Wish we could turn back time, to the good old days

wish we could turn back time, to the good old days...

Other urls found in this thread:

theallguardsmenparty.com/.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Nah I'm good. Thanks.

the song you are quoting is gay. You are gay. Neck yourself Le'monjello.

Total Warhammer 4

Happy with Kow now. don't want to play 8th or 9thage. they feel unnecessary complex and clunky

They were gone before we realized how good it was. I didn't even mind the point reduction because the game played so well in 5th.

>The old books still exist and GW can't do any more damage to what's there
>Buying minis from ebay, third party, or Chinamen is cheaper than GW ever was
>Solid WHF video games, more on the way
>WFRP 4e coming soon and will be based on 2e

It's a bummer that the setting is dead but honestly now is a great time to be a Warhammer fan.

Then why is the fanbase half dead? This always seems to happen with games, even when no one can stop you from still playing them and all the old fluff and rules are available. Two-thirds of the community just dies off.

Maybe that's just what happens when there's a new thing. As much as I hate AoS and everything it represents it seems to be giving people something they thought WFB needed in terms of being an enjoyable tabletop game so they migrated. There are always gonna be people who prefer the new thing to the old thing and vice versa so while it might be harder to find a pickup game at the FLGS you can always try to get new people into the hobby. Hell, I've seen more people in /whg/ asking how to get into the tabletop game since Total War Warhammer came out than I ever did before then.

Maybe I'm biased because I've always been more into the RPGs than the TTG so I'm used to working with a small player-base but even though WHF will probably be forgotten eventually the immediate future is pretty bright. Best you can do is let your wallet do the talking and hope AoS tanks.

I like age of sigmar. I really do. I'm even warming up to the setting (vermintide introduced me, so I was expecting the old world). I just hate the stormcucks.

>Best you can do is let your wallet do the talking and hope AoS tanks.

Counterproductive and unlikely. If AoS does well there is a greater chance GW is in a position to support Fantasy. In fact it is with WHF RP coming out soonish.

AoS tanks, GW loses money, cant fund new projects and 0 chance of fantasy. Your post was pretty sound till the very end there.

GW is already opening more channels of communication. So if you don't like AoS, no need to even spend, just post on GW facebook and outline a well structured post why you think WHF should be refocused on.

rather I want an end times of 40k

>wanting nuGW touching fantasy
*shudder*

The fact that there are so many games about Old World kinda baffles me. I understand that most of these projects were started before AoS was a thing, but you'd think GW would push its new flagship setting more and not market nostalgia for a setting coming under the axe.

They've got a huge IP that people still like, why not cater to that in avenues other than a miniatures game? Plus If you don't use an IP, you can lose it/less likely to be able to stop others from using it.

Join us. Great community, and I really mean community. There's Middlehammer too.

>I need GW to tell me what to do: the post

and here, that was part of my original point. As long as GW keeps licensing WHF out to other companies and keeps their fucking hands off of it creatively I'll gladly keep giving them my money. The teams behind TWW and WFRP have been doing more justice to the WHF IP than GW has on its own in years. Don't boycott GW, just buy the good shit.

>Plus If you don't use an IP, you can lose it/less likely to be able to stop others from using it.
That is not how copyright works at all. Jesus christ Veeky Forums.

The answer to that is one you don't want to hear: Few people still love WHFB.

There is nothing stopping anyone who owns a WHFB army and its books from playing whatever edition they want. Well, nothing except that 'want' bit. If these people wanted to play WHFB, they would. D&D 3.5 has been unsupported for 10 years now and it still has a healthy community playing the game.

The only reason why the WHFB community is half dead is because the people who leave don't want to play WHFB anymore.

Not fully true, the amount I see on here of "well it's a 100 mile drive to the FLGS so I play 40k/WMH because otherwise I won't always get a game" suggests to me a lot of the time, people move with the crowd not fully willingly. Others have the mentality that there is no "hobby" outside what GW is trying to sell them at the moment, so they jump from project to project every few months.

