Non-Standard Fantasy Settings

What are some good fantasy settings, regardless of system, that aren't the standard late medieval/early renaissance era fantasy.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_campaign_settings
talislanta.com/?page_id=5
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M._A._R._Barker
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Tekumel is Aztec...no, that doesn't cover it.
Tekumel is inspired by ancient asian empires...no, that doesn't cover it either
Tekumel, Empire of the Petal Throne meshes weird fantasy with...nope, doesn't cover it.

Tekumel is pretty damn complex with no European influence whatsoever. Has its own constructed language. It's occasionally in print.

It looks really cool, but perhaps a little hard to relate to and thus also a little difficult to get people excited about.

Also, looking through this list could help you: en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_campaign_settings

I don't know what you're looking for, but Exalted could be it, it has a Exalted general and everything

I've always wanted to play in Veeky Forums''s Hail and Kill setting

>I don't know what you're looking for
Pretty much anything, really. Regardless of whether it is bronze age fantasy, science fantasy with galactic empires. or anything in between.

There is rhand morningstar mission.

>dictators control the planet.
>normal people decided to leave the country and go to solar system X
>when they arrive there, they find good aliens that are really powerfull and haver powerfull tech.
>dictators discovered they gone to solar system X and attack them
>war happen between dictators side vs good aliens/good human
>good human side is losing and they put themselfs at cryogenic chambers to fight at the future.
>bad aliens invade the solar system and shoot a missle with virus that turn most humans into psychopaths
>humans shoot the bad aliens mothership and they fall at the planned and must fight to survive.
>now its bad aliens vs psychopaths humans vs bad humans vs good humans/aliens
>cryogenic soldiers wake up while this mess is happening
>this is the living steel rpg setting
>after some amount of time magic is discovered and people lose tech and start to fight with meele weapons
>this here is the rhand morningstar setting

Talislanta is a pretty weird non-standard fantasy setting. All the books for it are free too:

talislanta.com/?page_id=5

Another vote for Tekumel. If Tolkein had used The Egyptian Book of the Dead, Mahabharata, Popol Vuh, and Edgar Rice Burroughs instead of the Eddas, Kalevala, Beowulf, etc.

Glorantha. A mythic world where things work exactly like Bronze Age people thought it did, with spirits, gods, etc. Magic is omnipresent, and prophesies say that the world might end soon in the Hero Wars....See also the RuneQuest Quickstart, Prince of Sartar webcomic. etc. The Guide to Glorantha is one of the better RPG-related products to ever be created, and it has no mechanics. (The Tekumel Foundation needs to make a revision of the old Sourcebook in this vein!!!)

>magic is discovered and people lose tech

If you Speak spanish, Mascaras de Matar is pretty good, in a primal, pre-classic feel with gunpowder weapons, weird cultures and plenty of action.

For Bronze Age feel, you can try also Las puertas de Ishtar (Ishtar's Gates).

Well, it would make sense that mages want to suppress development of tech, or even destroy what already exists, if they begin to think that it could rival their power once sufficiently developed.

>not using magic to develop insane tech that gets augmented further by other magic

The Edge Chronicles still has a western feeling to it, no doubt, but amongst western fantasy it's pretty unique. There's stuff like trolls and goblins but they're all pretty dramatically reimagined. There's no magic, but fantastical stuff is possible as the whole world is full of fantastical materials and operates on slightly different laws to our own: e.g. one of the most useful substances in the world is crystallised lightning, which can be used as a weight, a water filter and as a power source.

>people at the middle of an war
>aliens invade and become a 3 side war
>aliens make people pyschopats and so a 4 side war

do you think society would be able to continue under those conditions?

>Ywn play in a campaign set in the edge Chronicle First Age of Flight
>Feelsbadman

Spears of the Dawn is some decent-looking African fantasy, sort of like the Imaro stories.

Wurm is paleolithic roleplaying, has a bit of fantasy in references to shamanism and spirits.

Clay that Woke is about minotaurs trying to make their way in a human-dominated setting. That is a sprawling, half-abandoned city in a sprawling, half-understood jungle.

>decent-looking African fantasy
Cool. You don't even see African fantasy, but what little I've seen of their mythologies looks rad.

>You don't even see African fantasy, but what little I've seen of their mythologies looks rad.

And I guess that's why he put this together, to try and show people there's more out there than European-inspired material. Back of the book has a few pages of sources and more information too, which is pretty neat.

It's D&D written by an academic/historian at about the same time D&D came out.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M._A._R._Barker

If only the book was readable.

What would I need to read to give myself an idea about Tekumel? Seriously, I can't even get what the basic books are to supposed to be