What kind of stats would pic related have? (5e) I was thinking the same as a longsword...

What kind of stats would pic related have? (5e) I was thinking the same as a longsword, but I would like to add something special to it. Thoughts?

damage as a shortsword with a bleed effect

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I was making a two-handed version of the sword. But for one-handed, sure, that could work.

On a natural 1 it gets stuck on something and you have to make a Strength check to pull it loose.

5e doesn't have notable weapon qualities. If it isn't magic it does nothing

What the hell is a bleed effect?

What if it were a magical item? I guess it's properties would be based on the creature whose teeth it was made out of?

Light, I guess. Not 5e but fragile and bleed might also apply. 1d8 slashing, 1d4 bleed?

Realistically it's a much worse shortsword (or longsword for your twohander). This causes relatively superficial lacerations, swords can chop off limbs and run you clean through. These teeth "swords" will also make for much less bleeding. Most of the important blood vessels and blood-filled organs are deeper in your body, where a sword can reach them, but this can't. Also clotting is started by a substance found in the cells lining the blood vessels. When they are destroyed, it's released into the blood stream, and set off the clotting cascade. A clean edge that severs the blood vessel with a minimum amount of rip and tear damages less cells, releasing less tissue factor to get the clotting going. A bunch of so-so aligned teeth lacerating their way through will destroy a lot of blood vessel cells, making for a much stronger clotting response.

But that might be boring. So you could just use the stats for normal swords to keep these just as viable, just a reskin, or as has been suggested you could lower the up front damage a bit and have some damage over time for the bleeding. Just be careful about the book keeping for such. Alternatively they could be flavorful weapons for somewhat primitive enemies, in which case they may do less damage than regular swords of the same size.

> -8 damage against opponents with clothes on
>Bonus to cutting down trees

>>Bonus to cutting down trees
Only if you use beaver teeth.

Ideas for creature type based magic
>Shark: gives extra damage with each crit but less each time (e.g. 1d8, 1d6, 1d4, 1d2, 0) as it loses teeth each time. The teeth grow back every 4 hours
>Venomous creature: Increase save DC for poisons
>Wolf teeth: slashing and piercing and ignores damage resistances for both

DoT

Longsword with fragile property (breaks on a nat1, disadvantage till fixed)

That doesn't seem to do much damage against proper armor.

Not sure if theres a specific rule in 5e, but 1d4 bleed damage at the start of the target's turn until the wound is treated would do nicely

It'd rip the shit out of leather and chainmail

>A single line of shark teeth tied with linen to a thin wooden shaft
>It'd rip the shit out of leather and chainmail
Pffahahahaha

Teeth would fall before doing any serious damage

>actually believing this
People have made these in the modern day you know, go watch the demonstrations on Youtube.
And I hope sharks are basically pointless in your campaigns.

Sharks don't have their teeth tied with linen to their jaws, so they aren't point less int hat matter, also Sharks have lines and lines of teeth, they lose lots of teeth in every bite, I guess you didn't know this. Also most swimmers don't go into water in breastplates, fullplates, etc, at least in my country.

>
But that might be boring. So you could just use the stats for normal swords to keep these just as viable, just a reskin, or as has been suggested you could lower the up front damage a bit and have some damage over time for the bleeding. Just be careful about the book keeping for such. Alternatively they could be flavorful weapons for somewhat primitive enemies, in which case they may do less damage than regular swords of the same size.

I approve of user's common sense.

I'm watching vids of shark teeth clubs and macuahults in youtube right now, no test on armors (and a couple of them aren't even teeth but metal blades tied with modern fibers), could you please point me to one?

>Also most swimmers don't go into water in breastplates, fullplates, etc, at least in my country
>Anno Domini 2017
>not joining the crusade to take Jerusealem

Cheap as fuck
Easy to build
Fragile
Otherwise works like a longsword in the stats department

Completely uneducated guess, but it looks like the main threat on this weapon is causing ripping flesh wounds on exposed skin and cloth, that would become infected in primitive societies. The edge also looks fragile and has no capacity to stab deeply, but could be repaired easily.

I think the 'special' thing is that it would be easy to make and maintain in a metal-poor society. A clipped tooth could be reattached to replaced with primitive materials. I'm assuming those are iron bands, but otherwise it's a reasonable cutting weapon if inferior in most regards.

>I'm assuming those are iron bands

Natural fibres of some kind. Might be coconut.

Long or Shortsword that deals an additional damage die on unarmored targets that have a natural armor of less than 14.

I'd go with this, but I'd specify targets that aren't wearing armour. It would be very useful against beasts and monsters, but only as good as a normal weapon against armour-wearing humanoids. I'd probably make it a 1d6 weapon.

Useless against armor, but used almost exclusively in Polynesian societies. I actually have a few of these in my house of various sizes, and a knuckle duster version of it. Teeth come out pretty easily though after a few good swings

Lol u mean ultimate warrior?

>Wow those teeth kinda broke off onto the test dummy skin that looks really messy.
>Yeah I'd imagine it'd be really distracting to swing a sword with those broken teeth poking your skin with every move. Its pretty much a shark biting you.
>Lets definitely factor that into the simulator by Slytherin Studios.

Looks decorative. The teeth are not fixed...

Maybe it was dipped in poop and they will get a bad infection.

>but I would like to add something special to it. Thoughts?

It came from tribals whose jungle archipelago quickly rusts iron and steel, due to a earth-goddess which loathes how metals bring "civilization" and "progress", chopping down her trees in the process. Instead of smithing, they have an entire divine and ritualized craft based on reproducing the power of a hunted creature into the weapon and armor made of it.

Not only this weapon manages to match her metallic counterparts, it may have qualities in accordance to the teeth used. Shark teeth grant a powerful sense regarding spilled blood. Piranha teeth make one fight better in large groups. Needlefish teeth make the weapon cause deep puncture wounds instead of lacerations. Humanoid teeth make for crushing weapons which seem to almost guide one's blows towards weak points in metallic armor.

Such swords, knucles and axes are surprisingly common due to said tribals being notorious voyagers, pirates and proactive guardians of Nature.