Compared to the UK, where you're tripping over gaming clubs and manufactures, there's a lot more variety and a decent amount of Oldhammer types.

The "but it's 100 miles to the nearest FLGS" excuse works for US citizens (and even then there should be plenty of locals in the cities) but less so for the European ones, where hobby stores are a short train or bus away.

Yet Fantasy is also going the way of the dodo over here, with communities either moving on en-masse or slowly seeing people trickle away to AoS or other games. A few communities band together here and there and keep the game alive (heck, there are still people playing LotR in places, despite the game being pretty dead), but by and large people have moved on willingly.

Why then? I can't really play for lack of community, but the store is planning to try and get people for AoS. It's the only way my Empire will actually get any play unless I buy something like Island of Blood for some friends to get in, and there's no guarantee they would be interested. If there were people playing I'd try the game, but there isn't. For all you hear that TWW and Vermintide helped the hobby, it's not felt everywhere.

Living with regret is for losers.

Because few people still love Fantasy. For all the bluster about "the good old days" the majority of players simply prefers the now. If they did prefer the good old days, we'd have more Fantasy communities.

It's not an answer people who still want to enjoy Fantasy want to hear, but it is what's happening: Fantasy's playerbase is moving on, either to AoS or other non-GW systems. And since there is nothing stopping them from continuing to play Fantasy, most of them are doing so willingly.

That's true. I stopped loving it around 2007. I have also lost a lot of respect for the setting ever since I found out how much is blatantly plagiarised.

It get my into reading Michael Moorcock, though.

I wish, that I could turn back time.
Cause now the guilt is all mine.
Can't live without the trust from those you love.
I know, you can't forget the past. You can't forget love and pride!
Because of that, it's killing me inside.

It all returns to nothing, it all comes tumbling down tumbling down tumbling dooooown.
It all returns to noooothing, I just keep tumbling down tumbling down tumbling doooooown.
In my heart of hearts, I know that I could never love again.
I've lost everything
Eeeeeeverything.
Everything that matters to me matters in this world!

Tbf, if I'm going to play a game like that I'd want to play one that still gets updates to keep it fresh. Fantasy lost its appeal to me because it wasn't supported by GW anymore, otherwise I'd still be happily playing it.

I would argue there is a lot of demand for old fantasy based on the fact that the community itself has worked up homebrew alternatives, as well as the fact that TWW sold so well. Nu-hammer wouldn't be so bad if not for shit-cad eternals and the shitty models in general.

As a bit of an outsider, its really only the stormfuckers keeping me away from the game. I mean, why would I ever play this game over 40k?

I wish I could a few copies of whfrp for cheaper than 80 fucking dollars. The first gotrek and felix book was literally my first lgs purchase, and I love the setting so much.

I still play and collect 6th ed armies.

Recently bought some Poxwalkers, plan is to replace their heads with chaos warrior heads and use them as Marauders. Plus some Blight Kings to count as Dogs of War Ogres. Gonna be a pretty cool, thematic Nurgle Hordes of Chaos force.

3E is love, 3E is life

>Then why is the fanbase half dead? This always seems to happen with games, even when no one can stop you from still playing them and all the old fluff and rules are available. Two-thirds of the community just dies off.
because neckbeards play games to get nerd credibility and dead games bestow little of those, they only give you grognard points.

it's all about attention whoring by showing the latest stuff, haven't you learned that yet? this gets fanned by game publishers of course who mock grognards because they're scared of them.

Same, though I mourn the loss of the old world.

>even though WHF will probably be forgotten eventually the immediate future is pretty bright
he unironically believes that GW won't resurrect the setting in a few years under much fanfare to get applauded by GW fanboys for it, when they murdered it in the first place.

>this is the nu nu GW now, right?

6th is best

>in a few years
Nah, the niche of low-fantasy will be full already

The setting is more or less already revived by virtue of GW letting it be used by CA in Total War. The real question is whether they plan on ever releasing models for the old world ever again, and if they do if they'll be decent or if they'll look like the CAD shit they've been queefing out for AoS.

