Starfinder General /sfg/

Starfinder General /sfg/

What house rules are YOU using? For things like free batteries, monster skill DCs, ship DCs, envoys, solarians...

Pastebin (Includes CRB) - pastebin.com/6HjrnNZG
Cheatsheet - paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lk2n?Starfinder-Cheat-Sheet
FAQ - paizo.com/starfinder/faq

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/YAk263j
discord.gg/KPKWdyr
youtube.com/watch?v=Ms3QdGIzltU
pastebin.com/mNTddcSp
pastebin.com/jBf9jKhk
paizo.com/products/btpy9u7x?Starfinder-Society-Roleplaying-Guild-Quest-Into-the-Unknown
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm not a numbers guy.

And I'm actually considering sitting down and trying to fix these goddamn spacebattle DCs.

Because it's SO CLOSE TO BEING CORRECT.

What are some cool ways to use portable computers? Are there any rules for turrets other than vague references in the computer section?

See:

oh come on, OP, ive been posting grreat sci fi art for 4 threads in a row and you fucking made that as the image? fucking hell. next time dont be a faggot.

anyway, do the machines on aballon have a language?
it would be really cool to be able to speak like a telephone modem and write in barcodes in machine language as an android

Please don't use the same anime waifufaggot OP images as /pfg/, fucking please.

I did put Binary as a language down for my roborace.

The idea was that it doesn't use your normal voicebox, it uses your little system speaker, so you could still use it if you were paralyzed, or subject to a silencing thing (Unless it was an area thing, or someone used the silencing thing again to shut up your system speaker)

It's too late, we've invited Discord into our house and now we suffer the consequences.

the very first time i joined a chan discord group i said, "whaddup my niggas" and a transsexual mtf SJW had a total meltdown on me. i concur that discord is fucking cancer

Just as Veeky Forums isn't homogenous, neither is discord.

Building my big house rule document for everything listed. And my race list. And the accompanying setting guide. Also themes.

Scifi feels like a hell of a lot more work than fantasy but any job worth doing is worth doing autistic.

The thing is that most of this shit, mostly around the Engineering area is that the better it is, the better it works.

But the better it is the more COMPLEX it also is, so an engineer who wants to push them further needs to be better at it to be able to do so. The assumption is that this stuff isn't 'standard operating procedure', you're an Engineer, not a dude with a manual.

Sure you'll have to undo all this later, but it should help for now, that limiter's just getting in the way. Oh but it's connected to this too on this model, so... hm.

So before looking deeper into this, how different are the rules from Pathfinder?

Core mechanics are better than Pathfinders in about every way, but it's still very much Pathfinder in space. Space rules themselves are fucked though.

So just looking at Crew Actions.

Captain doesn't need both Demand AND Encourage. One's a 1/battle +4 and the other's a +2.

Does an Engineer really need both Hold it Together and Patch?

They're built on the same foundation, but they have a good number of differences. Caster supremacy seems to be dealt with or at least heavily toned down. In-combat healing is easy and effective. Martials are competent at what they do. 2+int skill ranks has gone the way of the dodo. There's no necessary magic items like cloaks of resistance anymore, and the christmas treeing of magic items is itself gone, you can only have two at once.

Overall, I feel like it's a big improvement. Except for the space combat rules. They suck donkey schlong.

Is this more anime shit?

Nah m8.

We Firefly now.

So it basically has only one downside that can be mitigated? Sounds good to me. Thanks for the info.

In the end, 3.5 was the villain all along.
Who knew.

Pathfinder had a lot of legacy problems from 3.5

And likewise, 3.5 had a LOT of legacy problems from its predecessors. Like, a LOT.

People just kept on KEEPING THINGS without actually questioning if it was a good idea or not.

Wizards clued on, that's why 4 and 5e are so different, and now Paizo has so we've got Starfinder (Even if they're still shonky at making entirely new systems).

I mean why's it called Armor Class anyway? It's not a class it's a value, and isn't just Armor.

Legacy. That's why.

