge bomb to take down a building full of vampires and waited in the safety of... several floors above that. In the building. They pulled it off... with no survivors. I kept asking what they thought was going to happen and I guess everyone just sort of forgot how buildings work. They were outside the 'radius' and put safety out of their minds.

Which of the splats/fanbases is the least infested when it comes to SJW whores and PC retards?
I'm getting tired of sessions getting ruined because of "muh triggers". Or being too uncomfortable to even play what you want to play without potentially offending someone.

No, I will not give you the two most recent examples of this happening in my life, because this actually irks me something fierce.

Fuck. I just want to play games with respectable peers in peace, that aren't laced with any of this crap.

Welcome to the vast majority of WoD players n' writers. Ain't no way around it.

Quick. Somebody post some ridiculous sidebars.

You came to the wrong neighborhood.

WW/OP games are built for SJW, by SJW.

Go play Unknown Armies or something.

>"WW/OP games are built for SJW, by SJW."

>implying this is a good thing

Well we have a big old catalog of upcoming games. So it seems to be working out just fine for them.

It works fine for me. I have a game where my players feel fine playing as whatever gender or orientation they want, plus there are themes and rules to back those choices up.

Plus the attempts at diversity means a lot of cultures are touched on in the NPCs, settings, and mechanics.

If a few sidebars pissing off /b/-tards and /pol/ is all it takes to get that, keep them coming.

>implying this is a good thing
It's *a* thing. Feel free to feel however you want about it.

There's a difference between an SJW and a well-minded individual.

Hunter. The amount of guns, the vigilantism, and having an "other" that's preying on humanity as the main antagonist tends to push away most identity politics and SJW types. It won't attract many far-right types either, which is also good.

Not to the people who actually use the word "SJW", there isn't.

We invaded the dreamscape of some sort of dream-demon thing that was awoken in our town.

Took kidnapping a few children (and not being branded child molesters) as well as a lot of research, and almost frying the brains of those that joined the ritual.

Was fun times. We saved the day, and less kids died than would have otherwise.Only cost one of us (me) his sanity, and another member her legs.

It's an appropriate acronym.

What callbacks are there to former oWoD characters in CofD? Like, Voormas is the Saint of Paradox. The Lady of Milan is Lilith. That sort of thing.

The Old Gods of the Thistle are Fae of all possible versions of Arcadia.

Technically that includes oWoD Fae and Exalted's Raksha.

Is this bait?

I don't know. I'm not one of the three people who understands owod stuff.

True Fae don't exist within the confines of the Supernal. As of 2e the Old Gods of the Thistle are effectively something else entirely.

OWoD n' Exalted have no connections to CofD.

I believe the bait you're looking for is /b/-tards pretending to be /pol/-tards

sorry saying 9 defense dice triggered me, your defense isnt dice its a penalty.

You roll dice when your dodging and thats your dodge dice pool.

Doesn't oWoD roll defense as a pool?

Quick question: What's everyone's general ideas about how much of the population is involved in The World? Enough to create the 'everyone knows' feeling without it being stupid that they're still hiding.

I was thinking like 1% but then London, my game setting, would have 80,000 vaugly supernatural things which seems excessive.

I use one mage per 65k, one werewolf per 10, one vampire per 25, with some variance for small towns, supernatural hotspots (Vampires in New Orleans pre Ezekiel, Mages in London, Werewolves in Australia), for major ones.

Keep in mind that that 80k involves a handful of vampires, werewolves and mages, sure. It also involves ghouls, wolf blooded, hunters, people who sometimes have revelatory dreams, people involved in some sort of mystery cult, the guy whose leg hurts whenever he crosses a certain spot and doesn't realise it's actually a manifestation of his unseen senses, the supernaturally lucky.. you get the idea. It's like Shadowrun - there, 1% of the population is Awakened. That runs the gamut from knacked people who can cast a single, minor spell and have 1MAG to that Mage who was born pre-awakening and drop kicks dragons as morning exercise.

First lore stuff from the V5 Gencon scenario rolling in:

>I only know we were told by the GM but:
>The Cam is in shambles, they're almost like the Inconnu now. Almost all the elder vampires have been called back to the Middle East, and without their power the Anarchs have claimed massive amounts of territory, and our PCs were Anarchs! Berlin and other major cities among them.
>The Sabbat has, en masse, followed them to try and finish their war. Also have seceded territory to the Anarchs.
>Tremere? Left the Cam and are all back in Vienna for nebulous reasons.
>The Government knows about Vampires, full stop. The Second Inquisition has begun and The Society of Leopold is operating world wide and in force, with government sanction.
>We encountered a straight up open Baali.
>The Temple of Set is working in the open.

