Starfinder General /sfg/

Starfinder General /sfg/

Why isn't your android mechanic putting an artificial personality in her brain-mounted custom rig for social skills?

Pastebin (Includes CRB) - pastebin.com/6HjrnNZG
Cheatsheet - paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lk2n?Starfinder-Cheat-Sheet
FAQ - paizo.com/starfinder/faq

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

myth-weavers.com/game.php?g=29551
youtube.com/watch?v=YGV6bCTMM5w
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/86665/starfinder-the-silent-war
youtube.com/watch?v=1aXrLt9a6eE
youtube.com/watch?v=fLelk26BlEM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because it's too busy being the snarky inner monologue helping him to uncover various clues and what not and causing him to talk aloud so people look at him strangly

So it has a tier equal to half your level, but gets bonuses equal to twice its tier right? So the bonus will always be equal to your level, or one less than?

Is there any way to improve this? Seems like it'd be pretty shit for social skills before even considering any roleplay obstacles it'd run into.

GM screen?

It's not great compared to someone actually putting in an investment, but if nothing else it can take over for you when absolutely necessary if you're a low CHA degenerate who can't into people at all. Or just give you +2 through Aid Another. Don't even need it up to tier for that one.

There isn't any way to improve it yet but it basically adds 4 Skill points per level, though only to Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, and Sense Motive and treats them as non-class skills with no ability modifier. On the up side it costs practically nothing, as hardened would be redundant since if you has it implanted it can't be damaged and if you are concerned about it getting hacked you are going to buy a better security upgrade than the free one you could potentially get in place of the AP/VI.

asking for an online character sheet again

Mind you, with the skill scaling in this game the chance of actually passing something on-level is basically nill. Starfinder's skill scaling is nonsense.

Do we have a guide of all the changes from Pathfinder to Starfinder mechanics wise?

Also, what is a FUSION SEAL and what is just a FUSION?

Check the cheat sheet in the OP.

Yes but what about Fusions vs Fusion Seals

did no one buy this book cause this general is dead
meanwhile pathfinder is gettin jacked off
and it's a dead system that needs to be replaced by starfinders

A fusion is a weapon quality, but they exist as discrete items. They can be applied to and removed from weapons with a bit of work.

Fusion SEALS are the same, but cost 10% more. In exchange they can be swapped around with I think no work at all

That's a totally fucking confusing, arbitrary, and pointless distinction.

>arbitrary
We're talking about magical weapon augments that would be implausible even if they weren't fictional. Arbitrary is to be expected.

Probably once we get a few game sessions going we'll get more popular. That said, while I don't like the overly autistic super analysis of 2hou I would like to see some general fixes until some kind of errata drops, I'd be willing to compile them if people are willing to recall them.

Mine is in application phase now. Very little activity so far.

myth-weavers.com/game.php?g=29551

Fuck off with that shit. PbP is worse cancer than /pfg/'s celebshit

What reasons are there to make an Exocortex Mechanic instead of a Drone Mechanic?

As far as I can tell, all you can use it for is to:
>Make yourself a worse Soldier against a limited number of targets.
>Reroll a knowledge check once per day and get the Skill Focus feat.
>Use the Computers skill faster than you normally can or without spending any actions on it.
>Give yourself a limited number of drone modifications.

What's a good, more established system to steal art from for upcoming Starfinder shenanigans?

Is that a modern Kali?

No, it's a futuristic Kali.

She exists in all ages in a form appropriate for the time

Depends on what kind of feel you're going for

It's a fucking Metal Gear Solid boss is what it is.

Degenesis, Eclipse Phase, Dark Heresy and other 40KRPGs.

I need pictures.

Pictures of Space Elves!

Do undead space elves count?

Please don't bully my Shirren mechanic!

Yes, yes they do!

THEN STOP LAYING YOUR FUCKING EGGS ON THE DRIVE CORE!!!

Your reminder that if your Starfinder game doesn't look like this, you're doing it wrong:

youtube.com/watch?v=YGV6bCTMM5w

Man, I loved the aesthetic of Wildstar, and the writing. Shame it was wasted on a MMORPG in the WoW goldrush.

Is the first /sfg/ Starfinder campaign going to be a Bamboozle?

Should soldiers max out perception? it lets you act in surprise rounds, and literally anyone else can be the skill monkey.

Cyber animal companions when?

Your Droid can be built to look like an animal.

If you're talking about an actual meaty animal companion chromed out? You can already domesticate animals with the Survival skill, however animals commonly domesticated are not listed.

I don't think there's anything RAW or RAI that'd stop you from running your combat drone as a quadruped mech-beast is there? I don't think extra legs protect you against trip, and I don't think drone weapon mounts require arms.