4th edition was a weird fucking thing
Because if you look at what it did, it actually did fix all the problems that had plagued DnD for ages
But people HATED its fixes.

It might be the "New Coke" kinda of deal.

3.5 was the big boy.

People were upset it wasn't what they already had.

Hell that's why Pathfinder was successful, it just pointed at 4e and said 'HEY he's not what you like why don't you come into my van where I've got 3.5 but it's even BETTER! We've got CLASS FEATURES!"

Someone help me figure out how blast works
>Each attack takes a -2 penalty in addition to other penalties, such as the penalty to all attacks during a full attack.
So if I use a scattergun and make a standard attack action, its just at a -2, or does the weapon consider the multi hitting function of the weapon a full attack or can I make full attacks with it?

>A blast weapon doesn't benefit from feats and abilities that increase the damage of a single attack.
Does this mean that shit like deadly aim and weapon spec doesnt work with it? What about spells like energize weapon or the technomancer empower weapon hack?

I can roll with this.

Got two pastebins underway, though I am half asleep and will probably fuck up some of the numbers.

Because for MOST things, fuck tiers.

For basically EVERYTHING fuck tiers.

Offhand, I can't think of anything that'd just run off 'tier'.

Maybe... intimidating an enemy ship? But if you just say 'the enemy level, usually equal to the ship tier', then it still frees you up to have Aces in junkers, or dreadnoughts crewed by slaves.

Friendly reminder that we have a Starfinder discord here:

discord.gg/YAk263j

>ignoring how much 4e players hated PF players

It fixed things by making them so homogenized it was entirely possible to play solo 4e games. Because roleplaying was not even remotely the point of 4e.

-2 an all attacks. So if you have one, -2, if you Full Attack (for, say, 2 attacks) with a -5 normally, you now Full Attack with -7 (for the aforementioned 2 attacks). And no, Deadly Aim won't work, nor will anything else like that (including jiggery pokery spells or fancy feats or class abilities).

Let's use Trials in Tainted Space pcs instead

The rule that specifically says you can't change what systems are powered in ship combat is pants on head retarded.

Depending on the complexity of the fight (How many ships, asteroid field?, solar flares, etc), I'm going to make it between 1-4 successive engineering checks at a penalty instead of saying 'well you were being super careful to run quiet with just your shields and whatever else active, I guess you're stuck in this fight with no weapons lol'

Unless I'm missing something, a rat can hold ten loaded pistols in his mouth at once.

For when both barrels still isn't enough.

Or a tactical doshko/greataxe.

Friendly reminder that it's a shit 2hucord and the non-autistic discord is here: discord.gg/KPKWdyr

>2hucord
That makes it even better!

I now have a truly hilarious image in my head. Shit starts going south, and the party suddenly reach into the rat's mouth and pull out pistols like some sort of twisted bag of holding.

What's the bulk of frag grenades? I have an idea.

>What's the bulk of frag grenades?

Same as pistols, so you can hold ten in your mouth at once. You can also vomit them all out as a move action, though unless you have some serious tongue skills they won't be live. But you still have a standard to get creative with.

I'm imaging that pistol gunslinger trope that rapid fires pistols and discards them to pull new ones from his vest instead of reloading. Since you can draw from your mouth as a swift action, it could work. That also means you can draw a grenade, move 30ft, and throw it in one turn too.

Grenades can be hooked up to a remote detonator

Jihad Rat is a go.

The Captain's Order action is stumping me.

Like, you use a computer check to make the scientist do another thing? The hell is this.

Tempted to just ditch it...

Here's what you do.

>Be rat mechanic
>Build drone modded with tool arm (remote detonator) and ridable mount (level 3 min)
>rat cheeks stuffed with ten grenades wired to drone's detonator

Later:
>someone engages you in melee
>use move action to vomit ten grenades
>convert standard to move, ride mount to safe distance
>drone's turn, uses detonator
>10d6 explosion in 15ft radius

youtube.com/watch?v=Ms3QdGIzltU

pastebin.com/mNTddcSp
and for ship parts minus redone weapon table because I need fucking sleep
pastebin.com/jBf9jKhk

I had very few ideas on what to do for all the classes, but we can't just leave operative/envoy bonus as is and not give anyone else anything.

