Late 80s, early 90's cool stuff

Suck a dick newfags

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/YfoPQVFxBRA
mediafire.com/folder/tx4hcy4u487pv/WD
youtube.com/watch?v=NQE1Q1NILfQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Any one got a complete archive of Eavy metal stuff?

this is some good nostalgia op

Sucking on GW's dick

Here, have a decent archive of White Dwarf, from issue 1-409 (before it went weekly, then monthly again)

www.mediafire.com/folder/tx4hcy4u487pv/WD

ah back in the days where a cute little boy can play games with a bunch of old men without anyone batting an eye.

woah. i wish this kind of shit was published today

I remember there was a hair metal band that were advertised in the late 80s White Dwarf that sung Warhammer themed songs

Bolt Thrower

Not my thing, desu

Forgot the link;

youtu.be/YfoPQVFxBRA

Also, the teebeehaitch to desu word filter is an amazing attempt to remind us channers of our cultural heritage. I approve.

Are not hair metal.

Warhammer had a record label. The WD gave away a flexidisc for Sabbath, who are also not hair metal.

Anyone have pdfs of the old rogue trader era tabletop books?

One of these things is not like the others....

> archive of old WDs

mediafire.com/folder/tx4hcy4u487pv/WD

> archive of everything else

mega:#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ

Reminder that there was a point when the Chaos Gods didn't include Tzeentch and Slaanesh but still had Malal.

Also that the Chaos Gods of Law used to be a thing.

fuck that mutant. That shit is a straight up nightmare.

All four modern chaos gods were mentioned in 1e WFB.

kek

40k general should

I want to go through every WD we have archived and rip out the miniature galleries and Eavy metal articles. The problem is I don't know the best way tosave an image from a PDF without a huge bell ache. If any one knows how to do that I'd really appreciate it

I think you mean warp gods of law or just gods of law.

Any one interested in turning this into a general?

Watched The Barbarians last night. 80's action film about 2 kids kidnapped by an evil lord. They're trained to be barbarians. The plot is thin but the world is 100% 80's fantasy.

If I was presented with a button that would kill everyone who got into wargaming later than 1997 I would press it without even a seconds hesitation.

I grew up on Mordheim. Guess I'm a deadman then.

Edge case but you'd be acceptable collateral damage in an event that would otherwise do an incredible amount of good for the world. Hope you understand.

I was looking through it and it seems like 3rd edition 40k and 6th edition fantasy are the point where GW stops being fun and starts taking it's self seriously.

If we make this a general then it will cut off at 1998. That's why 3rd edition 40k came out. You would miss Mordheim as it came out a year later but eh, fuck mordheim.

it doesn't need to be a general, we have Oldahmmer threads all the time. just chill. we'll discuss stuff then it'll die. give it a few months it'll repeat.

Mordheim is just a mod of a game from 95 so it can stay, I also think its the true end point of GW as an interesting company, (apart from the oddball of inquisitor which is arguably the last example of someone at the company trying to do it something different and adult, even if it didnt come off)

The shift is on 3rd edition 40k for sure. It's where they start making the generic boxsets we have now and started moving away from metal as much as possible. The metal market shifted and they wanted to sell multiple boxes as a conversion rather than make interesting poses

>Hope you understand.
Not really. If some 10 year old runs up to me and asks to play Gorka-Morka, I'm not going to shit on him for being 10, I'm going to start kitbashing some Blood-Axes.

>but eh, fuck mordheim
Those are fightin words.

IMHO it's impossible to pick a single point in time when everything went to shit. Rick Preistly kept trying to turn things back to the good ole' days for as long as he worked at GW.

>started in 1997 when I was seven
warhammer magic was the dumbest shit

But I already did it. 3rd edition 40k changed how the company saw it's products. It stopped being the indie company that could and became the behemoth

I know 3rd ed WHFB is probably the most fondly remembered, but it was also pretty damn complex.

So which of the more 'playable' editions (4-6) would you say is best and why?

He looks like hes about to buck that elf faggot

As someone who only really got interested in GW stuff around White Dwarf 170-200 with a stack of older issues from my cousin ... what happened after that? How did it change?

It became more commercial. Rather than releasing whatever model looked cool they were starting to design ranges from day one. Kits had to be multipart but every part had to fit together so instead of multiple torso types you got the same torso 10 times but with a different log on the front.

Anything "weird" in chaos simply stopped existing. Cluster fuck abominations became spicy space marines. You went from op to the current style which was fucking stupid.

I think there was also a point (more recently) where the art stopped informing model design and it flipped the other way around.

Old art is full of really cool imaginative weird stuff and many sculptors and converters alike were inspired to follow the art.

Nowadays all art pretty much only features stuff that exists in model form, and shows it exactly as the models themselves look.

That was closer to 4th edition but yea. The original 80's cluster fucks (as pictured here) was gone. Now instead of being friends with sculptors and artists who submitted their work they started to hire people to do the work instead. It greatly reduced the scope of the world.

Legion of the damned is a good example of the change
>Chapter of Space marines decimated in a battle, nothing but a handful left who caught some kind of plague. Knowing they were to die they decided to fight to the last, using their psychic powers to track down enemies. They were tanky as fuck because of the disease but ultimately doomed so they discarded all logos and symbols in place of icons of death.

>Legion of the damned as a mysterious space marine force who turn up at the last moments to save the day. Nothing is known about them, except they wear spooky symbols.