The bizzare thing is TWW has given a lot of people an itch for huge armies with lots of infantry, but GW has moved in the direction of larger models for skirmish games. I honestly doubt we'll ever get to the point where they release affordable models (1$ per figure) with the idea of building a large force that isn't just a half a dozen center piece models plopped down.

>Buying minis from ebay, third party, or Chinamen is cheaper than GW ever was

Where's the best place to get such stuff? Taobao isn't turning anything up (though I may just be using the wrong terms, it's finicky).

The Chinese bootlegs also uses a more poisonous form of resin.

Because
>an odd number of people lust after and need the new shiny in the game they play
>it's hard to get a gaming group to agree on which old edition is best
>Kings of War is more fun and supported

Bore off

The whole chinaman process is weird. Its apparently all about getting the email of the guy who makes them, and having him change his contact info every now and then because he'll get the authorities on him, so no one hands it out.

it's because AoS literally has no soul and derives from shit storytelling only intended to sell overpriced minis to children, while WHFB has an old and noble history that includes witty historical allusions with 80s over-the-top sillyness

by what?

Sounds a bit extreme. I've bought quite a few bootleg Gunpla kits and Bandai are a company orders of magnitude larger than piddly GW.

I've got a couple of bootleg FW kits (which are, rather astonishingly of a higher quality than the originals). I was more looking for KO plastics, I keep hearing that they're out there but I've yet to find any.

>Sounds a bit extreme. I've bought quite a few bootleg Gunpla kits and Bandai are a company orders of magnitude larger than piddly GW.

Meant to add: and those companies advertise openly. I doubt you'd have anything to fear from GW considering China's IP laws (or lack thereof). Most of the 'recasts' that come out of China are from companies being cheap, having all the work done over there (like Industria Mechanika) and then wondering how their stuff is suddenly turning up on eBay at a quarter of the price.

I too am waiting for the release of Classic Coke

Let's play a "spot the shill" game
>GW is already opening more channels of communication.
Promotion and smm =l= communication.
Fellow Empire and Brets players, trust me, the salvation is comming.

Just play kings of war you twat.

>If AoS does well there is a greater chance GW is in a position to support Fantasy
Wrong

This. GW has access to a proprietary natural resin casting material derived from ancient druid groves. It can align your chakras when inhaled in dust form. In contrast, the resin used by the dirty yellowskin pirates of the far east is made entirely of VOCs, BPA, and POC. It can give you cancer if you even look at it for too long

If you read the rest of the post you would understand

user, why would gw support fantasy if AoS makes them money?
Think before you post or else we're gonna get AoS vidya.

I've read and yiu are still wrong
AoS does well -> more Moba/MMO cartoonish shit for kids who cannot work with 32-scale.

I was looking into getting into Warhammer recently and I was a bit confused as to why everyone called the medieval one "Warhammer Fantasy" when it was called Age of Sigmar on the GW website. Now I think I get it.

Don't be a meme.

Then again with TW's success there's a slim chance you're being serious. Warhammer was discontinued and replaced with Age of Sigmar some time ago, not long before Total War: Warhammer and was first announced actually and Vermintide first came out. Very ironic.

I'm serious, tho I haven't played any of the vidya, it's just a coincidence that I got interested in it around now.

You made me a bit confused tho, I tough AoS was just some new edition or something for fantasy and that some people didn't liked it, but you made it sound like it's a completely new thing altogether, sort of like 40k was.

Fantasy was the setting you play in the vidya. It wasn't selling so great, so GW decided to kill it and replace it with a new setting that's kinda-sorta based on the old one but with a drastic shift in tone, and also with giant dudes in golden armour because lord knows we don't have enough of those yet.

you gave yourself away

As someone who really isn't into giant dudes with giant armor around them, I am sorry to hear that, but hey at least now I know what it is exactly that I am looking at when I go to the GW site.

My newfag shitposting is sincere.