Alternatively you can load your drone up with grenades (possibly with the cargo rack mod's help) and make it a hover drone with jets for 60ft flight, then use your move action to move it before detonating it yourself. You can rebuild drones for free with 24 hours of work.

This doesn't even have to be your main strategy, it could just be a "book where every page is explosive rune" type stockpile for emergencies. A hover drone, with it's 6 str, can hold up to 30 grenades at once or 50 with cargo rack.

paizo.com/products/btpy9u7x?Starfinder-Society-Roleplaying-Guild-Quest-Into-the-Unknown

>mercenaries are CR 1/2 and totally unarmored, have HP 13

>tactical semi-auto pistol sucks, targets KAC, deals only 1d6 damage, pathetic increment 30 feet

>fighting totally unarmored CR 1/2 mercenary
>shoot mercenary with tactical semi-auto pistol

>CRIT!
>MAX DAMAGE CRIT!
>12 damage!

>CR 1/2 mercenary still standing with 1 HP

Why do semi-auto tactical pistols suck so much? Are they 9mm?

Actually I just realized push-button detonators don't require an action to use, so you could just vomit, move, and detonate.

No class requirements at all. Just be a rat with ten grenades and a detonator. And be okay with constantly being a single button press from being obliterated, I guess.

Stamina and HP is an abstraction
Hitting enemy does not mean you shoot them in the head and kill them

Anyone running a starfinder game online?

Is the adventure path available or not? I can't tell based on the paizo website

... Yeah, I think I'm done futzing around with my own too for the moment at least. It's late, and this is the sort of thing to ponder more thoroughly. Considering how garbage and unnecessary some of these abilities are.

Good to see yours is going better than mine at least.

Lotta plot armor for an unarmored hired gun who just took a max damage crit from a semiauto.

It only is silly if you think too much about it
Like, there are lots of "wounding" rules out there that people have made to make the "on my last HP but full power still!" not exist
but those rules tend to just bog down the combat

Can you heal androids with the mending cantrip?

Don't see why not. It targets constructs

yeah it's pretty bad, you can use Captain's Order on a pilot to magically double your starship's speed

By RAW, they are only humanoids when they can benefit from being constructs.

do enemies have resolve? cause if they don't, then the PC's starship will almost always outspeed an enemy ship.

Just keep using Captain's Orders on pilot and double moving.

>For effects targeting creatures by type, androids count as both humans and constructs (whichever effect is worse)
If mending doesn't work, then mystic cure wouldn't either.

By RAW, yes.

I think you're reading it wrong, personally. In my mind, what that means is anything that can target a living creature or construct can work on an android, but if that thing has a WORSE effect on humanoids or constructs, then the worse effect goes off.

Mystic Cure doesn't target by type. Mending does.

That is RAI

A lot of it it is that 4e looked a lot more samey than it really was. A Paladin, Swordmage and Fighter all for example play very differently despite all being defenders but the (Very good for readability) formatting made people think that stuff was the same. So it was very easy to go 'This is familiar AND since it's formatted differently, stuff feels really different'. Even though 3.5 had two of the most boringly similar classes ever in the Wizard and the Sorcerer (Same spell list, same class features, only slightly different spellcasting).

That and the OGL that led to Pathfinder. Wizards sorta created their own downfall with that one.

>Mystic Cure doesn't target by type
Yes it does. Living creature. Constructs don't count as a living creature.

It says "one object of up to 1 bulk" on the target section. Does this mean that the affected area has to be 1 bulk worth? So if your android buddy damages his arm then if would work. But something tells me that the bulk cap refers to total size and not just the affected area.

LIVING AS IN NOT DEAD OR LIVING AS IN CARBON BASED LIFEFORM?!