I think in my mind I'm thinking of something more than just the Mechanic's Drone. Then again I don't know what you could do to make a cyber'd animal any more different or relevant than saying a drone just looks like an animal for sake of apperance. I was thinking it would be the basis for an Archetype but it's a pretty shallow idea when you think on it and is probably best left as feat or something.

just fluff the drone and say you cyborged an animal into it

I pretty much said that. After thinking about it there really isn't a way to make it any different from a drone that is made to look that way as it wouldn't matter mechanically.

I would guess having a meat brain instead of a cyber brain would make it so it could use morale bonuses but I think there is an Envoy ability that allows them to give morale bonusses to things that wouldn't normally be able to receive them.

Bestiary pdf when?

at least october

Months away

>Bestiary at the end of October
>Next release isn't until March afterwards
They weren't kidding about this schedule.

So I guess in the meantime we have to bullshit some monsters and encounters out of First Contact and whatever adventure splats are up?

>They weren't kidding about this schedule.
Yeah, it's rather thin, not counting Society/Organized Play offerings.

August - Core book, AP 1, basic terrain & space mats, gm screen, character sheet folio, combat/initiative pad, crb pawns
September - Condition Cards
October - Bestiary, AP 2, Cantina map
November - Bestiary pawns
December - AP 3, Starship map
January - [nothing]
February - AP 4
March - Setting

Pathfinder conversion rules are super simple and actually play fine.

Pretty much. Still, the Alien Archive should prove useful.

Shadowrun, as well, if you're going for that kind of flavor.

is cleave recommended for melee characters? not sure just what to grab at level 1 for a melee blitz soldier

Low-level feats (i.e. feats apart from the likes of Enhanced Resistance) for soldiers are so weak in Starfinder that Weapon Focus, of all feats, is actually a good purchase.

One of the main weaknesses of soldiers is that they have an abundance of feats, but so few are the feats that are actually worth taking.

SKILL FOCUS. EVERY ODD LEVEL.

How extensive is the beastiary in the Dead Suns adventure path? Or, at the very least, what are the important bits of lore for Abasalom Station do we need to homebrew our own shit.

Why is Jetstream Sam holding a potion?

He cut himself so he can feel what it was like to get the healing affect because the mooks were too weak to hurt him.

Why is the crb hosted on some garbage shit service and not on something that works?

Dead Suns Over Paradise?

>mfw the opening scene of Dead Suns

Is that what it's called?

Haven't read it yet-how's it go?

You get caught in the middle of a gang war followed swiftly by an ambush at a crowded club.

There are seven creatures in the book's alien archive, so not very extensive.

I want a chaotic evil vesk soldier

What's stopping you from doing it champ?

Is this a good Roll20 to play?

app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/86665/starfinder-the-silent-war

Don't have the rulebook

Yeah, we HAD a link in the pastebin, but I think the upload died.

so, weapon focus in melee and skill focus on something i'll use a lot for my bonus feat?

I see you have exquisite taste in music, my good sir.

If you are a Blitz soldier, I would advise Weapon Focus and either Cleave or Improved Initiative. Presumably, you will be paying credits for a tactical pike, since a 1st-level character can purchase 2nd-level items without issue. Cleave, therefore, might see some use.

Improved Initiative is not as valuable in Starfinder due to the somewhat padded-sumo-like combat (yes, even at 1st level) and the lack of flat-footed-ness for having yet to act. Still, it is a solid feat.

So what you're saying is, these two themes are relevant for the book?

youtube.com/watch?v=1aXrLt9a6eE
youtube.com/watch?v=fLelk26BlEM

So reading through the crb, one it's a shame the augmentations are so limited, and two even wit the inclusion of Hybrid items there's no hybrid augmentations.

I'm thinking of picking though old 3.5 books for ideas for magitek augmentations.

Last week I made a post asking for a couple of people to complete my group, and I promised I'd share the party composition here when it was done. Well, we had our first game today and I'm going to keep my word. No storytime yet, since there's not much to say storywise so far. Also, writing this from memory so expect some errors.

First we have Vicks, human ace pilot envoy, an ex-military turned pilot for hire, with a happy-go-lucky attitude and a carefree outluck on life.

Then we have Rozog, the vrsk mercenary soldier, who until recently worked as private security for the spaceship the party met at. His goals in life are to grow huge and use heavy weaponry. So far he's accomplishing both.

PNK-1K is next, an AI that overtook an old robot and grew sentient (android technically). She's the party's soldier sharpshooter. After her originally crew went missing, she took to streaming her work on space twitch along with the next party member.