Yeah, it was a controversial decision to say the least. Hell, shitloads of people (me included if I'm honest) are still pissed at GW about it. Loved that setting heart and soul, had about £2k worth of High Elves. I'd advise getting into the books; Gotrek and Felix is a good place to start. If you want a fantasy TTG, give Kings of War a shot, from what I hear it's pretty good.

>and I really mean community.
you sound like a WoW fan who found a private vanilla server where they can jerk gnomes off for the rest of their days

>For all you hear that TWW and Vermintide helped the hobby, it's not felt everywhere
that's cause those people aren't nostalgic for an old fantasy game they never played

>AoS vidya

What would that even be like? Some MobadotaCoD bullshit?

>salt
>vitriol
>angry old man who's mad that no one likes his version of toy soldiers

lmao you need some blood work done, take a break and watch your cholesterol

/thread

>lmao you need some blood work done
that's actually correct

>take a break and watch your cholesterol
nah, my cholestrol is fine, i largely keep a healthy diet

>implying kids have money to afford this
and before you go try and say >b-b-b-ut parents have money
you're kidding yourself if you think GW's demographic isn't men aged 25-50

holy fuck nice trips

Holy shit dude, you have more money on that stuff than I've probably made in my whole life

Since i'm already around here, I'll check out that book you mentioned. Got any good newbie friendly 40k fiction too?

Not that user, but Dan Abnett's Gaunt's Ghosts is my recommendation.

Don't worry underageb&, we all start somewhere, you'll make plenty of money in the future

Sure, there's a ton
Eisenhorn books
Last Chancers
Path Of The Eldar
Path Of The Dark Eldar
Horus Heresy series (has its ups and downs, but overall I like it.
Also this guy knows whats up, Gaunts Ghosts is excellent. What armies are you looking at, if any?

>playing 40k instead of just adopting the setting

You're doing it wrong

I'll check to see which one seems like the most interesting and I'll start from there.

>What armies are you looking at, if any?

I like the look of the adeptus mechanicus, but admittedly I know very little of them or any of the factions, and I don't even think I've seen them all, which is sort of why I was interested in reading some of the histories of the universe, per se.

Fantasy vidya often requires solid lore to get people invested, especially if it's going full RPG. AoS lore is repugnant to basically everyone, so using it for a videogame setting is pretty much a non-option. It's also the 'wrong' kind of setting if you want normie popularity these days - dark fantasy is currently a great deal more well-liked by the general public than whatever AoS is.

Coolio, I can give you a basic summary of the playable races
Marines: genetically enhanced medieval knights in space, courage and honour etc.
Chaos marines: As above, but they fell to the dark gods of the setting and are now their evil counterpart. Use daemons n shit. Oh yeah there's daemons too
Chaos daemons: born of the concentrated psychic reflections of every sapient being, they serve one of the 4 Chaos Gods, which are the "big evil" of the setting- Khorne, Nurgle, Slaanesh, Tzeentch. Hellbent on destroying all life except when they aren't.
Astra Militarum; Used to be called the Imperial Guard, these are just normal human men and women enlisted into fighting for humanity. Usually the underdogs, they win their wars through grit, determination, courage, and throwing bodies at the enemy until he can't move. Also fuckhuge tanks.
Mechanicus/Skitarii: beep boop robot dudes. They make all the crazy tech the Imperium has, jealously guard all their tech, willing to kill to discover new tech but also kill people who try to invent new tech. Probably makes more sense if you've replaced your brain with a toaster.
Sisters of Battle: Nuns with guns. Think space catholics, they're fanatically religious and burn everyone they think is a heretic. Also GW hates them, they've only had one and a half releases in 20 fucking years.
>Eldar: Elves in space. Used to rule the galaxy, but they murderfucked one of the aforementioned chaos gods, specifically Slaanesh, into existence, and in so doing killed 90% of their race outright and doomed the remaining 10% to have their souls eaten by Slaanesh when they die. Also arrogant as fuck, don't care about any other species.
>Dark Eldar: As above, but also fucked up BDSM torture fetishists. YMMV.
>Ynnari: Fuck off I'm not explaining this retarded shit, some cunt united all the Eldar or something.