To be honest I'd missed the size restriction.
Mending wouldn't work for that reason

Constructs are also alive by RAW - they are a creature. That's why they can exist functionally in Antimagic Fields.

Could you show me the quote of that please. I have sincere doubts.

Paizo made Animate Dead no longer an evil spell.

Every single undead (including Eoxians) in First Contact, Into the Unknown, and Dead Suns 1, whether or not they belong to Eox's "rogue" Corpse Fleet, is evil.

What was the point of making Animate Dead no longer evil if every last undead was going to be evil anyway?

>Some effects restrict which targets can be selected. If an effect targets living creatures, it affects all creatures other than constructs and undead
Page 272

kek'd. So RAW mystic cure doesn't work on androids. My android player is gonna flip when I tell him he can't heal himself tomorrow.

Would healing serums still work? I feel like it wouldn't.

They trimmed a lot of shit from spells, probably just didnt want to deal with the whole necromancy morality debate.

it's the PCs' job to create good undead, it's like a hidden questline in the books

which I think is pretty smart of paizo to slip in there

Because now you can have good necromancers who just want to help people by making undead.

It's because Eox.

Does Mystic Cure state it only effects living creatures? Because Cure spells used to used to harm undead. I ask because all too often munchkins will point out a clause in the rules that supports the argument while ignoring the facts (for instance, claiming monks do not have proficiency in unarmed attacks).

No, because that's not how the Constructed trait works. Anything that targets living creatures or constructs will work on them
But if it does something worse to a living creature or a construct, then the worse thing happens. Like Entropic Grasp for instance. They'd be hit by the 6d12 damage, rather than have their gear wrecked.

>MYSTIC CURE
>School conjuration (healing)
>Casting Time 1 standard action
>Range touch
>Targets one living creature

This.

>Constructed: For the purposes of effects targeting creatures by type (such as a ranger’s favored enemy and bane weapons), androids count as both humanoids and constructs.

>What separates androids from golems and other mindless constructs is that androids are living beings and as such possess souls.

Yes, hence anything that can target a living creature can target them. What's your point?
You can still use Make Whole on them as well

"Living Creature" isn't a type, user. Construct is a type. Undead is a type. Aberration is a type.

You're factually wrong.

Living creature is an umbrella term. It refers to all types that aren't constructs or undead.
I'm honestly not sure what point you're trying to make here

you can also target a construct w/ mystic cure, it just wouldn't heal its hitpoint which would be the worst effect

RAW, make whole and mending wouldn't work either

>you can also target a construct w/ mystic cure
You literally can't. You can only target living creatures with mystic cure.

That the spell does not target a type.

Indeed. It targets a whole slew of types, but constructs are not one of them

Except androids are specifically LIVING CREATURES by RAW. The interpretation being used is incorrect because androids area valid target of Mystic Cure because they are living creatures, regardless of the types.

you can for androids, but it wouldn't restore hitpoints because they'd count as constructs after the trait

>worst effect

Mind you, Androids are expressly called out as living. So while they ARE constructs they are living and thus mystic cure works on them.

And by RAW you can also target them with Make Whole
Jesus christ you're fucking retarded. That is not how that trait works at all

Androids are living creatures though. Regardless of the type, they are still a living creature. Unless you decide they are in fact not alive anymore, which is essentially ignoring RAW.

I realize you people like making Paizo wrong, but this is a case of the autists being stupid again.

No shit, that's what I'm saying. My argument here is that both Mystic Cure and Make Whole both work on androids

I'm simply pointing out that if you arbitrarily decide that one doesn't work, then the other can't work as well by the same logic

i think there's a RAW interpretation to this "androids can't be healed at all"

and the RAI which you folks are assuming that they are healed just like everyone else

i have no dog in this race, pick whatever works for your games

They don't all fit in a single cubic foot of space.

except it doesn't, agree to disagree

you sound like you're getting mad, try to keep your autism from flaring my man

You've never seen a compact 9mm, have you?

>except it doesn't
How exactly does RAW state you can't target an android with make whole?