And most of the government and corporate structure is busy dying out as the ghouls suffer from lack of vitae.

Hey Veeky Forums, what WoD book should i buy? I'm not interested in playing the actual game, just wanna read the lore. I'm not familiar with the WoD universe at all, but i played VTMB and liked it.

For a second i read that as 1/10 people are werewolves and was really confused.

Thinking about it, 0.5% makes a bit more sense

5k of both Vampires and Mages, enough for England's biggest communities

2.5k Werewolves

2.5K Hunters since it's a Hunter game

5k Other potent Awakened; Arisen, Changelings, Promentheans, anything with a core book.

20k Misc
I feel like vampires should outnumber werewolves, though that's a bias since I'm not a fan of The Forsaken.

Thinking about the greater London Area you probably could double it. The reason I'm thinking this much is I have a Null Mysterii member in the group who will totally try and find out.

Werewolf numbers would be pretty protean, given the nature of their lives. And the Pure *vastly* outnumber the Forsaken.

And somewhere in there there's like two Purified who hoping nobody notices them.

>And the Pure *vastly* outnumber the Forsaken.

I'm rather ignorant pertaining to Werewolf lore. What's the reason for this?

As the guy who posted the question, so am I, I thought they were collectively called The Forsaken.

I've never had much interesting in werewolves.

Is that something that is actually a thing in the playtest, or a joke? I can't tell, which is worrisome.

A joke, given the prevalence of vampiric influence in the classic world.

There are story books in the universe. Loom up the different anthologies. I think there was a strix chronicle anthology that should have vamp stories.

Thanks!

Collectively called the Uratha. The Forsaken Tribes are the ones who hunted down Father Wolf and broke Pangaea, swearing to Luna that they'd totally replace him. The three remaining tribes who didn't said "Fuck this shit" and became the Pure.

The Pure live longer than the Forsaken, mostly, because they don't follow the Oath of the Moon. They do what they want. They use spirits in their packs. They're less iffy about killing other werewolves. The Forsaken are busy trying to fight a racial holy war on one end and do a job that took a God and his five children on the other.

The pure are the loyalists, effectively. They don't care about playing fair. They chain themselves to powerful spirits for their totems, dangerous spirits that want to unbalance the material world.

The pure don't care about manipulating, killing, or farming humans. They are more likely to hide behind weak spirits and weak humans.

The pure outnumber the forsaken because they don't play spirit cops. They want to rule the world, as father wolf did in the last. They don't want to be servants of it. So by not worrying about their duties, they are able to flourish.

There is probably s bigger given reason, but that's off the top of my head.

Are there any owod books on ancient ghouls? The only nwod ones I can think of are the leader of the Malleus Malificarum and that one mentioned in Thousand Years of Night.

If we believe sundered world, father wolf had many children. We just have tribes for eight of them.

Did Atlantis rule the world pre-Fall, or were the Pangeans the ones running things?

Dunno I don't think it was written with Mage cosmology in mind.

So I guess both work in a Hunter game since Hunters wont give a fuck about cosmic battles and gods

The world before the Fall isn't this world. When the Silver Ladder broke, it wasn't that Atlantis was destroyed, it's that Atlantis never was, and the world was never the utopia of free flowing magic that Atlantis was. History changed. From their perspective, the Exarchs could have only been ascended for 5 minutes or so.
So yeah, Pangeans, not Atlanteans.

The world before the Fall isn't this world. When the Silver Ladder broke, it wasn't that Atlantis was destroyed, it's that Atlantis never was, and the world was never the utopia of free flowing magic that Atlantis was. History changed. From their perspective, the Exarchs could have only been ascended for 5 minutes or so.
It's impossible to know if Pangeans ever even occupied the same universe as Atlanteans.

Uratha are a million times better than leeches. At least they have a good purpose and are of some benefit to the world. Leeches are disgusting parasites who have no redeemable qualities and are wholely a net burden on the human race. It would be better for everyone if they were all extinct. The fact that Beasts are the only supernatural splat that likes leeches should tell you something. Both my mage and forsaken characters kill leeches on sight

Both Mages and werewolves are parasites.

