Tfw a weaboo fantasy book is better than most modern western fantasy books

>tfw a weaboo fantasy book is better than most modern western fantasy books
wew

Is the book that good? The anime was just fun, the setting's pretty generic though.

its pretty amazing
i find it hard to believe a jap made this

>LNs are now weeb
>japanese people cant write good books
anime haters need to stop

>a weaboo fantasy book
You enjoyed a book by a Japanese author, I take it? And now you're spurging out on Veeky Forums about it?

i an a animefag
but even i find hard to see anithing other than cute girls in japanese industry

you are just plain wrong. try actually watching some good shows sometime.

Japanese people produce more than just anime you faggot. Pry yourself from your own smelly, crusty rabbit hole and you'll find some good media out there.

You haven't read a lot of Western fiction I take it?

You posted the wrong picture, user.

you mean their movies?
well...
the fantasy ones are horrible
and the action ones are edgy but i liek them

name one modern book of fantasy better than overlord

So I just watched this thing called "American shows" House of Cards and is pretty good, I thought all "American shows" we're the big bang theory, well, I guess you can have 1 good "American show" out of 1 billion the big bang theory

Not news, but they made these books based in some movies back in the 2000s, Lord of the Rings I think is the name.

>japan doesnt write books
>or plays
>or make tv shows
>japan doesnt do any of these things
fuck off.

>LoTR

Don't get me wrong I am the biggest LoTR fan in the world but I would hardly call it modern.

I mean the author based frodo on soldiers in WW1

>modern
>LOTR
srsly user

Anything by Tamora Pierce, most material by Brandon Sanderson. Neil Gaiman is an absolutely enthralling writer. I'd honestly believe Stephen King is great, begrudgingly.

LoTR is actually real history

>LotR isn't modern
12 more days till the end of summer.

dunno about the other writers but stephen is not fantasy
it's horror.

>1937
>Modern

It's comfy and cute and funny but definitely not especially high. quality. For instance, I don't like what Elminster eventually became after a decade or two but the first book about him is excellent, much better than Overlord. Then there's stuff like Harry Potter, Thomas Covenant, Ravenloft, Lord of the Rings, Conan, etc.

What is the Dark Tower, Alex?

He may not write much, but Mr. King writes fantasy.

1937 is a part of the Modern Period, yes.

Do they not teach you this in English class anymore?

Except it's not better.
It's just different. You usually don't have such blatant power fantasy in generic fantasy settings.
Usually it's just a mary sue with plot armor.
That's probably why you think it's "good"
You'll grow to hate overpowred powertripping main characters too if it ever gets more popular.

what i like is the plans
he's overpowered and is going to dominate the world
for this he manipulates everyone
this is amazing is it not?

>trapped in a videogame

I was interested before I discovered this is the plot.

See, this is not a good series. The only thing good about this is the amazing art, which looks like something from Dark Souls or Berserk. The story itself centers around an overpowered Lich, who is in fact some nerd now stuck in the body of his insanely high-level character.

He basically steamrolls every challenge in front of him. This isn't fun or compelling: More, he has equally powerful minions, most of whom are incredibly loyal to him. (The vampire's the odd one out, but there you go.)

It really isn't that good. It's certainly not up to the standards of The First Law trilogy.

>Isekai

No it's not amazing.
It's the equivalent of beating a 10 year old in chess. Except even worse because a 10 year old at least has a chance of being a prodigy.
You can't overcome literal role playing game levels that say "you literally cannot win because you do no damage".
It's boring.
Most of the "conflict" is AOG being afraid that there is secretly level 100 people lurking around in a world where the highest echelons of society are around level 30. I think the biggest "surprise" was a relatively high level dragon dicking around somewhere( relative to the world, still nothing to nazarick ). I think it was about level 50? 70? Either way it wasn't a true threat so it was a shitty surprise.

This. 90% of the plot of Overlord is 'Overpowered MC and his cronies show they're OP, other people who thought they were strong get crushed'.

