/ysg/ - Yog-Sothothery General

Happy Birthday edition

This thread is meant to inspire Lovecraftian Veeky Forums (like Delta Green and CoC) and discuss Lovecraft's works for inspiration along with anything else that fits into this genre or takes place in the Yog-Sothothery.
>Previous Thread:
????

>The Texts of Lore that Men were not meant to know:
eldritchdark.com
hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/

>PDF Archive:

>Call of Cthulhu
mediafire.com/folder/h9qjka0i4e75t/Call_Of_Cthulhu

>Atchung! Cthulhu
mega.nz/#F!ywcHkIAA!ycphEhCOkbnjOvAQ4t7TBg

>Pulp Cthulhu
mega.nz/#!L9EFWSIT!o6clZxfdrVSOLkmcQz3wQ2Af9-hKsUxKc7214VynuY4

>AM1200
vimeo.com/102372269

>Recommend things to put in the next OP
>Please create a new thread when the Bump Limit has been reached and we are in the Lower Pages or if the old thread dies.
>If you don't, Nyarlathotep will shitpost in other threads

Other urls found in this thread:

delta-green.com/2016/02/download-delta-green-need-to-know/
fairfieldproject.wikidot.com
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Parsons_(rocket_engineer)
mediafire.com/?njg3a0ne7v130
dropbox.com/s/6vc7fuxg5n5jyfd/Delta Green Need to Know.pdf?dl=1
uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1461968691
mega.nz/#!8c5kFbJL!bAYHcyWX_RUbvoAMWI63E7XLUdfU19APQnWIv5tzamk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

interesting general
how do you portray cultist in an interesting manner?

Totally new to CoC in an TTRPG sense and wanting to try getting into Delta Green. What edition do I start with, or does Atchung! Cthulhu / Cthulhu Wars capture the "Military guys fighting the mythos but probably dying horribly in the process" feeling better.

To put things in perspective I'm an SCP / WoDfag and looking for something to capture that GOC / Hunter: the Vigil feel because neither of those settings are cutting it anymore.

A lot of the time, cultists seem generic because the lot of them wear robes and chant and act predictably weird. Why not just, like, have a normal-looking guy with a brutal-looking altar stashed away in the attic who offers entrails of all the dead cats in the neighborhood to the resident flesh dimension ghoul?

Last time I had robed cultists in my game, the crew seemed to fall under a curse, a wasting sickness, hair and teeth falling out, etc.

Anyhow, they found a secret lodge at the local college, but their glowing green orb turned out to be a simple lamp, and the theatrics were not spells.

Unperturbed, the crew kept looking for the cult, until I announced at the end of the last session they had failed after everyone failed con checks.

When asked, I inquired as to why no one pressed the neighbor, the granny next door, about her get-well-soon baskets filled with delicious (uranium-laced) oatmeal raisin cookies.

>delta-green.com/2016/02/download-delta-green-need-to-know/
We really gotta start putting links to the quickstart downloads in the OP.

DG has its own rules now that are very good and based on CoC 6e. The setting book isn't out yet but Kickstarter backers have gotten copies of the manuscript and it's shaping up nicely. Estimated release date is October I think. PDF downloads of the original 90s DG books are pretty easy to find and hard copies are still available to buy if you're into that.

>fairfieldproject.wikidot.com
This is the DG wiki, it's full of summarized versions of the "canon" from the books, as well as loads of player made scenarios.

I was thinking of doing...basically L. Ron Hubbard and Scientology. I think it'd be interesting to fuse their bullshit with Lovecraft Lore.

Or maybe something based on this guy en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Parsons_(rocket_engineer) How can you resist a rocket scientist who believed in Aleister Crowley's teachings? Plus Hellboy set a precedent for sending people into space to call down abominations.

With the links from the last thread, it looks like I'm finally roping some friends into playing CoC.
One is willing and we made his character today, the rest I've made characters for to save time and introduce them to roleplaying.
Looking forward to this, my first dice arrive tomorrow too.

Hi!
New keeper here and I have a player that always wants to do Heroin and Cocaine in-character.
While I have no problems with substance abuse I have no real idea how to penalize/reward him for the habits.

Does anyone here have any good ideas for simulating mounting addiction, increase in drug requirements and most importantly; overdosing?

I think something along a simple CON test the first time you double the dose. (double CON)
Normal CON test when they inevitably triple their dose.
Hard CON test when they go over.
>The consequence of failure being overdosing with a real chance of dying unless attended to by others.

Has anyone ever tried to set a campaign in the Dreamlands?

I suggest keep it simple with stat debuffs and eventual health loss during withdrawal and buffs while he's hopped up on whatever it is.

For Crack Cocaine I was thinking Increased Dex and speed for stats and Spot hidden, fast talk (ha) and Intimidate.

For Heroin I was thinking ignoring the effects of damage and unconsciousness.

Makes sense

Friend just picked up a collection of the Achtung! Cthulhu books because our FLGS had them on sale for Lovecraft's birthday. Has anyone else played the system and what were your thoughts on it?

In both cases I'd probably make it mitigate some SAN loss while high as he'd probably be able to compartmentalize whatever freaky shit he saw as a side effect of the drug use.

Use them sparingly. HPL almost doesn't use cultists.

And when he does (Innsmouth) we don't really see them, and you know what?

They seem pretty rational guys. Maybe not exactly ethical, but still, I mean, they're THEIR kids.

How many of you guys actually run games set in the 1920s? I love that shit but I rarely hear anyone else talking about their 1920s games.

What are some of the recommended CoC scenarios? Only have a few Delta Green ones.