>Tau: closest thing the setting has to "good guys". They'll generally try diplomacy rather than shooting first, but don't get on their bad side because they have high tech guns and giant robot battlesuits and also space communism.
Necron: Ancient race made a deal with some bloogy-woogiers from beyond the stars and got all their souls downloaded into beep boop Terminator bodies. Have hands-down the best tech out of all the factions. Got an ancient Egyptian thing going on. Uses spider-robots and giant green pyramids firing disintegration beams.
Tyranids: scary fuckass dinosaur-insects from another galaxy, they want to eat EVERYTHING (yes, especially that. That too. And that.) and that's pretty much all there is to them. Short and sweet.
>Orks: Fuck I love these guys. 8-foot-tall hulking green brutes whose entire lives revolve around giving out as much violence as possible, especially to each other. Have janky-ass tech, basically bits of scrap bolted together but it works because they believe it will. They get bigger and meaner the more stuff they kill (big warbosses are like 15 feet tall) and often replace limbs and body parts with stapled-on cybernetics. They also all have ridiculous cockney accents like Bert from Mary Poppins. These guys are the essence of 40k, for me.

I think that's most of them, hope this helps. I'm missing out on VAST quantities of details here, just a very rough outline.

That's very helpful, at least to start with. I think I like the space warrior nun things too.

Is it possible to like, combine different types of armies? I imagine you have to at least have people from the same side, but is there any rules against using different factions at once?

you can take detachments of allies. You can find most of the basic books to get an idea of rules on Warhammer 40k General

>I think I like the space warrior nun things too
I'm so sorry, user. I do too, but GW hates them. I'll drop a few bits of 40k art, get the general aesthetic across. First up, the lovely Sisters of Battle

This is one of the spaceships the Space Marines use, specifically a Battle Barge. Note the handy snowplough on the front, always handy for the pragmatic commander.

Space Marines of the Black Templars chapter. If you like the whole religious zealotry thing the Sisters have going on, these guys do it too whilst also having affordable and modern(ish) models!

These are the Orks. They just want to have fun and chop some 'eads off.

I like how they look in that picture, the armor doesn't look as ridiculously massive as I see in many other places.

Necron Lord. May or may not have a god stored in a pokeball on his hip.

Yeah, it varies wildly from artist to artist. Having said that, 40k is an inherently ridiculous setting, it's just very tongue-in-cheek about it. If something is so ridiculous you want to laugh at it, you were probably supposed to.
This is Nurgle, the Chaos God of decay, disease and despair. He does not wash under his arms.

This is Slaanesh, prince of pleasure and excess. The one the Eldar murderfucked into existence. Is it male or female? YES.

Priest of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Last seen on Robot Wars.

The green chap is an Eldar. Not exactly your average one, but I couldn't find a pic of that.

Imperial Guardsman. He doesn't need power armour or genetic enhancements, he's just a badass with grapefruit-sized balls.

That's ok, it's just a personal pet-peeve, I don't find massive bodies with small heads to be particularly aesthetically pleasing.

I take it these are all characters from novels, right?

This is Sanguinius, one of the God-Emperors chosen sons, who died trying to save his father from his traitorous other son.

OH SHIT MIS-CLICKED WRONG PIC HERE'S THE RIGHT ONE
Ahem. Sorry about that. The first two aren't specific characters, they're just generic characters of their type. The Green Eldar guy is Karandras, he's been featured in the Path of The Eldar series I mentioned, but he's not the protagonist. The last guy is actually from a fan fiction, but a very well written one that I can recommend: theallguardsmenparty.com/. It's a silly comedic one, but it stays pretty true to the actual lore (more so than some of the official stuff).

Man, new GW art sure suck. Is this AoS?

>two breasts

These are Tyranids, scary ass bugs ripped directly from the Alien franchise.

Audibly kek'd. Nope, it's something far, far better
You can pretend it has a dick under the loincloth if you want. It probably does.

Not like it'd be surprising anymore.

ITT: autists