What's the challenge? What is he doing that's actually interesting besides steamrolling everything? It's fun once or twice but that's all it is. It's just him going ''na na na boo boo i'm stronger than you.'

it's the only downside of the LN, i agree with you.

but i like the part of the weak being crushed because in normal LN they would summon power of friendship and kill the lich.

Ok, that's cool. It doesn't make it good or interesting to read about but that's cool for you I guess.

>Overlord
>better than anything.
Everyone! Come laugh at this man.

Better that most Isekai, but that really isn't hard to achieve. I really like how a good portion of the story is written from the perspective of characters outside of AOG.

>but i like the part of the weak being crushed
I honestly hope I never meet you.

A weeaboo fantasy steeped in the mechanics of D&D at that

>The First Law trilogy
But it's shit

>Romans 15:1

>the amazing art, which looks like something from Dark Souls
okay
>or Berserk.
stop trying to judge art when you're blind

>hating on Berserk
easy on the eggnog nigger.

>Is the book that good? The anime was just fun...
I really enjoy the series. I started with the anime, though it was neat and fun enough, picked up the LN to see what happened next, and then marathoned the whole of it in about two weeks (while recovering from eye surgery no less).
>the setting's pretty generic though.
The books are much slower paced than the anime and take a lot more time building up character motivations as well as building up the world.
There's a LOT of inner monologue that was cut out for the anime and a lot of shit about the world that was left out (either to save time or to save money). A lot of things make a lot more sense in the light novel since they actually go about explaining why they did what they did. The author himself states that he hates stories where the "smart" characters just do something stupid for no reason since it takes the reader out of the story. In Overlord, the smart characters generally fuck up and do something stupid either because they misunderstand an order (or purposely twist the order's wording to suit their own alignment and interests) or because they overthought or miscalculated a situation (or the people/organizations (possibly) involved). There's very little done without reason in the story and I really like that. It creates a more immersive story with more believable characters.

Plus, there's actually a fairly fascinating world in the LN. It's mainly constant little things (like how medical surgery are viewed as barbaric since they have healing magic that pretty much obsoletes it or how adventures are not allowed to heal injured people for free since that's the job of the temples and their healing priests (who need the money they charge for their healing services to keep themselves independent from the government)) that add a whole lot too world building. You can tell the author planned out a world first, then put characters in it second. It feels believable.

apparently you have no reading comprehension on top of being blind

>starts chugging instead of being reasonable.

>Harry Potter, Thomas Covenant, Ravenloft, Lord of the Rings, Conan, etc.

>bunko/video multimedia project for chuunis
>good concepts but the "clench" game is our fathers' equivalent of the time-to-barrel FPS review metric
>merchandising spinoff of game
>thinly-disguised right-wing propaganda that hippies somehow latched onto because lol farmers smoking "pipeweed", where even the author freely admitted that the writing was mediocre and secondary to his quest to unify all his interesting wikipedia bookmarks
>light novel for 1930s chuunis

i'm not saying that most japanese media isn't garbage, but goddamn are we blind to our own turds

>on noes, i got btfo! quick, to the anime reaction image folder!

is this from this cute crossdresser love manga?

>Most of the "conflict" is AOG being afraid that there is secretly level 100 people lurking around in a world where the highest echelons of society are around level 30.
That's pretty much the point. AOG isn't sure if there is any one (group) stronger than them in the world, so they have to take baby steps and act in the shadows in order to avoid being fingered and destroyed in return by the people stronger than them they can't tell exist or not. They're playing it safe.
Jumping into an unknown world and immediately blowing most of your mana on flashy explosions trying to conquer it is a great way to 1, signal your location and fighting potential to literally everyone, and 2, diminish your fighting potential in such a way as to make you pretty much unable to defend yourself if people on your level ambush you in the act.

>What's the challenge? What is he doing that's actually interesting besides steamrolling everything? It's fun once or twice but that's all it is. It's just him going ''na na na boo boo i'm stronger than you.'
That's not what the story's about. It's about a relatively normal guy given way more power than he ever should have and seeing how it is steadily erods his humanity and destroys him. At first he's reluctant to do anything but eventually he settles into the role and begins to act like the omniscient leader all his subordinates think he is. While everything is an act at first, the role becomes reality soon enough. You can easily see how he becomes less and less of "a normal guy trapped in another world who has to simply survive" and more and more of the lawful evil scheming skeleton God-king that he's seen as.