I run almost exclusivly in the 1925 era.
1930 for depression-quest or the 1940s for pre/post war fun or some Achtung! shenanigans.

What era does people usually do? Modern?

This general has a pretty big Delta Green boner as of late.

You know, I never understood exactly the point in doing this. I mean, the 20s are kinda original I guess, but I don't really see the connection with HPL's stories, they might be readily be in another period. At least after the 1700s and (relatively) scientifical thinking.

>one could argue for before the 60s because of muh puritan values

1920s is the "standard" setting because that's when HPL was doing his writing and is presumably the time period where most of his stories take place.

I have a copy of CoC 5.5 and I want to run a game of it later this year. What should I do with the game to make a real, positive impact on my players? What makes for a good CoC game as opposed to a good D&D game?

It's a little disrespectful to celebrate Lovecraft's birthday with a Veeky Forums general.

Motherfucker was joyless and hated games.

He'd probably despise what his legacy became.

CoC/DG games are all about finding the clues and the slow build up of dread and despair before some kind of climactic encounter. Combat is generally in the favor of the monster and your players should be going "oh fuck oh fuck" as things spiral out of control whether this is in combat or not. Victory should come by the skin of the teeth, usually with some kind of cost.

Gee user, would've guessed.

I know this: I'm asking why so many people think it's particulary important. He's no Dickens about the industrial revolution in London, to me his tales are timeless in this sense, I can readily imagine a Hadrian time equivalent of Horror at Red's Hook or a chinese low-level official having to go innamountains and getting the equivalent of The Colour's story told him by an heremit.

>Lovecraft

>not being a goofball and basically being a bro about people building shit on his ideas

Read the letter he wrote about the statuette a fan bought him. Dude was basically doing RP before it was a word.

Tough I guess he wouldn't like Nyaruko-san that much (neither did I and I do enjoy haremshit, series was generic and didn't really make much fun of the Mythos, truly a lost opportunity)

Usually it's some kind of 'environmental' type victory too, you win because your ocean liner sank to the bottom of the sea and now you're adrift and alone. You win because the hell portal helped collapse the giant cave under the town blocking your own escape. You win because you burned the building down around the cult trapping half your guys inside.

Read Stealing Cthulhu.

>I'm asking why so many people think it's particulary important
I don't think it is as evidenced by Cthulhu Modern, Dark Ages, Invictus, DG, and all the other books made for playing outside the 20s. If anything it's the era that gets the least attention by most Mythos games outside the core rulebook.

Oh, I don't think it's particularly important. That's why I'm asking if many others play in the 20s. I just usually run games in the 20s because I like the period. One of the reasons Lovecraft holds up well is because it can be applicable today.

1920s is perfect because you can go back to the 1600s/1700s era as just barely pre-history. Alchemy and the pre-sciences were big and witches were burned and shit. Just enough of the superstitions can be both common knowledge and handwaved. Things that slipped through the cracks would be fertile for a resurgence or rediscovery and THAT would feel even more alien amidst the rapid turn of the century modernization.

>>Recommend things to put in the next OP
How about the fucking Delta Green pdfs, which have been present in the last couple of /ysg/ OPs after being constantly requested, and which you specifically mention in the OP but fail to link?

>Old DG
mediafire.com/?njg3a0ne7v130

>New DG
>Need to Know
dropbox.com/s/6vc7fuxg5n5jyfd/Delta Green Need to Know.pdf?dl=1
>Agent's Handbook
uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1461968691
mega.nz/#!8c5kFbJL!bAYHcyWX_RUbvoAMWI63E7XLUdfU19APQnWIv5tzamk

I have never DM'ed this or played, but am now in a position where I will be DMing this game, planning to write my own module for it, which I am in the process of creating. I've read alot of HP lovecraft so I am exited for this, just dont really know what to expect.

My world building is pretty good, but my mystery building not so much, any advice there would be appreciated, like how many NPC's should be at work and the types of goals and things that I should put for the players.

I'm working on a scenario and I need some ideas for horrible things a group of French Resistance fighter PCs could run into when they enact a plan to liberate a town and discover the entire Nazi garrison has been butchered and/or gone insane by the time they arrive.

maybe some of the townspeople were cultist types and summoned something to do this to the nazis, maybe they weren't cultists but when the nazis came they figured they had no other choice and took the advice of a madman to do some sacrifice and this was the outcome, now there is a creature around that killed them all

could do a few nazi zombies when they arrive for combat purposes, or a crazy guy talking to his dead friends, only to have them rise up and eat him

could have the birds that eat the dead bodies go crazy and attack people, making being outside dangerous, could also make it so all the townspeople who were supposed to be there were gone and only nazis are dead and they track them down to a big barn where they are worshipping the creature that killed the nazis

That's pretty good. Maybe some kind of old timey Celtic interpretation of Shub-Niggurath that only the oldest people in the town still knew about.

I'm kind of burned out on the whole "Nazi zombie" thing, but maybe the remaining townsfolk could have scavenged the Nazi's gear to defend themselves against whatever monster(s) are in the town now. Could lead to some good moments of confusion for the PCs when they figure out they've been in a firefight with the people they came to the town to save.

What were the clues that should have pointed your players to the granny? Why should they have suspected her?

If nothing pointed to her, you've basically falling rocked your players, and are more of a faggot than OP.

Look at real life cult activity. Some of it is even more terrifying and warped than robed dudes shouting alien languages into bonfires.

Human beings are some fucked up creatures. Some of the stuff people have done to one another is chilling.

>The Corn is were we keep the children
>See to it that they are fed.
I've seen that pic like 20 times and I've never realized that actually said something. Cool.