Ash, human operative outlaw, she was a security officer of the ISP (in setting human goverment) until her habit of livestreaming her combat missions got her fired. Now she enjoys travelling with PNK trying to become e-celebs while hoping to get a side project smuggling guns and tech to underdeveloped planets.

Last is Seth, human technomancer and a career military man, he's on a mission to explore the ISP controlled space and study their customs for his Empire. What the Empire hopes to gain from said intelligence remains to be seen.

That's it for now. Might share how their adventure begins next week or the one after that depending on how much progress they make next session.

>Presumably, you will be paying credits for a tactical pike, since a 1st-level character can purchase 2nd-level items without issue. Cleave, therefore, might see some use.
tactical pike seems to just be the go-to for "level 1 character melee weapon", is there any reason to get anything else that isn't roleplay or saving credits?
also, if i don't plan on using reach weapons past that, should i grab improved initiative instead?

Need more crazy shit like this
>Bio-mechanical armor and bio-mechanical augmentations.

Does Starfinder have Power Attack? Do you still get a 1.5x STR damage when two-handing a weapon?

Frankly, I need to know everything there is to know about melee combat in Starfinder, because I'm interested in trying it out yet I don't know just how much is different from Pathfinder melee combat.

Power attack was rolled into deadly aim and significantly nerfed. 1.5x is a feature rather than baseline, but you get more damage out of features more and the damage from strength is far less important.

So, the pain of using a one-handed sword is much less than in Pathfinder? I like it!

What's the point a mechanic NOT having their custom rig as a cybernetic augmentation? I don't see why you would want to take up an armor add-on slot thing and I definitely don't see why you would want to make it a handheld computer you can easily lose.

After you get an AI you can give it instructions and let it read back to others on your instruction. More secure than passing a note.

According to the cybernetics section, you can only have one thing in each slot. So if you put it in your arm, you can't put anything else there.

There's no downside to putting it in your head right now, since datajacks are the only brain slot thing right now, but that might change in the future.

I think datajacks can be combined with rigs as an exception too can't they?

That's why I said 'no downside' bud.

is max perception required on combat munchkins, or what else should a soldier invest in, that does more in combat?

You should never not put max ranks into perception.
Athletics, Acrobatics, Bluff, and Perception are the "might roll it in combat" skills.
Possibly add Medicine to the list if you don't have a Mystic on the team to cast Stabilize for you.

I can't figure out how this works flavor-wise. Custom rigs count as pretty much every kind of tool. If I need a screwdriver, how does an implant in my brain help me?

If I had to explain it, I'd say that the tools still sprout from like your wrist or whatever.

But because the bulk of it, the actual computer bit, is inside your head, there's enough space for another thing in that arm.

So I just picked this book up.

I want to make one of the four arms and an outlaw

Is there a designed "that guy" character archetype yet

>Is there a designed "that guy" character archetype yet

What do you mean? Kasatha Operative (Outlaw) seems like what you want here.

So the discussion about how much a Ysoki can carry in their cheek pouches from the last thread go me curious (and also because I'm an autist who can't visualize what 1 cubic foot looks like), but this confirms that either the Ysoki can easily carry 10 pistols and/or grenades in their cheeks.

Something tells me Paizo didn't think too hard about this one

... So.

What you're saying is that the art actually depicts their heads as TOO SMALL.

Not 10. 19 pistols or grenades. L is 1/10 bulk, but it doesn't count until it's a full set of 10. Unless that's been specifically changed, you can almost but not quite double the fun through the power of rounding.

You're underestimating cheek pouches.

Of course they considered it, user. Due to living in magically unstable areas of the Darklands for generations, ratfolk now have miniature pocket dimensions in their mouths.

Now I'm trying to decide on what the cutoff point is before the fact that they've got a worryingly large amount of unidentified items becomes blatantly obvious.

What if they actually had pocket dimensions inside their mouths, though? The bag of holding - I mean null-space chamber, that's bulk L too, so you can put 19 of those in your mouth. And at the maximum level, that's 200 bulk each, or 2009 grenades.

It would cost just under 5,000,000 just for storage, but a Ysoki could have 38,171 grenades in their mouth.

If I had to ballpark something, I'd say half-full just to be lazy. Adjust up or down to taste - maybe 1/3 or 2/3 full, as you like.

there's literally no reason to use a one-handed sword besides fluff and saving credits. the only shield is a high level armor augment, so your 'off-hand' might as well be jacking you off, it has nothing else to do.

Fluff, saving credits, and remembering the setting has laser pistols.

>so your 'off-hand' might as well be jacking you off
Put a fucking gun in it