This is the change between them first appearing and the 3rd edition articles on them when they released their boxset

6th with ravening hordes and I think realistically most people would agree if it wasn't for the older is better cool factor of saying 3rd. How far you go with the 6th army books is up to taste.

To be quite honest even 8th is good. People will bang on about how much of a trainwreck it was because they just echo the loudest people that they see on forums with stupid incorrect statements like "you had paint blocks of 100 skeletons to play!!!" and "uh, the meta...uh I heard the meta was bad or something..uh..tournament play" that reveals that they never actually played.

Like all editions of WHFB its the same WHFB. Its not like they added in alternate activation or command and control or something.

My recommendation - play ravening 6th if you want to be purist,
If you dont care about being oldschool play 8th but change flanking/rear attack to cancel steadfast, and enjoy a masterpiece fantasy game with a richness of content and character that we will never see again.

There is a warhammer fantasy general for you faggots. We're discussing cool shit here.

Minotaur Mona lisa

The Legend of GW (AFAIK, half of this is just rumor tier anyway)

>Gary Gygax places a dragon on the table; fantasy gaming is born.
>A tiny boardgame group gets their hands on DnD and starts selling it in the UK. They get a bit bigger and make a magazine called White Dwarf. They make some games of there own, but they are all small time compared to DnD.
>Priestly and friends make a game called Warhammer.
>GW gets bigger. They start making more games and more miniatures. White Dwarf stops being a general gaming magazine and starts being a GW games magazine.
>Suddenly, Warhammer IN SPACE.
>GW is now a force to be reckoned with. Ansell and then Kirby begin exerting pressure to design games that will make money (rather then good games that will make money because they are good).
>Que a slow decline. The numbers of models needed to play increases. The number of models per box decreases. The price per box increases.
>Vertical and horizontal integration out the ass. Paint GW minis with GW paint and GW paint brushes using your GW pallet, then play GW games with them. Also be sure to buy it all from the GW store.
>Priestly leaves, GW sues everyone ever, fucks over FLGS's, and acts like douchbags in general.
>Rountree takes over. GW continues to fuck you in the ass, but at least they give you a reach around now.

NO way! I've never seen that John Blanche minotaur before that is posted in every thread and everyone's seen a million times! Hey did you know that space marine face was copied from a picture of al pacino??? BRAND NEW INFORMATION! WOW!

Let them talk you queer, it's interesting.

If I could kill all you faggot NEETS, I would too.

The mass spawning of neets is a modern phenomenon, try again you wee bairn.

I think he was just agreeing that he would push it, not counter signalling.

Yeah 100%, but that's basically a late stage symptom of the cancer that had already rotted away the old ethos and spirit of the company by sometime in the 2000s.

Shut the fuck up

Holy shit. Eldar and Tyranid symbols.

This is the earliest WD I own though I got it in 2009, I was amazed at the breadth of games it used to have.

The 80's sure had some shit art, that's for sure.
is like the only decent one.

Wowow, rolling 7s. v naughty

Why? (Genuinely curious.)

Fuck off you old cunt.

> mad because first against the wall

So even us faggots that inherited dad's cool old minis and rules would die too eh?

this is so familiar, yet google gives me nothing

someone please tell me what is this from?

The Barbarians. It's on Youtube

>The Barbarians
oh the twins! i knew i had seen that before, thank you so much!, gotta donwload that movie and watch it with my wife

>dat cover art

youtube.com/watch?v=NQE1Q1NILfQ

Have a (You) my triggered redditor friend

We have to go back.

>made from polystyrene and cocktail stick

or you could just, you know, pick them from the ground

I imagine those have a much shorter shelf life.

As a frequent /awg/ poster and being a part in /bbg/ becoming a regular thread, I've tried before but an /old/hammer (and Middlehammer) general always seemed to peter out or turn into pure imagedumping after a thread or two in a week.

Compared to great places like the Oldhammer FB group, the forum, various blogs and Lead Adventure, I don't think there's enough people on Veeky Forums with enough knowledge or passion to keep it going regularly. That's not a dig, I even see a few Veeky Forums posters on the FB groups.

We could always try I guess.

This was the first White Dwarf I ever bought. Christ that's some memories there.

The pull-out battlegame was some weird three-way fight between the original Skrag the Slaughterer (see pic), some Troll slayer and some Goblin mechanical thing. It was pretty weird. I had the Skrag figure and thought it was pretty much the coolest thing in existence.

chris achilleos. good artist. did a few WD covers, pic related also being one

but they look more real. and you can just go outside and pick some before the battle. if you happen to have a chestnut tree near you.

badass

you have clearly never handled one of those things, they're fucking lethal.

I requested to join the Oldhammer FB group and haven't been accepted. Lead advneture seems cool but I just don't click with it, it's too spread out. When you're not into historicla sit's not got much on the painting front

PM one of the mods, often it's just a mistake or oversight. Unless your name is something daft and profile picture is weed/Nazi Pepe or some dumb shit.

Completely empty profile except for a profile pick of a mini. Bog standard name.

Absolutely no reason not to have been accepted unless they don't accept accounts with zero friends. But I have no interest in having my social life on facebook, I'm on there purely as it's where miniature magazines are now and I want to submit my work to them.

Fair, I'd probably suggest a PM then, they're a decent bunch.