You should go into Overlord expecting this fall from grace, not a fair fight against enemies equal to you. You don't read The Count ot Monte Cristo to see him fight an anime powerbattle with the people who fucked him over, you read it to see how a thirst for vengeance corrupts the heart of a good-natured man.

Cool, could they make the fall from grace part interesting? That'd be fucking awesome

>this isn't interesting to me
>that means NO ONE can like it because MY opinions are actually facts!
Whoa, since when did Veeky Forums become /v/?

We've always had better taste than /v/, what did you expect?

This. Getting very tired of what could be interesting fantasy settings always having some kid from 21st century Japan showing up there as the main character. It's stale, annoying, and do they really hate their liveable so much that they need SO MANY escapist fantasies?

Yes, we really do. Japan is a godawful shithole. I'm just glad I got out.
t Jap.

nice false flag right there faggot

>one book is better than most books

But user, that's literally how something being awesome works.

Fuck even during the Italian Renaissance not everyone was Da Vinci.

Ask literally any Jap in your country.

>I'm a faggot and I false flag

Most Japanese people (using the term Jap only makes you sound like more of a retard fyi) like their country

>I'm going to double down on my false flagging, that'll get them!

Extra points for:

>Ha! I'll get them to ask the people who left the country! People who leave countries they think are shit!

Curious, are you two the same person? I only say this because the response is so complete shit I can't help but feel that there is one troll smack talking himself to try and say something so inflammatory that other people will join in.

>(using the term Jap only makes you sound like more of a retard fyi)
Kill yourself faggot.

No, there's just more than one troll here.
That's the leading cause of board quality decline, you know. One guy drops bait, another tries to bait the baited hook, and they just start slinging shit left and right.

Nah, you can ignore trolls.

Based on your quick response, I can't help but think that you are one of those trolls I should ignore.

>Based on your quick response, I can't help but think that you are one of those trolls I should ignore.
I'll have to remember that one, that's damn good bait.
Thanks.

>chuunis
You are not remotely close to using the term "chuuni" correctly. It's many distant horizons away from you. To find it you would have to mount a an expedition, gather a team of stout hearted explorers to aid you, hire some Sherpas as guides... It would be an entire colossal undertaking for you to reach the fabled land where you're using the term "chuuni" correctly, the adventure of a lifetime.

I think you've learned a few tricks from me in the past.

No.

he's not trapped in a videogame though, he got isekai'd
and its a little different in this case considering he was a 30 something salaryman from a dystopian future where the air is so bad you have to wear a gasmask to go outside

>find source
>edit source
>???
>profit

I thought he was Japanese, not Chinese?

>user has proof he's not samefagging
>i'll just say he edited his picture! that'll show him
oh fuck off

eh, "jap" is a 50/50 between super flyover and actual Japanese too sheltered to realize there can be ethnic slurs against what they've always seen as the natural master race

that said, asking people who gtfo of any country and stayed go is a biased sample of people who hated it there and found enough success somewhere else to get a visa. i like it better here than the us, but i'm fully aware that it's because in the us i'd be managing shifts at some flyover fuckhole shoe store rather than a knowledge worker with a world city as my stomping grounds.

そーなのかー
じゃ、名無しさんから、「中二」って言葉の正しい使い方をもらいましょうか。

>t. college student who just finished japanese 101

>editing the source is editing the picture
Okay, since you're ignorant of what I was implying, I believe you.

Read up on Russian isekai. There's an absolute fuckload of it and a large part is hilariously bad.

Sounds like most things Russian.

>If we shit enough, eventually we'll shit a diamond.

Then why don't you stand up here in front of the blackboard and tell us what year was the beginning of the 'modern period?'

The answer will vary by up to a few centuries depending on which institution you ask. I don't have a Doctorates in the subject, so I'll leave it to the people who actually have a right to define to bicker about when it should begin.