Humans are parasites on the gloriously perfect world. Ecoterrorism now.

No they aren't. Werewolves protect humanity from malicious spirits, vampires, beasts, rogue werewolves and etc. Mages protect the world from all of the above and worse things. You just sound like a butt devastated leech.

Werewolf.

I have met amazingly conservative, alright, libertarian, Etc types when playing apocalypse. Most of them tended to be European metalheads who despise Muslims and are drunk all the time.

It's easier to make the Forsaken look like their heroic and The Underdogs when they're outnumbered by all of their enemies who also play dirty.

There's no believable reason for this besides setting up narrative tone.

see

A bunch of spirit humping luddites who do all sorts of stupid shit that would get them killed, don't really come off as being ones who "''vastly outnumber'''. If they did they would have wiped out the traitors already. I could see the firefags being larger than any one Forsaken tribe but not All of them. The Predator King's own methodology ensures that they will never have large numbers.

Face it, their numbers come from human and spirit proxies, not Uratha populations. it's no different from black spiral dancers, who actually had the benefit of being Unified and backed by a fucking Destroyer God.

No, I'm pretty sure their numbers come from not holding to the oath of the moon and participating in a racial holy war that they're winning.

Nope, it has soak dice which is usually stamina, armor, or other shit.

You'll have to forgive me, I just got out of playing a Shadowrun session so I had buckets of dice on the mind when I jotted that bit down.

It does uf you Dodge. Otherwise, yes, your attacker rolls against a Difficulty and then you move on to damage and damage soaking resolution.

Can aimed spells be dodged?

Can you dodge my dick before I rape you with it?

Considering you subtract defense then one would say yes. (except fast casting merit) however since aimed spells have to use area scale then at smallest whatever your throwing is arms reach radius then maybe not?

Yes. Sensory range with the reach upgrade, no.

Wait what spells are sensory ranged by default?

None that I can think of. I mean you can use an aimed spell without spending reach, sure, no problems, but if you spend the reach it's not something you can try to dodge/defend against. The difference between throwing a grenade and having it materialise in someone's front pocket.

Forgive me if I am wrong but don't you have to spend a reach if you want to change a spell from touch to sensory?

You can cast a touch based spell at a distance using aimed spell rules which need to use scale. Otherwise you can spend a reach to use sensory. Page 114.

are there any cyberpunk setting for wod/cofd?

Check out Infinite Macabre. Hurt locker also has rules for cybernetic implants for mortals.

Ok now I understand

>You can cast a touch based spell at a distance using aimed spell rules which need to use scale.
[citation needed] about it needing to use scale.

Would a wooden bullet count as a stake for purposes of staking a vampire?

That's fucking weird, man. Apocalypse draws in the most tumblr tier of snowflakes in the US.

Page 113, first paragraph of the section called "Scale".
The scale of a spell is how large the spell is. Mages must decide
when casting whether they are targeting specific subjects or a
blanket area of effect. Aimed spells (see below) must use area
of effect, centered on wherever the mage aims.

It's fairly careful to use aimed v sensory elsewhere.

I'd say no, it's too small to impale the heart. Even if it did, the moment it finishes passing through the vamp is fine again.

Yes for owod, as long as it did at least three levels of damage.

Exactly. In most hunter write ups, they can't tell which side they are fighting and they don't care to know.

Yes, if it's one of the special VALKYRIE bullets or something similar.

>ITT: user argues about wooden bullets
>abandon logic here

Thanks.

I recall the general rule being that a wooden object needs to pierce the heart from one side to the other to count as a stake.
A wooden bullet wouldn't, nor would a toothpick, but a strategically placed pencil would.

There is a Cyberpunk 2020 crossover with Masquerade. It's called ''World Of Future Darkness''.

Maybe that was owod?
I think the rule in nwod is just that the metal object has to stay stuck in there. So a 'bullet' that passes in and out wouldn't do the trick, but if it got lodged, they would torpor.

So do Black Furies accept males now or is it strictly trannies?

So, about that Masquerade...

Nope, we full on SJW commie Anarch revolution now!

Don't forget how that shitty game had God awful thin blood characters running around feeding on people openly.

I guess they just kept the title for marketing purposes. If world governments know and there's no Cam what exactly is the point?