What you should be using when you say "Modern Fiction" or "Modern Fantasy" is "Fiction/Fantasy Written in the Contemporary Period"

Just don't use the term "Contemporary Fantasy" as that refers to a specific sub-genre of fantasy.

Now stop being an insufferable cunt Timmy.

it's a little difficult find a good one, thankfully I found a few that's palatable
>Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka (So I'm a spider what about it?)
[amnesia, survival, cute spider, game]
>Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari (The Rising of the Shield Hero)
[game, fantasy, kindof edgy MC, life is shit, POWERUPS~]
>Mushoku Tensei - Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu (Jobless Reincarnation - It will be All Out if I Go to Another World)
[Grown NEET to Child] his arrogant grown personality forgets that he's man-child at heart and body .
>Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken (Regarding Reincarnated to Slime)
More in it for side characters
>Kenja no Mago (Magi’s Grandson)
Everyone being freaked out/surprised on how OP MC is, other than that it's a like a slice of life school setting but with demons being demons.
>Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchuu
Overpowered MC with 2 powerful female monster servants while trying to stake a claim for their people and fit into the world. MC has a Goddess that hate him, but it never comes up.
>Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo no Dorei Majutsu (The King of Darkness Another World Story: Slave Magic)
MC becomes his OP (World of Warcraft RP) demon lord character, acquired slave bitches on the getgo. A little like Overlord

Another point:
Much of the monologue that was missing was Ainz himself being a complete and utter bitch internally. The lack of this monologue ironically made a whole bunch of people brand him as a typical power fantasy in a genre full of power fantasies when in reality all he's got going for him is a lot of dedication.

Ainz is pretty much the least intelligent member of the main cast. He's not an idiot, but literally every other member of Nazarick has a more diverse skill set and better intellectual capacity.

It's a sad thing because I loved the LNs and a lot of people dismiss the entire franchise out of hand because of this aspect of the anime.

Nah, food is the main focus for most of the series. It would turn out mediocre without the visuals if adapted into a novel.

Overlord is an actual fantasy 'epic' in weeb form. I find it to be more entertaining than the Song of Ice and Fire series. It's silly and fantastical enough to make its quirky characters fun and it is much less pretentious about the edgy gratuitous brutality and the moral ambiguity of the main characters.

>implying there aren't a couple absolute gems

The lyrics of the intro theme become very meaningful once you've read the whole LN.

>shildfag
>palatable
It's fun enough, but I would never recomend it to anyone who isn't deep into weeb shit. It's a pretty generic harem and the MC isn't that edgy, and is mostly pushed into doing anything slighly bad. It's nearly as bad as Deathmarch: borderline Mary Sue MC "reluctantly" makes his own loli harem, becomes the strongest warrior ever, wins the day every time. Fuck this.

Has Ainz met anyone that can challenge him yet?

Overlord is the first Isekai I enjoyed in a while. Log Horizon has retroactively been annihilated from my memory after season 2

Only his own subordinates.

I thought the entire point was that he's unbeatable, paranoid, and slowly becoming a monster?

Jesus Christ that pleb-tier taste.

>MC isn't that edgy
which is why I said "kindof", as people might not enjoy reading a character being a depressed for a good amount of time, even if for good reason. Then there's the Dragon Shield

Never read Deathmarch, would probably read it just to experience it.
I meant to use palatable as "good enough for consumption" and isn't like Overlord that activates my gag reflex.
True enough its more for those that are really into manga.

Your opinions are worthless.

His main challenger so far has been himself. However, the novel has hinted that Albedo is forming some sort of secret police and that she hates the other "Supreme Beings" that abandoned the NPCs and is iching to destroy them. Even if the NW has nothing that could kill Ainz, there could be something of a civil war later on.

I found this one to be much better, particularly because it kept the general theme of isekai and tried (and succeeded I think) to incorporate it into the overall plot, unlike Overlord which just used that as a shallow justification to bill its ordinary fantasy as an isekai for sales

So what does the Goal of All life is Death do again?

Prunus Girl

Removes death immunities but the death spells only activate after tgoalid ends